SaurabhKumar2 - PeerSpot reviewer
Market Research Analyst at a performing arts with 10,001+ employees
MSP
A multi-cloud API management platform with good performance and support
  • "I like the support they provide for the APIs more than the solution itself. First of all, documentation-wise, both Microsoft Azure and even Google Cloud are up there. But in comparison, the real-time consulting and support for APIs make Microsoft stand out a little. I also like the performance. Standard public cloud provider-built APIs are more resilient and flexible in terms of what feature you want to use and what feature you don't want to use, and they're more customizable. They are more resilient in terms of performance in that particular environment because that is the design aspect of the offering. When public clouds build APIs and deploy them after testing them on their framework for a certain amount of time, I feel there is a massive difference in the product's performance. On the interface, everything is strong."
  • "Specific to API development, I think Microsoft is still far behind AWS. AWS has grown by leaps and bounds, and Microsoft is a close second. But in terms of features and other stuff they provide, Microsoft's compatibility with publicly available APIs is a little limited. So, that is a little bit of a constraint. But what they provide is good, it's just that they need to build more on their API suite. I think Google is doing a really good job at that."

What is our primary use case?

One of our applications went live a month ago, and it uses the whole suite of Microsoft APIs.

What is most valuable?

I like the support they provide for the APIs more than the solution itself. First of all, documentation-wise, both Microsoft Azure and even Google Cloud are up there. But in comparison, the real-time consulting and support for APIs make Microsoft stand out a little.

I also like the performance. Standard public cloud provider-built APIs are more resilient and flexible in terms of what feature you want to use and what feature you don't want to use, and they're more customizable. They are more resilient in terms of performance in that particular environment because that is the design aspect of the offering.

When public clouds build APIs and deploy them after testing them on their framework for a certain amount of time, I feel there is a massive difference in the product's performance. On the interface, everything is strong.

What needs improvement?

Specific to API development, I think Microsoft is still far behind AWS. AWS has grown by leaps and bounds, and Microsoft is a close second. But in terms of features and other stuff they provide, Microsoft's compatibility with publicly available APIs is a little limited. So, that is a little bit of a constraint. But what they provide is good, it's just that they need to build more on their API suite. I think Google is doing a really good job at that.

We have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for at least a year.

Microsoft Azure API Management
November 2023
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure API Management. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2023.
744,865 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Microsoft Azure API Management is stable.

Microsoft Azure API Management's scalability is pretty good. At present, we have around 10,000 to 15,000 users. We are also evaluating the application, and we should grow in the cloud rapidly from now on.

Microsoft's support stands out. They provide good support in terms of consulting and operation support for their API. So, that is very helpful. Microsoft sometimes looks at the size of the customer, the way they are involved, and the size of the environment. They are also willing to go beyond periodically to consult on the best way to do stuff.

On a scale from one to five, I would give Microsoft technical support a four.

Positive

The initial setup wasn't entirely straightforward or altogether complex. It was somewhere in the middle.

On a scale from one to five, I would give the initial setup of Microsoft Azure API Management a three. For me, AWS is two, and Microsoft is three.

We did the deployment in-house, working directly with Microsoft.

Because of our partner relationship, our pricing is pretty decent. But in general, if I compare pricing, I think the initial offer that we got from Microsoft until the relationship kicked in was more expensive than AWS.

There were some unexpected expenses because we had to pause. This was due to our inexperience and because we were doing this significant public cloud migration for the first time. We were using SAP on a public cloud for the first time.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Azure API Management an eight.

Dmitri Efimov - PeerSpot reviewer
Integration Architect at MiBanco
Reliable, easy to set up, and efficient
  • "We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company."
  • "One of the most important improvements for us would be if it supported the HTTP/3 version and new protocol over a quick connection."

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use it for the front application, like the mobile banking application or some other service stuff. We found that it's easier to maintain these internet connections and so on, on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In general, we started with Microsoft Azure Cloud as we needed a close integration with our internal or Office solution. In case of Microsoft, Azure Active Directory is easily integrated within the Microsoft platform, including Office. In particular, in API Management, used as front-end APIs, it's easy to manage. Now, we are looking ahead to the hosted solution, which is very nice.

We use Microsoft due to the stability of the company.

