We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Rapid technical support, feature-rich, and easy to install

What is our primary use case?

We are using these servers as cluster nodes. We are running VM with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This product is feature-rich and is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, there are connectivity issues and the server is not able to connect to our SAN. One example is when we reboot from SAN storage, we face issues such as not being able to detect the SAN port. After we installed two new physical hard disks, that issue went away. It should be more stable.

We have been using the ProLiant DL Servers for the past four years.

What is our primary use case?

We are using these servers as cluster nodes. We are running VM with Hyper-V.

What is most valuable?

This product is feature-rich and is easy to install.

What needs improvement?

We have been using the ProLiant DL Servers for the past four years.

These servers are stable, although sometimes there are connectivity issues. We do plan to continue using them in the future.

This is a scalable product. We have a five-node cluster with close to 3,500 users using different applications.

Technical support is rapid and very good. They take our calls immediately and resolve issues within four to five hours. The last time we had an issue, it was resolved immediately.

The initial setup is straightforward and easy. It will take about an hour to deploy, from scratch.

We deployed this product ourselves.

We have a data center team and a NOC team, with seven people who are managing these servers.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Information Technology System Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Good stability, easy management, and meets our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our needs. We use it for our servers, appliances, and virtualization. We have Gen8 and Gen10 models.

What is most valuable?

Its management, IOs, and stability are the most valuable features. It works fine.  It has all the features of a typical server. All that can be done has already been done.

What needs improvement?

The scalability of Gen8 models should be improved. They can also improve its price.

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It is very stable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for five or six years.

It is very stable.

Gen8 models are not as scalable as Gen10. You can't get parts for Gen8, but you can get parts for Gen10.

We have about 2,000 users, and they all use these servers.

It is fairly decent. It is straightforward most of the time. It takes less than a day for a server.

We installed them ourselves. The number of people required depends on how many servers you are deploying.

The hardware should be cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

HPE servers are pretty decent. We will definitely keep using them until their end of life. I am quite satisfied with this solution.

I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Executive Director at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good reliability, scalability, and after-sales support

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. We use it for payment solutions and for the switch. It is currently deployed on-premises, but we are moving to a private cloud because our requirements have really grown over the years.

What is most valuable?

Its reliability and after-sales support are very good.

What needs improvement?

It is too expensive. Its price should be improved. The system admin interface should have better visibility while troubleshooting a problem, even when the problem is coming from the application.

I have been working with this solution for 20 years.

It is very stable. That's why we have so many of them.

What do I think about the

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Its reliability and after-sales support are very good.

What needs improvement?

It is too expensive. Its price should be improved.

I have been working with this solution for 20 years.

It is very stable. That's why we have so many of them.

It is very scalable. We are able to add memory and storage. My company supports all the banks in Nigeria, and they use this solution.

We have very good local support in Nigeria. They're very good. We don't have any problems.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It is just too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to get the technical training for this solution. They would then enjoy this solution very well.

I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a nine out of ten.

Senior Support Executive at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A stable solution with integrated alerts
  • "The feature that I find the most valuable is that all alerts are integrated with HPE InfoSight. Any problem related to an HPE server can be solved remotely at L1, L2 level."
  • "They can increase the controller cache. Currently, it has a controller cache of up to 4 GB. The RAID controller card comes with a maximum of 4 GB cache in HPE servers, whereas it comes with a maximum of 8 GB cache in Dell servers. They can also improve the port size. HP provides a 25 GB port on the server, whereas both Dell and Cisco provide a 100 GB port."

What is our primary use case?

One of our customers wants some on-premises rack servers and AD servers. I suggested buying an HPE server and doing virtualization on that. We are considering HPE ProLiant Gen9 Servers.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find the most valuable is that all alerts are integrated with HPE InfoSight. Any problem related to an HPE server can be solved remotely at L1, L2 level.

What needs improvement?

They can increase the controller cache. Currently, it has a controller cache of up to 4 GB. The RAID controller card comes with a maximum of 4 GB cache in HPE servers, whereas it comes with a maximum of 8 GB cache in Dell servers.

They can also improve the port size. HP provides a 25 GB port on the server, whereas both Dell and Cisco provide a 100 GB port.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years.

It is stable.

Scalability depends upon the solution we are proposing.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took a maximum of one and a half hours. The deployment duration also depends upon the operating system.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. HPE servers are better than Dell and Wipro servers.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Stable, easy to set up, and supports Nutanix integration

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the ProLiant DL Servers are one of the products that we implement for our customers. They are primarily used as domain controllers and file servers. One of our customers also uses them for Nutanix.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be lowered to make it more competitive.

We have been working with the HPE ProLiant DL Servers for about two years.

These servers are stable and we plan to continue working with them.

This is a scalable product.

How are customer service and technical

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is stability.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be lowered to make it more competitive.

We have been working with the HPE ProLiant DL Servers for about two years.

These servers are stable and we plan to continue working with them.

This is a scalable product.

We are satisfied with the technical support from HPE.

The initial setup is straightforward and they take between a day and two days to deploy.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment. One person is enough for deployment and maintenance.

This is an expensive product and there is licensing required for iLO, which is the HPE monitoring system. There are no charges in addition to this.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Manager, IS Infrastructure at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A reliable product when scaled and upgraded to fit your needs

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Proliant DL Servers as rack servers.

There were a number of incidents, but overall it is stable. I think that we had a problem with a drive bay. Once we replaced the drive bays, everything is now working fine now.

Surely it is possible to scale the product. If you want to pay to upgrade the hardware like the processor and RAM cards it can be scaled.

We try to support the local suppliers most of the time and so we are working with them instead. We do not have a direct agreement for technical support with the team at HPE (Hewlett Packard Enterprise).

What other advice do I

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE Proliant DL Servers as rack servers.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend HPE Proliant DL Servers to other users.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten. To make it ten-of-ten, would be two things. First, when they make a sale they should provide support for the product to the buyer. I think they also need to make the hardware as relevant as possible as it is not completely up-to-date. For example, the drive bays generally seem to need to be upgraded.

Mario Cáceres
Gerente TI at Tecdex

We've been using ProLiant for six years.

ProLiant is highly stable. We've had very few problems with the servers. We only once had an issue with the hard disk in an HPE server.

The scalability is good. We have about 500 users now, but the business is growing strongly in licenses and post-sales service contracts.

HPE support is very good.

ProLiant servers are easy to deploy. It's not difficult to put all the elements together and configure it for our customers.

Some of the licenses are for one…

We've been using ProLiant for six years.

HPE support is very good.

Some of the licenses are for one year, and others are for three years. It's a standard fee with no additional charges.

What other advice do I have?

I rate ProLiant10 out of 10. My advice to new users is to be sure all the elements are compatible between systems. Also, you need to ensure the customers' needs match the size of the server that will be implemented. I'm talking about computer power.

Owner at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Stable, scalable, and easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

They should continue to maintain the stability that is there.

I have been using this solution for around nine months.

It is stable.

It is scalable. You just buy more. Less than 10% of the users in our company are using this solution directly.

I have not interacted with them.

We didn't use any other solution.

The…

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is stable and easy to set up.

What needs improvement?

They should continue to maintain the stability that is there.

I have been using this solution for around nine months.

It is stable.

I have not interacted with them.

We didn't use any other solution.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We did it ourselves. You need just one person for its deployment and maintenance.

It is not expensive. Its price is similar to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. We plan to keep using this solution.

I would rate HPE ProLiant DL Servers a nine out of ten.