We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Chief Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Lightweight and stable this solution offers a strong gateway solution
  • "It nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources."
  • "Apigee is a very lightweight solution."
  • "Apigee could do more to make users aware of what is available in the add-ons."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we do the Apigee implementations for the customer. We are more like a service company. We sell the product and consult with the clients about their needs. There are options for the API gateways and we look at the client's requirements, their budgeting, and then we deliver and install the new solution.

What is most valuable?

Apigee makes it nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources.

What needs improvement?

It would help with Apigee if we could make a list of our assets. If the client knows more about all the extensions they can use to work with through the Google cloud and we have an extensions database it would be easier to let them know what is available and we could do more to recommend Apigee for all different kinds of customer needs.

I have been working with Apigee at this company for the past three years.

The stability of the product is not an issue.

We have not had any issues with the product scalability.

We are actually partners with Google, so we get the best support from them.

I did have some previous experience with other products in this category before Apigee, like MuleSoft. The main differences between Apigee and MuleSoft are that Apigee is more lightweight and the licensing is also lesser than the MuleSoft. Based on the use case of big clients, the ones who want more services can get them and because the Apigee solution is more lightweight it offers more possibilities for them to use API solutions.

With Apigee you can bring in some adapters to work with things like business rule engines. So those might create more standardization and help make the investment in Apigee more valuable.

I tried to do the initial installation and setup a couple of times. It is straight forward and easy. It is just done by calling a couple of CMA (Connection Manager Agent) commands and you can get it up and running.

What other advice do I have?

What I would recommend for clients who are considering this type of solution depends on the customer's use cases. Since we are Google partners we generally go with Apigee as the solution. But if the client insists that there has to be a lot of orchestration and other integrations need to be done, then we will go with MuleSoft.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Apigee as somewhere around an eight.

Carlos Maximo Ramos
Software Architect at Caja Los Andes
Best product with central monitoring, support for industry standards, and excellent documentation
  • "The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases. Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation."
  • "The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard."

What is our primary use case?

We implement a set of microservices. We expose different APIs and control and monitor the use of the APIs by using Apigee. We have approximately 15 developers.

What is most valuable?

The central monitoring feature is the most valuable. It also provides security for the APIs and high availability for our use cases.

Apigee is the best product in the industry in comparison to other API management solutions. It helps in fast development, which is a top point. It also supports a lot of industry standards and has excellent documentation.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal's adoption of the OpenAPI standard needs to be improved. In the latest version of the developer portal, they have adopted the OpenAPI standard. This feature, however, can be improved by supporting more characteristics of the OpenAPI standard.

I have been using Apigee for approximately one year.

It is stable. I did a series of tests, and Apigee was excellent in the results.

Scalability is very good in the SaaS version.

In general, they respond very fast and provide good service. Sometimes, they take longer to respond. It can take three to four days.

We didn't use any API management solution.

The initial setup of Apigee is very easy. However, we had a problem with the deployment of Microgateway in on-premises infrastructure. The deployment took about two to three months.

We worked with a partner. We have three teams for deployment. Each team has five developers. These teams also do maintenance.

We have three people for the administration task. They do monitoring and reporting.

We have a contract for three years. I don't know the cost.

We evaluated API management solutions from Oracle, IBM. Most of the solutions are similar in terms of functionality. We went for Apigee because it had more points or better ratings as per Gartner and Forrester.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution. It is a good solution for masking data, using methods like RPC, and administering APIs. We plan to continue using this solution. We have legacy systems in our company, and we need to move to new technologies. We plan to create developer APIs for the rest of the functionality and use Apigee for API management in our company.

I would rate Apigee a nine out of ten. It is an excellent product.

Private Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
Flexible with many options, stable, and there are no issues with scalability
  • "Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs."
  • "What my clients don't like is that the on-premises solution is not being treated and maintained as well as the cloud solution."

What is our primary use case?

There are plenty of use cases. My clients were using for internal API management as well as external API management, including subscription models and pre-payment models.  Essentially, it was for using internal data and selling external data.

What is most valuable?

Apigee gives you plenty of opportunities to set up your workspace depending on how you want to manage your APIs. This is something that the majority of clients like.

What needs improvement?

I know that they are working on the integration of no-code and low-code solutions to make it more accessible to users that have no technical background. This is something that I find very interesting and they should continue working on that.

I was working at a client site where Apigee was being used. I have two years of experience in this environment.

Stability-wise, I haven't observed any major issues with the product.

It is pretty scalable and we haven't reached any limits so far. We have thousands of users. There are a few hundred active internal users, a few thousand developers, and far more external users.

I haven't been involved in any interaction with support.

I would like to see the implementation of further options for billing because as it is now, the opportunities you have in terms of a package are limited. You don't have the choice of too many billing models, which is an issue that needs to be worked on.

My clients have a monthly pricing model.

If you compare this to Microsoft Azure API Management, Apigee is a bit better because Microsoft has no real built-in solution.

