IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Humbert Choi - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security Trainee at Macroview Telecom Limited
Reseller
Stable, straightforward to set up, and guards against sophisticated attacks

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the firewall solutions that we implement for our customers. We present this product to customers and also handle the onsite installation. Our clients use it to secure their network infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is WildFire, which blocks sophisticated attacks and distinguishes it from other traditional firewall functions.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better third-party orchestration so that it is easier for the team to work with different products.  Improvements should be made in the Cortex module.

I worked with this next-generation firewall for about four months as I rotated between departments.
Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have had no complaints about stability.

Scalability has not been a problem. Our customers for this firewall are large companies in industries such as banking.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is quite straightforward compared to other brands of firewalls. The deployment takes about one month.

Our in-house team handles the deployment and maintenance for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that it is a useful firewall and high-ranking compared to others. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Jan Hammer - PeerSpot reviewer
Marine Consultant/Captain/Senior DPO at Jan Arild Hammer
The best firewall that is easy to set up and has good flexibility and stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it to control what users may access internally and externally, which covers everything. We are using its latest version. The model that we are using is 3220.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be better. They should also provide some more examples of configurations online.

I have been using this solution for one and a half years.

It is very stable.

We haven't scaled it because if you want to scale it upwards, you have to change the firewall.

I have sometimes used the local support here in Norway. That has been okay. There are no problems.

I have tried Sophos, Cisco, and FortiGate. This is the best firewall.

The initial setup is easy. There is good documentation for this.

Its price can be better. Licensing is on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a ten out of ten. It is the best solution I have tried. I am happy with this solution.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
May 2022
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network Security Engineer
Useful web filtering, responsive technical support, but VPN needs improvement
  • "The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility."
  • "The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for protecting the network organization from threats.

What is most valuable?

The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification.

In the next release of the solution the VPN could improve because it is not as good as competitors.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We have 10 employees using this solution in my organization. We are in the beginning phases of testing and will increase usage if the test phase results are favorable.

The technical support is responsive.

The initial setup was easy.

We are on an annual license for this solution. I am happy with the price and when comparing it to other solutions it is priced competitively.

I have evaluated Sophos firewalls and I found Palo Alto solutions better because of the protection and web filters.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a seven out of ten.

Team Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Plenty of useful features, reliable, but priced high
  • "There are plenty of features available in this solution, such as attack blocker and spam blocker. Additionally, it is very robust and in-depth."
  • "The solution is not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped our organization by protecting the perimeter of our network from both internal and external threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is not straightforward.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is good. We have approximately 500 users using this solution in my company.

The initial setup was complex. The full installation, including customize to meet our requirements, took approximately one month.

We used the help from an integrator team for the implementation.

The technical support is satisfactory.

The price of the solution is on the higher side compared to competitors.

We are currently looking for a better-priced solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution but it is very expensive.

I rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a six out of ten.

ITSM Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reliable with good App-ID, Content-ID, User-ID, and encryption and decryption features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for data center protection, intrasystem security, endpoints protection, load balancing, and DHCP.

What is most valuable?

The App-ID, Content-ID, User-ID, and encryption and decryption are valuable features.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the handling and management of User-ID. They should also improve its price. Their technical support can also be improved.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is stable and reliable.

We went from 4 devices to 16 devices, and it was not a big problem. Currently, we don't have any plans to increase its usage. Our network won't grow over the next two years. It will stay as it is.

Their technical support is sometimes lousy, but sometimes, it is okay. Their technical support can be improved.

Its initial setup is not too complex for an environment like this.

Its price should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls an eight out of ten.

Shrihari Taluri - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Security Engineer at Locuz Enterprise Solutions Ltd
Good IPS/IDS capability and good technical support, but more OTP features are needed

What is our primary use case?

We are using this firewall for security purposes.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the IPS/IDS subscriptions.

The user interface is fine.

What needs improvement?

In the future, I would like to see more OTP features.

The price of this product should be reduced.

We have been using the Palo Alto Next-Generation Firewall for more than two years.

In terms of stability, we have had a very good experience with this product. I would say that it is excellent.

Scalability has not been an issue. It's good.

The technical support from Palo Alto is good.

I was not present for the initial setup and deployment. Prior to that, I was not part of the planning.

What other advice do I have?

My experience with Palo Alto is good and I definitely recommend this product. That said, there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Assistant Manager at Net One Systems
Security is a lot easier than its competitors and it has well-integrated software

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was to configure our PSAs for our customized configuration.

What is most valuable?

I like that it has high security.

What needs improvement?

The whole performance takes a long time. It takes a long time to configure.

I have been using Palo Alto for six years.

I contact Palo Alto by email or by phone. Their support is good.

I have previously worked with Cisco ASA. Palo Alto is a lot easier especially in regards to security. It is a well-integrated software.

The difficulty of the deployment depends on our clients' environment and their requests.

We require a two-member team for support.

In terms of how long it takes to deploy, again, it depends on the customers' environment. If the request is easy, it can take around two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Palo Alto a nine out of ten.

In the next release, they should simplify the deployment process.

Regulatory Specialist at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
A user-friendly next-generation firewall with good support and useful security features.
  • "Operationally, it is easier, and the manageability and their security features are good."
  • "When it comes to their support, we have to select every single component that we want to include in a particular bundle. That is a very tedious process. T"

What is our primary use case?

We use a very basic model with a small installation to secure a small office segment with 50 users.

What is most valuable?

Operationally, it is easier, and the manageability and their security features are good. Vendor support is also good.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to their support, we have to select every single component that we want to include in a particular bundle. That is a very tedious process. The vendor will help us identify the product and the features, but it could be better. The price could also be better.

We have been using Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls for about four years.

Vendor support is good.

Compared to other solutions, it's very expensive to set up and maintain.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that Palo Alto is the best, even compared to Cisco or any other competitor.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a nine.

Download our free Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022