We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Head of the Cloud Factory Architecture & President at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Mature solution that is simple to implement and maintain
  • "Allows us to implement more quickly, and to ease the maintenance."
  • "One area that could be improved is the management feature."

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has improved our organization by allowing us to implement more quickly, and to ease the maintenance. However, it doesn't change the internal organization much.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is the simplicity to implement and to maintain.

What needs improvement?

One area that could be improved is the management feature. The link between the virtualization layer and the application layer can be improved as well.

An additional feature I would like to see in the next release is integration between virtualization with vSAN and network virtualization.

I've been using the solution for the last three years.

My impression of the stability is that it's a very good solution for our usage.

For the product cloud, scalability is okay. However, when we try to use a larger cloud, we can add more new nodes into the same vSAN configuration.

Every year, our number of users increases.

The customer support is very good, depending on the contract support that you supply. We are using a premium support and the quality is quite good.

The complexity of the initial setup is not really on the VMware, but only the hyper-layer because we need to check if the hyper-layer, underlying VMware are strictly compatible.

For the first implementation, it took more or less one year, but now it takes much less time to add new material and new configuration.

In the beginning, we saw a huge return on investment from VMware, from 10 years ago to five years ago, but now we are used to the product. So the ROI doesn't make much enough for us because we only use vSAN. Now VMware is the baseline.

The product is quite expensive, regarding the open-source solution.

The cost of the solution is a mixture of monthly user and licenses purchasing. So for the internal user, we use licenses purchasing. For an external customer, we use the Pay-Per-View model.

Before choosing VMware, we evaluated Microsoft Nutanix and Cisco HyperFlex. VMware design is more mature than the other solutions, generally.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Google
Managing Director at Ictnet Limited
Easy to set up, simple to manage, and very user-friendly
  • "The scalability is very good and the solution is stable and reliable."
  • "This product is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

While we have some applications running on VMware, mostly we are providing and proposing these solutions to our clients.

I have one client, for example, that is running the CRM and accounts and manufacturing applications on VMware and they're using HP infrastructure for them. They have some SQL databases they're running on that and some back-office applications, and also an Extend Server as well.

What is most valuable?

The migration capabilities are a very useful aspect of the solution.

The way it handles failovers is very good.

The imaging is helpful.

Right now, VMware is number one in the virtual space.

The initial setup is very easy.

The management is very straightforward. It's an extremely user-friendly product.

It integrates very well with other products.

The scalability is very good and the solution is stable and reliable.

So far, everything is okay.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there aren't any shortcomings to discuss or missing features that we worry about.

This product is very expensive.

I've used the solution for a long time. I'd used VMware since it come out in the '90s. It's been decades.

I have found the stability to be great. There aren't bugs. It doesn't glitch. There aren't issues around it crashing or freezing. It's reliable.

The scalability has been great. If you need to expand it, you can do so.

Technical support has been great. They are helpful and responsive. I've been happy with their level of service when we've needed them. We are satisfied.

The initial setup is very straightforward and simple. There shouldn't be an issue if a company wants to set it up.

If you have, for example, 100 VMs, you only need one person to manage it. It requires very little maintenance or overhead in terms of staff.

The solution can be expensive. However, if you are a big company, such as a telco, likely you can get a good deal on pricing. That said, being so big, likely the cost won't be a deterrent.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and also a solution provider.

The solution is great. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten. I'd advise other people to give it a try.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,208 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Simple implementation, responsive support, and multiple server application
  • "The implementation is simple, it was very straightforward. It took us approximately three weeks because it was installed in four locations."
  • "We are facing some problems with updates with the VMware vSAN. When we upgraded from version 6.5 to 7, we have been faced with many problems. They have been deploying many hotfixes for this version, and they need to continue to improve this version."

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is our hypervisor and we are using it for all our applications.

What needs improvement?

We are facing some problems with updates with the VMware vSAN. When we upgraded from version 6.5 to 7, we have been faced with many problems. They have been deploying many hotfixes for this version, and they need to continue to improve this version.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately three years.

VMware vSAN is a stable solution.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

VMware is the host of all of our servers. We have many kinds of servers, such as application, service, call manager, and mail servers. Many users use these servers from all the titles in the company. We use this solution every day in our company.

