IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good connector feature and we can include custom scripts; deep learning models not supported
  • "The connectors are a very good feature."
  • "Deep learning models are not currently supported."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is mainly for advanced analytics, including some bison-scripts for the machine learning on data, as well as data cleaning and data processing activities.

What is most valuable?

The connectors are a very good feature and Alteryx can connect to a lot of data sources and there are a lot of options. We can use the ready-made models in the solution for advanced analytics, and we can also include our custom scripts. It gives a lot of flexibility and there are a lot of characters that are available. It's a very user friendly product.

What needs improvement?

The deep learning models are not currently supported by Alteryx. The world is moving towards more advanced machine learning with deep learning models and integration, and Alteryx should do the same. The advanced features are not there, given that most companies are constantly increasing the size of data. Alteryx is not very robust when it comes to working on large sets of data. The new platforms that are coming onto the market, even the open source technologies, are moving really fast. Alteryx needs to find an edge.

I've been using this solution for at least a year.

This product is quite stable.

There's room for improvement with the scalability aspect, because the size of data always increases and it is not an optimal solution for processing large sets of data. For a smaller data size it works really well. Our developers work with Alteryx and we have close to 10 users. We don't have plans to extend usage.

I've only had one contact with technical support and they were very responsive.

The initial setup was easy. Alteryx is a drag and drop tool so the deployment was quick. It doesn't require a lot of scripting.

Licensing is on an annual basis but I don't work in procurement so I have no idea of the cost.

What other advice do I have?

Any company considering a data processing platform which is light, offers good flexibility, and deals with moderate or low sized data, will find this is a really good spend. If, on the other hand, you're working on big data and a higher volume of data, this may not be the right choice for you.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

QA Validation at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to summarize data, easy to scale, good reporting features, and excellent technical support
  • "All of the data science features in terms of unioning and joining data together are valuable."
  • "The only weakness I would say is on the visualization side of having that dynamic incapability."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for KPIs and trending.

What is most valuable?

All of the data science features in terms of unioning and joining data together are valuable. The formula tools are good, and it provides an easy way to summarize data.

It has some really good, solid, basic reporting functions.

It's not as robust as a lot of the dynamic interactive tools, but it certainly gets into the more static reporting very effectively.

What needs improvement?

I know that it is dependent upon having the on-premise and cloud server environments, but even there, the product functionality is somewhat limited.

This would reduce the need to integrate it with other products.

I have been using Alteryx for a couple of years.

I am not using the latest version. I am one version out, and I am in the process of having it updated to the latest.

I generally stay up to date with each release.

I am using the desktop version.

I don't think that there any more issues with stability than would be expected for a product of this type. Those occasional things happen, but it's nothing that is significant.

Alteryx is easy to scale.

We have three people who are using this solution in our organization.

Technical support is very good. They get high marks.

I would rate them a ten out of ten.

We had used JMP, which is a product by SAS, and it really didn't have any capability of doing the automation that Aletryx has, other than some really bespoke programming language. It is a type of script language.

It is very awkward to learn and use it.

The initial setup is definitely straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely advise others to give it a fair look. It's a great product.

It is not marketed as a solution to all different types of aspects of analytics. I'm not going to downgrade it just because that's not within the scope of what they're marketing the product for.

Based on what it has been marketed for, I would rate Alteryx a ten out of ten.

Alteryx
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Alteryx. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Commercial Intelligence Coordinator at a international affairs institute with 5,001-10,000 employees
Has a good scheduler, and offers very good Rtools for machine learning
  • "The product's Macros probably are one of the most useful aspects."
  • "Sometimes workflows tend to queue up, and they tend to get canceled for some reason that we don't know sometimes."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automation, data cleansing, QA, some data science and machine learning software for the company.

What is most valuable?

The product's Macros probably are one of the most useful aspects. It's obviously useful overall if you just combine all the tools, however, in terms of usability, the Macros really stand out.

Using the Alteryx scheduler, and the use of Rtools for machine learning is very helpful.

These are all a bit more advanced, in terms of tools, however, they make for a very good user experience.

What needs improvement?