It's efficient enough and it's just enough for our needs to manage rules and so aforth for API management. We use it due to Microsoft's reputation. We need a stable provider. We cannot play with some providers.

It is easy to set up.

The solution is scalable. It is stable as a product as well.

What needs improvement?

It's okay. It's not as good as Google. For instance, in Apigee, in Google.

One of the most important improvements for us would be if it supported the HTTP/3 version and new protocol over a quick connection. It's a relatively new standard since 2020.

I've used the solution for about three years.

It is a stable product. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash. The performance is good.

While it is scalable, there is some costs involved with expanding.

We have about 100 people using the solution at the company in terms of deployment. In terms of clients using the solution, that's in the millions.

We have a premium subscription. We have a local company, a local Microsoft office. We do not have a problem with the support from Microsoft.

We used a CA solution before, and CA was sold to Broadcom and everything changed, politics and so and so. We had to disable CA platform due to the provider. We believe the same issues will not happen to Microsoft.

The initial setup is very easy. It's not complex at all.

There is a special group that is  responsible for the support and implementation of the platform.

I'm aware of Google, or Apigee, and it's quite a robust product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user.

It is a subscription service. It's definitely not on-premises in our organization. We do have our core system on-premises, of course.

I would recommend the solution. People have to first understand the different types of subscriptions, however. There are four of them, developer, and intermediates, and then premium, and it's costly. That said, it's not that expensive. It's a very technical piece of software. I can say it's stable and it satisfies our needs. It's just a bit complex.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure API Management
November 2023
744,865 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Operations Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good for API management, with a decent basic tier and works well for companies with a Microsoft stack
  • "The price is pretty reasonable for us."
  • "The licensing tiers can be misleading."

What is most valuable?

The basic tier is pretty good.

It's publicly available API Management.

The price is pretty reasonable for us.

What needs improvement?

We need better integration with VNet.

It would be nice to not only configure it through the interface but also with an ARM template or something like that. Maybe it's possible, but it's not that easy to find.

It took us time to get used to the interface. Now that we run it, it's a little bit hard to have a testing environment and the production environment and keep it synced. If you can do that through a script, that would be far easier. However, there was a time thing on our side. We couldn't get it done, and in the end, we just set it up manually.

The licensing tiers can be misleading.

It would be ideal if there was a way to add monetization into the mix so that we could more easily sell our APIs.

I started using the solution about three years ago, and I use it now and again on a few projects.

We didn't have a previous solution.

I wasn't directly involved with the implementation, and I'm not sure how long it took to deploy the product.

Some of my colleagues implemented the solution. We did it ourselves using the documentation provided by Microsoft.

We are using a basic tier.

For the things we do, it's reasonable in terms of cost. You can implement it in the developer solutions. That's basically more or less free. But if you implement VNET in it there, you can only upgrade it if you use premium, and premium is so expensive. That's just no fun. That was a little bit annoying since you think you have a good solution in your development environment, and then you are in production and need a premium tier to have the same configuration. We had to reconfigure some stuff.

We also looked at Apigee, and Apigee has some integrated features, however, Apigee was very complex to get started with. Apart from that, we are a Microsoft company, and we're on the Microsoft stack. It was more logical to keep everything in Azure. That's why we chose Azure API Management.

What other advice do I have?

We use Azure and it suits our case pretty well. It could be better, but we might also have to learn more. Currently, I would rate it at an eight out of ten for our use case. We might also want to use it in the future to sell subscriptions, which is not possible out of the box. You can configure subscriptions, yet you still have to do the whole selling and measuring and things like that. That's not fully integrated.

Reetesh  Sahay - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Project Manager at MindTree
A hybrid, multicloud management platform for Epics and Functions with a useful DevOps integration
  • "Microsoft Azure API Management is better because it has a DevOps integration by default."
  • "It would be better if it were easier to transition to Azure from JIRA. For example, different nomenclature must be performed when you shift to Azure from JIRA. JIRA's storage, tasks, and ethics are treated differently from Azure. Here they might become functions, which is not an option in JIRA because that nomenclature difference is there. If someone has to get into the nomenclature, then there can be different tasks from clients, and here, they may be treated as functions. JIRA has sub-tasks, but sub-tasks don't exist in Azure. The nomenclature and the linking between ethics and a function and a story are different, and people may have to learn to adapt to the new nomenclature."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for Epics, Story and Function Management for Products and Accelerator Development, Deployment and Operations Management.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a One Place solution for the majority of needs in an IT and Software development environment.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft Azure API Management is better because it has a DevOps integration by default.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if it were easier to transition to Azure from JIRA. For example, there are different nomenclature that must be addressed when you shift to Azure from JIRA. JIRA's storage, tasks, and epics are treated differently from Azure.

