IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
SameerBali - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Architect at Syriatel Mobile Telecom
High availability, reliable, and has good technical support
  • "They are the most stable, have the highest availability, and are the most reliable on the market."
  • "The price could be lowered."

What is our primary use case?

I use Cisco Routers in a variety of technologies, including TLS, BGP, OSPF, EIGRP, VRF policy-based routing, and VPN in some routers.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price could be lowered.

I have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for ten years.

We are not using the most recent version, but it is not the oldest.

Cisco Enterprise Routers
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Enterprise Routers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Cisco Enterprise Routers is very stable.

Cisco Enterprise Routers is a scalable product.

We have more than 500 users in our company. We have a team of 50 IT technicians in our company and 5,000 employees that are distributed in approximately 70 locations in the country. Each location has Cisco Enterprise Routers on its premises.

We are pleased with Cisco's technical support.

I use many of the Enterprise Routers. I use now Cisco Routers 4420, 4431, 4450. I use IOS, IOS XE.

I have deployed many routers. All of our technologies have been applied to the routers.

We don't need a license if we use IOS for basic, IT-related tasks. However, if we want to use a security feature, advanced IT features, video conferencing, voice conferencing, or UT, we must purchase a license for each of these features.

Cisco Enterprise Routers are not the cheapest routers on the market, they are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution other others who are considering it.

I would rate Cisco Enterprise Routers an eight out of ten.

SW Engineer at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
They're quite robust, don't malfunction, and we've had no complaints so far
  • "Cisco Routers are quite robust. They don't malfunction, and we've had no complaints so far."
  • "I would like it if Cisco Routers had a longer lifecycle. That's what we need. We don't want to renew or implement a new model. One model should be available for at least five years. This seems impossible nowadays."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Routers have the native translation that we need for a couple of extra networks. They also provide firewall protection for our system.

What is most valuable?

Cisco Routers are quite robust. They don't malfunction, and we've had no complaints so far.

What needs improvement?

I would like it if Cisco Routers had a longer lifecycle. That's what we need. We don't want to renew or implement a new model. One model should be available for at least five years. This seems impossible nowadays.

I think we first installed the Enterprise Routers about three years ago, but now they're reaching the end of their lifecycle, so we'll likely switch.

Cisco Routers are a stable solution.

Cisco Routers are scalable enough for our needs. We only have a couple of networks we need to connect and 200 customers.

So far I haven't had any issues. Support provides us with all the latest patches and updates.

We prepare everything here in the factory and the site where our systems are. Then we set up a new IP address when needed. The time required for deployment depends on the person and site. Typically, if it's a competent person, it's a half-hour job with verification and testing.

Cisco Routers are quite affordable. The price is not the problem. It's the availability and the lifecycle.

I'm currently looking at Netgear for a replacement solution and some other candidates. We will evaluate and verify.

Cisco Enterprise Routers
August 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good tech support and easy to install
  • "The solution is easy to install."
  • "The solution could be more stable and secure."

What is our primary use case?

We use routers for communicating between different networks.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more stable and secure.

We've been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for the past two decades.

The solution is quite stable, although it could be more so.

We have the need to upgrade and plan to do so at the requisite time.

We have had occasion to contact technical support in the case of clarifications, other practices involving new software and firmware upgrades.

We are very satisfied with the response time.

The solution is easy to install. It is so easy. It does not present an issue.

We require six people, working around the clock, for the deployment and maintenance.

We do not have an issue with the price.

The license is perpetual and is in-built to the router upon purchase of the device. However, they recently changed the licensing model to one which is subscription-based for periods of three, five or seven years. The licensing fee is okay and matches industry standards, which is the benchmark.

In the past we evaluated Juniper Routers. The sole difference between this solution and that of Cisco Enterprise Routers is that the former has a somewhat more complex operating system, which is not very user-friendly.

We have not made use of Juniper Routers.

What other advice do I have?

There are around 9,000 people in our organization and we have approximately 120 routers.

I would recommend Cisco Enterprise Routers to others.

Projects Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Reliable devices for the enterprise, with good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller of Cisco Enterprise Routers with around 10 clients using Cisco's enterprise equipment. The deployment model (on-prem, cloud, etc.) varies between the different clients and the routers are mainly used for either routing or Voice over IP. We also work with D-Link and HP in addition to Cisco.

What is most valuable?

The stability is very good.

What needs improvement?

Performance is one area that could be improved. The stability of the devices is great, but performance-wise we find that upgrading the memory or changing the device entirely is sometimes necessary.

I have been dealing with Cisco Enterprise Routers for almost 20 years.

The stability of Cisco Enterprise Routers is very good, although sometimes there are issues with performance, or IP wastage. Usually, we are able to overcome performance issues by upgrading memory or changing the device, if need be. In most cases, when you do upgrade the memory or other components, it usually sorts itself out.

The scalability is okay.

The technical support of Cisco is generally quite good and I can recommend reaching out to them for help.

Sometimes the initial setup can be complicated, depending on the complexity of the network. In general, however, we are able to manage.

Normally, we pay for the licenses upfront. I think it's mostly just a perpetual, once-off license.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Enterprise Routers are good. I can't rate them ten out of ten, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a nine out of ten.