We've had a lot of issues within the Alteryx Server. It really could be improved.

There are memory management issues in terms of the Mongo database that they manage. There could be a better user interface for the gallery, which is where we automate the workflows.

I've been using the solution for five years at this point.

The stability is okay. It's good on the designer, however, it could be better on the server.

In terms of scalability, the server is quite scalable, however, the designer is not.

The initial setup was easy, overall. It's easy to use and easy to learn and you don't have to be a data scientist or an engineer to use it. It makes the setup very straightforward, as the overall design is very approachable.

The deployment likely took us about two to three months to set up. It was five years ago now, and therefore it's difficult to recall.

We mostly handled the initial setup ourselves. We didn't hire consultants or integrators.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

We have an Alteryx server, and we also use the desktop version or the designer version on our workspaces, which are hosted on the cloud.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly happy with it, however, there are areas in which is could improve.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, easy to set up, and has a simple GUI
  • "The GUI is simple and it integrates with Python."
  • "We are hoping that the NLP features will also support Chinese characters."

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using Alteryx for data preparation and processing data.

We are also monitoring for some of our customers, in product analysis, regressions or customer segmentations, and column correlations analysis.

What is most valuable?

The GUI is simple and it integrates with Python.

What needs improvement?

For the area in Alteryx, such as the server the prices are high and it would be better to reduce the fees.

Some of the new tools in the intelligence Suite are the Optical Character Recognition (OCR) and the Natural Language Processing (NLP) language for English characters. We are hoping that the NLP features will also support Chinese characters.

We started carrying Alteryx in February of this year, 2020.

Alteryx is a stable product.

This is a very scalable solution. For every organization or company, there are a few data scientists working with Alteryx. For some of the enterprise, they have a team of five working with this solution, whereas others have two.

Community support is good, but I have not yet contacted technical support. I am not able to assess them.

As a Data Scientist Platform, Alteryx is the first platform that we have worked with.

I have worked with IBM and some other vendors from Hong Kong.

The initial setup is easy, straightforward, and simple.

Within hours, I can have the designer up and running.

The price for Alteryx Designer is reasonable but the price of the Alteryx Server for universal collaborations is too expensive.

I am currently doing a comparison between Data IQ and Alteryx.

What other advice do I have?

Most of our clients in Hong Kong are on-premises because they don't want to share the data on the Cloud.

We use several other products because we want a unified platform for our customers.

If you have experience with Excel, macros, or VBA then you have a great foundation to use Alteryx.

I would rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Solutions Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, reliable, and good technical support
  • "The solution has been stable."
  • "The solution could improve in the visualization."

What is our primary use case?

I have multiple clients that are using this solution and the use cases can be very specific to the domain they are coming from.

I am an Alteryx designer and I have been trying to fine-tune the operations. Most recently I have been getting more involved with predictive analytics. I am transitioning from the ETL to an advanced analytics platform and then doing the seamless integration with the BI tools. These are the areas I have been exploring and currently, I am only working on use cases that are very specific to this area.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve in the visualization. There is a reporting palette available, but I do not think organizations would rely just on that one pallet. We need a BI tool for larger implementation reporting. The visualization cannot just be the basic visualization but immediate reporting.

When comparing this solutions' BI tool to major competitors, such as Tableau and Power BI, the competitors both massively use visualization and dashboarding whereas this solution does not. However, this solution is much further ahead in other areas, for example, deployment. When it comes to just the visualization it not fair to compare these solutions.

I have been using the solution within the last 12 months.

The solution has been stable.

What I know of the solution it can scale very well.

I have not used support very much in the past. However, during the one or two cases when we had to use the support, we received a solution from them promptly.

The installation is fairly simple and straightforward. We had no issues with the implementation.

Previously I have used consultants for the implementation but I can now do it myself.

There is a license required for this solution.

I have previously evaluated Tableau and Power BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Consultant at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and straightforward implementation

What is our primary use case?

We have very similar use cases with Alyterx, Knime, and Trifecta. We are taking the data from disparate systems and transforming and making the data available for further visualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Alteryx is user-friendliness.

