We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
HR Analyst at Unicoba
A stable and scalable web-based hiring platform
  • "The candidate experience was better because the whole process was there."
  • "We ran into some serious issues related to language barriers."

What is our primary use case?

We used this solution for recruitment and hiring.

In the company that I used to work for, there were only three recruiters using this solution. There were an HR representative and a manager who were part of the recruiting team. Overall, within our organization, there were roughly 20 to 22 users who used SmartRecruiters.

I dealt with large numbers of applicants — sometimes upwards of 500, depending on the position we were recruiting for.

How has it helped my organization?

We could simply extract reports from the system — from the platform. The candidate experience was better because the whole process was there. All the steps they had to do to move forward were there; it was simple and clear. As a recruiter, my experience was good because I had all this information at my fingertips. It provided me with ways to manage every position.

What is most valuable?

The data analysis information capabilities were good. We had to keep track of how many people we contacted, how many people we interviewed, the steps of the recruiting process, etc. Using SmartRecruiters, I had to input all of that information on Excel spreadsheets — it was very manual and difficult to collect the data. Using SmartRecruiter's features and charts, it was easier to collect and present data, and to visualize how we were doing in terms of the recruitment and talent acquisition process.

What needs improvement?

SmartRecruiters is very complete but it's a little bit complex to use. Initially, there's a lot of information to take in. For me, as a talent acquisition analyst, it was easy. I used to use the platform all the time, so it was easy for me, but the managers who I worked with, although we had the same experience, they complained about the amount of information they had to put into the system.

We would open a new position, for example, I could proceed with the recruiting process, but for them, it was a little bit complex because they didn't use it on a daily basis — it's a little bit complex to understand the platform. There's a language barrier — for me, I'm Brazilian so Portuguese is easier, it's my mother tongue, but the platform was only in English. We ran into some serious issues related to language barriers.

Our main problem was that it wasn't that user-friendly. There should be a little bit more information and documentation. Maybe it was a request from BIC to have all these spots to fill in with information, or maybe it was the platform; I am not really certain. Either way, there should be more documentation to turn to.

With Guppy, the platform that I use today, it's easier because it's in Portuguese. The experience itself, it's easier, it's more user-friendly than SmartRecruiters.

I am actually not using SmartRecruiters anymore. I used to have contact with the platform when I worked at BIC — the pen factory. In total, I used SmartRecruiters for three years.

SmartRecruiters was very stable. I never had problems regarding the stability — it was very good.

It grew well. There was a bit of a process. In the beginning, it was a little hard, but then it scaled well.

I always had a very good experience with technical support. They promptly responded and solved all of my issues.

The initial setup was complex at the beginning, but after a few meetings in steps, it became simpler and easier to understand.

I worked with Mexicans, Americans, French people, etc. For this reason, there was a lot of information that was not useful to me (as a Brazillian), but it was for others. Since the beginning, we started building the platform together. It would have been nice if there was a way to divide information by region, country, or language — so it wouldn't have to be one platform for everyone, under one language. For this reason, there were many complex spots to fill.

I don't remember exactly how long deployment took — I think roughly four months to set up the platform, meetings, etc.

I was not involved with the licensing of this solution.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in using SmartRecruiters, then you have to consider the talent acquisition process culture in the country you're located in so you can make it a more user-friendly platform and create a better experience for the candidates and hiring team. Consider all possibilities. Overall, it was a very nice platform, but it should be more culturally-adaptable.

Improving the candidate experience is very important. It was very good to see how the platform works and how easy it became for us to see our data and to analyze the information received.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give SmartRecrutiers a rating of eight.

Recruiter/ Talent Acquisition Volunteer at a non-profit with 51-200 employees
An easy-to-use and reliable solution that saves a lot of time and has good price and ROI
  • "I found the core product quite useful. It is easy to use and quite user-friendly. They have also got other options, such as CRM and HRS. They have other versions such as smart distribute, which is an HRS type of system to analyze and get permissions needed from the applicants. In terms of pricing, SmartRecruiters is much better than its competitors."
  • "Sometimes, there is this language or communication barrier in terms of what the applicants mentioned. SmartRecruiters sometimes has trouble understanding certain types of keywords or has certain types of language, translation, or grammar issues."

What is our primary use case?

I use SmartRecruiters to collect resumes of the applicants who apply through our company's website or other websites like LinkedIn or Monster and analyze their keywords.

How has it helped my organization?

SmartRecruiters uses AI and machine learning algorithms to identify the keywords that I am looking for. With the help of that, I am able to go through a lot of resumes. It saves a lot of time and makes it easier to find specific candidates with the right skillset. By getting data and communicating better with candidates, I could answer questions for clients in a better way.

