IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Director of IT at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Responsive and fast support, easy to deploy, well-tuned to ignore false positives
  • "We have a small IT Team, and this allows us to get sleep at night, knowing that someone else is taking care of any incidents that occur."
  • "It would be nice if the dashboard had some more information upfront, and looked a little better."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for endpoint security and threat remediation.

How has it helped my organization?

The fact that this is a cloud-native solution that provides us with flexibility and always-on protection is absolutely important, especially with a good majority of our staff working remotely, now.

We've had security incidents that occurred and within a matter of just a couple of minutes, they were completely remediated and fixed and we didn't even have to think about it. We just got the report after the fact.

Falcon's ability to prevent breaches is excellent. It's affected us in that we haven't had any downtime as a result of breaches or any malware or anything like that. Ultimately, it's given us a lot of our time back. On the IT side, this is at least five to ten hours per week. On the user side, it is probably more.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is threat remediation. We have a small IT Team, and this allows us to get sleep at night, knowing that someone else is taking care of any incidents that occur.

CrowdStrike takes care of all of the updates, so we don't even think about it or see it. This is great because we definitely spent a lot of time doing that kind of thing with our previous solution. Now that we haven't had to do it in four months, it's not even something we consider anymore.

We use both the endpoint and cloud workload protection and the detection and prevention it provides are excellent. It's tuned well to the fact that there can be a lot of false positives, so there's not a lot of potential issues that we're getting alerted about that aren't real. This means that when we do get alerts, we know that they're real and they're already being remediated for us.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if the dashboard had some more information upfront, and looked a little better. Having a cooler dashboard is nice to have, although it is not as important as the functionality, which is very good.

CrowdStrike Falcon
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about CrowdStrike Falcon. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using CrowdStrike Falcon for approximately four months.

The stability is great and we haven't had a single issue.

It was originally deployed to 200 users and we haven't really grown since we started, so I can't speak to scalability. This represents 100% adoption in our organization, and there are no current plans to grow. As we hire more people, our usage will increase.

There are two people who work with it on a daily basis. There is the director of IT and a network administrator.

The technical support is excellent. I've only used it a couple of times and they were extremely responsive and very fast.

Prior to implementing CrowdStrike, we used BlackBerry Cylance. We switched for the ability to have full remediation so that we didn't have to do it ourselves. Also, this product is pretty much best-in-class for endpoint protection.

The only real difference that we have found with CrowdStrike, compared to Cylance, is that we no longer have to spend time remediating our issues. The detection and prevention capabilities are similar, although, with CrowdStrike, we have fewer false positives.

The initial setup is extremely easy. It took me about five minutes to deploy it to my entire organization of about 200 users. The single-center process is extremely important because it's something that we were worried about, but it turned out to be a non-issue because it only took five minutes and we haven't had to think about it again.

We initially had a plan for deployment but once we found out how easy it really turned out to be, it was basically a one-step plan.

Our return on investment comes from the fact that there is less downtime for people that do get malware and other such problems. That is something that can be quantified.

We made use of the free trial and the process for getting set up was extremely easy. We spoke to our sales rep and in our discussions and demos, they offered the free trial. We accepted, they sent me a link and I downloaded the agent. I was then able to install it and login in less than five minutes.

Having the free trial was very important in making our decision to implement CrowdStrike because without being able to test it, it's not something that we would have chosen.

The pricing is definitely high but you get what you pay for, and it's not so high that it prices itself out of the market. That said, it's definitely one of the highest. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees and the fact that it's keeping us safe, and it's proven that it works, is worth it.

We evaluated solutions from several vendors including Sophos, Trend Micro, McAfee, Kaspersky, and perhaps another one. A lot of these other endpoint solutions don't offer a full remediation option, and that was a big deal for us.

Also, reputation was important. We had used a couple of others in the past and there were issues where they would make an update that would negatively affect all of our computers. For example, our users could no longer access certain important websites. We haven't had that problem with CrowdStrike.

In terms of ease of use, CrowdStrike is extremely easy. Comparatively, we've had less time in the administration console than we have previously.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into implementing CrowdStrike is to go ahead and do it. There is nothing to worry about and they deliver as promised.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Syed Ubaid Ali Jafri - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of Cyber Defense & Offensive Security at Habib Bank Limited
Good lateral movement and overwatch detections but requires improvements in the Mac environment
  • "The CS falcon agent is a lightweight agent compared with other agents of EDR products."
  • "CS Falcon sensing capabilities for non-domain machines should be enhanced since the agent doesn't detect the neighbor's IP Address and/or any anomaly which was identified in the network for the non-domain machine."

