Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
MilindSampat - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at Wipro Limited
Offers private access and lots of features with good reliability
  • "The solution is scalable and stable."
  • "Sometimes, support isn't available."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as a secure web gateway.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a good solution.

We had very few issues during implementation.

Technical support is quite helpful and responsive once you get a hold of them.

It has private access and has a lot of features inbuilt including DLP, CASB, et cetera.

The solution is scalable and stable.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be a bit pricey.

Sometimes, support isn't available.

Zscaler does not have any local data centers. For example, if we have our customers in Czech Republic, in the Czech Republic they don't have their data center, as the local content, in the Czech language. They should do something in the Czech Republic and ensure that the language is accessible. They should have one data center as these people want to see the local content. Everyone wants to see their first language in the available content.

Also, in Brazil, they just have two data centers in São Paulo and they should consider expanding to other data centers.

When you check the logs, you cannot see what policy is allowed. That is one thing that is lacking. If I put someone's account in Zscaler, then it should show which policy it will be applicable for. For example, in Forcepoint we have that feature. This is something that Zscaler needs to add. They just need to put the account of some users and check whether they will be able to access that or not.

They don't have MFA, or multi-factor authentication, for admins.

I've used the solution for about one year and three or four months.

Zscaler Internet Access
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Zscaler Internet Access. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's on the cloud, which makes scaling easy.

The support is great. They helped us during implementation.

When we ask for support, however, they reschedule the calls. Support guys are not always available. If I schedule the call for three to four days before, they will reschedule it. Sometimes, we'll join the call and they won't and then they'll just reschedule. That is something that has been disappointing.

The implementation process was pretty straightforward. We did not run into issues.

We did have some issues in that there were professional services that were purchased already, however, we came to know very late that we had any professional services support available from the vendor. We ended up handling things ourselves. The professional services were okay, however, they just were able to help us at a high level with recommendations.

The product is a bit expensive. That said, that is not in our scope to worry about pricing.

What other advice do I have?

We were integrated with Azure Identity. We are not sure if the client has their own data center or what they are using in that backend, or which cloud provider.

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Dale Walker-Hyde - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud and Security Transformation Specialist at Comtact
Reseller
The scalability is perfect, the setup is straightforward, and the ROI is excellent
  • "The solution replaces multiple vendor technologies with one which makes it worth the cost."
  • "The solution can be improved by advancing some of the newer technologies such as the DLP feature, and adding email security."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used to manage and protect end users' access to internet resources, websites, and web applications while checking for malicious or bad content in order to grant or block access to certain sites.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a lot of valuable features. The most valuable features of the solution are URL filtering, CASB, data leak prevention, DLP, and also ZDX a digital experience monitoring option.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be improved by advancing some of the newer technologies such as the DLP feature, and adding email security.

I have been using the solution for two years.

The solution is not perfect and things can go wrong but it is stable. In the last two years that I've been working with it, we did experience a small outage for a group of customers in a particular region for a few hours. Those customers all received service credits for the outage and it was fixed quickly. I give the stability a nine out of ten.

The scalability is perfect. I would give it a ten out of ten.

Customer service and support are good but there is always room for improvement. We do a lot of our own technical support so we don't have a need to call them often. When customer service and support are needed they are usually there. I give them an eight out of ten.

Positive

The setup is straightforward. If a customer orders all of the features there is a lot of configuration work to do, or they can choose to leave the features in the standard setup. We recommend they take a few days with one of our consultants who are familiar with the solution so they can point them in the right direction. The configuration is based on individual requirements.

The implementation was done in-house, using one of our engineers.

The ROI of the solution is excellent. I give it a ten out of ten.

The solution replaces multiple vendor technologies with one which makes it worth the cost. It is a few pounds per user per month. Occasionally a customer will kick back because they believe it is too expensive for them.

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution a nine out of ten.

Although the solution is easy to configure, there is good value in spending two or three days with an expert that can save a lot of time and effort setting things up in order for you to get real value out of it quickly.

Private Cloud
Zscaler Internet Access
September 2022
633,572 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr. Consultant, Cyber Security at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Internet Access solution that offers URL filtering and continuously releases new features
  • "The URL filtering has been the most valuable feature."
  • "They block Zscaler IPs when the traffic origin is from Zscaler IPs. They've been blocked by certain government organizations so the end users are not able to visit those websites unless we ask them to unblock those IP. This is a bit problematic."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution mainly to protect or provide internet security for our customers including URL filtering for SSL interception, tech protection and to provide phishing protection for our web links.

What is most valuable?

The URL filtering has been the most valuable feature.

They're constantly improving because they have a very short development cycle where they add more features every one to three months. If we like a particular feature, we request it through a product enhancement and if it gets accepted, it gets implemented within that year.

What needs improvement?

We've been working with Zscaler for almost a year and a half.

