IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Balakrishnan Vinchu - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Architect at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Great functionality and excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

My current job is to compare all the different API gateways and to create a report for management. We use this tool primarily to secure our API. We have a set of API from our four businesses and we're trying to apply these APIs to multiple applications. For example, third parties can leverage our APIs built to their own solutions and applications and we build applications on top of these APIs. I make the system available like a mobile app. Primarily the API management for the entire ecosystem of AP that we are building and the DGPS are providing, have varied capabilities across the organization. Apigee also acts as a proxy, everything is done within that.  We also leverage the developer portal of Apigee as a main feature, which can be given to outside customers by third parties to build their own applications around our API. One of the standout features of Apigee is the different PolyPhaser functions that we use. For example, we use throttling, encryption/decryption and we also use external AP integration with PV.2 I'm a senior architect and big data engineer and we are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

I like the functionality of this solution.

What needs improvement?

The cost of this solution could be improved and it would be better if it were on private cloud.

The solution is stable.
Apigee
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is scalable.

I'm not directly involved in the technical support aspect, but I've heard that the technical team is excellent. They provide support from the beginning until you completely run all your setups.

This solution is much easier to set up compared to any of the other API gateway solutions. There is extensive documentation available.

What other advice do I have?

I would go with Apigee if you have the money. It will give you enough APIs for management. If you're looking simply for one functionality then I wouldn't recommend Apigee. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Product Manager at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
More scalable than WSA-2, but also more pricey and does not come with a partnership model
  • "Apigee has better scalability than WSA."
  • "Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution."

What needs improvement?

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiation.

Unlike WSA, Apigee does not have a partnership model, something which makes it a bit easier for companies such as ours to go with the former solution.

While I cannot comment definitively on the partnership issue, as the company has yet to get back to me, I can say that this issue and the one of the pricing are why I choose to rate the solution as a six out of ten.

The stability is fine.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

While the technical support seems fine, I cannot comment on this with certainty, as we did not go ahead with implementation of the solution. Had we gone ahead with a partnership with Apigee, then I would be in a better position to do so.

If the budget is not a concern then I will choose to go with Apigee over WSA-2, but if it is then I would prefer the latter solution. Apigee is quite pricey. The price is a thorny issue as there is little room for negotiations.

Apigee has better scalability than WSA.

What other advice do I have?

We are customers of Apigee.

I rate Apigee as a six out of ten because of its pricing.

Apigee
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Flexible, effective API management, and reliable
  • "Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas."

What is our primary use case?

Apigee is a platform for API management.

What is most valuable?

Apigee is a pioneer in the industry and has good features and functionalities. It is a good tool for API management and it has more advancements than all other tools in the market in certain areas.

It has many features, such as flexibility, coding writing, and JavaScripting.

I have been using Apigee for approximately four years.

Apigee is stable. In the entire API management world, I feel this is one of the best tools for pure API management. If there are any orchestrations or business processes to be involved, then Mulesoft or Boomi can be used, but comparatively, all the security and governance policies that are available on the dashboards and the reports make Apigee the best tool for pure API management.

The installation is good. I won't say it is complex, but it has many configurations and types of policies that are available. However, it can be easily done.

Apigee is slightly expensive, but again, it can depend on the type of usage. All things considered, it is slightly expensive.

AWS is winning in the cost category, they have many packages and services but when using all these services together I am not sure what the cost would be.

I have evaluated Mulesoft and Boomi. I have found these two solutions are being used secondarily to Apigee. Additionally, AWS and Azure's Gateways are becoming popular in the market. From the cost perspective, in the two years, AWS gateway is widely being used. These four solutions are widely being used in the market but Apigee is much far ahead than all other tools.

AWS and Apigee have similar features. I don't see any significant change in the difference at the moment. The choice is more about convenience and cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apigee an eight out of ten.

CEO at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
    Incredibly scalable with good technical support that is responsive
    • "The most valuable features are scalability and technical support."
    • "Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apigee as our API gateway.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are scalability and technical support.

What needs improvement?

The definition of the APIs should improve because you can't easily validate the inputs and outputs. Better functionality for validating inputs and outputs would be helpful.

I have been using Apigee for four years.

We are working with a SaaS model and we install the on-premises model version also.

Apigee is a very stable product.

The scalability is incredible. We make an average of 22 million API calls.

We have less than ten people who are developers.

We have plans to increase usage in the future.

The technical support is very good and we are satisfied with it. They respond very quickly and I like it.

I have used several solutions previously, such as IBM API Connect, WSO2 API Manager, and many other API solutions.

It is not suited for small companies. It's expensive.

For a bank, it would not be expensive, but to implement this solution for a smaller company such as an insurance company, it would be too expensive.

The pricing is complicated and not flexible.

The older versions are more suited for small to medium-sized companies. You can no longer pay €20,000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good API tool.