What is our primary use case?

The following is a list of use cases that were tested and evaluated against Crowd Strike along with different competitors.

1 - Execution of Fileless Ransomware - The test was conducted using PowerShell script execution, the script was executed using privileges rights and it was successful. Although all the preventive controls were enabled in the CS falcon dashboard, CS falcon had raised a red flag regarding fileless execution, however, the moment it let us know our system got encrypted.

2 - Uploading large volume of Data over the cloud - Using customized script in the USB, a test was conducted to copy (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, .png, .jpg, .pdf, .txt, .rtf) files from the system. It performs a copy operation from the whole disk and creates a password-protected .zip file in APPDATA of the complete files, once the protected file is created it then checks the internet connectivity. As soon as the script finds connectivity with 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. it starts sending the protected .ZIP file over its CnC cloud.

3 - Disabling of CS Falcon Agent - I have conducted a test to disable the Falcon agent from the Windows-based OS. The agent was successfully disabled by booting up another OS and renaming of agent files from the system.

4 - Perform Privilege Task in Crowd strike - CS roles have some additional privileges. While performing host containment, it has the ability to perform the following operations without informing the user:

* Host Containment
* Isolating the host from the network;
* Copying data from the host machine into the CS cloud;

Considering the above situation it may cause a breach of user privacy due to which user can file a complaint against InfoSec team.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution fits well in the organization and took out valuable output as expected from Endpoint Detection and Response solution.

This solution supersedes the requirement of an Endpoint Protection solution. The cost of EPP can be saved while using EDR.

One good thing is the active association of the Crowd Strike team in terms of support and coordination.

Features that require further evaluation include:

Let's take an example of ten machines that require CS falcon agent installation. Apart from agent compatibility and ease of installation, one of the most important areas is the network bandwidth which would require whenever an agent updates the server through the cloud.

An estimated network bandwidth utilization takes 0.4 MB/hour for a single machine to update its probes over the cloud. If we estimate the total working hours in our case it is eight hours, the formula would be 0.4 X 8 = 3.2 MB per host per day is the data uploading requirement on the cloud. It is highly recommended to assess a number of agents and the network bandwidth requirements.

What is most valuable?

The CS falcon agent is a lightweight agent compared with other agents of EDR products. Moreover, the following is the list of valuable features which I found very useful:
1 - Lateral Movement
2 - Overwatch detections
3 - Custom IOC blocking
4 - Suspicious Process and Registry operations
5 - Azure/AWS agent installation and easy integration with SIEM
6 - Triage of the complete incident is well created in the CS dashboard. It helps to show complete details about the incident.
7 - It is an agent-based license not machine-based, so once the machine gets outdated/old, installation of the same agent license in another machine is possible.

What needs improvement?

Area of Improvement

The products still require improvement in the Apple environment (Mac). Currently, this solution (as of July 2022) is not compatible with MAC OS (X), Catalina, or Big Sur.

Similarly, the product is also not compatible with Unix-based systems including AIX, Darwin, and FreeBSD.

Additional Features required in the Next release:

The product requires an add-on feature which should be a turnkey feature if it requires to be turned on to XDR no changes should be required to be made on the user end as the agent is already installed.

The solution has been used for around two years, including the demo version with full features and final version with specific features.

This solution has been used without any compatibility issue and/or technical failure due to anti-virus installation.

When we procured Crowd Strike as an EDR it was on the Gartner top ranking as well.

The agent was being utilized in Windows Servers (2016, 2019), Linux Servers (Fedora, Red hat, Cent OS), Windows Endpoints (10, 11), and Mac.

The solution is stable and we have used it for more than 2500+ hosts.

It is a cloud-based solution - so scalability is not an issue.

When it comes to customer service and support is that the principal engages whenever required.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

This was the first product that we evaluated out of 6 (six) products.

The setup was straightforward and it's easy to use.

A vendor team was engaged in the installation of the complete solution.

Licensing is relatively low than other EDR solutions.

We evaluated Carbon Black and FireEye.

What other advice do I have?

