Head of Cyber Security at ISDA
User
Reduces workloads, offers exceptional customer service, and provides suggestions for improved security
  • "Arctic Wolf is laser-focused on providing top-notch customer service."
  • "It would be great if the whole process of determining vendor risk could be simplified by Arctic Wolf."

What is our primary use case?

For a company with one sole dedicated cybersecurity professional, Arctic Wolf provides invaluable managed detection and response plus cyber awareness services with a strong focus on customer support.

I've worked at other companies and have experience dealing with other vendors.  Unlike those other vendors, Arctic Wolf engineers go above and beyond what is expected of them, from generating custom reports to providing guidance on a variety of security issues.

I know of three other firms who've migrated their managed detection and response from other vendors to Arctic Wolf and are really happy with Arctic Wolf.

How has it helped my organization?

Arctic Wolf unburdened me from day-to-day alert monitoring.

In addition to that, the regularly scheduled quarterly update meetings are invaluable. They provide a good review of events at my firm, provide suggestions for improving security and alert me of the latest trends and attack vectors and how best to mitigate them. This allowed me to focus on building and improving our cyber security program rather than spend my time troubleshooting endless alerts and ticket hunting. Arctic Wolf is also a key pillar in our risk reduction strategy.

What is most valuable?

Arctic Wolf is laser-focused on providing top-notch customer service. For a company with one dedicated cybersecurity professional, Arctic Wolf provides invaluable managed detection and response plus cyber awareness services.

They have a strong focus on customer support. I've worked at other companies and have experience dealing with other vendors. Unlike those other vendors, Arctic Wolf engineers go above and beyond what is expected of them, from generating custom reports to providing guidance on various security issues.

What needs improvement?

Third-party vendor management is an ever-increasing risk vector. We hate sending these out, and we hate when other vendors send them to us. Companies spend a lot of time and effort reaching out to their vendors with time-consuming questionnaires and endless follow-ups. For a small company like ours, it's a challenge dedicating resources to ensure this gets done. It would be great if that burden could be offloaded and/or the whole process of determining vendor risk could be simplified by Arctic Wolf.

Arctic Wolf Managed Detection and Response
September 2023
Learn what your peers think about Arctic Wolf Managed Detection and Response. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2023.
734,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used the solution for four years.

We previously dealt with Secureworks.

I would advise others to negotiate and don't underestimate the quality of support, especially for smaller teams.

We also evaluated eSentire.

Hybrid Cloud
Principal at TOPS Staffing, LLC.
User
Great for evaluating and mitigating any vulnerabilities with an excellent ROI
  • "They have a portal where you can evaluate and mitigate any vulnerabilities that you and your network might have."
  • "If you are not in the security field, this can be difficult to figure out from time to time."

What is our primary use case?

I was subject to a malware attack and after it took us three full months to fully recover from that, I decided to make sure I was never in that position again.  Arctic Wolf was referred to me by my MSP who I have a long-standing relationship with. It was an excellent suggestion.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my security position to where my business is now safe, and I don't have to constantly worry about another attack! That's invaluable to me.

What is most valuable?

They have a portal where you can evaluate and mitigate any vulnerabilities that you and your network might have. This is a fantastic tool to help you secure your environment.

What needs improvement?

The only thing I would say is that if they gave some lessons on some risks and how to help mitigate those risks, that could be helpful. If you are not in the security field, this can be difficult to figure out from time to time.

I have been using Arctic Wolf for almost two years now and couldn't be happier with the service.

The stability is very, very good.

The scalability is very, very good.

I did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup is more complex than I would have liked. I wish I would have been able to do more myself instead of having outside IT guys do it.

I had assistance from a vendor team. They were from my MSP so they were excellent.

The solution provides excellent ROI.

I'd advise others to weigh the ROI carefully with how much work they will have to do versus what the SOC does. In my case, I run multiple other businesses, so I knew I needed a solution that was more turnkey than most.

I evaluated a dozen other potential solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Go with Arctic Wolf - you won't regret it. I just signed on for three more years after only signing for one year, then again for a second single year.  My experience has been so good that I signed up for three full years this time.

Arctic Wolf Managed Detection and Response
September 2023
734,678 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior IT Analyst at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Provides 24/7 monitoring of all the traffic through our firewall and gives us detailed information about threats
  • "Arctic Wolf is our eyes and ears 24/7 because we can't possibly watch all of our alerts. We may see all of these alerts, but our attention is distracted because we're working on other things."
  • "We get a lot of false alarms, but that's because they don't know our network in detail. I think that could be alleviated if we told them more about our network so they could create rules to skip some of those things."

What is our primary use case?

Arctic Wolf monitors all of the traffic through our firewall. It monitors events on each computer in our network using agents. We have detection and as many inputs as we can get, including inputs from our Sophos antivirus and from our duo two-factor authentication. They ingest and process all of those events. If anything looks like it might be a problem, they generate a ticket and we get an email.

We take a look at the ticket and tell them whether it's expected or unexpected, and whether we think it's serious. They also scan our network for critical updates that are missing on the exchange server and issue detailed instructions on how to get the patch and how to execute a workaround if necessary. Arctic Wolf gives very detailed information when they think there's a challenging threat.

What is most valuable?

Arctic Wolf is our eyes and ears 24/7 because we can't possibly watch all of our alerts. We may see all of these alerts, but our attention is distracted because we're working on other things. We're only working certain hours of the day, and we don't have the staff to look at alerts 24/7.

What needs improvement?

We get a lot of false alarms, but that's because they don't know our network in detail. I think that could be alleviated if we told them more about our network so they could create rules to skip some of those things. For instance, we've had alerts that people are coming onto the VPN from outside of Canada. If we told them that someone is going outside of Canada ahead of time, then they wouldn't alert us about it.

Our internal alerting systems generate 10 times as many false alerts, so they're actually doing pretty well.

It's very stable.

There are a couple of appliances that need to be used. It's somewhat challenging to set up because you need a special configuration in the network switches, which the firewalls are connected to.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

It's a good product. It covers us 24/7. It doesn't have nearly as many false alarms as our own internal alerting systems because they're weeding a lot of things out. There's a lot of proactive help if something important needs to be updated or if  there are workarounds that need to be applied.

Download our free Arctic Wolf Managed Detection and Response Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2023