Storage Analyst III at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly reliable, scalable, and beneficial duplication security
  • "The most valuable features of Dell EMC PowerProtect DD are the duplication security and uptime."

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC PowerProtect DD for backing up a target.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Dell EMC PowerProtect DD are the duplication security and uptime.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD works well with other solutions, such as NetWorker. It's really easy to pass over to Data Domain and vice versa.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerProtect DD for approximately 10 years.

The stability of Dell EMC PowerProtect DD cannot be beaten, it is highly stable and reliable.

Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)
    November 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability of Dell EMC PowerProtect DD is very good.

We have around 2000 employees and all the infrastructure that goes with it. We back up maybe 250 to 300 servers.

I have had excellent support because I am not using overseas support. I try to have support agents in Utah USA, and Canada.

The implementation of Dell EMC PowerProtect is straightforward. However, there are lots of options available. There are three different types of compression. It mainly dupes the data, and it also does local compression on the data domain itself. Once you choose the compression, you then have to decide whether you're going to do an entry backup or a straightforward input, big bucket type of backups, and only have one directory for your data.

When you purchase Dell EMC PowerProtect DD, you always have help from EMC. They will help you get familiar with whatever is new to you.

When you spend the kind of money for this solution you do receive good support to help you through any issues, it is not complicated.

We have two people that manage the solution, but the two people are more to cover sickness, training, vacation time, et cetera. A single person can do the maintenance.

The price of Dell EMC PowerProtect DD could improve, it is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to ensure they understand the solution well so that when they do implement it, it is done correctly for the business. Lots of different companies use it in different ways. I was with EMC for 10 years and I have spent the last 15 years supporting EMC customers, every implementation is unique because everybody has different ways of doing things. They don't always follow best practices, they will follow their business best practice rather than the vendor's best practice. They want a different thing out of a backup environment.

If my business said that they were going to change to a different backup product, I'd be looking for another job because I wouldn't trust my data with anything else.

I rate Dell EMC PowerProtect DD a ten out of ten.

Abbas Dagher - PeerSpot reviewer
    Regional Key Account Manager at ACT
    Valuable deduplication feature; capacity software increases price
    • "Good starting capacity and scalability."
    • "They still have hardware different from the software."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of our customers is to do backup for their data.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is that it looks for the deduplication, which can reduce the amount of the data.

What needs improvement?

One improvement to the solution would be in the integration with backup software. They still have hardware different from the software.

We have been working with Data Domain for around 10 years.

The stability and performance of the solution is good.

Data Domain is suitable large enterprises. Because it's scalable, the solution is targeted toward medium to large enterprises.

The technical support is good. It's better than others, but if they are not familiar with the problem, they have to take their time. But in general, they are good.

I have a team that takes care of the deployment. They say it's easy but it takes some time, in terms of policies and integrating with infrastructures the customer already has. These are the challenges but it's easy to use.

A medium project takes around seven days to implement and integrate. A large project, 200 terabytes or 300 terabytes of data, will take around 15 days to 20 days to integrate with all the servers and backup software.

The solution comes with three years warranty and support from the vendor, but we have a lot of users with electrical outages, or unexpected errors happen. So we replace the hardware in terms of the hard disk or the controller, or we do maintenance in terms of upgrading the firmware on all of it.

The solution was cheap; now it's becoming more expensive. For example, if you buy it for 10 terabytes, you have to buy 10 terabyte also of software for it. It's called the capacity software. It increased our prices.

I've compared Data Domain to NetBackup Appliance. The pros for Data Domain are the starting capacity and the scalability, but the pro for the NetBackup Appliance is it's being integrated with their backup solution, which is NetBackup software. In terms of the integration with the software and the ability to have it, if you have a problem with your backup, you can restore it on the same machine. So, it's better in terms of NetBackup.

Overall, whenever we integrate Data Domain with NetBackup software, it's been good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten. It's a good product that we recommend.

Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain)
    November 2022
    653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Ozgur Fakir - PeerSpot reviewer
    Senior Technology Consultant at GlassHouse
    Reseller
    Good compatibility, great documentation, and easy to set up
    • "It is a stable solution."
    • "We would like faster instant recovery."

What is most valuable?

The data application compression is great. I also like Cyber Sense, Cyber Lock, fast parallelizing insights, and Sure Backup.

The initial setup is easy.

It is a stable solution.

You can scale the product well.

The interface is good. We are very familiar with it and are comfortable using it.