When we faced some problems, we opened support tickets with VMware, and their support was very fast. They were able to fix the problems we had.

We were previously using Microsoft Hyper-V.

VMware vSAN is more professional than Microsoft Hyper-V for this kind of application. The scalability for VMware is better than  Microsoft. There are limitations in Microsoft Hyper-V. and many applications support VMware vSAN, such as Oracle, Cisco, and Linux.

We used a consultants company called Adaptive here in Cairo, Egypt for the installation.

The consultant was very good, and their information was perfect. They were very helpful to us.

We have a two-person technical team that supports this solution.

There is a license to use this solution and we pay approximately $30,000 annually. There were not any additional fees required other than the license. The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend VMware vSAN if there are problems that they face, such as limitations for their applications. It would be good to use VMware vSAN. If they have not found limitations in their operating system while working with Windows, they can use Microsoft Hyper-V instead.

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Managing Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to manage, with a convenient dashboard and good stability
  • "The solution fits well with my requirements."
  • "It would be ideal if the solution offered some intelligent monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for virtualization for our organization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to manage due to the fact that it uses the same dashboard as Center.

vSAN is okay for HCI.

The solution fits well with my requirements.

The stability is good.

The product can scale.

I have always found the technical support to be helpful and responsive.

What needs improvement?

So far, the solution is okay with me.

It would be ideal if the solution offered some intelligent monitoring. Right now, most of these features are in another subscription such as Log Insight.

I've used the solution for three years.

The stability has been very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

We currently have ten people that directly use the solution in our organization.

The scalability is simple. It's very easy to scale the HCI node.

We rarely use technical support. We might use them for consulting purposes sometimes if, for example, we have a new system and then we are concerned that it might or might not be running on vSAN. We might need them to probe it first. So far, we have been satisfied with the level of support we get.

I was not a part of the implementation process and therefore cannot speak to how easy or difficult it may be.

The solution has very few maintenance requirements. Occasionally, they may recommend a fix or patch by updating it, and we do so. However, other than that, it's pretty simple to maintain.

Normally we use a local system integrator or distributor to do the setup for us.

The pricing is competitive with other vendors. It's mid-range in terms of pricing. It's not cheap and it's not overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We are using the latest version of the solution at this time.

I'd recommend the solution to other users. It's easy to deploy and great for virtualization.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

MinaMagdy
Senior Infrastructure Solutions Specialist at Fiber Misr
Good performance, straightforward to set up, and integrates well with vSphere
  • "This product has very good performance when it comes to virtualization storage and works well with solutions such as SAP HANA, Exadata, Hadoop, and Big Data Analytics."
  • "More focus has to be put on deduplication and compression with a hybrid architecture."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and VMware vSAN is one of the software-defined storage products that we propose to our customers. Most of the use cases that we see from our customers are where they need to utilize their own hardware. When the environment grows then they buy additional storage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with vSphere.

The deduplication and compression work well.

One of the benefits of using this solution is that when you need additional storage, you just add it.

What needs improvement?

More focus has to be put on deduplication and compression with a hybrid architecture. The reason is that some customers need to have a more cost-effective solution so they don't want to implement all-flash. As such, they need to use a hybrid environment.

I have been working with VMware vSAN for more than ten years, from when vSAN first began.

This is a very reliable product.

It is easy to deploy additional machines when you need them for your workload.

vSAN can be expanded up to 96 hosts.

The support is very good and they respond quickly.

The initial setup is very straightforward. The length of time required for deployment depends on the number of nodes that it will be installed in. The typical setup takes from one week to two weeks.

The pricing vSAN is very expensive. Enterprise customers can customize their licenses according to their own needs and budget.

What other advice do I have?

There is a cloud offering of this solution but our customers always choose the on-premises version. Most of our customers do not use vSAN as a standalone solution but rather, as part of a hyper-converged infrastructure. We normally propose its use with a product like VxRail and my advice is not to implement it standalone.

System Administrator at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Compatible legacy solutions, effective replication backup, and simple installation
  • "VMware vSAN is compatible with the legacy hypervisor solutions and most of the features are good."
  • "The technical support, it's not satisfactory. Whenever we raise a ticket it takes a lot of time to have an engineer get involved sometimes, or we receive a less experienced engineer. We then have to repeat the situation to the next engineer which all takes time."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case for VMware vSAN is auxiliary services, such as Windows, Linux, and not a specific server, but mixed loads.