JIRA has sub-tasks, but sub-tasks don't exist in Azure. The nomenclature and the linking between Epics and a function and a story are different, and people may have to learn to adapt to the new nomenclature.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Project Management for about Two and a half years.

Microsoft Azure API Management is pretty stable. We are Microsoft gold partners, so we have not faced any issues until now.

Microsoft Azure API Management is scalable. The Microsoft platform supports my organization, which is 35,000 employees strong.

Technical support is pretty good.

We were using JIRA which can be enhanced by using third-party tools, this is a costly business so we shifted to the Microsoft platform, which was integrated for development as well as management. So that's a better way of doing things.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was an organization-wide integration, so we have never faced any issues.

It's free for less than ten users. If you want to go beyond that, its paid. But when you use all features of Azure its a very cost effective solution.

Costs depend on the size, complexity, usage, and what facility you want to integrate. So, we use Microsoft Azure and have the entire DevOps and Visual Studio on the cloud. We get all enterprise flavor with very optimum cost, when compared to multivendor environment.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users to go for it. It's a good platform. Even though the ecosystem may not be that strong, it's a better option for a software development company. You can explore other options to save some bucks if you are not into software development. However, for an IT company, Microsoft Azure is the better option.

MADHAV CHABLANI - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Information Officer at Tippingedge
API management platform which offers scalability, stability, and easy integration
  • "Easy to integrate API management platform. It is a stable and scalable solution."
  • "Performance issues from this platform need to be sorted out."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry, so all the applications which are related to one hospital, it binds to Microsoft Azure API Management, and this is our use case for it.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration function of Microsoft Azure API Management. Integration of this solution is easy.

What needs improvement?

There's some area for improvement for this solution's performance. Sometimes it can be challenging. We're working with design patents and we're hoping to see the performance issues sorted out.

We've been working with Microsoft Azure API Management for a year now.

Microsoft Azure API Management is a stable product, but we have not been able to test it yet on a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is scalable. There are no issues with its scalability.

Microsoft has a good technical support team. They are very helpful.

Integration of this solution is easy. I won't call it an initial setup. It's an integration.

I was able to work with Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

We used Microsoft Azure API Management only in the Microsoft environment, but not in a multi-cloud environment.

Microsoft Azure API Management is cloud-based, in particular, it is a single cloud centered around Microsoft components and not on the Cross components.

I have no idea on how long it took to implement Microsoft Azure API Management. The testing and development team is the best resource on how long it took.

The number of users of this solution in the group I'm associated with is 300,000. Increasing the number of users will depend on the mergers and acquisitions, and how the group is doing.

For maintenance, we have a backend support team that handles application support. The major point is that if the API has a lot of issues, particularly in data silos, Microsoft Azure API Management has made it more convenient to manage those.

We're still trying and testing the integration function of this solution, and we're also trying to go deeper into its performance.

My rating for Microsoft Azure API Management is a nine out of ten.

I don't have any variance data with Apigee. Apigee is better than Microsoft. I have more numbers for Apigee compared to Microsoft.

SooryanarayanHegde - PeerSpot reviewer
Azure Technical Architect Consultant at Tata Consultancy
Reseller
Scales well, easy configuration, and quality support
  • "The most valuable features of Microsoft Azure API Management are the easy configuration and deployment with automation."
  • "There is a limitation of 32 kb of data in the APIs. Having the limitation increase would be a benefit."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure API Management to host APIs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Microsoft Azure API Management are the easy configuration and deployment with automation.

What needs improvement?

There is a limitation of 32 kb of data in the APIs. Having the limitation increase would be a benefit.

I have been using Microsoft Azure API Management for approximately four years.

This is the best service we have used within Azure and it has high availability.

