Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
DPO - Especialista em Proteção de Dados at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Good site categorization and application controls; user interface could be improved
  • "Good site categorization and application controls."
  • "User interface could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our company provides consultancy services. We are resellers and integrators, and we implement this solution for our customers. I'm a systems engineer.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is important for the main security program of our client companies.

What is most valuable?

I like the site categorization and application controls, and I also like the anti-spam feature.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be improved. Another issue is that part of the company strategy is that once the license expires, the company blocks features and things slow down. It would be nice if they would provide a free version for small companies. Most companies here in Brazil either don't have the money or their culture is cost-oriented so they don't make large investments in security. They prefer products which are less expensive such as open, source-based firewalls. Having access to a free version would mean that we could create an awareness within the company about the importance of these solutions. Because of the dollar rate, the product is quite expensive for us, whereas in the States it's affordable to spend a few thousand dollars on a solution.

SonicWall TZ
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this product for six years.

The solution is not very scalable. We often have to change the appliances. That's the downside on these kinds of projects because it then requires the company to make an additional purchase. Our clients usually have up to 400 users each.

We don't like the technical support much. There is a long wait time to get a response.

We also use Fortinet for our clients and we prefer that solution. Fortinet has a better user interface that's easier to use with no hardware charges. It's a more expensive solution but you get what you pay for. The graphical user interface is not so easy with SonicWall. Sophos also has a better user interface.

The initial setup is complex and takes a few hours. It really requires specialized technicians. If the user interface was easier it would be a little less complex to deploy. It means they need to contact companies like ours, but maybe they need to improve their in-house support.

What other advice do I have?

We think SonicWall is a good product. Sometimes the technicians don't have the expertise to deploy and there can be issues with appliances that are not sized correctly and the appliances get overloaded and it slows down the network. It's not because of the solution, it's the lack of experience.

I would rate this solution a six out of 10.

General Manager at Antea Consulting
Reseller
Easy to set up, stable. and reasonably priced
  • "The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable."
  • "Although the pricing is good, it could always be lower. If we get to pay less, we're happier."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall for security purposes. We use it to protect ourselves and our clients.

What is most valuable?

The solution, as a firewall is very useful for any company trying to protect their premise through the internet.

The price of the solution is very reasonable.

The performance has been very good. Overall, the solution is quite stable.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

In general, it's quite a solid product.

The initial setup is quite simple.

What needs improvement?

It's worked well for us over the years. We don't have any special demands in terms of new features. It has everything we need.

We've been working with the solution for about 22 years. It's been over two decades. We've used it for a long time.

The stability of the solution is good. The performance is pretty good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good over the years.

The scalability of the product is quite good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We have about 200 customers using this solution right now.

We do have plans to increase usage. We're moving more and more towards managing it.

For the SMV market, it's very nice support. We have no complaints. We're happy with the service they provide, especially at the price they offer.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complicated or difficult. A company shouldn't have any problems installing it.

To do an installation might take 15 minutes, then for adding any kind of complexity into the setup, there could be an added four hours or so. It depends on your setup requirements and the environment.

We have two people that handle the maintenance, and we also have one consultant.

We handled it ourselves. We're integrators ourselves. It's very easy to do.

The product offers very competitive pricing, It's quite good. We find it very reasonable.

Users need to pay a licensing fee on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution at any given time.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been quite happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

SonicWall TZ
September 2022
632,611 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tharuka Fernando - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Executive at Pelemix Lanka
Stable, user-friendly, and helpful for seeing the bandwidth usage
  • "It is very user-friendly, and there is no problem in using its interface."
  • "Its reporting can be improved. Currently, we cannot directly get the user names. It only shows the IP, which makes it a bit confusing because we need to use the IP to find the user. If we could directly get the name of the user, it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We are using a server for all our details, and we are accessing data from multiple countries. So, we needed a firewall.

We are using the SonicWall TZ400 model.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helpful in many ways. We can see the bandwidth usage for users and how they have used it. From time to time, we get complaints that the server is a bit slow, and we then go to the reporting part to check the bandwidth usage for each user. It has also blocked a couple of viruses.

What is most valuable?

It is very user-friendly, and there is no problem in using its interface.

What needs improvement?

Its reporting can be improved. Currently, we cannot directly get the user names. It only shows the IP, which makes it a bit confusing because we need to use the IP to find the user. If we could directly get the name of the user, it would be better.

Its licensing should be improved. We would like to get the reporting part along with the license, without having to purchase it separately. It would be good if they combine both of these.

Its scalability can also be improved.

We have been using this solution for about two years.