This is a stable solution. It's a cloud service so we've never faced any outages. The availability has always been 100% for the past one and a half years. I don't think we've had any incidents with any of our data centers. Even if they do have a problem with a data center, they usually switch to the nearest region.

This is a very scalable solution.

We have had different experiences with the technical support. I would rate them a seven out of ten. The response time is good but sometimes it is difficult for them to pinpoint the root cause of problems.

We previously used Symantec. The main problem with Symantec was that they did not have a local data center here in UAE. That was one of the biggest requirements for our customers.

The initial setup is very straightforward. They provide the cloud settings and then it's your responsibility to direct your traffic towards the Zscaler Cloud and they manage everything else for you. The infrastructure is managed by the vendor and themselves. We don't have to worry about any maintenance.

We have experienced a return on our investment. We have used competitor solutions but the experience with this particular solution was much better.

We have purchased it for a maximum of 2000 users at one location and 5000 at another location but I am not sure of the amount we paid.

What other advice do I have?

It's easy to deploy and easy to use. There's a lot less administrative overhead so you won't require a very big team to manage it. It's the biggest benefit.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Solution Architect at Tata Consultancy
There is a virtual application in your private data centers that detects the applications, and you can control access.
  • "Zscaler covers all the features needed to replace a VPN or proxy solution. They are good. They've been on the market for 15 years now, so they are mature enough."
  • "Zscaler needs to add client-to-client communication. It's always client-to-server communication. The cloud and branch connectors could be improved because we're still dependent on traditional firewalls. They should eliminate this. They should also provide WAN devices should to compete with the SD-WAN solutions also."

What is our primary use case?

One of the use cases is VPN replacement. Zscaler Private Access replaces the VPN solution.

What is most valuable?

Zscaler covers all the features needed to replace a VPN or proxy solution. They are good. They've been on the market for 15 years now, so they are mature enough.

What needs improvement?

Zscaler needs to add client-to-client communication. It's always client-to-server communication. The cloud and branch connectors could be improved because we're still dependent on traditional firewalls. They should eliminate this. They should also provide WAN devices should to compete with the SD-WAN solutions also.

We have been building our competency and trying to sell Zscaler to customers for almost two years. We are doing this in our labs also, and we have one customer now.

Zscaler is scalable.

Zscaler is a cloud-based solution, so it's scalable.

We worked with Zscaler support initially for some professional services. That service was excellent, but later we had to wait for them to make some changes, so that could be tricky. I rate Zscaler support seven out of 10.

Neutral

Deploying Zscaler is quick and straightforward. You can easily onboard end-users to Zscaler Private Access once you deploy the application. There is a virtual application in your private data centers that detects the applications, and you can control access.

We have two or three engineer to deploy the solution. Two are usually needed  because there are different roles from a backup point of view, and we have a different set of people during the design stage. We need some people who understand identity solutions. We have a combination of two or three engineers who normally do deployment for around 1,500 users. One person is usually more than sufficient for maintenance because we don't get that many inquiries unless some changes are needed.

We work on a business case, not on ROI, so if the customer sees a positive savings on their business case after the five years or six years, they normally go for Zscaler.

The license is per user, and there's a minimum license per user per year. It's costly if you compare it to the traditional solutions like Symantec or Bluecoat. It's about 20 to 30 percent costlier than the traditional solution, but it gives you the flexibility to work from anywhere, and everything becomes effortless.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zscaler Internet Access eight out of 10.

Cyber Security Consultant at flydubai
High network performance, simple user interception, and reliable and better security controls
  • "The most valuable features of Zscaler Internet Access are it's on the cloud, high network performance, and the interception of users is very easy."
  • "Zscaler Internet Access can improve by adding traffic filtering based on the DNS."

What is our primary use case?

I used Zscaler Internet Access for our proxy web traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

One Stop solution for roaming users, single control center for User access, security and performance improvement for Ms sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Zscaler Internet Access are it's on the cloud, high network performance, and the interception of users is very easy.

What needs improvement?

Zscaler Internet Access can improve by having more option for filtering policy which is currently only ip based (location policy). The developer need to add more option like identifying DNS and Domains names as well along with ip.

I have been using Zscaler Internet Access for one year.

Zscaler Internet Access is stable. Since we have been using it we have not had any problems.

Zscaler Internet Access is scalable but it depends on the licensing model you choose. It can scale very easily.

We have approximately 1,800 users using the solution in my company. Everyone in the company is using the solution, from receptionist to corporate employees.

In our experience, Please bare some thoughts for experienced guys in the industry.

I do understand 1-2 years experience guys can do Professional service but when you are customer facing, please: Zscaler need to have strong experience guys during customer interaction.

I rate the support from Zscaler Internet Access a three out of five.

Not disclosing

The initial setup of Zscaler Internet Access is very simple. The cloud configuration is very easy. The implementation took approximately three months due to Change process, however you can finish in 3 days if you are in small size industry.

