Engineering Lead PAM with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Session management isolates users' machines, maintaining privileged session in the event of an attack
  • "The biggest feature is the security of the overall solution. It's very secure. The vaulting technology and the number of security layers involved in the vault, where privileged accounts are actually stored, is the heart of the solution."
  • "More than the product itself, there is room for improvement in the documentation. The documentation should be very detailed and very structured. It has a lot of good information, on one level, but I feel that it could be more elaborate and more structured."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of CyberArk is controlling privileged access. It is good at providing various privileged access controls. The CyberArk use case can be implemented on various platforms.

Password rotation is another key use case. There are many integrations available on the CyberArk Marketplace, plugins and connectors with different technologies to be integrated with CyberArk to achieve this use case.

I've had an experience of deploying CyberArk in on-premise and in the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

For any use case, session management is a key because it isolates users' machines to the target system. That way then, if an attack happens on a user's machine, the privileged session is still an isolated session. The privileged session is not interrupted.

What is most valuable?

In general, all CyberArk's features are very useful from a privileged account control point of view, and for session management and password rotation.

The biggest feature is the security of the overall solution. It's very secure. The vaulting technology and the number of security layers involved in the vault, where privileged accounts are actually stored, is the heart of the solution.

There are many other important features of CyberArk:

• Privileged Session Manager (PSM) connects you to the target platform.
  • Password management (CPM) provides automatic password rotations, including password verification and reconciliation.
  • Auditability, which means CyberArk keeps track of logs and audit trails, including session recording, which is another key feature.

The password management enables the rotation of passwords per an organization's policy. Passwords can be rotated after N number of hours or based on a particular day. It's a very key feature from a security point of view, because passwords are meant to be rotated very frequently. CyberArk does it very well with different plugins.

What needs improvement?

More than the product itself, there is room for improvement in the documentation. The documentation should be very detailed and very structured. It has a lot of good information, on one level, but I feel that it could be more elaborate and more structured. That would make it easier when somebody is implementing it or referencing the documentation.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have used CyberArk Privileged Access Manager for approximately seven years.

It is a very stable and reliable product.

It is scalable and scaling it is straightforward. It has been designed and planned well, making it easy to scale the environment.

We have frequently worked with CyberArk technical support. In the last year their support has been changed. I would rate it at about seven out of 10. It depends on the person who picks up the support ticket. If that person is fairly proficient in his experience, the response will be quick. Otherwise, it can take time. But, in general, it's good.

Neutral

The complexity of the initial setup depends on the organization's underlying infrastructure, on the environment in which the development is happening. Sometimes the environment on which the product is being installed is more of a challenge than the product. That plays a key role. And, as I mentioned, it's a bit of a challenge because of the documentation at the moment. It needs to be much more user-friendly

The time for deployment also depends on the environment in which the product is being deployed. The technology landscape is very complex. With an end-to-end implementation, it can vary depending on whether the environment is small or medium or complex, and what types of use cases are involved. If it is just a simple environment and minimal features need to be configured, it can be straightforward and take a few days. But if it's a really large-scale, complex environment, where multiple integrations are required, because the underlying requirement to deploy CyberArk with other applications is complex, it will definitely take longer.

Generally, I don't get involved in the licensing or the purchasing side of it, but I do know that the licenses are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It's a long journey and it needs to be set out in phases very well, starting with something small and gradually implementing PAM controls across whatever multiple technologies an organization uses. It's a long-term project to fully deploy and benefit from all of CyberArk's features.

Rather than being about the product, it's more about the overall PAM journey that a company decides to take. It's a very complex world, integrating multiple applications within CyberArk. There are various technical complexities involved, not with CyberArk, but with the other products.

But it's worthwhile. CyberArk does its job very well. All the components are very useful and the benefits are all evident. CyberArk is the number-one PAM solution.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
Mateusz Kordeusz - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us to automate our jobs and administrative tasks
  • "It improves security in our company. We have more than 10,000 accounts that we manage in CyberArk. We use these accounts for SQLs, Windows Server, and Unix. Therefore, keeping these passwords up-to-date in another solution or software would be impossible. Now, we have some sort of a platform to manage passwords, distribute the inflow, and manage IT teams as well as making regular changes to it according to the internal security policies in our bank."
  • "We don't often contact technical support, but when we do it, the response could be faster and better."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, CyberArk is used to manage passwords for IP use. We use CyberArk for managing and automatically changing passwords in our managed system and environment.