Crowd Strike is a good solution. However, it requires you to build more features in protecting Endpoint agents for example:

DOM Improvement
DLL's Injections
Detection of CNC in Network Neighbors
Detection of similar attack surfaces in the network.

Other
CrowdStrike Falcon
August 2022
621,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tom Smolinsky - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive Technology Advisor at Vitso
Good UI, performance, integration, and alerting
  • "The feature that I find to be the most valuable, is being able to look at the system analysis and being able to baseline what is installed on the system."
  • "I think there's an opportunity to enhance the AI or at least the traps to say, if something changes from this baseline, let us know and flag it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for advanced threat protection, over and above any antivirus for approximately 1200 end-users, or endpoints. It is able to identify any anomalies and alert on that using the AI engine. That way, there's a small security team to make them more effective, to be able to get an alert, go in and look at what's going on.

Since I have been here, I have been keying into when people fall for phishing attacks and they either get blocked going to a website or their credentials get compromised, and somebody logs in to their Office 365 account. We were able to forensically identify that in two of the cases. Most recently, since I've been here looking at the more active response, to be able to identify and act a little bit more quickly.

How has it helped my organization?

I was able to look through some rapid analysis when bad things happen. More so than having to get, especially in the distributed world of post-COVID, being able to have a central place to be able to see what's going on, on the landscape of endpoints at any given time.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find to be the most valuable, is being able to look at the system analysis and being able to baseline what is installed on the system. What does it usually do, and is it doing anything differently?

The UI is great, and the performance was great. The way it gathers and presents the information was very good and it integrates well with things with a central log aggregator, such as Splunk. You can do more big data analytics that includes security. It seems to be fully featured in all of those areas.

What needs improvement?

I think there's an opportunity to enhance the AI or at least the traps to say, if something changes from this baseline, let us know and flag it. It's got a pretty good engine to do that on its own but it's one of the things that are important to us, so I'm just trying to increase the time-to-issue identification.

By comparison to buying into the Microsoft suite, it was definitely less costly. CrowdStrike can be costly.

I have had this solution for approximately three years.

It seems stable. The performance is good.

It's a scalable solution. They are running 1400 endpoints on it right now, and it seems to be fine.

There is only one person working at it right now and they are the security engineer/operator.

If you look at how they spend their day, a tool like that does a lot with a little and can make a one man band pretty effective or much more effective. It makes the response to an issue right when it happens way more possible with such small security.

We haven't used technical support.

The initial setup was already completed before I started with this company.

When comparing to Microsoft, CrowdStrike Falcon is more expensive.

I'm going by the client and some of the things that are driving their decisions.

It's typical when Microsoft throws things in and it seems really cheap, even though you're spending a million and a half dollars with them. You may as well increase the value of that million and a half.

My guess is that CrowdStrike is going to maintain parity or stay ahead of Microsoft.

What other advice do I have?

As I came into this organization, they were moving away from CrowdStrike.

They upgraded their license to E5 with the security bundle from Microsoft. The goal is to start to move things.

They are paying twice for things right now, but that will be expiring. CrowdStrike comes up for renewal next year, and they want to be off of it by then.

I haven't gone into critiquing it. Since they've already made the decision and made the investment to go to defender ATP. I'm more concerned with, are we losing anything? Do we have parity when we go from one platform to another? And if any gaps emerge, what needs to be filled?

When we did go into it and walked through it with one of the security engineers, it was snappy, and it had a nice UI.

I had never been inside the product. I think I got a demo years ago in my CSO role, but I had never delved into a practical use case. The practical use case looked pretty cool.

For anyone who is interested in implementing this solution, I would say don't look for the cost compared to smaller applications. Look at what you're trying to do, and what you're trying to accomplish. The typical first cardinal sin of IT is buying a product and then figuring out how to use it as opposed to having a set of requirements, placing a value on that set of requirements, and then pursuing a solution that covers them the best.

I think they probably said we've got a gap here because something bad happened to my CrowdStrike. It's an industry leader. Three years after the issue that they were treating was over, and the pain was gone, suddenly, it seems really expensive. That is an IT 101 mistake that I've found in organizations, where it's a means to an end and then it turns this to just an eyesore on the balance sheet.