Balakrishnan Vinchu
Senior Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Great functionality and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

My current job is to compare all the different API gateways and to create a report for management. We use this tool primarily to secure our API. We have a set of API from our four businesses and we're trying to apply these APIs to multiple applications. For example, third parties can leverage our APIs built to their own solutions and applications and we build applications on top of these APIs. I make the system available like a mobile app. Primarily the API management for the entire ecosystem of AP that we are building and the DGPS are providing, have varied capabilities across the organization. Apigee also acts as a proxy, everything is done within that.  We also leverage the developer portal of Apigee as a main feature, which can be given to outside…

What is our primary use case?

We also leverage the developer portal of Apigee as a main feature, which can be given to outside customers by third parties to build their own applications around our API. One of the standout features of Apigee is the different PolyPhaser functions that we use. For example, we use throttling, encryption/decryption and we also use external AP integration with PV.2 I'm a senior architect and big data engineer and we are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

I like the functionality of this solution.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution could be improved and it would be better if it were on private cloud.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I'm not directly involved in the technical support aspect, but I've heard that the technical team is excellent. They provide support from the beginning until you completely run all your setups.

This solution is much easier to set up compared to any of the other API gateway solutions. There is extensive documentation available.

What other advice do I have?

I would go with Apigee if you have the money. It will give you enough APIs for management. If you're looking simply for one functionality then I wouldn't recommend Apigee.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Product Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
More scalable than WSA-2, but also more pricey and does not come with a partnership model
  • "Apigee has better scalability than WSA."
  • "Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution."

What needs improvement?

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiation.

Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution.

While I cannot comment definitively on the partnership issue, as the company has yet to get back to me, I can say that this issue and the one of the pricing are why I choose to rate the solution as a six out of ten.

The stability is fine.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

While the technical support seems fine, I cannot comment on this with certainty, as we did not go ahead with implementation of the solution. Had we gone ahead with a partnership with Apigee, then I would be in a better position to do so.

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiations.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers of Apigee.

I rate Apigee as a six out of ten because of its pricing.

Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, effective API management, and reliable
  • "Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas."

What is our primary use case?

Apigee is a platform for API management.

What is most valuable?

Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas.

It has many features, such as flexibility, coding writing, and JavaScripting.

I have been using Apigee for approximately four years.

Apigee is stable. In the entire API management world, I feel this is one of the best tools for pure API management. If there are any orchestrations or business processes to be involved, then Mulesoft or Boomi can be used, but comparatively, all the security and governance policies that are available on the dashboards and the reports make Apigee the best tool for pure API management.

The installation is good. I won't say it is complex, but it has many configurations and types of policies that are available. However, it can be easily done.

Apigee is slightly expensive, but again, it can depend on the type of usage. All things considered, it is slightly expensive.

AWS is winning in the cost category, they have many packages and services but when using all these services together I am not sure what the cost would be.

I have evaluated Mulesoft and Boomi. I have found these two solutions are being used secondarily to Apigee. Additionally, AWS and Azure's Gateways are becoming popular in the market. From the cost perspective, in the two years, AWS gateway is widely being used. These four solutions are widely being used in the market but Apigee is much far ahead than all other tools.

AWS and Apigee have similar features. I don't see any significant change in the difference at the moment. The choice is more about convenience and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apigee an eight out of ten.

CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Incredibly scalable with good technical support that is responsive
    • "The most valuable features are scalability and technical support."
    • "Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as our API gateway.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are scalability and technical support.

What needs improvement?

The definition of the APIs should improve because you can't easily validate the inputs and outputs. Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful.

I have been using Apigee for four years.

We are working with a SaaS model and we install the on-premises model version also.

Apigee is a very stable product.

The scalability is incredible. We make an average of 22 million API calls.

We have less than ten people who are developers.

We have plans to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is very good and we are satisfied with it. They respond very quickly and I like it.

I have used several solutions previously, such as IBM API Connect, WSO2 API Manager, and many other API solutions.

It is not suited for small companies. It's expensive.

For a bank, it would not be expensive, but to implement this solution for a smaller company such as an insurance company, it would be too expensive.

The pricing is complicated and not flexible.

The older versions are more suited for small to medium-sized companies. You can no longer pay €20,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good API tool.

I think that this solution is very good in some use cases but not very good for some small companies. It can be complicated for licensing and pricing. This is a product that I can recommend otherwise.

Sr. Solution Architeect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Very functional with a lot of flexibility
    • "Great flexibility with its features."
    • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers a lot of flexibility in its features. Other tools like IBM Data Power have limited capability when it comes to features like data control, VPN management and monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I think the portal could offer a better user experience. It's functional and does what it's supposed to but it's not user friendly. I'd also like to see better routing features. Currently routing is limited and the setup is complicated. From a VPN management perspective, I think we would like to have more user training available, particularly for advanced users, without having to pay. There is generally a learning curve for advanced usage and configuration, and troubleshooting is a steeper curve. Whenever we have an issue, we're dependent on support. We'd like our personnel to be better trained by Apigee so we can handle issues in-house.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable and, from an enterprise perspective, it can handle volume which is important for us.

We have good support from Google. They provide onsite support and everything is available to us. We are happy with the support.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. Apigee offers a month free usage so you can play around and explore the product and then make a decision. We had a good opportunity to test things out before purchasing the solution.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Google
    Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.