Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
TanveerBhatti - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at Next Step
The best firewall with easy configuration, excellent support, and good security and protection features
  • "IoT security is most valuable in the current version. Content IDs, DDoS protection, zone protection, and DLP are the most prominent features in Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall. It is easier to configure than other solutions."
  • "People sometimes find it more expensive as compared to other solutions. There are also fewer training opportunities for Palo Alto than Cisco and other vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We shifted an existing network from Cisco to Palo Alto. It was like a branch to head office network.

We have done public and private cloud deployments as well as on-prem deployments. We are using versions 8, 9, and 10.

What is most valuable?

IoT security is most valuable in the current version. Content IDs, DDoS protection, zone protection, and DLP are the most prominent features in Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall. It is easier to configure than other solutions.

What needs improvement?

People sometimes find it more expensive as compared to other solutions. There are also fewer training opportunities for Palo Alto than Cisco and other vendors.

I have been using this solution for the last four or five years.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is working fine.

Its scalability has been fine for our use cases. It is good for large-scale environments, and there are no problems.

Their technical support is excellent.

It is very straightforward. They also have a very good script, so it runs very smoothly.

It is expensive as compared to other brands.

What other advice do I have?

If we are comparing firewalls, this is the best firewall. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Technology Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Stable, very reliable, and easy to use
  • "I have found it to be reliable and very easy to use. I haven't really encountered many problems with it because its documentation is clear and readily available on their website."
  • "Based on the features that I have seen so far, I do not see any room for improvement, but they can improve their CLI documentation. I haven't really seen much when it comes to CLI documentation."

What is our primary use case?

I am currently testing Palo Alto and preparing for an exam.

How has it helped my organization?

The Global Protect Feature has allowed our organization to support our remote workforce.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

They need to provide documentation for CLI, as most of the commands, we get from Community Forums.

I have been doing research on Palo Alto for the past nine months.

It is stable.

Highly scalable as the HA deployment allows you to pair up to eight devices at once.

I haven't had a chance to contact them.

Palo Alto is my first solution.

Initial setup is easy and subsequent changes have been easy to implement as well.

In-house expertise.

What other advice do I have?

I would say go for it because it seems to be stable and very reliable. I've spoken to some specialists who vouch for Palo Alto. They say they've been using it in their environment, and it hasn't let them down so far.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Thameem Ansari - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior solution architect at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Good management options, and we have confidence in the security that it provides
  • "The management options are good."
  • "Technical support could be faster."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as our perimeter firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

We have a lot of confidence in this solution.

What is most valuable?

The management options are good.

What needs improvement?

There are some options available in other firewall products that are not supported, so there is room for improvement in that regard.

Technical support could be faster.

The cost of this firewall could be cheaper.

We have been using the Palo Alto Networks NG Firewall for the past five years.

This is a stable product.

This next-generation firewall solution is scalable. We have more than 500 users and we plan to continue using it.

We have had experience with technical support and it is good, although they could be faster.

Our previous firewall did not have the next-generation capability.

The initial setup is straightforward. A typical installation takes one or two days.

We deployed this product on our own and one person is suitable for the deployment.

This is an expensive product and there is a subscription cost.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I recommend it.

CIO/CTO at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly GUI, reliable, and the application firewall performs well

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to protect our network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the application firewall.

The GUI is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The way that the roles are made, specifically with how you specify the path, could be simpler.

I have been working with Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls for one year.

We used the product on a daily basis and have had no critical issues so far.

We have hundreds of users in the company and have not tried scaling it.

With regards to support, they have a lot of things to improve.

We also use Check Point as a firewall. Both have their advantages but for my part, Palo Alto is better because of the way it handles applications. Check Point is better if you are only using ports and TCP/IP.

The initial setup is of medium difficulty. It is not simple yet not complex.

We implement in-house with some assistance from the vendor. It took a few hours to deploy.

Palo Alto is more affordable than some competing products, such as Check Point.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Head of IT Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Provides a reliable central firewall
  • "Identifying applications is very easy with this solution."
  • "The reports it provides are not helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution as our central firewall, but not as a perimeter firewall. For our perimeter, we use another solution.

Our organization consists of roughly 2,000 to 3,000 employees.

What is most valuable?

Identifying applications is very easy with this solution.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the reporting. The reports it provides are not helpful. They should include more executive summaries and other important information — they're too technical.

I have been using this solution for three years.

The stability is excellent.

The technical support is good, but not excellent. Their responses can be quite vague and unhelpful at times.

We used to use Checkpoint. We stopped using it because the price was too high.

Considering our limited amount of experience, the initial setup was easy. Deployment took one month.

A local reseller team of roughly three to five people implemented it for us — it was a great experience.

We evaluated Palo Alto, Checkpoint, Fortinet, and Cisco Firepower. Overall, it came down to the price — that's why we went with Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is very particular; it's only suited to specific companies — it's a commercial opportunity.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

AnkitMittal - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at Vibs
Stable, good technical support, and there are helpful use case description on the website
  • "The scalability is very good."
  • "This is a difficult product to manage, so the administrator needs to have a good knowledge of it, otherwise, they will not be able to handle it properly."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the firewalls that we implement for our clients.

What needs improvement?

The scalability is very good.

We have a small number of clients with this solution in place.

The support is good.

I have experience with multiple firewall vendors and I have seen that products from other vendors have bugs. My feeling is that Palo Alto does not have this problem.

Some of the vendors that I have worked with are Fortinet and Sophos. The setup and management of these products are easy compared to Palo Alto.

Implementing this product can be a little bit difficult. The configuration is difficult compared to other products, so it would be nice if there were videos are other instructions available. It can be very time consuming for the network administrator.

The pricing is very high.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this firewall is to follow the guide or instructions that are available. There are multiple resources and examples of use cases available on the Palo Alto website, and you can directly follow them.

Jan Hammer - PeerSpot reviewer
Marine Consultant/Captain/Senior DPO at Jan Arild Hammer
The best firewall that is easy to set up and has good flexibility and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control what users may access internally and externally, which covers everything. We are using its latest version. The model that we are using is 3220.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be better. They should also provide some more examples of configurations online.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It is very stable.

We haven't scaled it because if you want to scale it upwards, you have to change the firewall.

I have sometimes used the local support here in Norway. That has been okay. There are no problems.

I have tried Sophos, Cisco, and FortiGate. This is the best firewall.

The initial setup is easy. There is good documentation for this.

Its price can be better. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a ten out of ten. It is the best solution I have tried. I am happy with this solution.

Network Security Engineer
Useful web filtering, responsive technical support, but VPN needs improvement
  • "The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility."
  • "The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for protecting the network organization from threats.

What is most valuable?

The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification.

In the next release of the solution the VPN could improve because it is not as good as competitors.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We have 10 employees using this solution in my organization. We are in the beginning phases of testing and will increase usage if the test phase results are favorable.

The technical support is responsive.

The initial setup was easy.

We are on an annual license for this solution. I am happy with the price and when comparing it to other solutions it is priced competitively.

I have evaluated Sophos firewalls and I found Palo Alto solutions better because of the protection and web filters.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a seven out of ten.

Download our free Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022