Senior Cyber Security Analyst with 1,001-5,000 employees
Detailed incident reporting, stable, and the technical support team is well trained
  • "The most valuable feature is the indicator of compromise, which show you what file was either quarantined or removed."
  • "Any kind of integration that you want to do, such as using the API to connect to a SIEM, is complex and it will be expensive to do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is digital security investigations using the dashboard.

How has it helped my organization?

Every week, a manager would look at a detailed report to see what kind of CrowdStrike incidents we had.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the indicator of compromise, which shows you what file was either quarantined or removed. It shows you the malicious files in question, as well as the exact time, the machine, the endpoint, and the host IP address. Everything you need to know is right there in a single dashboard.

What needs improvement?

Any kind of integration that you want to do, such as using the API to connect to a SIEM, is complex and it will be expensive to do. It is quite a pricey product.

I used CrowdStrike Falcon in my last two cybersecurity jobs, over a period of at least two years.

The product is stable as a rock. I have never seen any crashes. When it came to patching updates, we were always notified. It is not Windows-based, but rather Linux or Unix-based. It was more stable than any Windows product.

We had a small shop, so we never had any reason to scale.

The technical support is pretty good. They're trained in their product and they have a system in place where if the first line of support does not resolve the issue, they are emailing us directly back and forth, and they'll hand over the problem from one shift to the next.

It is not very difficult to get in touch with the support team, although it does require clearance from whoever handles the money aspect. You have to be really careful because they will charge you fees for any kind of solution that they provide.

I have used them twice, once for each company that I was working for. The first time, we used the CrowdStrike service to do the investigation so that we could focus our time on other products. They have teams that will act like a managed service provider to take care of incidents. We handled major incidents in-house but we let them handle the minor ones.

With the second company, we had to do the investigations as the incidents came in, so it was two totally separate vantage points. Both worked extremely well in both manners and forms.

CrowdStrike was already in place before I arrived, at both places where I have used it.

We were also using Carbon Black, as well as other tools, but they were not being used to the same degree. I think that we were using Carbon Black for white-listing applications.

I also spent a lot of time using Nessus, which is a vulnerability scanner. I would look at scans to see what kind of vulnerabilities were present, and patch management updates with other teams.

I was not there for the initial setup, but what I did learn was that the implementation team came in and worked with our engineering team. They set it up and then our team verified that all of the endpoints where there and that we had the visibility we needed for all of the subnets in all of the locations.

When I spoke with my teammate, I was told that it was pretty much straightforward and out of the box. The fact that it is a cloud-based deployment made it easier, too.

Our licensing fees were between $50,000 and $60,000 per year, which was pretty expensive for a small business. It is not a one-time payment. Any upgrades that you want to do, you're going to have to pay multiple times.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing CrowdStrike Falcon is to get in touch with the vendor and then follow best practices. They have a lot of documentation and everything is there. For the most part, I would suggest looking at the technical support documentation first and then contacting a representative at the vendor to continue the process.

Most companies have it integrated with the SIEM and with their ticketing system, although I did not use it in that capacity because it costs more money.

Most of the time, you're not going to have to lay a finger. Once it finds an infected file, you might have to reboot the computer if it can't immediately remove it, or other such minor stuff. In general, however, it's never given me any issues and it's never given me a headache. Overall, it's very straightforward and just one tool out of the whole.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Security Systems Analyst at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Allows us to sleep better at night
  • "I value the overall behavior analysis of CrowdStrike. The engine of this product is what drew us to this solution."
  • "I would also like to see the endpoint firewall component produce some level of logging and feedback."

What is our primary use case?

CrowdStrike is a malware protection solution that is deployed on a private cloud across all areas of our organization. We have deployed the solution to 10,000 users. Roles-based it's the security team.

We recently upgraded to a new feature that is set to roll out. CrowdStrike is a requirement, it's our standard. If you have a new OS deployed or a new server deployed, this is a required component. It has been automated as we grow and as we add more systems.

How has it helped my organization?

CrowdStrike allows us to sleep better at night.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution lacks basic functionality, such as being able to perform on-demand scanning. This presents a challenge when it comes to the payment card industry, PCI which has that as built-in requirements for the PCI DSS standard.

I have been using CrowdStrike Falcon for three years.

CrowdStrike is very stable, we've had very few technical issues. The false positive rate is average. It has been very easy to manage and to determine where issues are.