We use it for coding privileged sessions, but we also use another solution for that, and CyberArk is the backup for this.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves security in our company. We have more than 10,000 accounts that we manage in CyberArk. We use these accounts for SQLs, Windows Server, and Unix. Therefore, keeping these passwords up-to-date in another solution or software would be impossible. Now, we have some sort of a platform to manage passwords, distribute the inflow, and manage IT teams as well as making regular changes according to the internal security policies in our bank.

CyberArk PAM gives us a single pane of glass to manage and secure identities across multiple environments. This is quite important for compliance reasons.

CyberArk PAM provides quantitative risk analysis for every human and machine identity in our environment. This has a big impact on reducing risk.

What is most valuable?

The PAM feature is the most valuable. It helps us to automate our jobs and administrative tasks.

It also gives us a lot of features for compliance. Using this type of software is required by Polish law in finance and business in Poland.

We use CyberArk’s Secrets Manager to secure and manage secrets and credentials for mission-critical applications. The newest GUI is much better than the older version. Now, it is quite good.

CyberArk PAM provides an automated and unified approach for securing access to all types of identities that we use. This is very important to us.

What needs improvement?

I would like advanced RPA in the basic license. CyberArk has RPA, but we would need to buy additional licenses. It is not out-of-the-box.

I would like better support.

I have been using it for five years.

So far, we don't have any problems. We have implemented higher availability in CyberArk. So, maintenance or updates don't have an impact on our environment. We don't have performance problems or anything like that. The stability is very high.

I have had no problem with agility in this solution. Everything works fine and gives us an opportunity to act as we want.

According to the information that I have, we simply add more servers if we need it or have additional business requirements. So, scalability is high.

There are about 155 users. Mostly, they are our IT administrators and developers.

This tool is used daily in our bank. We don't have plans to increase usage right now.

We don't often contact technical support, but when we do it, the response could be faster and better.

Neutral

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup was complex. Our deployment took three months.

We needed to scale our environment and implement the correct number of servers to prepare for a working environment.

Implementation of our CyberArk instance was done by an external company. It covered all our needs and requirements.

We have not seen ROI directly in money. However, we have seen ROI in quality. It increases security in our IT environment and provides the highest SLA for our systems.

CyberArk PAM helps save us time when it comes to onboarding new employees and providing them secure access to SaaS apps and IT systems. It is saving us about two to three days per new employee.

We use an old model for pricing. The new model is a subscription model on the cloud.

The price of CyberArk support could be a little bit less. Otherwise, pricing is fine.

We did some benchmarking, without the tools, to compare the cost of maintenance and functionality. We compared CyberArk to Password Manager Pro from ManageEngine. CyberArk has more functionality and better stability, in our opinion. The price was very similar between the two solutions.

What other advice do I have?

CyberArk is a good technology partner. They help us a lot with maintenance and our security process management.

I don't have experience in the cloud using CyberArk. However, for on-premises environments, it works very well. I recommend it.

I would rate the solution as a nine out of 10.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager
November 2022
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Meo Ist - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Product Manager and Technology Consultant at Barikat
Greta digital vault, very robust, and offers great integration capabilities
  • "It is a robust product."
  • "It is very complex and difficult to set up the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use CyberArk as a password vault and session recordings and to connect the server sites. I use some critical systems if I can access them, including workflows and mechanisms.

What is most valuable?

It's really good.

The digital vault is great. It protects our passwords and manages those passwords and changing periods.

There is some third-party access to our system's recording process. It's very, very important for us and we're glad they allow it.

It is a robust product. It's very stable and reliable.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be updated a bit. Right now, it's not very good.

It is very complex and difficult to set up the solution.

