Luis Corpus - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Engineer at SONDA
Reseller
Stable with good pricing but needs a better interface
  • "The interface is decent."
  • "The solution could use very well-defined support for resellers."

What is our primary use case?

I occasionally implement Fortinet for clients.

In the most recent instance, we had a cloud implemented and I was driving the infrastructure. The client had separate areas inside it purposely. They needed to implement a FortiGate solution in the same client, with different VMs, for different clients, to make different areas for these clients.

What is most valuable?

It's great that we can have separate services for the same client.

It's a complete solution. You only need to deploy it once. You can have many clients and many services for these clients in the same VM. It's a solution that works very well for companies that may need separated sections.

It makes things less expensive for clients. The pricing is good.

The interface is decent.

Technical support has a lot of knowledge.

The initial setup is simple.

The solution is stable.

It can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The solution could use very well-defined support for resellers. There isn't necessarily 24/7 support and resolution.

The interface could be improved.

The product could have more protocol routing options.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate-VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

If you need to scale, this is a good option.

The technical support is pretty good. We are quite satisfied with the level of service on offer.

The initial setup process is very easy and straightforward. It's not difficult or complex.

We only need three people for deployment and maintenance. It's not a solution that requires a big team. You might need one or two field engineers.

What other advice do I have?

I'm working in a Fortinet partner company. I'm a reseller.

I'm dealing with the latest version of the product.

I like the 100F version, and it may be a good option for most clients, however, it might not be right for every company. It's a good idea to figure out what you need before you decide to avoid purchasing something that's not right for your company's needs.

IT Support Team Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Gives us strong security and is well-tailored to our organization's needs
  • "The best part about FortiGate-VM is its strong security."
  • "One thing that can be better is added automation. And, on top of that, enhanced security when it comes to the automation itself."

What is our primary use case?

We are using FortiGate-VM for the protection of our internal network and also for VPN services. Right now, there are about 200 end users in our main office and in other business units we have an additional 100-200 end users. We have about five different firewalls, yet almost all of our units are using FortiGate-VM. So, in total, we have about 500-600 users.

What is most valuable?

The best part about FortiGate-VM is its strong security. Besides that, it's nice that there are different models for different sizes of businesses. For example, there are models tailored to enterprise companies and small organizations, and the model that we are using is perfectly suitable for our usage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for five years.

I think it is stable.

I am impressed by its scalability, given that we are already using it for over 500 users. And, in future, we plan to increase usage even more.

We have used Palo Alto before, but we switched because at that time Fortinet was more scalable and there were more options available.

I also use Sophos Firewall, though not within the organization, but rather just for small business or personal use.

Currently, we only require the services of three engineers and administrators on our technical team when it comes to deployment and maintenance.

The license we pay is a yearly fee. I can't say it's very expensive; it is a good price and is highly suitable for our usage.

What other advice do I have?

FortiGate-VM is a good solution, and I would say one of the best solutions on the market.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate-VM
December 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Technology Manager and ISMS Auditor at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Easy to use with a straightforward installation and good performance
  • "The performance overall is very good."
  • "There should be a bit more automation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewall capabilities and security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. It's not overly difficult.

The product is quite stable. We didn't have any issues related to stability at all.

The performance overall is very good.

The installation process is straightforward.

The pricing is okay.

We've found the scalability to be good.

What needs improvement?

There should be a bit more automation.

There could be more integration capabilities.

Technical support could be better.

The solution needs more features surrounding event log management.

We used the solution for three or four years.

The solution is very stable. It's reliable and the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is quite scalable. If a company needs to expand the solution, it has the capabilities to do so.

We have about 500 people on the solution currently.

We've since moved away from the solution to a cloud-based product. We don't intent to increase usage for that reason.

We would like the technical support to be slightly improved. We aren't completely satisfied with it at this time.

The initial setup is not complex at all. It's very straightforward. It's simple.

I can't recall exactly how long the deployment process took.

We had two technicians that handled the implementation. It doesn't take a lot of people.

We found the pricing to be okay. It's reasonable and not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We were customers and end-users of the product. That is no longer the case.

We've moved off of the product recently. We wanted a cloud-based option and therefore we switched.

Overall, I would recommend the solution. I would rate it at a ten out of ten.

Information Security Manager at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use and setup but could use more documentation and true layer-7 protection
  • "I have worked on some of the largest and smallest solutions that Fortinet sells and they all scale really well."

What is our primary use case?

We use FortiGate-VM to access clients' networks. These are generally Azure cloud environments in which we set up resources for clients to use.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable FortiGate-VM features are the ease of use and setup.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, FortiGate-VM is a little different to set up than other firewalls that I've managed. It would be better if it was just a little more mainstream. Some more documentation would be nice as well. Documentation has always kind of been our problem with FortiGate-VM.

There's a lot of stuff I like about FortiGate-VM, but like I said, we still do a lot more Palo Alto firewalls than anything because they have true layer-seven attack prevention. FortiGate-VM does have that too, but it doesn't work as well. I would like to see more layer-seven functionality and expect to realistically block things at the top level.

We have been using this solution for two years.

FortiGate-VM is stable. They have been okay for everything that I have done with them.

The initial setup is straightforward and only takes hours to deploy.

