IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Helps us to automate our jobs and administrative tasks
  • "It improves security in our company. We have more than 10,000 accounts that we manage in CyberArk. We use these accounts for SQLs, Windows Server, and Unix. Therefore, keeping these passwords up-to-date in another solution or software would be impossible. Now, we have some sort of a platform to manage passwords, distribute the inflow, and manage IT teams as well as making regular changes to it according to the internal security policies in our bank."
  • "We don't often contact technical support, but when we do it, the response could be faster and better."

What is our primary use case?

In our company, CyberArk is used to manage passwords for IP use. We use CyberArk for managing and automatically changing passwords in our managed system and environment.

We use it for coding privileged sessions, but we also use another solution for that, and CyberArk is the backup for this.

We are using the latest version.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves security in our company. We have more than 10,000 accounts that we manage in CyberArk. We use these accounts for SQLs, Windows Server, and Unix. Therefore, keeping these passwords up-to-date in another solution or software would be impossible. Now, we have some sort of a platform to manage passwords, distribute the inflow, and manage IT teams as well as making regular changes according to the internal security policies in our bank.

CyberArk PAM gives us a single pane of glass to manage and secure identities across multiple environments. This is quite important for compliance reasons.

CyberArk PAM provides quantitative risk analysis for every human and machine identity in our environment. This has a big impact on reducing risk.

What is most valuable?

The PAM feature is the most valuable. It helps us to automate our jobs and administrative tasks.

It also gives us a lot of features for compliance. Using this type of software is required by Polish law in finance and business in Poland.

We use CyberArk’s Secrets Manager to secure and manage secrets and credentials for mission-critical applications. The newest GUI is much better than the older version. Now, it is quite good.

CyberArk PAM provides an automated and unified approach for securing access to all types of identities that we use. This is very important to us.

What needs improvement?

I would like advanced RPA in the basic license. CyberArk has RPA, but we would need to buy additional licenses. It is not out-of-the-box.

I would like better support.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager
June 2023
Learn what your peers think about CyberArk Privileged Access Manager. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2023.
708,461 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for five years.

So far, we don't have any problems. We have implemented higher availability in CyberArk. So, maintenance or updates don't have an impact on our environment. We don't have performance problems or anything like that. The stability is very high.

I have had no problem with agility in this solution. Everything works fine and gives us an opportunity to act as we want.

According to the information that I have, we simply add more servers if we need it or have additional business requirements. So, scalability is high.

There are about 155 users. Mostly, they are our IT administrators and developers.

This tool is used daily in our bank. We don't have plans to increase usage right now.

We don't often contact technical support, but when we do it, the response could be faster and better.

Neutral

We didn't previously use another solution.

The initial setup was complex. Our deployment took three months.

We needed to scale our environment and implement the correct number of servers to prepare for a working environment.

Implementation of our CyberArk instance was done by an external company. It covered all our needs and requirements.

We have not seen ROI directly in money. However, we have seen ROI in quality. It increases security in our IT environment and provides the highest SLA for our systems.

CyberArk PAM helps save us time when it comes to onboarding new employees and providing them secure access to SaaS apps and IT systems. It is saving us about two to three days per new employee.

We use an old model for pricing. The new model is a subscription model on the cloud.

The price of CyberArk support could be a little bit less. Otherwise, pricing is fine.

We did some benchmarking, without the tools, to compare the cost of maintenance and functionality. We compared CyberArk to Password Manager Pro from ManageEngine. CyberArk has more functionality and better stability, in our opinion. The price was very similar between the two solutions.

What other advice do I have?

CyberArk is a good technology partner. They help us a lot with maintenance and our security process management.

I don't have experience in the cloud using CyberArk. However, for on-premises environments, it works very well. I recommend it.

I would rate the solution as a nine out of 10.

Meo Ist - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Product Manager and Technology Consultant at Barikat
Reseller
Greta digital vault, very robust, and offers great integration capabilities
  • "It is a robust product."
  • "It is very complex and difficult to set up the solution."

What is our primary use case?

I use CyberArk as a password vault and session recordings and to connect the server sites. I use some critical systems if I can access them, including workflows and mechanisms.