I think that this solution is very good in some use cases but not very good for some small companies. It can be complicated for licensing and pricing. This is a product that I can recommend otherwise.

Hybrid Cloud
    Sr. Solution Architeect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Very functional with a lot of flexibility
    • "Great flexibility with its features."
    • "Could be more user friendly."

What is our primary use case?

We are customers of Apigee.

What is most valuable?

This solution offers a lot of flexibility in its features. Other tools like IBM Data Power have limited capability when it comes to features like data control, VPN management and monitoring.

What needs improvement?

I think the portal could offer a better user experience. It's functional and does what it's supposed to but it's not user friendly. I'd also like to see better routing features. Currently routing is limited and the setup is complicated. From a VPN management perspective, I think we would like to have more user training available, particularly for advanced users, without having to pay. There is generally a learning curve for advanced usage and configuration, and troubleshooting is a steeper curve. Whenever we have an issue, we're dependent on support. We'd like our personnel to be better trained by Apigee so we can handle issues in-house.

I've been using this solution for six months.

The solution is stable and, from an enterprise perspective, it can handle volume which is important for us.

We have good support from Google. They provide onsite support and everything is available to us. We are happy with the support.

The initial setup is quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. Apigee offers a month free usage so you can play around and explore the product and then make a decision. We had a good opportunity to test things out before purchasing the solution.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Google
    Pradeep Pavuluri - PeerSpot reviewer
    Principal Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    A cloud-based API management platform that's easy to use
    • "Apigee is very easy to use, and you can code in any language."
    • "Access restrictions can be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We have an API, which I developed using multiple languages and different applications. We have a lot of applications, and they have their individual APIs. We create a proxy for those applications in Apigee, and we expose those proxies to access those APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Apigee didn't exactly improve our organization, but it fulfilled a requirement. There are a few tools in the marketplace, but we thought Apigee was the best for our use case.

What is most valuable?

Apigee is very easy to use, and you can code in any language, like JavaScript, Java, or any other language. That's really helpful. It's cloud-based, so there's no need for any installation.

What needs improvement?

Access restrictions can be improved. For example, you can't restrict access to some people or some groups. You have to give them total access.

I've been using Apigee for about three months.

Apigee is a stable solution.

I think it depends on your license, but it's highly scalable.

The initial setup is straightforward. We don't need a lot of training for the developers to start working, just a few days at most. It's very easy to start with, and the development effort is also a lot less.

What other advice do I have?

For potential users of Apigee, I'd tell them there's a free version if they want to check it out and have a trial.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee an eight.

Group CEO at Mmusi Group
    An API management and predictive analytics software that lets you personalize products
    • "I simply like how you can personalize your products and put them into product categories. That's what I like the most."
    • "The analytical aspect of it could be better. I think it is fair if Apigee lets you configure some of the metrics of the key details you want to monitor in terms of analytics."

What is our primary use case?

I use Apigee for healthcare management.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The analytical aspect of it could be better. I think it is fair if Apigee lets you configure some of the metrics of the key details you want to monitor in terms of analytics.

I have been using Apigee for about two years.

Apigee is a stable solution.

Apigee is a cloud solution, and it's scalable. I have about two departments using it predominantly to share staff. Because of how the company was structured, we had one for original regulations and one for Africa. The regulations in some of the African countries are not the same.

I'm satisfied with customer service. On a scale of one to five, I'll give them a five.

Before Apigee, I used G Data Software, IBM, and more.

Apigee is in the cloud, so it's more like software-as-a-service.

You do not necessarily pay for the license. The cloud solution is based more on transactions. So, you pay for it either way.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to potential users.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee a nine.

Senior IT Supervisor at a hospitality company with 10,001+ employees
    Solid, stable product for home use but the user interface needs some work
    • "I use it because it's simple, it automatically updates, and It hasn't given me any issues."
    • "Apigee's user interface could be more straightforward and have more options. Also, it would be nice if it were ready to work out of the box without so much configuration."

What is our primary use case?

I use it at home to scan my local drive for malware or viruses.

What is most valuable?

I like Apigee's automatic plates.

What needs improvement?

Apigee's user interface could be more straightforward and have more options. Also, it would be nice if it were ready to work out of the box without so much configuration. Regarding features I'd like to see, they could add self-recovery from the last hour, the last day, etc.

I've used Apigee for around five years.

The stability and performance are both pretty good. However, I have an FFD disc, so I don't see the scans anymore. They're all done overnight.

The version I'm using isn't scalable. It's not the professional version.

I have never called Apigee support. I haven't had any issues.

Installing Apigee is very simple and only takes two or three minutes.

The home version is completely free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apigee seven out of 10. It's a good tool, but not a fantastic tool. I use it because it's simple, it automatically updates, and It hasn't given me any issues.

Download our free Apigee Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022