Software Specialist at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
A stable solution with good support
  • "The solution is quite stable."
  • "We plan to switch products since the hardware nowadays is a little bit outdated and we need to scale up a bit."

What needs improvement?

We plan to switch products since the hardware nowadays is a little bit outdated and we need to scale up a bit. We are looking for better performance and storage. This is why we are examining other solutions, including VxRail.

We have been using VMware vSAN for at least 10 years.

The solution is quite stable. We have encountered some minor issues but, overall, are quite satisfied.

While the solution is scalable, I feel that this can be better.

VMware vSAN
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Although we have not made much use of the technical support, we found them to be good and helpful in finding solutions.

The solutions we previously used were dissimilar to the current one. We had VMware for an extremely long time, at least 15 or 16 years. First, there was VMware servers, followed by us building and setting up VMware custom within a couple of servers.

I feel the pricing to be reasonable. We pay monthly.

What other advice do I have?

We have 50 users making use of the solution in our organization.

I rate VMware vSAN as an eight out of ten.

Solution Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
High performance, scalable, and great technical support

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is a software-defined storage solution and there are no hardware dependencies. We use it for general-purpose workloads or Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI).

What is most valuable?

The solution has high performance.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSAN could improve by adding NAS and object storage.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately four years.

The solution has been stable.

VMware vSAN is scalable.

We have approximately 5,000 people using this solution in my organization.

Our last customer in India had over 180 servers running.

The technical support has been great from VMware vSAN.

The installation was straightforward. We did not find it difficult.

We have a team of 50 that does the maintenance and support of the solution.

We pay for a license to use the solution through our company CapEx and then we continue to pay annually.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

VMware vSAN
November 2022
653,584 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Professional Member at a tech company with 1-10 employees
Beneficial multi-homing feature and straightforward installation
  • "I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution."
  • "I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified."

What is most valuable?

I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution.

What needs improvement?

I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified.

I have been using VMware vSAN for a couple of years.

VMware vSAN is stable.

I have not contacted support.

The Initially setup is easy. We have only three or four hosts. However, I might need to use some more services. A larger environment requires more hosts.

I have been told that if I used VxRail it would be cheaper than the system we are using now with buying the products separately. The solution is expensive overall.

In my company have some new consultant technicians who have more experience in the bigger setups. They suggest that I look at the VxRail solution.

We have been evaluating VMware Horizon and we are thinking about using it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Mohd Azwan Azam - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Engineer at Stellariz
It is stable and easy to work with, but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We have around 70 to 100 VMs, and we use VMware vSAN to store our data. We have a lot of daily data.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to work with, easy to handle, and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be improved. It is too expensive for our clients.

I have been using this solution for around a year.

It is quite stable.

We didn't increase our storage.

Their technical support is really helpful. They are very efficient. I didn't have any problem.

Its initial setup is not difficult.

It is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution to implement if you have a lot of data. It is quite stable and not too difficult to manage.

I would rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten. It is a good solution, but it is too expensive.

Rizki Ardiansyah - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Coordinator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution, but is overpriced and could have faster replication and compression features
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "While I like the replication and compression features, there is a problem with them running too slowly."

What needs improvement?

The user-friendliness could be better.

The solution is quite pricey in comparison with other products, such as HP or Cisco.

While I like the replication and compression features, there is a problem with them running too slowly. This is not of benefit to the customers, but it is important when it comes to migrating.

I've been using VMware vSAN for around two years.

The solution is stable.

It is difficult for me to comment on the technical support, as we are not the customer or user.

The complexity of the initial setup varies with the customer.

In comparison with other solutions, such as HP or Cisco, I find the solution to be quite pricey.

HP and Cisco have lower priced solutions than VMware vSAN, which I find to be quite pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I think I am satisfied with the product. I would say it is so so.

I rate VMware vSAN as a seven out of ten.

Maan Othman - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Simple, very stable, but needs easier implementation and better pricing

What is our primary use case?

It is inside the data center as software-defined storage for the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing is the simplicity of the product. It is a well-established product with good stability.

What needs improvement?

Its installation should be easier, and its price should be cheaper.

It would be good for the product if they can include the data locality feature.

It has good stability.

It is scalable. We have around ten customers of this solution.

Their technical support is fine.

It is neither easy nor complicated. It is in-between. The deployment took one to two days. You need one to two engineers for its deployment and maintenance.

It is expensive. It should be cheaper.

It has a perpetual license as well as a subscription-based license, but they are moving towards subscription-based licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Solutions Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, reliable, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data storage virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, they can bring in the object storage capabilities to this solution. Currently, there is not any compatibility.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

Technical support could be better for this solution, the response time is too slow.

The initial setup is easy but the deployment can take some time, approximately six hours.

We did the implementation of the solution and we do not need many technicians for the implementation.

I would like to use more advanced models of the solution but the price needs to be reduced. There are some extra costs for this solution including a license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Head of Professional Solutions at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Very integrated and is scalable

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is software-defined storage. I think that says it all. You don't have to buy additional external storage, and you can manage all the storage entities from the console. That's very important to our customers.

What is most valuable?

vSAN is very integrated.

What needs improvement?

Ease of administration is one area where vSAN could be improved.

We've been using vSAN for probably four to five years.

For our purposes, vSAN's stability is okay.

vSAN is scalable.

As far as I know, any VMware tickets that we've escalated have been handled professionally. and their support team is very skilled.

It's straightforward. Because we are deploying it from the VxRail global setup, there is no dedicated vSAN setup that we are providing. It's all integrated into the VxRail setup. However, installing vSAN itself can be quite complex if you're doing it from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vSAN eight out of 10. I would recommend it to others.

Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022