What is most valuable?

It's really good.

The digital vault is great. It protects our passwords and manages those passwords and changing periods.

There is some third-party access to our system's recording process. It's very, very important for us and we're glad they allow it.

It is a robust product. It's very stable and reliable.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be updated a bit. Right now, it's not very good.

It is very complex and difficult to set up the solution.

Maybe some customers have a lot of systems. For example, we have 1000 Windows systems and 500 Linux systems. I need a remote desktop management solution for the CyberArk. I'd like to be able to change desktops with one click. We'd like the next release to have remote desktop management tools.

I've been using the solution for the last five years.

The solution is very stable.

We no have had no performance issues; it's a really robust product. If I need more performance, I use another server, install another server, and improve our performance.

It is very easily scalable.

We have 50 admins on this solution.

We are using the solution to 70% capacity. We do plan to increase usage.

We did use Delinea, formally Thycotic. That solution is really good, however, not fully secure. CyberArk is a more secure product - much better than Thycotic. Thycotic may be better in terms of its admin-friendly interface and integration, however, CyberArk offers more than vendor integration. It has massive integration capabilities.

The implementation and integration process is very, very complex. It is a robust product, however. I don't have to do a lot of setups, luckily. However, when you first set it up, it's very difficult as you don't really know what you're doing.

The first 27% of the implementation took us maybe three months, however, for more than 95% of installation, it took us over one year. We had all the features up and running, however.

We started with connection and session recording features, however, items such as password changing and other integrations, for example, firewall connection and switch interface connection were rolled out over the year.

You only need one person to maintain the solution.

We had a third party help us with the implementation process.

It's a yearly license that we pay. It is more expensive than other options. There are competitive products that are cheaper.

I can't speak to the exact price. On a scale of one to five, with one being the most expensive, I would rate it a one. The license covers five servers. If you need more servers, you pay more. The same is true with disaster sites. If you need a disaster site, you are fine. It is included. If you need more, you need to pay for it.

We did look at multi-factor authentification options and zero-trust network access.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using. It's likely the latest version.

This is a fully secure product and integrates with a lot of different systems. I'd recommend the product to others.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: ex-partner, changed companies a month ago
CyberArk Privileged Access Manager
June 2023
708,461 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Furqan Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at Pronet
Works well and is easy to set up but support needs a faster response time
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "The support services could act faster when people reach out to resolve issues."

What is our primary use case?

It is a PAM solution, in which we provide privileged access to CyberArk and the users who are using to try to access their devices. They onboard on the CyberArk and then, whenever they need to access the devices, they get access to CyberArk which means they have to log in on CyberArk.

What is most valuable?

The models as a whole are great. I'm not sure if I can pull out specific features. I like that if we execute the user can't access their devices. If you remove the session manager, the user can't access their devices. It helps ensure we can protect our organization and data. The session manager is the most critical part of CyberArk's PAM solution.

It works perfectly well.

The solution is pretty easy to set up.

The solution is stable.

It's scalable.

What needs improvement?

The support services could act faster when people reach out to resolve issues.

I've been using the solution for the last two years.

It's a stable product.

We have deployed CyberArk for two years, and so far, we haven't received any issues regarding any bugs or anything like that. We haven't faced any issues. There are some challenges regarding user access. We have to explain to users who are not familiar with the PAM solution what to do, however, regarding stability, or regarding bugs we haven't faced any issues.

It's a scalable product. For example, in my scenario, the deployment that I have done, if I want to scale it up or if I want to extend it, I can easily add the next module in that. There are no challenges regarding scalability.

I have only one deployment in Pakistan. It is at one of the largest banks in Pakistan here which has thousands of users on CyberArk.

Technical support is good. I haven't faced any issues. If you're looking at the response time, I will say that it's quite a long wait.

The setup process of CyberArk is quite typical. Once you understand the process, it is very easy for you. That said, for a newbie, it may be a bit difficult. For example, for the PSM module, we have to make changes in the registry of the devices. You have to collaborate with your system team to make a configuration. I can get complex. That said, once you know, it's very easy.

I have been through the process of implementing the solution for clients.