This solution is very scalable. It is easy to roll out more agents and is fairly automated. We have it deployed in multiple environments such as hybrid versus cloud versus private.

We have had very positive interactions with not only our manage service provider, but the vendor directly. They've offered good support when we've had some questions and concerns. Their documentation is fairly extensive.

We follow trends to make sure we have the best product for our organizations. The one we were using fell behind a bit. We wanted something that was completely cloud-based so that the infrastructure wasn't on-prem and we wouldn't be required to manage the upgrades of servers and applications.

The initial setup was moderate. There is a lot to think about and a lot to plan out, however once that is done the actual deployment is straightforward. We used a tiered deployment, deploying the product in a learning mode or logging mode only. We also did a tiered deployment by division and then enabled features by division to make sure that if there was an impact, we could at least contain it to one area and revert back as quickly as possible.

We deployed with an integrator. They were very knowledgeable and knew what they were doing. They involved the vendor when required. We use half of an FTE to maintain the solution. We also have a managed service provided that also integrated the log files from this product into our SIM. We are pointing all the logs to a log reporting utility that allows us to react to alerts.

Because we are information security, we come with a price tag, unfortunately. When we look at it as a whole, we are able to sleep at night, we have a good solution and it is protecting us from the zero-days and the latest malware. I don't know what you put the cost of breach prevention at.  We feel we are using a product that is at the top of the industry. We are doing as much as we can to protect our organization, so there is the return on investment that way.

We pay yearly for the solution. It makes it easier for budgeting purposes. We did incur additional costs when we implemented their firewall solution, calling it the endpoint firewall.

We're constantly looking for other options the industry's top solutions and where the industry is going next. In cybersecurity, we ensure we are protected today but also make sure that we are thinking towards the future and analyzing other solutions to see if they are better, or potentially better in the future.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking at CrowdStrike, plan appropriately. Make sure you have planned it out and do your testing. We found that it was legacy-friendly. We have a lot of legacy applications and we were concerned about that. We ran into some minor issues but we did find that it was friendly, however, there were some newer applications that the product did not interact with as well as we expected. They were easy fixes, but you should do your due diligence so you run into fewer surprises.

I would rate CrowdStrike a 9 out of 10.

Private Cloud
Director - IT Security Operations at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Allows us to stay in business by keeping our systems up
  • "CrowdStrike Falcon has done an excellent job at detecting breaches. It has allowed us to stay in business and keep our systems up."
  • "CrowdStrike Suites and the way that it bundles things can be a bit challenging. It should be easier to integrate with the other stuff that they sell or be included with what they sell. We have one piece, then they are talking about another piece on vulnerability management all of the sudden, and we don't own that piece. We can see it in the console, but nothing shows up. It simply appears within the tool as an option, but we can't use it without purchasing it."

What is our primary use case?

It blocks all the stuff bad actors are trying to do to our users.

All our end user systems and servers are on-prem and cloud workstations desktops everywhere.

We are using the latest version minus one release (N-1).

How has it helped my organization?

It provided us visibility into our endpoints that we did not have before. The telemetry and data that it collects allows us to respond to possible incidents much faster, containing the host as well as jump on the host for remediation.

CrowdStrike Falcon has done an excellent job at detecting breaches. It has allowed us to stay in business and kept our systems up.

What is most valuable?

CrowdStrike endpoint detection and response (EDR) is excellent. It blocks the bad stuff without user interaction, allowing us to stay in business. For example, one of our service providers has been down for five days now with ransomware. Also, four of our partners have been down over the past two months with cyberattacks, and we can't do business with our partners.

What needs improvement?

CrowdStrike Suites and the way that it bundles things can be a bit challenging. It should be easier to integrate with the other stuff that they sell or be included with what they sell. We have one piece, then they are talking about another piece on vulnerability management all of the sudden, and we don't own that piece. We can see it in the console, but nothing shows up. It simply appears within the tool as an option, but we can't use it without purchasing it.

I have been using it for a little over three years.

The stability is very stable. There have been no issues.

We have automated all our CrowdStrike Falcon updates.

It is very scalable. There have been no issues at all.

CrowdStrike's technical support is excellent:

• Quick to respond
  • Quick to help
  • Very responsive
  • They have always been able to solve the issue.