Maybe some customers have a lot of systems. For example, we have 1000 Windows systems and 500 Linux systems. I need a remote desktop management solution for the CyberArk. I'd like to be able to change desktops with one click. We'd like the next release to have remote desktop management tools.

I've been using the solution for the last five years.

The solution is very stable.

We no have had no performance issues; it's a really robust product. If I need more performance, I use another server, install another server, and improve our performance.

It is very easily scalable.

We have 50 admins on this solution.

We are using the solution to 70% capacity. We do plan to increase usage.

We did use Delinea, formally Thycotic. That solution is really good, however, not fully secure. CyberArk is a more secure product - much better than Thycotic. Thycotic may be better in terms of its admin-friendly interface and integration, however, CyberArk offers more than vendor integration. It has massive integration capabilities.

The implementation and integration process is very, very complex. It is a robust product, however. I don't have to do a lot of setups, luckily. However, when you first set it up, it's very difficult as you don't really know what you're doing.

The first 27% of the implementation took us maybe three months, however, for more than 95% of installation, it took us over one year. We had all the features up and running, however.

We started with connection and session recording features, however, items such as password changing and other integrations, for example, firewall connection and switch interface connection were rolled out over the year.

You only need one person to maintain the solution.

We had a third party help us with the implementation process.

It's a yearly license that we pay. It is more expensive than other options. There are competitive products that are cheaper.

I can't speak to the exact price. On a scale of one to five, with one being the most expensive, I would rate it a one. The license covers five servers. If you need more servers, you pay more. The same is true with disaster sites. If you need a disaster site, you are fine. It is included. If you need more, you need to pay for it.

We did look at multi-factor authentification options and zero-trust network access.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It's likely the latest version.

This is a fully secure product and integrates with a lot of different systems. I'd recommend the product to others.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: ex-partner, changed companies a month ago
Furqan Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at Pronet
Works well and is easy to set up but support needs a faster response time
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The support services could act faster when people reach out to resolve issues."

What is our primary use case?

It is a PAM solution, in which we provide privileged access to CyberArk and the users who are using to try to access their devices. They onboard on the CyberArk and then, whenever they need to access the devices, they get access to CyberArk which means they have to log in on CyberArk.

What is most valuable?

The models as a whole are great. I'm not sure if I can pull out specific features. I like that if we execute the user can't access their devices. If you remove the session manager, the user can't access their devices. It helps ensure we can protect our organization and data. The session manager is the most critical part of CyberArk's PAM solution.

It works perfectly well.

The solution is pretty easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

The support services could act faster when people reach out to resolve issues.

I've been using the solution for the last two years.

It's a stable product.

We have deployed CyberArk for two years, and so far, we haven't received any issues regarding any bugs or anything like that. We haven't faced any issues. There are some challenges regarding user access. We have to explain to users who are not familiar with the PAM solution what to do, however, regarding stability, or regarding bugs we haven't faced any issues.

It's a scalable product. For example, in my scenario, the deployment that I have done, if I want to scale it up or if I want to extend it, I can easily add the next module in that. There are no challenges regarding scalability.

I have only one deployment in Pakistan. It is at one of the largest banks in Pakistan here which has thousands of users on CyberArk.

Technical support is good. I haven't faced any issues. If you're looking at the response time, I will say that it's quite a long wait.

The setup process of CyberArk is quite typical. Once you understand the process, it is very easy for you. That said, for a newbie, it may be a bit difficult. For example, for the PSM module, we have to make changes in the registry of the devices. You have to collaborate with your system team to make a configuration. I can get complex. That said, once you know, it's very easy.

I have been through the process of implementing the solution for clients.

The licensing can be yearly or over a couple of years. Support needs to be renewed every year.

What other advice do I have?

We have four models which we are using.