The licensing can be yearly or over a couple of years. Support needs to be renewed every year.

What other advice do I have?

We have four models which we are using.

The first one has a wall that which we have deployed on the particular server. The next one is the CPM which is the Central Policy Manager through which we enforce the password policy and password rotation policies.

I'd recommend the solution to others.

We have conducted a POC in Pakistan on multiple sites with different customers. CyberArk is a quite typical product and can be a bit expensive, so it's a good idea to try it out first and make sure it is what you need.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Senior Security Consultant at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
It helps our clients have full confidence in their security
  • "With CyberArk, you can be fully confident that your existing accounts are secure. You will be 100 percent"
  • "PAM could be more user-friendly and CyberArk could update the documentation to include more real-world examples. You have to learn it yourself through trial and error. In particular, the online documentation should have more information about troubleshooting."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a security solutions architect. I design solutions and hand them over to the client once they're implemented. We educate the users on how the solution works or turn it over to our managed services department

CyberArk PAM is an identity management solution used to manage privileged accounts on domains and local servers, including admin accounts in Windows environments and root users in Unix.

How has it helped my organization?

With CyberArk, you can be fully confident that your existing accounts are secure. You will be 100 percent secure against attacks if you have all the right policies in place.

What needs improvement?

PAM could be more user-friendly and CyberArk could update the documentation to include more real-world examples. You have to learn it yourself through trial and error. In particular, the online documentation should have more information about troubleshooting.

I have used CyberArk PAM for two years.

CyberArk PAM is stable.

CyberArk PAM is scalable. Managing 80,000 accounts is almost as easy as managing a thousand.

CyberArk has a solid community. It's easy to get support and feedback from the forums. However, it can be difficult to access official technical support if you don't have a CyberArk certification because they have a process to limit unnecessary calls. You get excellent support once you're certified.

Deploying CyberARK is complicated, but it is relatively easy for me because I have excellent scripts for implementing the prerequisites. It might be challenging for the average end user. It would be ideal to educate them in a demo environment because hard to explain this to a user without them. I would need to build an environment to show them. A simulated lab environment is one thing CyberArk PAM lacks.

We set up the prerequisites and discover the privileged accounts in the environment. CyberArk has a tool that scans the servers and detects accounts. This works best in a Microsoft environment. It's more difficult without Active Directory because you have to rely on the information the customer provides. You can begin the onboarding process once you've identified the accounts.

It takes a month to set up the prerequisites and two or three days to install CyberArk PAM. Once it is deployed, it takes eight months to a year to tie up some loose ends. You may need to identify some accounts that you missed. The total time depends on the size and complexity of the user's environment. If you've configured everything correctly, it's simple to maintain.

The ROI for CyberArk PAM is difficult to measure because the benefit is a reduction in risk. If CyberArk can eliminate most of the customer's security risks, then it's worth what they paid.

CyberArk isn't cheap, but it's the best. You have to pay for quality.

What other advice do I have?

I rate CyberArk Privileged Access Manager 10 out of 10. CyberArk is the leader in Gartner's quadrant. I tell my customers that they need to be 100 percent secure—99 percent isn't good enough. The top hackers will exploit that 1 percent hole, and you're finished. You need 100 percent, or else you're wasting your money.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Systems Admin Analyst 3 at CPS Energy
The Privileged Session Manager Proxy makes it extremely convenient for UNIX Administrators to utilize their favorite SSH client software
  • "The Password Upload Utility tool makes it easier when setting up a Safe that contains multiple accounts and has cut down the amount of time that it takes to complete the task."
  • "Currently, in Secure Connect, an end user is required to enter account information manually, and cannot save any of this information for future use."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for privileged systems access with a high emphasis on security. End users are required to go through a process of being vetted in our NERC environment in order to use the solution. This product has been used by my company for about five years now.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has placed a new culture in my company by making employees more aware of IT compliance and cyber security. It has also placed us in a position to meet NERC CIP v6 requirements.

What is most valuable?