I was a McAfee customer for 20 years before switching. It was like night and day, where McAfee is old technology, and CrowdStrike Falcon is new technology. On a scale of one to 10, McAfee is at one and CrowdStrike Falcon is at 10. There is a really big difference.

We came from an on-premises solution. With more people working remotely, that became an issue. The fact that this is a cloud-native solution provides us with flexibility and always-on protection.

It was very easy to deploy the solution’s single sensor. We used our deployment tools to push it out. Because it is a single agent, it is very lightweight, easy to install, and updates itself. We came from a competitor who had multiple agents, upgrades, and DAT files, where you could have very few of these with 100 percent working. However, since there were six different modules, they all had to be kept updated, which was a nightmare.

This solution was a simple, easy push. Once it is on there, it updates automatically and we don't have any issues.

For deployment, we use a tool called Quest KACE. We also use SCCM.

We did about 10,000 hosts in around two months. We have had growth through acquisition. Now, we have 12,000 hosts.

We did it ourselves.

For the deployment, there was one FTE (a Level 2 PC technician) for eight weeks. For maintenance, it is pretty much set and forget it. There is very minimal maintenance and zero dedicated staff.

We bought a very small number of licenses, then ran it for a year. We bought a 100 licenses for a year, so we didn't actually do a proof of concept. We just bought them. Then, the next year, we bought 10,000 licenses.

We received a quote three years ago, and it was almost seven figures. CrowdStrike got money from investors to displace competitors, like Symantec and McAfee. Then, our quote was very low, which is why we were able to do this. The first year, the quote was almost a million dollars. The second year, it was a little over $100,000.

We also evaluated Cylance and Carbon Black. We went with CrowdStrike Falcon because of the single agent and price. The other solutions required multiple agents, and I did not like that at all.

Compared to the other solutions that we evaluated, CrowdStrike Falcon has a similar ease of use.

What other advice do I have?

We are a very happy CrowdStrike Falcon customer. I highly recommended it. It works.

I would rate this solution as 10 out of 10.

Park Armstrong - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Technical and Solution Architect at Vertigo Inc.
Beneficial crowdsourcing intelligence, robust, and useful multi-tenant architecture
  • "The most valuable feature of CrowdStrike Falcon is crowdsourcing intelligence."
  • "The skillsets needed to run CrowdStrike Falcon are extensive if you want to get the most value out of the tool."

What is our primary use case?

I use CrowdStrike Falcon for endpoint security and compliance auditing.

How has it helped my organization?

We use CrowdStrike Falcon for discovery when anything goes wrong because it gives us a full history of what's happening. It acts as a preventative model for inappropriate activity. Additionally, we use it for compliance reasons.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of CrowdStrike Falcon is crowdsourcing intelligence.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the mobile space can use improvement. However, some of those constrained are by Apple and other platforms as to what they can do on the platform. Some of the limitations are industry-based.

I have been using CrowdStrike Falcon for approximately one year.

The stability of CrowdStrike Falcon is great, I have never had the slightest problems.

CrowdStrike Falcon is highly scalable.

CrowdStrike Falcon is implemented company-wide on every device.

I have approximately one hundred protected endpoints, but the number of users that log on to the tools is approximately four.

CrowdStrike Falcon needs to better its SE sales engineer team. The people didn't fully understand all the different parts of their solution. It's the endpoint protection and it is the essence of what we're trying to receive, they should know their solution very well.

I rate the support from CrowdStrike Falcon a three out of five.

I previously used an anti-virus solution, but it didn't do all the things I needed regarding endpoint protection. That's why I added the CrowdStrike Falcon piece to the puzzle. I still have the anti-virus running. I don't need it technically, but I still have it running.

The initial setup of CrowdStrike Falcon is in the medium range of difficulty. You will need a coach and be guided through it.

The time it took to do the full implementation from the beginning to end, from when the contract was turned on, and by the time I turned it on and had everything up was fairly fast because we piloted CrowdStrike Falcon at first. When I bought the solution, it was almost fully implemented. The full process took approximately two months.

I rate the ease of deployment for CrowdStrike Falcon a two out of five.

We had some coaching help from the vendor to do the implementation of the solution. We have three people that can manage this solution.

This is not a tool you buy because it gives a return on investment. It's a tool you buy because the cost of not having it is far greater than the cost of having it if you have a problem.