The first one has a wall that which we have deployed on the particular server. The next one is the CPM which is the Central Policy Manager through which we enforce the password policy and password rotation policies.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

We have conducted a POC in Pakistan on multiple sites with different customers. CyberArk is a quite typical product and can be a bit expensive, so it's a good idea to try it out first and make sure it is what you need.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Rodney Dapilmoto - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Admin Analyst 3 at CPS Energy
The Privileged Session Manager Proxy makes it extremely convenient for UNIX Administrators to utilize their favorite SSH client software
  • "The Password Upload Utility tool makes it easier when setting up a Safe that contains multiple accounts and has cut down the amount of time that it takes to complete the task."
  • "Currently, in Secure Connect, an end user is required to enter account information manually, and cannot save any of this information for future use."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for privileged systems access with a high emphasis on security. End users are required to go through a process of being vetted in our NERC environment in order to use the solution. This product has been used by my company for about five years now.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has placed a new culture in my company by making employees more aware of IT compliance and cyber security. It has also placed us in a position to meet NERC CIP v6 requirements.

What is most valuable?

Using the PSMP (Privileged Session Manager Proxy) makes it extremely convenient for UNIX Administrators to utilize their favorite SSH client software (i.e. SecureCRT or Putty) to connect to a privileged target without having to go through the PVWA web login.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the product enhancement with the Secure Connect feature. Today, there is no functionality to create "Accounts" using Secure Connect to permanently store a user's working tab. It is a tedious manual process of entering host IP information and user credentials into a privileged target system.

Currently, in Secure Connect, an end user is required to enter account information manually, and cannot save any of this information for future use. It’s a manual process of entering information all the time. Unless you are working with accounts already stored in “Safes”.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

We have noticed some stability issues with the PSM Servers. We've noticed that there may be a limitation on the number of users that a PSM Server can handle. We have two PSM Servers deployed in our Production environment and have come to a conclusion that we may need to add two more to stabilize the environment.

Upgrading to version 9.9 significantly reduced the stability issues with the PSM Servers and the limitation on the number of users that the PSM can handle.

CyberArk could use some improvement in their level of customer service. Sometimes, it can take more than a day before a Case that I have submitted online gets a response from tech support.

The level of technical support has been great. The challenge has been to get an initial response and sometimes follow-up from CyberArk Support.

If you are going to set up CyberArk for the first time, I highly recommend that you utilize their Professional Services. They are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful and will ensure that your implementation is a success.

We use Texas DIR when evaluation and making purchases of products.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently on version 9.10. We would like to upgrade to the latest version some time this year. There is currently a CyberArk Security Bulleting CA19-09 that addresses potential administrative manipulations within the PVWA and the Digital Vault. CyberArk has released patch 9.10.4 to address the PVWA and they are working on releasing a patch for the Vault Server.

Rodney Dapilmoto - PeerSpot reviewer
Rodney DapilmotoSystems Admin Analyst 3 at CPS Energy
Top 10Real User

We do not use CyberArk PTA in our environment.

Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Beneficial secure server assess, useful user log access, and good support
  • "CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's main benefit is it provides secure access to our servers. There are features to capture the user activity, it provides video recording processing. If the users are logged in to the server, we can see what activities they are performing. It's a very nice tool for Privileged Access Management. They have plenty of useful services and the solution has fulfilled our needs."
  • "The solution could improve by adding more connectors."

What is our primary use case?

I am using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager to protect our servers. It can be either a Windows or Linux Server. Additionally, we have some network devices, and databases, such as Oracle and MySQL Server being protected.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our organization a lot. It has fulfilled some guidelines from the Indian government. There is some Indian government guideline for anonymity and access management. Similarly, there are guidelines for GDPR, and where we have vendor's control. CyberArk Privileged Access Manager has helped us to meet all the requirements.

What is most valuable?

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's main benefit is it provides secure access to our servers. There are features to capture the user activity, it provides video recording processing. If the users are logged in to the server, we can see what activities they are performing. It's a very nice tool for Privileged Access Management. They have plenty of useful services and the solution has fulfilled our needs.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding more connectors.

I have been using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager for two and a half years.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is a stable and reliable solution.

We have approximately 200 people using this solution.

The support team from CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is very good.

I have not used other solutions.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's initial setup is straightforward. However, it can depend on many factors, such as architecture.

I used a partner for the implementation of the CyberArk Privileged Access Manager.

The number of people required for the implementation of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager depends on the number of applications. However, for my team, we have two to four people who were involved in the development of our architecture.