It is a stable solution. There is no doubt about it.

Currently, we have 17 users in our country with access to the firewall. We have given them a VPN connection to the firewall to access some of their data.

It is more suitable for small businesses. It would be useful if they can improve its scalability so that even big companies can use it.

Whenever I needed any kind of support, the local partner gave me the best possible support. Their support was extremely good.

It is a bit expensive. We have to purchase the license and the reporting part separately, which makes it a bit pricey. This is the main reason why we have thought of moving to another firewall. It would be good if they combine both of these.

What other advice do I have?

We were a small business at the beginning, and we did not think of allowing all of our countries to access the server, but now, we need to give everyone access to the server. We are thinking of moving to a firewall that would be better than this.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a 10 out of 10. It is a good product.

Sr. Executive IT / DP at a financial services firm with 1-10 employees
Offers good protection, but it's expensive, and there are no upgrades for phased out technology
  • "The general feature is the antivirus policy, followed by the ransomware protection, and these are the features I was looking at."
  • "The interface and technical support are probably the two most important things that I would like SonicWall to improve."

What is our primary use case?

It is for our company. We are not customers, we are direct clients. I am the end user.

What is most valuable?

The general feature is the antivirus policy, followed by the ransomware protection, and these are the features I was looking at. The VPN feature is not something that I'm a great fan of, but I mean, it is not something that I would even complain about. Whatever is required for my organization, the TZ 400 has performed admirably.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is a little challenging. It is not something I am familiar with. Things could go much more smoothly if they could be improved.

The interface and technical support are probably the two most important things that I would like SonicWall to improve. If the product that they have is to be phased out, there must be an upgrade in technology as well.

I have been working with SonicWall TZ for seven years.

The version we are working with is SonicWall TZ400.

SonicWall TZ is a stable product.

SonicWall TZ is scalable.

It was difficult to contact technical support online.

Before SonicWall TZ, I have not worked with another similar product.

I recently purchased a FortiGate from Fortinet. I am about to receive the delivery, which will most likely be in a fortnight, so I do not have much experience. We are planning to use Fortinet FortiGate, our plan is to switch from SonicWall to Fortinet.

The initial setup is smooth. It is not complex.

It can take an hour to two hours to deploy.

The vendor was able to assist us.

The prices are expensive. I wouldn't say the prices are reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

Personally, I find it challenging. Previously, they had an Adobe Flash interface. When Adobe Flash was phased out and a new version was released, it was difficult for us to upgrade, and we received little help from the SonicWall team.

I had also purchased the SonicWall Analyzer. The Analyzer was also based on Adobe Flash, which they did not support. One must consider future expandability and the technology that is being deployed, as well as whether or not it is supported by the company if it is phased out.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a six out of ten.

IT Infra Head at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Not scalable and doesn't have centralized management monitoring, but it is reliable and the support is good
  • "Technical support is good."
  • "We require centralized monitoring of the network features, which they have but they are not to the level that we require."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to secure our network environment. We have implemented it in other locations in our organization.

What is most valuable?

It's a good solution with good features.

What needs improvement?

It's a good product, but it's not a next-generation firewall. We are looking for a next-generation firewall and considering Cisco.

The reporting is not good. Also, the historical configuration of the data or backup is not available.

To compete in the market, there have to be a lot of improvements.

We do not plan to continue using SonicWall TZ. We are looking for a replacement because we need centralized monitoring across the organization. It has been very difficult for us to manage the firewall as it is not managed centrally. This is the main drawback in our current scenario.

In the next release, I would like to see better scalability, easier installation, improved reporting, storage configuration, backup, and centralized management with reporting.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable product.

It is not very scalable, which is something that could be better.

We have multiple locations and have implemented it in several.

At this time, we have 1,000 users on the firewall.

Technical support is good. There is no need for improvement.

We did not use another firewall previously.

The installation is not straightforward. But, through the GUI, there are features that you can enable to configure.

Forcepoint and Cisco are straightforward but there are many things to do with SonicWall.

For a first-time installation, it can take half a day to deploy.

We completed the implementation ourselves.

The license that we purchased is good for three years.

We have evaluated ForcePoint but we haven't used it.

We will be testing Cisco and Barracuda in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

For small organizations, its' good, and I would recommend it, but not for medium or large enterprise companies.

I would rate SonicWall TZ a five out of ten.

SandeepKumar13 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a legal firm with 11-50 employees
Stable with good pricing and helpful technical support
  • "It's been very easy to implement and deploy."
  • "The technology in this particular version is very old."

What is most valuable?