There are approximately a hundred different modules you have to purchase, depending on what you want to do. I have most of the modules. How it works is you buy the portfolio, you have to decide all the components you want in it, and then they price out a bundle for you. I have almost all of the package features in my bundle. You only need to pay for the modules you want.

The cost of CrowdStrike Falcon annually is approximately $10,000.

I rate the price of CrowdStrike Falcon a three out of five.

I studied the entire industry before choosing CrowdStrike Falcon. I evaluated many other solutions, such as Manage Engine, Malwarebytes, Checkpoint, McAfee, and Microsoft.

We choose CrowdStrike Falcon because it was fit for the purpose of our business. I needed a cloud solution and I needed it to be a SAS offering that was easy to use. It boiled down to features and fit for purpose, not features and functionality.

CrowdStrike Falcon platform was more robust. It was a true multi-tenant architecture, not a hosted instance. The crowdsourcing nature of CrowdStrike Falcon is a large benefit, all of the threat data is real-time and applied to you real-time from all around the world.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to take a serious look at CrowdStrike Falcon. It's a good solution.

I rate CrowdStrike Falcon an eight out of ten.

Dan Brunnquell - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Information Technology at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Provides instant visibility and protection across an organization
  • "It's given me a level of confidence that my network is secure."
  • "CrowdStrike Falcon by itself does not supply in-depth reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for threat protection and endpoint security.

Recently, we added on CrowdStrike OverWatch and Insightsoftware for better reporting. OverWatch monitors East-West issues that CrowdStrike Protect doesn't see. New next-generation endpoint security doesn't scan your PC. It doesn't scan files nightly. People have to get past that, it's so old school.

I have 50 end-users, one hundred endpoints, and workers of all types, both in-house and remote workers.

How has it helped my organization?

With the addition of Overwatch and the Insight tool, the reporting has gotten better and I've gained some quality insight that helps me remedy compliance issues and maintain security posture; however, in a year and a half, we haven't had an actual positive detection across a hundred endpoints. The reason for that is mostly due to our employee training and the way that our complete security stack is configured. I hope that the way that I've got it configured right now is the sole reason that we literally aren't letting things in.

If the solution sees some issues, it reports them. Even though they're false positives, in a different scenario, what it's reporting could be a threat. Usually, they're just executables that were downloaded and installed by me. That's to be fully expected and maybe they came from a vendor, but it wasn't signed.

It's given me a level of confidence that my network is secure — the fact that it's not finding anything; however, I am not experiencing the issues that competitors are saying I should be experiencing. I literally have to test it manually to know it's working.

What is most valuable?

Falcon Protect looks at processes and issues in real-time.

What needs improvement?

CrowdStrike Falcon by itself does not supply in-depth reporting.

Falcon Protect does what it does. It's endpoint security — nothing more, nothing less.

What it does, It does well. However, if you need more information on what it found and how it got there (including board reporting and compliance reporting), that's not there. Some of the other solutions that are available give you that, right out of the box.

I have been using CrowdStrike Falcon for the past year and a half.

We haven't experienced any issues regarding the stability of CrowdStrike Falcon.

CrowdStrike Falcon is scalable. I've only got one hundred endpoints and I know companies that are hundreds of times bigger who use it.

Trying to get somebody on the phone might not always be the easiest thing, but they usually respond in a fairly timely manner. I haven't had any issues where I've needed them to immediately fix things.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give their customer support a rating of nine.

We had a Vipre solution, but it was an On-Prem solution. The server was aging out and the software was up for renewal. It wasn't working well with our remote workers; they're not literally connected to my network so updating them was always a pain-point without a cloud-based solution.

We were going to transition to "cloud" and Vipre just wasn't really up to the level of CrowdStrike at the time.

The deployment literally took about 15 minutes across the wide area network. Regarding configuration, we took a look at it with their tech support and Implementation team. There's literally maybe a dozen settings and we basically maxed them out.

The price of CrowdStrike Falcon is a little high, but it can be negotiated.

What other advice do I have?

If you're thinking about implementing this solution, I would suggest getting Overwatch and Insight along with it. Also, don't be afraid to try and negotiate for a better price.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of nine.

The reporting is part of the Overwatch and Insight combination. It's doing what we want it to do and it's not causing a lot of overhead. Like I said earlier, maybe we're an anomaly. We don't have a lot of issues on our network.

Private Cloud
Download our free CrowdStrike Falcon Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022