From a technology perspective, CyberArk Privileged Access Manager has helped us to improve our services. It helped us to meet our requirements or guidelines. Whether it's audit perspective, internal, or external, whatever the guideline is, it meets our needs. If there are any independent agencies that need to be involved we meet those requirements.

The price of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is expensive. There are no other fees other than the standard licensing fees.

As part of our company's policies, we have to evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that requirements should be discussed properly with all the stakeholders to understand their expectations. Additionally, it is important to explore our tool limitations. We should more focus on solution designing.

I rate CyberArk Privileged Access Manager a nine out of ten.

Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and great for securing environments but could be more user-friendly
  • "The solution is scalable."
  • "It can be made user-friendly, in the sense of the console is pretty outdated."

What is our primary use case?

CyberArk is for Privileged Access Management, so we secure our privileged accounts using CyberArk.

What is most valuable?

The main, most valuable aspect is its capability to secure our environment. That's the main reason why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

It can be made user-friendly, in the sense of the console is pretty outdated. They could add more enhancements, et cetera.

They could add more built-in connection components to support various other application platforms. The built-in connection components available are mostly not fit for our purpose. We need to do additional customization to make it work.

I’ve used the solution for almost two years.

Stability is fine so far, other than a couple of phishes every once in a while.

25 people are using the solution.

The solution is scalable. It’s on the cloud, which makes it simple.

We have enterprise support from the vendors.

The response time could be a bit better. Some people don’t have the access to be able to jump in right away. Sometimes we need someone from the development team who has access to help.

Neutral

I’ve never had experience with any other vendors.

The initial setup was not that straightforward. However, we had vendor support, and we were able to fix all the issues.

It took us almost a month to deploy the solution.

I’d rate the solution a three out of five in terms of ease of setup.

In terms of maintenance, some of the components are not in the cloud, so we handle these aspects ourselves. We have a dedicated team for it.

We initiated the setup with the help of the vendor.

I don’t deal with the licensing. That said, my understanding is that it is on the higher side.

When we need enhancements, we do have to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

We are CyberArk partners. I’m a consultant.

We’re always using the most up-to-date solution version, as we are utilizing the cloud.

We use it mostly to secure our privileged accounts. We don't actively use any other products of CyberArk.

I’d recommend the solution. It’s ideal for smaller organizations.

I would rate it seven out of ten.

Muamer Riza Gani - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Vice President for Cyber Security Project at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Plenty of features, scalable, and responsive support
  • "All of the features of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager are valuable."
  • "The initial setup of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager difficulty depends on the environment that you are implementing it into. However, it typically is simple."

What is our primary use case?

We are using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager for securing access to the host or the server. The solution has the capability to record activity on the server, rotate the passwords, kick out an active user, and complete an action if suspicious activity is triggered on the server. We typically only use the solution for accessing the target server and for password rotations.

How has it helped my organization?

One of the benefits of using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is we have an audit trail that fits the requirements of our organization and we are more secure using the features of the solution, such as investigating and tracking.

What is most valuable?

All of the features of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager are valuable.

I have been using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager for approximately six months.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is stable.

The scalability of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is very good.

We have approximately 300 users using the solution.

The partner support we have in Indonesia is fast and responsive to our needs. They are available if we are facing a problem. However, there is still room for improvement.

I rate the support from CyberArk Privileged Access Manager an eight out of ten.

Positive

I was previously using MEGA HOPEX.

The initial setup of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager difficulty depends on the environment that you are implementing it into. However, it typically is simple.

I rate the initial setup of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager a five out of ten.

We use a third party to do the implementation of the solution. We purchased preventive and corrective maintenance from our partner.

There are additional features added to our CyberArk Privileged Access Manager license. For example, features that allow us to integrate into various kinds of platforms.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It has great value and it ensures your environment is secure and it is most important in production. If your company is a financial institution it is a lot of times mandatory to have a solution similar to this in operation because of cyber security concerns. We need to have preventive or professional action and one of those elements is to have a secure platform.

I rate CyberArk Privileged Access Manager an eight out of ten.

Download our free CyberArk Privileged Access Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022