The documentation is good. They are very accessible.

The compatibility is very good.

What needs improvement?

We would like faster instant recovery.

I've used the solution for around 20 years.

It's very stable. I can replicate the Data Domain, virtual addition, to my local physical version. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product is scalable. If you want to expand it, you can.

In my client's company they have about 1,000 people on the product.

We likely will continue to expand the solution.

In my company, we handle the technical support on our side. We are an insured company for Dell also. We have about 100 technical people that can assist.

The product is very simple to set up. It's not overly complex or difficult.

It takes about half an hour to compare all the data and for Data Domain to be set up in Azure. Also, I can see the source image and open Data Domain, and just share the source to my DPS solution, the networker. It works better.

You only need one person to maintain the solution.

The price is reasonable. However, it varies from project to project. While we've tried cheaper options, the features just weren't as good.

We just want to learn the difference between the DPS solution in Azure and Azure's own backup solution. I'm trying to measure for my customer if the DPS solution has different features for a better backup from an Azure site's backup.

I can compare the instructions in the also Azure site as well. I have a lot of mechanical Data Domain on my site. Also, I have got Data Domains on the Azure site.

What other advice do I have?

I've been a consultant for 20 years. I'm a distributor.

I would advise others to try it out.

Our customers work with a solution partner, and we offer training. It's good to have some help and insights at first.

It's a market leader. I'd rate it an eight out of ten.

Pre-Sales and Technical Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Excellent features for deduplication and fast transfer
    • "The features that I have found most valuable with Dell EMC PowerProtect DD are its deduplication feature and its DD Boost protocol for fast transfer, which is amazing."
    • "I would like to see some kind of integration with the ransomware in the next release."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly combined with software, such as NetWorker, and the Data Domain works as a repository for the information.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable with Dell EMC PowerProtect DD are its deduplication feature and its DD Boost protocol for fast transfer, which is amazing.

What needs improvement?

I have seen documentation from other products saying that they protect against ransomware and I haven't seen this in Data Domain. I don't know if it is a good idea to have it in the appliance, but I would like to see some kind of integration with the ransomware in the next release.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerProtect DD for about 15, 20 years.

It is working stably. I haven't had any trouble with the implementations I have done.

The backup solutions are from EMC umbrella. I have been using them for more than 20 years. All the implementation I have done for the past nine years+ have combined NetWorker and Data Domain.

In terms of scalability, you can grow it and you can put additional units as needed.

In terms of the number of people required to maintain the solution, that depends on the size of the customer environment. As an example, we have a customer with about 50 physical and virtual servers. They have two Data Domains with an administrator, but it is maintained by only one person.

I haven't dealt with support because I haven't had any problems with the equipment.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It is pretty straightforward to implement - nothing very complicated. Most of the work is in the software part, so it depends on the software solution, not Data Domain particularly.

The software part also depends on the amount of servers we are trying to protect. It also depends on the amount and types of database and applications. That is the complex part of these types of implementations.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this product is that the most important thing is to have a good sizing. If the sizing at the beginning is good, you won't have any trouble with the implementation or using the product. But if you have a bad sizing, it's going to be a headache.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give Dell EMC PowerProtect DD a 10.

Darshan Kolambkar - PeerSpot reviewer
    Sr Technical Architect at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    Offers data compression and deduplication for large organizations and has great technical support
    • "The most important feature is the level of data compression provided by Dell EMC. It's a leader in data compression and deduplication, and the level of compression isn't available with any other vendors in the market."
    • "The only problem is that it's more expensive than any other vendors available in the market."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The only problem is that it's more expensive than any other vendors available in the market. Overall, the product has a very large portfolio, and even the support level is great, but the challenge is the cost.

I would like to see a direct cloud backup solution. I should be able to directly take a backup into the cloud instead of having another product in between PowerProtect. It should be flexible enough to support the cloud.

I have been working with this solution for almost six years.

It's very stable.

They have very experienced guys, and we have exchanged information with the offices in Singapore and Europe. I would rate them 4 or 5 out of 5.

For the initial setup, you need to involve some of the OEM or service providers. You need support from the vendors because the complete design should be perfect, otherwise the product will not be deployed as per the requirement.

For maintenance, it's very limited because automations are available, but we need people to keep track of all the backup jobs that are in progress. You need a team that has experience with these products, but it depends on how large your environment is. If you have multiple offices in multiple countries, you need a large number of staff who can support these products.