I have been using Alteryx for approximately one year.

If the speed of the database increases when we are performing the jobs on the Alteryx server it is not giving me a lot of visibility on how I can improve the performance of the jobs. Alteryx product is fine, but the server is somewhat weak. The only desirable feature we can use is scheduling.

The scalability worries me a lot at the moment because the cost of the solution is high and it is not growing considerably. Unfortunately, we started during early COVID times and because of the economic downturn, all the cost cuttings, and everything, it is not growing as expected.

I would rate the technical support of Alteryx a six out of ten.

Recently the support has been facing attrition problems and we are experiencing a lot of wait time. I do not like the premium support service. We did not subscribe to the premium support because it would have increased the cost on our side.

I have used Knime and Trifecta previously.

The initial setup of Alteryx is straightforward. However, when we are setting it up for an enterprise it gives too much leeway for an end-user. For example, the license location, activation, and license management are not good. When we want to have some control over who is using the license, who is not using the license, there are some issues, we already informed Alteryx about it. We need better control over the whole process.

The cost of the solution could be reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Alteryx an eight out of ten.

Josef Trchalik - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Data Analytics Manager at Vodafone
Versatile and user-friendly with excellent graphics
  • "The most valuable feature is user-friendliness, as Alteryx can be used by those without any coding experience or experienced data scientists as it has the functionality to embed R and Python scripts."
  • "Alteryx's development environment could be improved as it requires installation locally and can't be developed in the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Alteryx for connecting to various data sources, data transformation and modeling, and preparing reports or extracts or data that we can visualize in other tools.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is user-friendliness, as Alteryx can be used by those without any coding experience or experienced data scientists as it has the functionality to embed R and Python scripts. Alteryx's versatility and ability to graphically present workflows of data are also excellent features.

What needs improvement?

Alteryx's development environment could be improved as it requires installation locally and can't be developed in the cloud. You have to push the model into the cloud from your local machine, which is a pain compared to other tools like DataIQ, which you can develop fully from scratch in the cloud.

I've been using Alteryx for two-and-a-half years.

We had some issues with deployability and scalability because we had to develop on our own machines and then push the workflow into the cloud, which caused issues with updates that caused functionality misalignments. Ideally, you'd be able to develop and run production applications in the same environment or platform, i.e. the cloud.

I previously used DataIQ, which is a similar product but is fully in the cloud. I was pretty impressed by it and would probably rate it higher than Alteryx.

The initial setup is quite straightforward, I would rate it four out of five.

We used a central support team from Vodafone Group.

Alteryx isn't extortionately expensive, but it's not cheap either. I'd rate its pricing as three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying a few different tools to see which one exactly fits your use case before deciding on Alteryx. I'd rate Alteryx as eight out of ten.

Alejandro Moscoso - PeerSpot reviewer
General Surgeon at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Multiple database merging, easy install, and stable
  • "I think the most valuable feature for Alteryx in a health facility is that it permits cleaning, organizing, and merging of databases such as Excel and Access."
  • "The interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am the head of investigation on-site, I use the solution every day for merging and other management of records. I also export data to individuals that need the information we store, such as facilitators.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows us to manage our databases data.

What is most valuable?

I think the most valuable feature for Alteryx in a health facility is that it permits cleaning, organizing, and merging of databases such as Excel and Access. This is very valuable for us since we have many databases.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved. Currently, when you are looking at the information on the screen it is broken down into three parts of the screen. For example, when doing algorithms and you want to see the results on the screen this is when it gets really difficult to view. However, this is fine visually to work with on a big screen but when you are working with a laptop screen it is not very comfortable. Everything is very small.

You have to know to use it. You have to have some training and it's hard. This could improve.

I have been using the solution for approximately 10 months.

I have not had any issue with the stability of the solution.

Since I only have one license to use the solution it is difficult to know about the potential scalability.

The setup is really easy.

The install took approximately 35 minutes.

The license is really expensive, we cannot afford to have two or three. It takes away all the budget of my area.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution 100%. I really think it is a better platform than competitors.

I rate Alteryx a nine out of ten.