I rate the stability of Microsoft Azure API Management a ten out of ten.

The scalability of Microsoft Azure API Management is great. We only have some issues with the high costs.

We have approximately 100 people using the solution.

I rate the scalability of Microsoft Azure API Management a ten out of ten.

We have a dedicated team that supports us from Microsoft. It is excellent.

I rate the support from Microsoft Azure API Management a ten out of ten.

Positive

I have not used other similar solutions.

The initial setup of Microsoft Azure API Management is straightforward. However, we had an issue with the DSTV upgrade. It has its own logic of what to decide.

The full implementation process of the solution takes time, approximately six hours.

To deploy Microsoft Azure API Management, we utilize TerraForm to incorporate modules that cover all departments. These modules have already been created, so we simply provide the necessary parameters and execute the pipeline. Consequently, we do not rely on the Azure portal for this process and instead rely solely on Azure automation.

I rate the initial setup of Microsoft Azure API Management a nine out of ten.

The solution is highly expensive. Our customers worry about the costs. The price should be a lot less.

We are using the premium license.

I rate the price of Microsoft Azure API Management a seven out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

The solution has provided us with a great overall solution in many areas, such as security, deployment, and integrations.

I rate Microsoft Azure API Management a nine out of ten.

Solutions Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Good API management with out of the box functionality and good support
  • "The API management is great."
  • "I'd like to have better flexibility and more capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case is if you want to be exposed to an external endpoint. We use it for access. It can only be used by Azure API.

How has it helped my organization?

If I want to expose API endpoints to clients, we use this solution.

What is most valuable?

The API management is great. It comes out of the box ready to go and comes with policies.

It is stable.

Technical support is good.

We have witnessed an ROI.

What needs improvement?

We have to put the logs in Datadog. We need to use some other product to do all of the things we want. That costs extra. However, there are other solutions, like Dynatrace, that offer more features and have more functionalities. Right now, we have to use logic apps. You need more third-party apps to fill in the gaps.

If I want to connect to other apps to Saleforce or Snowflake, et cetera, I need a quicker way to do mapping and to integrate everything together.

I need to have microservice access.

I'd like to have better flexibility and more capabilities.

I've been using the solution for three to four years.

I'd rate the stability seven or eight out of ten. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches.

We do not scale the solution. We don't need multi-tenancy or anything like that. Our understanding is that if we did need to scale it would cost more.

Technical support is very good and is available around the clock.

Positive

I'm familiar with a variety of other solutions, including Mulesoft.

I have witnessed an ROI while using the solution.

The pricing is expensive, however, it does offer great value. I'd rate the solution seven or eight out of ten in terms of value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not sure which version of the solution I'm using.

The product covers all of the basic needs you will need. If you need more robust options, Mulesoft might be a good option. However, this is a pretty good tool

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with good policies but lacks in-depth documentation
  • "The solution is reliable and very stable."
  • "Technical support could be more helpful and responsive."

What is our primary use case?

I work with an enterprise and they needed to manage lots of APIs. They needed to manage information and they use this product to meet their needs.

What is most valuable?

The policies on offer are the most valuable aspect of the solution.

The solution is reliable and very stable.

What needs improvement?

I don't really have anything in mind at the moment in terms of areas of improvement. It does what we need it to do for the most part.

Technical support could be more helpful and responsive. They are quite slow.

The documentation around the solution is lacking. Users will need to do a lot of digging and googling in order to get the answers they need.

The premium version is very expensive.

I've been using the solution for about two years now. It hasn't been too long at this point.

The solution was stable. We didn't have issues with bugs or glitches. It didn't crash or freeze. it was pretty reliable and the performance was pretty good.

Technical support was a bit slow, actually. We did engage technical support once or twice and it took quite a bit of time for them to come back to us. By the time they'd come back, we'd kind of solved the problem ourselves. They weren't overly helpful.

I'm just a developer, so I didn't really get involved in the pricing. Therefore, I can't speak to the exact costs of the agreements involved in terms of licensing. That said, I do know that we used the developer license just to try things out. My understanding is that the premium version is quite expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user. My company does not have a special business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

While technical support and documentation are lacking, I would still recommend the product to others.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: customer
Download our free Microsoft Azure API Management Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2023