The web security and IPsec VPN are both valuable aspects of the solution.

The NAT policies and port forwarding are great.

We were initially actually using very basic features for my organization's requirements. It is a very simple model. There isn't much complexity to it.

It's been very easy to implement and deploy.

The solution is stable.

Technical support is perfect.

We've found the pricing to be pretty good overall.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if it was more user-friendly. The user interface is a bit difficult to navigate.

The technology in this particular version is very old.

They have to improve their assistant client application.

In this particular SonicWall has a challenge with the SSL client. It provided NetExtender, a client application that is very challenging and is difficult to manage.

I've been working with the solution for about six years or so.

I would say that it is 100% stable. Sometimes there's an issue, and we have to log a ticket, however, they will have it resolved. Rarely are there bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

Sometimes support is delayed, and sometimes we get items resolved within hours. Overall, it is okay. Overall it is okay. They are very helpful and responsive most of the time and we are quite satisfied with their level of attention.

We previously used a solution called AnexGATE. However, we had issues with port following and needed to switch.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex. A company shouldn't have too much trouble implementing it. This is especially true if you have a bit of a technical person implementing it.

For the most part, the solution is very economical.

Although we have been using it for the last six or seven years, it is now expired and we want to upgrade it with either Fortinet or Sophos, and so, we are looking into those.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user.

We are using the TZ300 model at this time. We haven't used the latest version of the solution just yet.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Harish 12 - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security and Information Governance Head at Aeren
Works for small businesses, but should provide more features in the standard license

What is most valuable?

SonicWall is perfectly okay for businesses that need to support around 100-150 users.

What needs improvement?

SonicWall is very expensive in terms of using it for 500 users. It's very expensive compared to Cisco Meraki. Cisco Meraki is half the price with the same features. Even FortiGate is less expensive than SonicWall.

I'd like to see anti-spam included in the standard license. I have to pay more for anti-spam when really it should be the standard feature.

I have been using SonicWall for about two years.

No issues with stability. There's an automatic update that defines everything and then implements it to where I can see it on the dashboard. I can see all the spam or malware that was detected, as well as the vulnerability. It then stops those issues.

General maintenance is okay, but if some users require changes, or I have to deploy some policy on the users, then the steps are actually pretty lengthy.

The only issue I have with scalability is the price.

I get in touch with technical support whenever we require the support, the support is okay. We have a toll free number to connect with them. I just connect support and then discuss the issues. They take control of my firewall and then make changes as per my requirement. That's fine. The support is more or less is good. That's not an issue.

I license SonicWall TZ for three years subscription and support. I would say the price is about 20% more when compared to the competition. The standard service for what my company needs is already covered in that license. But if I need more licenses like for VPN or some other filtering, then I need to pay more.

I worked with Meraki and Fortigate. I can differentiate the products in terms of ease of use. If I go for ease of use and deployability, then I would prefer Cisco Meraki in any case.

It's not user friendly as compared to Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

If an organization has about 200 users with slow growth, then SonicWall would be great. But if the growth is exponential and rapid, they may want to consider other solutions or SonicWall NSA.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Easy to set up with good pricing and a variety of security features
  • "It's a very cost-effective solution."
  • "The stability could be a lot better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use TZ300 for our branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The price of the solution is great. It's a very cost-effective solution.

There are a lot of security features - including Capture Client, URL filtering, content filtering, application filtering, et cetera, and they are all very useful in terms of protecting our company.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The stability could be a lot better. The SonicOS, which we were using, was not that stable. Sometimes it is not performing as expected as per the policies we have set.

The log, the logging capabilities, are not so good. For example, the logging for traffic logs was not being stored properly. The logging must support some storage space. If there is a storage device or storage mechanism within it we would be able to get the log easier.

We've been using the solution over the last 12 months or so. It's been a while.

We haven't found the solution to be very stable. t doesn't operate as we expect it to sometimes. We'd like it to be better, performance-wise.

We currently have 20-25 users in our branch offices. We started with 15 users and therefore we scaled up a bit, however, not in a massive sense. At this point, we likely won't scale anymore.

We have been in touch with technical support and I would say that they are responding fine. We are happy so far with their attention. Occasionally we deal with stability issues and we find that they respond quickly.

The initial setup was not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward. The whole setup is pretty plug-and-play.

The pricing is very reasonable. It's quite cost-effective. We purchase a license that renews yearly.

We did previously also look at Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners and resellers. I'm a consultant.

I'd advise new users that if they are planning to deploy it for their SMB or have up to 100 users, then they should go with the SonicWall firewall.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall.

Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022