How has it helped my organization?

We were able to replace lots of negative servers and replace them with VMware.

What is most valuable?

VMware vSAN is compatible with the legacy hypervisor solutions and most of the features are good.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

The scalability of the solution is good. The node cluster they are using has been enough for them.

we have approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

The technical support, it's not satisfactory. Whenever we raise a ticket it takes a lot of time to have an engineer get involved sometimes, or we receive a less experienced engineer. We then have to repeat the situation to the next engineer which all takes time.

The setup is not complicated. The deployment of VMware vSAN with VxRail can be completed in three to four hours, for one cluster out of the physical setup. The physical setup could take approximately one day. After that, deployment is very easy to complete.

We have four people that do the deployment and physical setup of the solution.

The price of the solution package depends on the nodes and other factors. The cost some of our customers paid was $500,000. The licensing cost for the components is very good.

My customers were comfortable with VMware and then they decided to use VMware instead of another solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is if someone is interested in VMware vSAN it is a good solution. It is stable, supportive, and compatible with many solutions. VMware vSAN is the best.

Customers have to consider when choosing VMware to receive a lot of features, such as replication backup, and if they went with another solution it would be more expensive.

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Scalable, good performance, and easy to deploy
  • "The scalability of the solution is most valuable."
  • "They can improve the manageability of the solution to make it more simple. It is not that complicated, but it will be good if they can make it more simple."

What is our primary use case?

We usually use it for any workload virtualization, data center virtualization, and storage. We use it for our software-defined storage and when a customer needs scalable storage. Data center modernization is also a use case for it.

I am using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the solution is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the manageability of the solution to make it more simple. It is not that complicated, but it will be good if they can make it more simple.

I have been using this solution for almost three years.

It is stable, and its performance is very good.

It is really scalable. We have five to six administrators and implementers who work with this solution.

They are supportive. They are good in their support.

In my previous company, I worked with Nutanix. In my current company, I'm working with vSAN. Nutanix is much simpler from an interface point of view. vSAN, as a part of VMware, has more maturity in terms of features and software-defined data center journey. VMware is more mature than Nutanix in this area.

It is straightforward. It took two to three days.

In terms of maintenance, it requires the usual day-to-day maintenance. It sometimes requires some kind of support.

We installed it ourselves.

It is not that expensive, and it is not even cheap. If it is designed in a proper way, it has good pricing, but if you do oversizing, the price will be high. There are different licensing models.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to do proper sizing and look at the features that they want to include or not include. They need to first understand their business needs and then do the sizing. This way they will get a good solution.

I would rate VMware vSAN a nine out of 10.

Abbasi Poonawala
Vice President Derivatives Ops IT at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Functional dashboard, scalable, but more volume views needed
  • "This solution has a dashboard that you can log into and control if you need too while the VM is getting created."
  • "The solution could be improved by having more filtered and multiple view volumes instead of a single view."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is the virtualization and storage process in a simple platform.

The solution is not independent, it is interlaced with other solution such as vSphere and NSX. If you work with one you will be working with others. vSphere is connected to NSX and the NSX will connect to the vSAN. vSphere connects for storage purpose. When the virtualization process is happening, the storage area network would be vSAN. It resembles a managed service from VMware, where all the data and everything will be put into the vSAN.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a dashboard that you can log into and control if you need too while the VM is getting created.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by having more filtered and multiple view volumes instead of a single view.

In the next release, I would like to see a more user-friendly dashboard with the potential to display issues. It should be capable of detecting the issues faster. For example, if something is wrong with your LAN, controller, or storage volumes.

I have used the solution for ten years.

The solution is scalable. We have more than 50 administrators and approximately 200 operators using the solution.

The technical team is provided by VMware and has workers in all different areas. For example, there will be people working in the storage control part or in the technical area.

It was quite easy to install and took a couple of hours.

I did the installation by myself.

The solution requires a license. The payment is on a yearly basis and It is not overly expensive.

We evaluated Microsoft Hyper-V which has a similar storage area network. However, it can not be used together with NSX and vSpere like this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue using and recommend this solution.

I rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.