Information Technology Project Manager at JSC "Penkiu kontinentu komunikaciju centras"
Configuration is very simple
  • "The configuration is very simple."
  • "PA-220 Next-Generation Firewall would be perfect if it has spam filtering."

What is our primary use case?

We have several use cases for this solution. They include anti-virus, user identification, two-factor authentication for VPN, and application filtering.

What is most valuable?

The configuration is very simple.

What needs improvement?

An additional feature that should be included in the next release is spam filtering.

I've been using PA-220 Next-Generation Firewall for over a year.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
February 2024
Learn what your peers think about Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2024.
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.

PA-220 Next-Generation Firewall is a stable solution.

We only contacted technical support when we were trying to make a sales configuration for the environment here. We had some integration questions for technical support. Of course, we got the answers we needed. The Palo Alto tech support got back to us quickly.

The price for Palo Alto solutions is very high. It should be a bit lower.

ITSM Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Reliable with good App-ID, Content-ID, User-ID, and encryption and decryption features
  • "The App-ID, Content-ID, User-ID, and encryption and decryption are valuable features."
  • "They can improve the handling and management of User-ID. They should also improve its price. Their technical support can also be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for data center protection, intrasystem security, endpoints protection, load balancing, and DHCP.

What is most valuable?

The App-ID, Content-ID, User-ID, and encryption and decryption are valuable features.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the handling and management of User-ID. They should also improve its price. Their technical support can also be improved.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is stable and reliable.

We went from 4 devices to 16 devices, and it was not a big problem. Currently, we don't have any plans to increase its usage. Our network won't grow over the next two years. It will stay as it is.

Their technical support is sometimes lousy, but sometimes, it is okay. Their technical support can be improved.

Its initial setup is not too complex for an environment like this.

Its price should be improved.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls an eight out of ten.

Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
February 2024
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Presales Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good performance, ease of use, and reliability
  • "In general, its performance and ease of use are the most valuable. Its performance is good, stable, and reliable. The user interface is friendly and easy to use. Customers find it easy to work with and easy to learn."
  • "They can work on the price. They are a little bit expensive, and not all customers are able to afford this solution. Taking into consideration that there is huge competition in the market and there are multiple firewall companies that are much cheaper than them and offer almost the same features, it would be good to improve the price."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system and development company, and we sell this solution and many other solutions to our customers.

We work on all the models, not a specific one. The model depends on the sizing. We also consider future expansion of a customer's environment for deploying a model.

What is most valuable?

In general, its performance and ease of use are the most valuable. Its performance is good, stable, and reliable. The user interface is friendly and easy to use. Customers find it easy to work with and easy to learn.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for three to four years.

It is stable.

It is scalable. They offer multiple platforms, such as hardware appliances as well as virtual appliances. You can deploy as many virtual appliances as you want. Palo Alto supports the latest technologies, such as micro-segmentation, and NSX integration with Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor. They offer multiple options to cover almost every deployment scenario and architecture for most of the customers.

I don't deal with the technical support team because I am a presales person. Our technical support team handles the tickets and open tickets for support.

The initial setup is not that easy. Deployment duration depends on the complexity of the solution, that is, how many firewalls will be installed, and are there any sorts of integrations or any other solution. It also depends if it is just a single box deployment or there is an extra box or two boxes. It might take one week to two weeks depending on the environment, the complexity of the data center, and the complexity of the integration with other technologies. It may take one month or more if the implementation is huge, and there are multiple boxes to be implemented and to be integrated with other solutions.

It is a little bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on a customer's requirements. I sell solutions from a lot of firewall vendors. I have the flexibility to recommend based on the budget of a project. I would recommend Palo Alto or any other vendor if the environment and all the conditions are available and suitable for that deployment. A lot of times, we make POC or proof of concepts to show the customer the value of the products and how to deal with them to convince them to buy it.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls an eight out of ten.

Team Leader at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Plenty of useful features, reliable, but priced high
  • "There are plenty of features available in this solution, such as attack blocker and spam blocker. Additionally, it is very robust and in-depth."
  • "The solution is not straightforward."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to protect our network.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped our organization by protecting the perimeter of our network from both internal and external threats.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution is not straightforward.

I have been using this solution for approximately eight years.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is good. We have approximately 500 users using this solution in my company.