Wee had excellent support form vendor but it was done mutually along with inhouse design guide.

Absolutely on the money, look at the security dashboard, its easily noticeable.

The price of Zscaler Internet Access should improve, it is expensive.

but to catch small/medium size business they need to come up with some better licensing plan.

yes, Umbrella, Forcepoint

What other advice do I have?

I rate Zscaler Internet Access a nine out of ten. Love the product.

Consultant at Tata Consultancy
Multifeatured solution that stops DDoS attacks, filters URLs, and restricts users
  • "The most valuable features I found in Zscaler Internet Access are the restriction of users for a particular URL, the security feature related to stopping DDoS, and the VPN."
  • "What could be improved in Zscaler Internet Access is its price. It could be cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

Zscaler Internet Access is used for internet access, security related to internet access, and in some cases, connecting to online applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features I found in Zscaler Internet Access are the restriction of users for a particular URL, the security feature related to stopping DDoS, and the VPN.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in Zscaler Internet Access is its price. It could be cheaper.

I'm working for TCS, which is a service management company, so we manage services for our clients. From my perspective, I've been working with Zscaler Internet Access for six months, but the client could be using it longer than that period. In my case, I've been working with this particular client on Zscaler Internet Access for six months. My company TCS is a partner of Zscaler.

Zscaler Internet Access is quite stable.

I have not had any issues with the scalability of Zscaler Internet Access. I have not encountered scalability issues, but my company has not scaled up that much to encounter problems with scalability, so I can't really comment on how scalable the solution is.

Zscaler Internet Access has good technical support. We have not had an issue where multiple escalations were needed from the support team. The issues were normally quite straightforward and were able to be sorted out with minimum intervention. Whatever support we have requested from Zscaler, we had a very good experience.

The initial setup for Zscaler Internet Access is straightforward. On a scale of one to five, with one being the worst and five being the best, I'm rating my experience with its setup a four.

The pricing for Zscaler Internet Access could be made cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for people looking into implementing Zscaler Internet Access is that it's quite stable. Its features are quite mature, so I would recommend for people to go for the implementation of the solution.

Zscaler Internet Access is deployed on the cloud, particularly on Zcaler's cloud: the ZIA. It's a SaaS solution.

Other
Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good VPN technology and scales with our requirements
  • "The VPN is valuable, as the whole technology is very different from a traditional VPN."
  • "There are a few features that are not compatible with the Azure cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We use Zscaler for VPN connections and for internet security.

What is most valuable?

The internet security that it provides is valuable.

What needs improvement?

There are a few features that are not compatible with the Azure cloud.

It's not fully compatible with our environment because of the way that it is divided into business units. In order to get it working properly, there are some things that we had to put in for enhancements. Otherwise, everything works well.

We have been using Zscaler Internet Access for about a year.

It is a stable solution, although once or twice, we had issues with latency and slowness. Other than on these occasions, it has been fine.

Scalability-wise, everything is good. We have approximately 3,000 users and we do plan to increase usage. Ultimately, we want to include everyone, which is about 10,000 users.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are very responsive. They also have TAM support, which means that we have a dedicated engineer to look into our issues. That is nice to have.

I have used Cisco Umbrella in the past, which is similar. However, there are definitely differences between these two solutions. Cisco Umbrella is a DNS-based web filtering solution, whereas Zscaler is a cloud-based web application firewall combined with a regular firewall, antivirus, IPS, and other security features.

The initial setup is straightforward and the deployment took place over a couple of days.

We used Zscaler Professional Services for the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I completely recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Arun Sngh - PeerSpot reviewer
Function Head Technology IT at Tech Mahindra Limited
Is stable, easy to scale and set up, and helps to put central security controls on roaming users
  • "The users are at different locations, and Zscaler helps us to put the organization's central security controls on these roaming users."
  • "The performance needs improvement. Some areas create performance issues and, depending on the use cases, require reconfiguration to perform again."

What is our primary use case?

It's a proxy solution, and we use it for reverse proxy, DNS security, and storage security.

What is most valuable?

The users are at different locations, and Zscaler helps us to put the organization's central security controls on these roaming users.

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for one and a half years.

It's on Zscaler cloud.

I find Zscaler to be very stable.

It's very scalable because it's the cloud version. We have 100,000 users across all levels.

I would give technical support an eight out of ten.

Positive

We previously used Westcon-Comstor, which was on-premises, but with Zscaler, we moved to the cloud solution.

The initial setup was pretty easy. The deployment took about three months.

Our team of two members along with Zscaler's team implemented the solution.

We have seen an ROI. This is a well published product, and you get value for your money.

Because it's a cloud solution, we pay on a yearly basis. It is affordable and includes tech support and all features.

What other advice do I have?

Each use case is different, and you have to evaluate it and take the risk.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Zscaler Internet Access at nine.

Download our free Zscaler Internet Access Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022