Muhammad Imran Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
AVP - Senior Enterprise Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Top of the recommended reviews, highly experienced reviewer, with excellent technical support on known issues
  • "The most valuable feature is monetization."
  • "I would like to see SOAP services and socket-based connectivity developed."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for security but also the mediation that goes with it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is monetization.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see SOAP services and socket-based connectivity developed. Apigee is known for exposing the REST API but not the SOAP API. Our clients are requesting these two features and we do have a workaround we use, but an upgrade in these two areas would be great. I would like to see more integration for example Enterprise Service Bus and this will help Apigee gain more popularity.

I have been working with Apigee for the past six years.

Apigee
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Apigee is a stable product. We have had existing customers for the past four or five years now.

Technical support is alright but I have mixed criticism. Sometimes you get answers very quickly and on time, but in some scenarios when there is a product issue it takes time. If there is anything that is not implemented and they need some time to implement it, then it takes them months. If the error is something that is a known issue they reply back quickly.

Apigee is more straightforward and flexible, with implementation and designing. Other products currently on the market are more complex overall to sustain. The time it took us to set up was around two to three months.

There is one main reason we went with Apigee and that is the importance of the Gartner and Forester ratings. Apigee is on top of all the Gartner and Forrester ratings. The other reason is because of the smooth operational perspective.

What other advice do I have?

If customers are trying to do long-term planning, and want to apply monetization on their APIs, then Apigee will be the best in this situation. I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Managing Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Flexible with many options, stable, and there are no issues with scalability
  • "Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs."
  • "What my clients don't like is that the on-premises solution is not being treated and maintained as well as the cloud solution."

What is our primary use case?

There are plenty of use cases. My clients were using for internal API management as well as external API management, including subscription models and pre-payment models.  Essentially, it was for using internal data and selling external data.

What is most valuable?

Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs. This is something that the majority of clients like.

What needs improvement?

I know that they are working on the integration of no-code and low-code solutions to make it more accessible to users that have no technical background. This is something that I find very interesting and they should continue working on that.

I was working at a client site where Apigee was being used. I have two years of experience in this environment.

Stability-wise, I haven't observed any major issues with the product.

It is pretty scalable and we haven't reached any limits so far. We have thousands of users. There are a few hundred active internal users, a few thousand developers, and far more external users.

I haven't been involved in any interaction with support.

I would like to see the implementation of further options for billing because as it is now, the opportunities you have in terms of a package are limited. You don't have the choice of too many billing models, which is an issue that needs to be worked on.

My clients have a monthly pricing model.

If you compare this to Microsoft Azure API Management, Apigee is a bit better because Microsoft has no real built-in solution.

Hybrid Cloud
Apigee
December 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Product Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
More scalable than WSA-2, but also more pricey and does not come with a partnership model
  • "Apigee has better scalability than WSA."
  • "Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution."

What needs improvement?

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiation.

Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution.

While I cannot comment definitively on the partnership issue, as the company has yet to get back to me, I can say that this issue and the one of the pricing are why I choose to rate the solution as a six out of ten.

The stability is fine.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

While the technical support seems fine, I cannot comment on this with certainty, as we did not go ahead with implementation of the solution. Had we gone ahead with a partnership with Apigee, then I would be in a better position to do so.

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiations.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers of Apigee.

I rate Apigee as a six out of ten because of its pricing.

Technical Architect at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Has improved our performance with great features such as out-of-the-box policies
  • "This is a front-layer gateway that helps to improve our overall performance."
  • "Integration should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are a telecom-based organization, so our use cases are generally based on telecom functionalities like the MF APIs. I'm a technical architect and we partner with Google.

How has it helped my organization?

Apigee is a front-layer gateway and it helps to improve our overall performance.
We can repair requests and respond to vacant needs and that's a big help to us.

What is most valuable?

Many of the features available are valuable to us including out-of-the-box policies, the vacant creation, throttling and more. We are using authentication and authorization which are also good features.

What needs improvement?

Integration should be improved as we'd be able to use solutions such as NewSoft or Del Boomi. It would be helpful if Apigee would lower their licensing costs. I'd like to see a cloud-based solution and some new features similar to those available with TD cloud or Salesforce.

I've been using this solution for over six years.

The solution is stable.

To date, our use cases have been limited so we haven't had significant scalability requirements. We have no plans for expanding the use of this product.

On a number of occasions we've needed some immediate help or a quick turnaround, but the technical support response was quite slow.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

Initially, we figured out how to deploy the solution on the job and it required some external assistance, but because we've been working with Apigee for so long, deployment is relatively easy for us these days and is carried out in-house.

