We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Stable with a straightforward setup and good performance
  • "The hardware is reliable."
  • "The solution should work to be more scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for our own servers. Basically, we use it for anything we need to have it for, including our servers, our appliances, and virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution has excellent management capabilities. The iLO is very good. It's got excellent stability and provides a solid performance.

The hardware is reliable.

To deploy one server takes less than a day. You don't need too many engineers.

What needs improvement?

The solution should work to be more scalable.

The pricing of the product needs to be better. Right now, it's quite costly.

I've been using the solution for five or six years at this point. It's been a good amount of time.

The scalability varies. However, you need to buy the size, and then you are stuck up to that level for the most part. Gen8 I wouldn't describe as scalable at all as you can't get Sparx for it. The solution is changing, however. Maybe in a few years, you will be able to. However, in general, the scalability is lacking.

We have 50,000 users and they all, in one way or another, use the servers.

We plan to continue to use the solution until its end-of-life.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward.

To install one server, it takes less than a day. Most of the time there aren't any issues.

You don't need too many people to deploy the product, however, it depends on how many servers you are setting up. For a few servers, you need few engineers and no more than that.

We installed the solution ourselves. We did not need a consultant or implementor to assist us. It was handled in-house.

The hardware is expensive. It needs to be cheaper. If they could work on that a bit, it would be very helpful to customers.

What other advice do I have?

We use a mix of versions, mostly Gen8 and Gen10.

We've been quite satisfied with the solution overall. It's good hardware. I'd recommend it to organizations that mostly would be using Dell or HP servers.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at an eight. We've been quite satisfied with the level of performance we get, and their general stability.

Director of Information Services at a import and exporter with 51-200 employees
Good support for desktop video conferencing, good performance, and fantastic support
  • "The GPU units, processor speed, and capabilities are most valuable. Desktop video conferencing is also valuable. It supports desktop video conferencing much better for graphics."
  • "They should work with Microsoft to make licensing costs better. That's because the physical servers have processors with all these cores, and Microsoft now licenses Windows virtual server desktops based on the number of cores and the serving servers. So, if you got to build 10 or 20 servers on that desktop, you got to license them all with Microsoft. They should have a partnership with Microsoft to decrease the virtual licensing of servers in partnerships so that when you purchase the servers, you also get licensing for Microsoft on top of them. That's because it gets very expensive to license virtual operating systems to run on physical servers."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for serving the VMware environment and creating all of our virtual servers and desktops.

What is most valuable?

The GPU units, processor speed, and capabilities are most valuable. Desktop video conferencing is also valuable. It supports desktop video conferencing much better for graphics.

What needs improvement?

They should work with Microsoft to make licensing costs better. That's because the physical servers have processors with all these cores, and Microsoft now licenses Windows virtual server desktops based on the number of cores and the serving servers. So, if you got to build 10 or 20 servers on that desktop, you got to license them all with Microsoft. They should have a partnership with Microsoft to decrease the virtual licensing of servers in partnerships so that when you purchase the servers, you also get licensing for Microsoft on top of them. That's because it gets very expensive to license virtual operating systems to run on physical servers.

I have been using this solution for 10 years, but these are refreshed. So, they're new. We have hardly used them.

It is solid. We didn't face any issues.

Its scalability is great. We have 150 users, and it is being used heavily. We are taking every bit of life out of it we can. We don't have any plans to increase its usage.

Their technical support is great. It is fantastic.

We have only used HPE.

It is easy. Getting them up and running is a piece of cake, but getting the VMware environment operation on them is very complicated.

It has been a couple of months so far, and we're still working on it.

We are implementing it in-house. We are growing that skill internally. I got a rockstar guy doing all that. I don't do it on my own.

For its maintenance, we have one network administrator.

They need to work with Microsoft to make the licensing costs better and more efficient.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product. I would rate it a nine out of 10 because it has good support and good performance.

Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Team Leader Presales at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Simple to manage, quick hardware replacements, and knowledgeable support
  • "HPE ProLiant DL Servers are easy to maintain. When we need to update the firmware or we need to log on remotely via the IO management interface. It's very convenient, easy. The supply chain is fast when we need to replace some failed hardware, such as hard drives or power supplies. Most of the time, it only takes a few days. The HPE ProLiant DL Servers services are officially certified for Red Hat usage which is a big advantage."
  • "The solution could improve by providing more best practices from an architectural point of view. What are some recommended configurations for use, such as in a VM environment? HP provides some best practices but they are based on VMware, not on Red Hat. It would benefit for others to see the different use cases. How the HPE ProLiant DL Servers were used in the context of Red hat virtualization, and some configurations as an example to allow us to identify some points that we can improve in our platform. We could make our system more reliable and scalable."

What is most valuable?

HPE ProLiant DL Servers are easy to maintain. When we need to update the firmware or we need to log on remotely via the IO management interface. It's very convenient, easy. The supply chain is fast when we need to replace some failed hardware, such as hard drives or power supplies. Most of the time, it only takes a few days. The HPE ProLiant DL Servers services are officially certified for Red Hat usage which is a big advantage.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing more best practices from an architectural point of view. What are some recommended configurations for use, such as in a VM environment? HP provides some best practices but they are based on VMware, not on Red Hat. It would benefit for others to see the different use cases. How the HPE ProLiant DL Servers were used in the context of Red hat virtualization, and some configurations as an example to allow us to identify some points that we can improve in our platform. We could make our system more reliable and scalable.

I have been using HPE ProLiant DL Servers for approximately three years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability is good, but it depends on the virtualization software that is used. It does not only depend on the hardware.

All of our employees use this solution because all of our infrastructures are on HPE ProLiant DL Servers.

We open support tickets when needed with HP. They answer pretty fast and the HP engineers are knowledgeable. The agents answer specifically to our needs and we don't have any issue with them.

The solution is web-based making the installation straightforward.

The time it takes for the full implementation depends on the project. The time can vary if it is a small, medium, or large project. This time could also vary between the specific platform that we need to build. The time it takes is typically between three to four weeks.

We did the implementation ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.

Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
State-of-the-art, easy to use, stable, and has good performance
  • "This solution is perfect. From the time of purchase, it was state-of-the-art, and still, after five, 10 years, they still meet our demands extremely well."
  • "The installation could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators in a fiber optics company. We use this solution mainly as high computational devices, but also we use it as a storage device.

The deployment is data center-based.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use and it also has good performance.

What needs improvement?

The latest generation has made good improvements in power consumption. G6, and G7, which is approximately 10-year-old technology, have some issues with power consumption.

The installation could be simplified.

I would also like to pay less for the out-of-the-box product, but everything else is okay.

I have been working with HPE ProLiant DL Servers for ten years.

We are using generations six to nine. G6, G7, G8, and G9.

The stability of this product is very good.

We deployed it in our network, and our network is the backbone of the company. Through our backbone, we serve millions of end users, but indirect users are internet service providers that use our services, which is approximately 50.

I have never contacted technical support because everything worked perfectly.

The installation is reasonably complex.

The length of time it takes to deploy depends on the software that we are installing, but it can take a couple of days, approximately.

We have two engineers and one technician to maintain it.

We had the help of a system integrator.

The iLO (integrated lights out) license is very expensive, but the functionality you receive is worth it.

What other advice do I have?

We are fully satisfied with this solution and I recommend it for others who are interested in using it.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a 10 out of 10.

Assistant Manager at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
iLO feature and technical support are very good

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of HPE ProLiant DL Servers is virtualization. We also host three servers on it: our active directory, file server, and web server.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is iLO, which is very good. Another thing is the HPE support is very good.

We have been using this solution for two and a half years.

This solution is stable, and we use it daily.

HPE ProLiant is scalable.  In our organization, we have 100 users of this solution. We are using it for our entire data center.

The technical support is very good.…

What is most valuable?

We have been using this solution for two and a half years.

This solution is stable, and we use it daily.

HPE ProLiant is scalable.

The technical support is very good. For the initial level, they provided me very good support for the installation of the servers and all the things after that. Somehow one hard disk crashed, so we logged a call at HPE and an engineer came the next day to replace the hard drive and explain how to prevent this type of issue. So, we have been a customer of HPE for more than 10 years.

The initial setup is a little bit complicated, but after that, it's very easy to deploy the server.

We had a third-party vendor help us with deployment.