What is most valuable?

I found the core product quite useful. It is easy to use and quite user-friendly. They have also got other options, such as CRM and HRS. They have other versions such as smart distribute, which is an HRS type of system to analyze and get permissions needed from the applicants. In terms of pricing, SmartRecruiters is much better than its competitors.

What needs improvement?

At times when resumes come in and while analyzing keywords that I look for based on role/field, they don't show up or mention something else with grammatical error due to autocorrect, using varying English language (by country) on a word processor software that as a recruiter and applicant wouldn't think of at times and is not noticed.
They should be more inclusive in analyzing and flagging words that mean the same but spelled differently.

I started using this solution a few weeks back.

From what I've experienced, it is a reliable solution.

I haven't scaled it yet. Probably in the future, we will scale it up and try something.

In terms of the number of users using SmartRecruiters, we have six people within the HR team in our company. We have talent acquisition, the hiring manager, and the recruiter.

I did call them twice, and their response has been quite good. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

I didn't use any solution previously.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was not that difficult. The deployment took around 45 minutes.

At times, I did it myself, and if I needed some assistance, I asked the team.

In terms of device maintenance, it requires weekly maintenance and updates, and we have an IT desk analysis team that takes care of it. They help with the services, and sometimes, if there is an issue with the hardware, they assist in that as well.

We have seen ROI from using SmartRecruiters. We saved a lot of money because previously, we had to use different software, such as equipment software, CRM software, and HR software, which was quite expensive for the company.

SmartRecruiters is much better than its competitors. Considering the type of features and services it provides, it is probably one of the best solutions in the market. Others may offer a similar price, but their services won't be that good or the user-friendliness won't be that great.

The licensing works based on how many users are there in a company. If you are using other functionalities, like CRM and HRS, the price increases.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to explore and try different alternatives. It is the time to actually experiment and try a new type of provider out there in the market. It is not all about the pricing. It is about the functionality, return on investment, and amount of time you save in getting a service provider that provides everything at an affordable price. The type of software that is available now is really great. It has changed a lot over the last couple of years. Considering that we are working from home nowadays, it is important to rely on software.

I would recommend this solution. In terms of what SmartRecruiters offers and in terms of CRM or HRS and other things, I find it quite good.

I would rate SmartRecruiters a nine out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about SmartRecruiters. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Jimmy Avery
Recruiter at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A highly user-friendly recruitment solution
  • "I used the free version, which I found valuable."
  • "SmartRecruiters' on-click application process could be better."

What is our primary use case?

I used SmartRecruiters as a recruiter to fill roles at different companies and organizations.

How has it helped my organization?

SmartRecruiters helped us get more candidates. This is because we were able to get them from more websites that we wouldn't have been posting on normally. But we did it because it was free.

What is most valuable?

I used the free version, which I found valuable. It allowed me to post up to ten roles on multiple job boards like LinkedIn and Indeed, and all for free. However, for more than ten roles, you go onto the paid enterprise version.

I'm happy with their customizations and the dashboard. What's good is if you're a candidate, you can create a SmartRecruiters profile, and I think that can be used across different companies when you want to apply to different jobs.

What needs improvement?

SmartRecruiters' on-click application process could be better. When candidates would apply for jobs, they would do it with just a one-click through SmartRecruiters. But we couldn't get all the information that we wanted, the information we would normally get if they were to apply through our internal application system.

After they put in an application, we sent them a short form in an email asking them to complete our full application. That was a little bit of a second step for candidates because they had to do more work.

SmartRecruiter is a stable solution. I didn't have any kind of technical problems at all.

I used ADP Workforce Now and Jobsite before. SmartRecruiters is much more user-friendly. It's much easier for both candidates and recruiters.

The initial set up was very straightforward and very user-friendly. I deployed it in a day, and it was really easy. In fact, when I went to a new company earlier this year, I got it up and running right away, based on my previous experience. It's very easy to use.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone thinking of using SmartRecruiters, I'd say put it up against a few other applicant tracking systems that are really user-friendly, like Greenhouse and Lever, and then see which works best for your organization.

In my experience, it pays not to just use the legacy system that's available at the organization when you come in. Like if you're using ADP Workforce Now and it has that applicant tracking system module, don't just use that because you're paying for the overall system. Go with the one that's going to be the best for both recruiting and your applicants.

If I had the budget, I would have gone with SmartRecruiters as our main applicant tracking system.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give SmartRecruiters an eight.