It has a lot of automation which is supported, and it supports cloud-based implementation as well. The cloud side of it is very easy to create. You don't need to build anything in the cloud. If you're using it on-premise, you need people to manage and maintain it.

The price is really high compared to other vendors. The licensing cost is huge. Normal, mid-tier companies or small-scale companies wouldn't be able to afford it easily. Only bigger organizations like enterprises can afford this kind of product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Vedat Gunes - PeerSpot reviewer
    BI & Analytics Manager at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reliable, scalable, but performance could improve

What is our primary use case?

I am using Dell PowerProtect DD for data extraction for extract, transform, and load(ETL) processes. This is a tool that receives data from operational platforms, or systems, such as in my factory in insurance, underwriting, claim management or health provisioning, et cetera. It receives the data from the source systems and not from the data warehouse platform by doing transformation or by loading the data or after loading the data.

What needs improvement?

The usage of this solution is a bit difficult to develop processes, and it takes a long time to market permits.

I have been using Dell PowerProtect DD for 15 years.

Dell PowerProtect DD is a stable solution.

Dell PowerProtect DD is scalable but there are better tools.

The data engineers are using this platform in my company. There are 15 data engineers, and all of them are using this tool.

We are using technical support from the producers, and it is not good. I'm not happy with the technical support.

I rate the support from Dell PowerProtect DD a two out of five.

The initial setup of Dell PowerProtect DD is complex. Its initial setup is a bit complex because it uses many services on the operating system. Sometimes it is hard to solve the issue while installing the solution on-premises.

I rate the initial setup of Dell PowerProtect DD a three out of five

With the Dell PowerProtect DD, it is not possible to deploy the solution by ourselves. We deployed, and upgraded the solution, it took more than a month because there were problems, and the producer need to solve the issues. This is what took time.

We needed to get help to implement the solution because the producers because it is not easy.

If we do not move to the cloud solution and stay with our on-premise version we will miss some new features.

I rate the price of Dell PowerProtect DD a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Dell PowerProtect DD a six out of ten.

Chris Childerhose - PeerSpot reviewer
    Lead Infrastructure Architect at ThinkON
    ExpertTop 5
    The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable. The processing capabilities (version DD670) could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

The Data Domain serves as our primary backup device used with Veeam.  It is used for all service backups and restores.

How has it helped my organization?

This allows our organization to send more data to this device compared to others. It also allows us a fast recovery of files or Virtual Machines if needed being on-premise.

What is most valuable?

I would rate it at 5/5 as the deduplication and compression of the device for backups is outstanding. We have about 55TB total space on the Data Domain which we send Veeam backups to and we have sent over 200TB to the array.

The Deduplication and Compression are the most valuable as it allows us to back up allot more data to the device knowing it will compress it well.

What needs improvement?

The processing capabilities I believe could be improved, however, we have an older unit DD670 and newer units may have already improved upon this.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues encountered as we added a second shelf of disks without bringing the head unit down.

Customer service for this unit is top notch and they are fast to get back to you with a Support issue.

Technical Support is also top notch and are quick to respond to queries or tickets.

I was not involved in the initial setup of the array.

It was implemented through a vendor as well as in-house personnel.

It has been very good especially with the expansion shelf added.

What other advice do I have?

Review the newer versions of the device and evaluate them if possible. You will get great benefit for backups.

Enterprise IT Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    Reseller
    Beneficial inline data deduplication, simple migration, and knowledgeable support

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC PowerProtect DD for deduplication, data protection, and data recovery. We use many different versions, including the newest versions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the inline data deduplication.

I have been using Dell EMC PowerProtect DD for approximately 13 years.

I have used the solution all the way from when it was called Data Domain to when EMC bought it, to when Dell bought EMC, and now it is called Power Protect.

Dell EMC PowerProtect DD is highly stable and reliable. I have not had a time when the system did not work and in an emergency this is critical.

The solution is simple to scale.

We have at least a dozen clients that use Dell EMC PowerProtect DD, and they like how it works

The Dell support is excellent, they have a lot of knowledge and can work us through our issues quickly.

The initial setup is straightforward and is very easy to migrate to the next generation of solutions.

The solution requires one or two supporting staff and is low maintenance.

I would rate the ROI a five out of five.

The solution is expensive. However, if you pay less you receive less, it is cost-effective.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others and it is a good choice.

I rate Dell EMC PowerProtect DD a ten out of ten.

Download our free Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022