Network Security Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A stable and scalable enterprise router
  • "I think Cisco Enterprise Routers are excellent."
  • "The price could be better"

What is our primary use case?

What we do is build a private point and then connect to the Internet. It's basically a dynamic multipoint virtual VPN.

What is most valuable?

I think Cisco Enterprise Routers are excellent.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. This product is already at the end of life stage, but if they continue to make this kind of product, they should make it affordable. All the new releases come with little flexibility and are expensive.

In the next release, it would be helpful if they put some features like antivirus inside the router.

I have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for more than three years.

It's a stable product.

Cisco Enterprise Routers are scalable, but it can be challenging to integrate with some other devices.

Their support is very good.

The initial setup is easy and took us less than an hour to deploy.

My team implemented it. The number of people you need to implement and maintain the solution depends on the project. For example, we can preload the router and add a file. But we still need someone like an engineer to plug or unplug the server. Typically, it takes about one or two people to do it.

It's quite expensive for small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I will recommend this product to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Enterprise Routers a ten.

Ali Liaqat - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive at FFC
A stable enterprise routing solution with good support

What is our primary use case?

I use Cisco Enterprise Routers for connectivity. I have five branch sites and a headquarters. We use these routers for connectivity between the branch sites and the headquarters where I'm using SAP.

What is most valuable?

I like that Cisco Enterprise Routers is a stable solution. Their technical support is also really good.

What needs improvement?

It would be better if Cisco Enterprise Routers were more secure.

I've been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for about 11 years.

Cisco Enterprise Routers is a stable solution. They are stable enough, and they have been serving us well for the past ten years. We haven't found any issues with them.

Cisco Enterprise Routers is scalable, but their legacy routers aren't that scalable. However, they have been serving us pretty well over the years. We have about 4,000 users at the moment.

Cisco's tech support has been really good.

The initial setup is straightforward, and it's easy to install. It takes less than an hour to implement this solution. We have a technical team with about 20 people maintaining this solution.

We implemented this solution by ourselves.

I only evaluated Fortinet. There's tough competition between Fortinet and Cisco, but we opted for Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

I would probably recommend this solution to new users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Enterprise Routers an eight.

Sumanth Myneni - PeerSpot reviewer
Architect at PepsiCo
Scalable, robust, and helpful support
  • "The most valuable feature of Cisco Enterprise Routers is that they are robust and resilient."
  • "The overall price of Cisco Enterprise Routers should be reduced, it is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We use Cisco Enterprise Routers or WAN connectivity and switching in multiple areas, such as data centers and branch offices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Cisco Enterprise Routers is that they are robust and resilient.

What needs improvement?

The overall price of Cisco Enterprise Routers should be reduced, it is expensive.

I have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for approximately 10 years.

Cisco Enterprise Routers are stable.

The scalability of Cisco Enterprise Routers is good.

We have approximately 250,000 users using this solution in my organization. We have an additional 10,000-20,000 contractors and a couple of partners who use the solution.

The support from Cisco Enterprise Routers is good.

Cisco Enterprise Routers has a simple implementation. The timeframe it tale for the implementation depends on the solution we are deploying. It varies up to ten hours. We use Cisco's wireless, routers, switches, and a few firewalls.

We used an integrator to do the implementation.

We have approximately 20 engineers that do the deployment and maintenance.

The license of Cisco Enterprise Routers is too expensive compared to other solutions. As we try to increase the bandwidth, it gets even more expensive. There is an annual license needed to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Cisco Enterprise Routers to others who need an enterprise solution.

I rate Cisco Enterprise Routers an eight out of ten.

Anil Ergunsah - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Partner & Technical Consultant&Trainer(CCIE#29761, CCSI#31865) at IT Expert
Beneficial routing tables, simple firewall, and highly stable
  • "The most valuable features of Cisco Enterprise Routers are the routing tables, and backup solutions available for local sites, and you can use it as a router gateway or simple IPS. They have simple firewalls, that we can use rules to filter traffic."
  • "Cisco Enterprise Router's price could improve, they are expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Enterprise Routers are helpful to connect customers to service providers. We can use hardware or software, such as SD-WAN. The Cisco antenna for SD-WAN is good. The solution is an easy setup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Cisco Enterprise Routers are the routing tables, and backup solutions available for local sites, and you can use it as a router gateway or simple IPS. They have simple firewalls, that we can use rules to filter traffic.

What needs improvement?

Cisco Enterprise Router's price could improve, they are expensive.

I have been using Cisco Enterprise Routers for approximately 15 years.

Cisco Enterprise Routers is stable.

I have found Cisco Enterprise Routers to be scalable.

We have approximately 300 clients using this solution.

Cisco Enterprise Routers come installed with its OS. They are easy to configure initially. However, it can depend on the design or features that you use. The initial setup is easy and takes approximately five minutes.

If Cisco Enterprise Routers could be less expensive it would be better. In Turkey, clients prefer cheap solutions, but working solutions.

There is a license needed to enable some features. If you want support from Cisco then you need to purchase it. However, it includes operating system upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Cisco Enterprise Routers an eight out of ten.

Download our free Cisco Enterprise Routers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022