We implemented FortiGate-VM in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you're on the latest stable versions when you update code and stuff like that. That's one of the things that we've had some issues with in the past.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Real time threat intelligence in a virtual form factor
  • "The initial setup is very user-friendly."
  • "With FortiGate, we sometimes encounter bugs in various operating systems."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the use cases that we have are SD-WAN and perimeter firewall related.

Our clients are mostly small to medium-sized businesses. We also have large enterprise clients that range from 1,000 to 8,000 users. We haven't planned to increase the usage, but we are currently using Fortinet FortiGate-VM for perimeter firewalls and SD-WAN for our branch offices.

How has it helped my organization?

FortiGate-VM is easier to deploy than physical solutions that require you to have an RNE as then you need to wait a couple of days or months for another physical appliance to be delivered. With VM, if we already have available servers in the network, we can just deploy FortiGate.

What needs improvement?

With FortiGate, we sometimes encounter bugs in various operating systems. Also, sometimes the security policies are hard to apply specifically when it comes to web filtering.

We've been using FortiGate-VM from the moment I began in my company. So that was two years ago.

This solution is very stable.

The technical support for FortiGate-VM is the same for the physical VM — they're very responsive.

The initial setup is very user-friendly.

For FortiGate-VM, we mostly have UTP Bundle. MA is for three to five years, but we just discovered that VM is cheaper; we found that it actually costs more than a physical appliance excluding the servers for the platform.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Private Cloud
João Garcia - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Stable and scalable; great web filtering
  • "It's almost perfect. It's very stable. We don't have many hardware issues."
  • "The user interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have many Fortinet use cases in Brazil. One particular use case could happen at a high school; they want a new firewall and high availability to their students to access the internet. They want a secure way to connect to the internet. We are proposing FortiGate 200TF.

What is most valuable?

One of the most important features is web filtering. They can block certain types of websites. This is good for in-school security. I believe this is the most important but all of the other filters are also very important, including the antivirus and antispam inspection.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved, but as a firewall, it's the best product we have.

It's almost perfect. It's very stable. We don't have many hardware issues.

It is a scalable solution. For example, in one use case, we have 500 students using the solution. Two technicians are managing the solution, which one software person designed. On the customer end, they need a person overseeing the security.

Their tech support is very good. We always get good answers from Fortinet tech support.

We recommend that the FortiGate logs be analyzed using FortiAnalyzer, which is a Fortinet tool for generating reports. We also advise customers to implement user passwords for all students so they can track which student accessed which website, or which student has been on their email. It's a form of protection for the school. If the school has any issues, they can prove the origin of it.

Principal Network Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Intuitive solution with comprehensive features and an extensive threat database
  • "FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard."
  • "FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for advanced security in the cloud, as well as SD-WAN and branch connectivity. We use version 6.4 and are just now moving to 7.0.

What is most valuable?

FortiGate-VM has many valuable features: it's easy to use, it's intuitive, it's got very good traffic inspection features, it's got comprehensive filtering categories, and it has an extensive threat database, using FortiGuard.

What needs improvement?

FortiGate-VM could be improved by making it cloud-based. I'd like it to be a cloud-based management solution instead of just a dedicated management orchestration tool.

I have been using FortiGate-VM for five years.

Personally, I like Fortinet support. I know other colleagues and people think it's slow, but I don't.

I used FortiGate for 10 years. I also have experience with Azure Firewall Premium, Cisco ASA, and Cisco Firepower.

The installation is really easy. There's HA deployment in the marketplace involving Azure and AWS. I handle the installation myself.

I implement this solution myself for customers.

There are yearly or monthly licenses which you can choose from.

What other advice do I have?

I rate FortiGate-VM an eight out of ten. I recommend this solution to others. There's a use case, like any cloud-based firewall.

We're an MSP, so we sell, configure, and manage these solutions for customers.

VINAY GUJARATHI - PeerSpot reviewer
Owner at Mindware Computer Solutions
Reseller
A scalable security solution with a valuable network security feature
  • "The most valuable features are network security, VLAN, network protection, and encryption are very valuable to us."
  • "Integration could be better. Whatever devices I'm using with FortiGate are all compatible. The access points and switches are also FortiGate, so I can easily integrate them. But it would be better if we could embed other devices as well. There are compatibility issues with other brands, and we need that. We can only integrate universal brands with FortiGate. The initial setup could also be easier."

What is our primary use case?

We installed Fortinet FortiGate-VM for security purposes. Our main motivation is for security reasons and improving networking.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are network security, VLAN, network protection, and encryption are very valuable to us.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. Whatever devices I'm using with FortiGate are all compatible. The access points and switches are also FortiGate, so I can easily integrate them. But it would be better if we could embed other devices as well. There are compatibility issues with other brands, and we need that. We can only integrate universal brands with FortiGate. The initial setup could also be easier.

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate-VM for three years.

It's stable, and our customers aren't giving us much of a problem.

Our customers are very happy with its scalability.

Technical support is good. However, we're not satisfied with partner support, and we're looking to diversify. We have signed up, and we're training our engineers.

The initial setup is a little complex. Not too complex, but it's good because we like to work. It takes half an hour at most to install and deploy this solution.

We're a reseller, and we implement this solution.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Fortinet FortiGate-VM an eight.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator, reseller
Download our free Fortinet FortiGate-VM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022