IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Roberto_Boclin - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A storage virtualization software with a useful orchestration feature
  • "I like the orchestration feature."
  • "Integration could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We provide it for the government, big banks, and companies in Brazil.

What is most valuable?

I like the orchestration feature. The biggest problem with the hyper-convergence solutions is storage. This is because there's often a problem with the big size of the database. The other problem is how to use and balance VM in storage and CPU memory. When you use vSAN, you have a very good orchestration part. It's the main selling point of vSAN compared to other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Integration could be better. It should be easier to integrate vSAN with the dashboard you have, with Google, and the others. Better integration is very important because the customers need to put the solution inside their company. It's the same dashboard for AWS, the same dashboard on GCP. It's good to see this inside a dashboard. It's very important.

I have been using VMware vSAN since 2015.
VMware vSAN
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware vSAN a nine.

My company is a vSAN implementer.

The price is okay.

A good orchestration solution is SimpliVity. It's a very good choice because you don't have to dedicate much time. But vSAN is also very good. Dell's solution is very similar, but it's a complex tool.

Sandeep Solanki - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant General Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich, good support, and a trouble-free setup
  • "Technical support is good."
  • "There is always a challenge with their firmware."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for server virtualization.

What is most valuable?

We have found many of the features to be valuable.

What needs improvement?

There is always a challenge with their firmware. There is different hardware and they are always looking for different firmware that is compatible with vSAN. It is very difficult to find the compatibility matrix.

They need to do some kind of automation in terms of hardware, firmware, and compatibility with the vSAN. They need to do some sort of upgrade for the customer.

I would like to see the upgraded mechanism, and improvements on the hardware so that we can create a VPN.

I have been using VMware vSAN for more than two years.

It's a stable solution. So far we have not had any issues.

This is a scalable product. As it is only used for server virtualization, we do not consider usage on a per-user basis.

Technical support is good. They know what we need. We log a case and they come to us with suggestions to fix the issues.

The initial setup was manageable. It was not a problem.

VMware vSAN
June 2022
610,190 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tun Toe Aung - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Products And Solutions Architect at a government with 201-500 employees
Responsive technical support, easy to use, and stable
  • "The solution is simple to use compared to other solutions, such as Hyperflex, VxRail, and Nutanix"
  • "VMware vSAN needs to improve its features because other solutions have more advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is a hyper-converged infrastructure and we use it as a software-defined storage solution for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is simple to use compared to other solutions, such as Cisco Hyperflex, Dell VxRail, and Nutanix

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately four years.

The solution is quite stable in small and medium environments. However, I do not have experience using the solution in enterprises companies.

We have 31 people in my organization using this solution.

Technical has been good in my experience but they could improve.

The price of VMware vSAN is expensive and there is an annual license required.

I have evaluated many other solutions, such as Cisco Hyperflex, Dell VxRail, and Nutanix

What other advice do I have?

In my country, Myanmar, both VMware, and Cisco are the most reliable solution for networking and virtualization than other related solutions. Other vendors, such as Nutanix and SimpliVity are quite strange to our IT environments at this time.

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Maurizio Del Bianco - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at PAFOM
Reliable, simple to use, integrates well but expensive
  • "The solutions best feature is that it is easy to use."
  • "The customer service is good but there is a cost for it. It does not come free."

What is our primary use case?

We are a non-profit and we are working on a project utilizing the solution for infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The solutions best feature is that it is easy to use. The integration between different operating system is easy. It is reliable.

I have been using the solution for more than fifteen years.

The solution is totally stable.

The customer service is good but there is a cost for it. It does not come free.

It is an expensive solution. There should be more flexible with licensing to allow small businesses the essentials of the solution's features. They should have a reduced license fee for a certain amount of memory and nodes, or some kind of restriction like this, that would allow smaller businesses a reduced price. We have had a hard time to afford the solution.

There are a lot of other companies that offer similar solutions and they are becoming more and more competitive with VMware at a fraction of the price. For example, Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very good but the price is its downside, this is the reason for my low rating.

I rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Vladyslav Slobodianyk - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Dnipro-Technocnter
Reseller
Good productivity, data storage capabilities, and technical support
  • "The most valuable features are productivity and data storage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and VMware vSAN is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are productivity and data storage.

I have been working with VMware vSAN for between one and two years.

vSAN is a stable solution.

This is a scalable product.

I have not dealt with them directly but my understanding is that they have good technical support.

We are trying to support Nutanix, so I have some experience with it.

The suitability of one solution over the other depends on the use case.

As a system architect, I have not deployed it myself.

The price of vSAN could be lower.

The licensing fees are paid quarterly.

What other advice do I have?

My advice when it comes to products like vSAN or Nutanix is that these are products for new customers. Existing customers have a classic architecture and they have no reason to implement a hyper-converged infrastructure.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Software Specialist at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
    A stable solution with good support
    • "The solution is quite stable."
    • "We plan to switch products since the hardware nowadays is a little bit outdated and we need to scale up a bit."

What needs improvement?

We plan to switch products since the hardware nowadays is a little bit outdated and we need to scale up a bit. We are looking for better performance and storage. This is why we are examining other solutions, including VxRail.

We have been using VMware vSAN for at least 10 years.

The solution is quite stable. We have encountered some minor issues but, overall, are quite satisfied.

While the solution is scalable, I feel that this can be better.

Although we have not made much use of the technical support, we found them to be good and helpful in finding solutions.

The solutions we previously used were dissimilar to the current one. We had VMware for an extremely long time, at least 15 or 16 years. First, there was VMware servers, followed by us building and setting up VMware custom within a couple of servers.

I feel the pricing to be reasonable. We pay monthly.

What other advice do I have?

We have 50 users making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate VMware vSAN as an eight out of ten.

Solution Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    High performance, scalable, and great technical support

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is a software-defined storage solution and there are no hardware dependencies. We use it for general-purpose workloads or Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is most valuable?

The solution has high performance.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSAN could improve by adding NAS and object storage.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately four years.

The solution has been stable.

VMware vSAN is scalable.

We have approximately 5,000 people using this solution in my organization.

Our last customer in India had over 180 servers running.

The technical support has been great from VMware vSAN.

The installation was straightforward. We did not find it difficult.

We have a team of 50 that does the maintenance and support of the solution.

We pay for a license to use the solution through our company CapEx and then we continue to pay annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Professional Member at a tech company with 1-10 employees
    Beneficial multi-homing feature and straightforward installation
    • "I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution."
    • "I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified."

What is most valuable?

I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution.

What needs improvement?

I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified.

I have been using VMware vSAN for a couple of years.

VMware vSAN is stable.

I have not contacted support.

The Initially setup is easy. We have only three or four hosts. However, I might need to use some more services. A larger environment requires more hosts.

I have been told that if I used VxRail it would be cheaper than the system we are using now with buying the products separately. The solution is expensive overall.

In my company have some new consultant technicians who have more experience in the bigger setups. They suggest that I look at the VxRail solution.

We have been evaluating VMware Horizon and we are thinking about using it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022