The initial setup was complex. The full installation, including customize to meet our requirements, took approximately one month.

We used the help from an integrator team for the implementation.

The technical support is satisfactory.

The price of the solution is on the higher side compared to competitors.

We are currently looking for a better-priced solution.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution but it is very expensive.

I rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a six out of ten.

Lead Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good security, integrates well with third-party services, includes DLP, and the support is good
  • "They are regularly releasing new versions that include more integration with third-party services."
  • "Having a better pricing model would make this product more competitive, and more affordable for our customers."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and one of the Palo Alto products that we implement for our clients is the Next-Generation Firewall. It is used to protect your workflows in cloud environments, be it Azure, AWS, or Google. It can also protect your applications' databases that are on-premises.

What is most valuable?

This firewall will scan the network for vulnerabilities and malware.

It can prevent unauthorized access to the network.

This solution has a DLP function.

They are regularly releasing new versions that include more integration with third-party services. Examples of services that have already been integrated are Splunk and two-factor authentication.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with next-generation firewalls from Palo Alto for more than five years.

So far, this solution has been stable.

The product is scalable and it can be integrated with third-party solutions.

We have many clients who are using this firewall.

The technical support from Palo Alto is good.

In terms of firewalls, we use Palo Alto, Cisco, and Fortinet FortiGate.

The next-generation firewall can be installed either on-premises or in a cloud-based deployment.

The NG firewall is an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Network Security Engineer
Useful web filtering, responsive technical support, but VPN needs improvement
  • "The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility."
  • "The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for protecting the network organization from threats.

What is most valuable?

The best features of this solution are URL filtering and traffic visibility.

What needs improvement?

The areas that need to improve are network protection and user identification.

In the next release of the solution the VPN could improve because it is not as good as competitors.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

This solution is stable and reliable.

We have 10 employees using this solution in my organization. We are in the beginning phases of testing and will increase usage if the test phase results are favorable.

The technical support is responsive.

The initial setup was easy.

We are on an annual license for this solution. I am happy with the price and when comparing it to other solutions it is priced competitively.

I have evaluated Sophos firewalls and I found Palo Alto solutions better because of the protection and web filters.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a seven out of ten.

Cloud Security Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A very reliable, scalable, and solid product with very good support
  • "URL filtering and WildFire features are most valuable. It is very user-friendly. It is a very solid product, and it definitely works."
  • "In the cloud, the HA could be a lot better. Its price could also be better. It is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We've put it in hospitals and very large private and government businesses. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is a very solid product, and it definitely works.

What needs improvement?

In the cloud, the HA could be a lot better.

Its price could also be better. It is very expensive.

I have been using this solution for about seven years.

It is very reliable.

Its scalability is very good. We have hundreds of customers.

Their support is very good.

It was pretty straightforward.

It is very expensive. You pay for a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer & Security Specialist at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
A user-friendly solution with useful application control, IPS, and sandboxing features
  • "Application control, IPS, and sandboxing towards the cloud are the most valuable features. It is a very user-friendly product with a very easy-to-use interface."
  • "Its stability can be better. Their technical response from the support side can also be better."

What is our primary use case?

It protects from any unwanted traffic or any kind of attack toward your LAN. It just minimizes the risk. It does not completely eradicate the risk.

We have the latest version of this solution.

What is most valuable?

Application control, IPS, and sandboxing towards the cloud are the most valuable features. It is a very user-friendly product with a very easy-to-use interface.

What needs improvement?

Its stability can be better. Their technical response from the support side can also be better.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

It is stable, but its stability can be better.

If you got the product for 100 users and the company has grown to 500 people, this product will not be scalable. You will need another hardware that has more resources.

Their technical support is very good, but their technical response can be better. You might face some difficulties due to COVID, but they have been very good most of the time. It also depends on the region from where you are calling.

It is very much straightforward. It is a friendly product, but one should have basic knowledge of networking and security.

The deployment duration and the number of people required vary based on the requirements. A security product doesn't work in a way where you just install it, and it starts functioning. You need to keep improvising and updating it. It is an ongoing process for all security products.

You pay based on the kind of license you require, but comparatively, it is not very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. If you have internet, you should definitely have a firewall in your network. When you're exposed to the internet, you're exposed to risks. You definitely need a next-generation firewall in corporate networks.

I would rate Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls an eight out of ten.

Download our free Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: February 2024