We have seen a ROI. We have improved because there is an entire platform moved on virtualization. Also, there is good support of HPE, so we have minimized our data center downtime 0.1%.

This was a one-time purchase for us because it's hardware that we purchased from HPE. There aren't any licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this product a nine out of ten. To those considering implementation, I would advise them to calculate their commercial as well as their data load and user load. After that, you can choose a solution from HPE.

Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Fast backup speeds, easy to learn, and simple installation
  • "The speed of the backups and having the system be immune to ransomware are the main advantages."
  • "When it comes to security there can always be room for improvement. If there was an option to build security into the system it would be an advantage."

What is our primary use case?

Our customers are having additional VMware environments which we are converting into one because of the backup advantage. We can do the complete backup of VM within approximately eight to ten seconds.

What is most valuable?

The speed of the backups and having the system be immune to ransomware are the main advantages. Additionally, It is very user-friendly, repairable, flexible, and anybody can easily learn it.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by providing local support here in Sri Lanka, we do not have a local office.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 500 customers using this solution.

The support structure from HPE is excellent. When comparing the support to Dell and Huawei, they cannot match the level of support HPE provides. I have experienced great response times and the engineers are very talented with precise information. When they give a solution to a problem we do not have to question if it will resolve the issue.

HPE frequently checks its competitors' capabilities to ensure they deliver the best service. This is something valuable this is why they are one of the best.

The installation is easy. The hardware installation takes approximately 20 minutes and the Windows installation takes another 20 minutes.

We have support engineers for the maintenance and implementation of the solution.

HPE ProLiant DL Servers are one of the best-selling solutions in this industry. There is not a license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a nine out of ten.

Telecommunication Department Head at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good support, easy to set up, we haven't had downtime in three years, and it's within our budget

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this product is our electronic faxing system. We have a number of applications that are hosted on it, working together.

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be a little faster.

We have been using HPE ProLiant DL Servers for three years. We started using the most recent version, Gen10, a year ago.

We have had our system working for between two and three years with no downtime. We plan to continue using it in the future.

We have about 300 end-users who log into the system to use our applications. We have to extend our electronic access system for our sites, and we…

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

The technical support could be a little faster.

We have about 300 end-users who log into the system to use our applications.

We have to extend our electronic access system for our sites, and we will be purchasing another ProLiant.

There is another team in our company who deals with technical support, and they have a lot of experience with the product. I can say that the support is very good, although it would be better if it were quicker.

We also have a similar solution by Dell, and I find that the ProLiant support is much better.

The initial setup is very easy. The ProLiant was complete, and we just had to plug it into power and check the hardware. We did not have to put in new parts, such as additional hard disks. They are made to order.

We have four or five engineers for maintenance.

This product is within our budget.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good product and I can recommend it to others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Product Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Very stable, 100% scalable, and easy to deploy
  • "It is very stable. This is the feedback that I'm getting from my customers for the hardware. It is also 100% scalable. HPE is also very specialized when it comes up to the server industry. It is not only about the rack servers; it is also about the blade servers. They were the first ones to bring these to the market more than ten years ago."
  • "It has something called WorldView. They should do some enhancement over WorldView to run an operating system as a code. Such a feature would be amazing for running multiple servers. They are already working on this, and they can enhance the existing versions for this. It should also be cheaper. It is currently expensive."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly an x86 Intel server. There are some versions of AMD processors as well. You can use it for many purposes. You can use it as a web server, a backup server, a database server, or an application server. You can use it for any main purpose for which you need a server.

It is mainly on-premises, but you can also deploy it in a cloud.

What is most valuable?

It is very stable. This is the feedback that I'm getting from my customers for the hardware. It is also 100% scalable.

HPE is also very specialized when it comes up to the server industry. It is not only about the rack servers; it is also about the blade servers. They were the first ones to bring these to the market more than ten years ago.

What needs improvement?

It has something called WorldView. They should do some enhancement over WorldView to run an operating system as a code. Such a feature would be amazing for running multiple servers. They are already working on this, and they can enhance the existing versions for this.

It should also be cheaper. It is currently expensive.

I have been selling this solution for almost six years.

It is very stable.

It is 100% scalable. We have about a hundred customers.

I don't directly get in touch with them, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

The initial setup is not complicated for HPE or any other server.

It is expensive. Its price should be better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.