What other advice do I have?

Apigee has so many servers nowadays that are based on requirements. Much of the information is available on Apigee documentation which is good.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, effective API management, and reliable
  • "Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas."

What is our primary use case?

Apigee is a platform for API management.

What is most valuable?

Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas.

It has many features, such as flexibility, coding writing, and JavaScripting.

I have been using Apigee for approximately four years.

Apigee is stable. In the entire API management world, I feel this is one of the best tools for pure API management. If there are any orchestrations or business processes to be involved, then Mulesoft or Boomi can be used, but comparatively, all the security and governance policies that are available on the dashboards and the reports make Apigee the best tool for pure API management.

The installation is good. I won't say it is complex, but it has many configurations and types of policies that are available. However, it can be easily done.

Apigee is slightly expensive, but again, it can depend on the type of usage. All things considered, it is slightly expensive.

AWS is winning in the cost category, they have many packages and services but when using all these services together I am not sure what the cost would be.

I have evaluated Mulesoft and Boomi. I have found these two solutions are being used secondarily to Apigee. Additionally, AWS and Azure's Gateways are becoming popular in the market. From the cost perspective, in the two years, AWS gateway is widely being used. These four solutions are widely being used in the market but Apigee is much far ahead than all other tools.

AWS and Apigee have similar features. I don't see any significant change in the difference at the moment. The choice is more about convenience and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apigee an eight out of ten.

SatyajitTarai - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical architect at STCS
    User-friendly with helpful integrations and capable of expansion

What is our primary use case?

We use it for access. for example, if a third-party needs access, they can get it via Apigee.

What is most valuable?

It's good for development.

We like that the solution offers easy integration.

It has a good UI and is user-friendly.

The solution scales well.

It's stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution is pretty expensive.

I've been using the solution for around one year. I haven't used it for that long just yet.

The solution is stable and reliable. the performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is quite scalable. We can expand it if we need to.

We do not have plans to increase usage at this time.

Support from Google has been good. We've had several people help us, and they have been responsive.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The solution is mildly complex in terms of the setup process. However, it isn't too bad.

We have five people that handle maintenance tasks. We have one manager and two developers that can support the product.

We received training from Google, which ensures we are able to deploy it properly.

The solution is expensive. You can do some negotiation which might help mitigate some costs.

We did not evaluate other products before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I'd recommend the solution to others. It is costly but good.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Sr. Solution Architeect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Very functional with a lot of flexibility
    • "Great flexibility with its features."
    • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers a lot of flexibility in its features. Other tools like IBM Data Power have limited capability when it comes to features like data control, VPN management and monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I think the portal could offer a better user experience. It's functional and does what it's supposed to but it's not user friendly. I'd also like to see better routing features. Currently routing is limited and the setup is complicated. From a VPN management perspective, I think we would like to have more user training available, particularly for advanced users, without having to pay. There is generally a learning curve for advanced usage and configuration, and troubleshooting is a steeper curve. Whenever we have an issue, we're dependent on support. We'd like our personnel to be better trained by Apigee so we can handle issues in-house.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable and, from an enterprise perspective, it can handle volume which is important for us.

We have good support from Google. They provide onsite support and everything is available to us. We are happy with the support.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. Apigee offers a month free usage so you can play around and explore the product and then make a decision. We had a good opportunity to test things out before purchasing the solution.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Google
    Pradeep Pavuluri - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A cloud-based API management platform that's easy to use
    • "Apigee is very easy to use, and you can code in any language."
    • "Access restrictions can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have an API, which I developed using multiple languages and different applications. We have a lot of applications, and they have their individual APIs. We create a proxy for those applications in Apigee, and we expose those proxies to access those APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Apigee didn't exactly improve our organization, but it fulfilled a requirement. There are a few tools in the marketplace, but we thought Apigee was the best for our use case.

What is most valuable?

Apigee is very easy to use, and you can code in any language, like JavaScript, Java, or any other language. That's really helpful. It's cloud-based, so there's no need for any installation.

What needs improvement?

Access restrictions can be improved. For example, you can't restrict access to some people or some groups. You have to give them total access.

I've been using Apigee for about three months.

Apigee is a stable solution.

I think it depends on your license, but it's highly scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward. We don't need a lot of training for the developers to start working, just a few days at most. It's very easy to start with, and the development effort is also a lot less.

What other advice do I have?

For potential users of Apigee, I'd tell them there's a free version if they want to check it out and have a trial.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee an eight.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022