Using the PSMP (Privileged Session Manager Proxy) makes it extremely convenient for UNIX Administrators to utilize their favorite SSH client software (i.e. SecureCRT or Putty) to connect to a privileged target without having to go through the PVWA web login.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the product enhancement with the Secure Connect feature. Today, there is no functionality to create "Accounts" using Secure Connect to permanently store a user's working tab. It is a tedious manual process of entering host IP information and user credentials into a privileged target system.

Currently, in Secure Connect, an end user is required to enter account information manually, and cannot save any of this information for future use. It’s a manual process of entering information all the time. Unless you are working with accounts already stored in “Safes”.

I have been using this solution for seven years.

We have noticed some stability issues with the PSM Servers. We've noticed that there may be a limitation on the number of users that a PSM Server can handle. We have two PSM Servers deployed in our Production environment and have come to a conclusion that we may need to add two more to stabilize the environment.

Upgrading to version 9.9 significantly reduced the stability issues with the PSM Servers and the limitation on the number of users that the PSM can handle.

CyberArk could use some improvement in their level of customer service. Sometimes, it can take more than a day before a Case that I have submitted online gets a response from tech support.

The level of technical support has been great. The challenge has been to get an initial response and sometimes follow-up from CyberArk Support.

If you are going to set up CyberArk for the first time, I highly recommend that you utilize their Professional Services. They are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful and will ensure that your implementation is a success.

We use Texas DIR when evaluation and making purchases of products.

What other advice do I have?

We are currently on version 9.10. We would like to upgrade to the latest version some time this year. There is currently a CyberArk Security Bulleting CA19-09 that addresses potential administrative manipulations within the PVWA and the Digital Vault. CyberArk has released patch 9.10.4 to address the PVWA and they are working on releasing a patch for the Vault Server.

Rodney Dapilmoto - PeerSpot reviewer
Rodney DapilmotoSystems Admin Analyst 3 at CPS Energy
Top 20Real User

We do not use CyberArk PTA in our environment.

Oluwajuwon Olorunlona - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Engineer at eprocessconsulting
Highly stable and efficiently automates application authorization
  • "It's secure and reliable. I especially appreciate that it's locked down and only allows access to authorized components."
  • "One thing that could be improved is to create of a better alternative for fixing group policy fees. We currently use Microsoft, but they have introduced new policies that may not be compatible."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for other use cases, such as automating application authorization, managing files, and securing monetary accounts. We use it for managing privileged accounts.

What is most valuable?

I like everything about it. It's secure and reliable. I especially appreciate that it's locked down and only allows access to authorized components.

What needs improvement?

The issue is that in many environments, what I purchase via text is different. We have some policies that are specific to Microsoft environments. For example, my actual manager may not be able to connect to a Microsoft product due to a policy on it. The issue that comes to mind now is how six credentials are managed.

Currently, if you try to log in to any server within the environment, you would need to log in every time, regardless of whether you have already received the credential or if the connecting device is present or not. It is a problem with CyberArk. If CyberArk could find a way to solve this, it would greatly improve the experience.

I'm not sure if it is possible to fix this. It's not a point of entry, but it may require a longer string than the user might want to know, or maybe cheaper right now. If CyberArk can find a solution that improves the experience, it would be beneficial to customers.

Another thing is that there are some time needs that could be improved in the future. One thing that could be improved is to create of a better alternative for fixing group policy fees. We currently use Microsoft, but they have introduced new policies that may not be compatible.

I've been working with it for three years. I'm currently working with version 12 of the solution, and I've also worked with version 10 and partition 11.

The number of users is about 3,305, and it is stable. We don't have any small clients, mainly medium and enterprise businesses.

I would rate stability a ten out of ten, and it's very stable.

I would rate scalability an eight out of ten. It's not perfect, but it's fairly scalable.

Some things need improvement. The solution doesn't provide sufficient support. I contacted them at one point, but it took several months to get a response. Additionally, we had an issue with account balances that took a while to resolve. That was four or five years ago, though. Other than that, it's a decent solution.

Positive

Regarding the initial setup, I would say it's pretty straightforward on a scale from one to ten, where one is difficult and ten is easy. I'd give it a nine. Deployment took less than a week.

I deployed the solution.

It is pretty pricey. I would rate it a seven on a scale of one to ten, where one is cheap, and ten is very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate the solution a ten out of ten.

Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Beneficial secure server assess, useful user log access, and good support
  • "CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's main benefit is it provides secure access to our servers. There are features to capture the user activity, it provides video recording processing. If the users are logged in to the server, we can see what activities they are performing. It's a very nice tool for Privileged Access Management. They have plenty of useful services and the solution has fulfilled our needs."
  • "The solution could improve by adding more connectors."

What is our primary use case?

I am using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager to protect our servers. It can be either a Windows or Linux Server. Additionally, we have some network devices, and databases, such as Oracle and MySQL Server being protected.

How has it helped my organization?

It's improved our organization a lot. It has fulfilled some guidelines from the Indian government. There is some Indian government guideline for anonymity and access management. Similarly, there are guidelines for GDPR, and where we have vendor's control. CyberArk Privileged Access Manager has helped us to meet all the requirements.

What is most valuable?

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's main benefit is it provides secure access to our servers. There are features to capture the user activity, it provides video recording processing. If the users are logged in to the server, we can see what activities they are performing. It's a very nice tool for Privileged Access Management. They have plenty of useful services and the solution has fulfilled our needs.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by adding more connectors.

I have been using CyberArk Privileged Access Manager for two and a half years.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is a stable and reliable solution.

We have approximately 200 people using this solution.

The support team from CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is very good.

I have not used other solutions.

CyberArk Privileged Access Manager's initial setup is straightforward. However, it can depend on many factors, such as architecture.

I used a partner for the implementation of the CyberArk Privileged Access Manager.

The number of people required for the implementation of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager depends on the number of applications. However, for my team, we have two to four people who were involved in the development of our architecture.

From a technology perspective, CyberArk Privileged Access Manager has helped us to improve our services. It helped us to meet our requirements or guidelines. Whether it's audit perspective, internal, or external, whatever the guideline is, it meets our needs. If there are any independent agencies that need to be involved we meet those requirements.

The price of CyberArk Privileged Access Manager is expensive. There are no other fees other than the standard licensing fees.

As part of our company's policies, we have to evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others that requirements should be discussed properly with all the stakeholders to understand their expectations. Additionally, it is important to explore our tool limitations. We should more focus on solution designing.

I rate CyberArk Privileged Access Manager a nine out of ten.

Consultant at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Reliable and great for securing environments but could be more user-friendly
  • "The solution is scalable."
  • "It can be made user-friendly, in the sense of the console is pretty outdated."

What is our primary use case?

CyberArk is for Privileged Access Management, so we secure our privileged accounts using CyberArk.

What is most valuable?

The main, most valuable aspect is its capability to secure our environment. That's the main reason why we are using it.

What needs improvement?

It can be made user-friendly, in the sense of the console is pretty outdated. They could add more enhancements, et cetera.

They could add more built-in connection components to support various other application platforms. The built-in connection components available are mostly not fit for our purpose. We need to do additional customization to make it work.

I’ve used the solution for almost two years.

Stability is fine so far, other than a couple of phishes every once in a while.

25 people are using the solution.

The solution is scalable. It’s on the cloud, which makes it simple.

We have enterprise support from the vendors.

The response time could be a bit better. Some people don’t have the access to be able to jump in right away. Sometimes we need someone from the development team who has access to help.

Neutral

I’ve never had experience with any other vendors.

The initial setup was not that straightforward. However, we had vendor support, and we were able to fix all the issues.

It took us almost a month to deploy the solution.

I’d rate the solution a three out of five in terms of ease of setup.

In terms of maintenance, some of the components are not in the cloud, so we handle these aspects ourselves. We have a dedicated team for it.

We initiated the setup with the help of the vendor.

I don’t deal with the licensing. That said, my understanding is that it is on the higher side.

When we need enhancements, we do have to pay more.

What other advice do I have?

We are CyberArk partners. I’m a consultant.

We’re always using the most up-to-date solution version, as we are utilizing the cloud.

We use it mostly to secure our privileged accounts. We don't actively use any other products of CyberArk.

I’d recommend the solution. It’s ideal for smaller organizations.

I would rate it seven out of ten.

Download our free CyberArk Privileged Access Manager Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2023