We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Head of Technical Support at a real estate/law firm with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, stable, but performance could improve
  • "Windows 10 is easier for people to learn than other alternative solutions. Microsoft has been doing a very good job recently with updates and integrations, such as the collaboration with Ubuntu."
  • "Windows 7 and Windows 10 are identical. However, Windows 10 is the slowest of all the variants. You need to use a solid-state drive if you are going to run Windows. Otherwise, once you install it, and give it some time it is going to slow your whole system down. Especially if you are using the internet, it is going to slow your system down fast. Additionally, it could be more secure as Windows 10 is more vulnerable to viruses."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is used as an operating system for running applications, such as email, spreadsheets, file sharing, and Oracle.

Additionally, we use Windows because it is a requirement of both applications and for many businesses. Windows is at the center of the application. We use it for the POS applications that run on Navision ERP from Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Windows 7 and Windows 10 are identical. However, Windows 10 is the slowest of all the variants. You need to use a solid-state drive if you are going to run Windows. Otherwise, once you install it, and give it some time it is going to slow your whole system down. Especially if you are using the internet, it is going to slow your system down fast. Additionally, it could be more secure as Windows 10 is more vulnerable to viruses.

This solution is very different from Linux where everything that you run is a process. Windows is not as fast as Linux, it is slower when you run processes, but Windows has something that attracts you to it and I think it is because of familiarity.

Microsoft monitors what you are doing. If they removed telemetry, Cortana, and other snooping tactics it would be a lot faster. The updates have to be watched because they can have some surprises related to the gathering of information.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

The solution is stable.

We have approximately 600 systems running Windows.

We have not used support from Microsoft.

We have previously used Windows 7, Windows Server, and Linux.

The installation is easy and is very fast.

We have a team of 20 that does the maintenance and deployment of this solution.

There is a one-time license purchase for Windows 10.

I have evaluated Windows 11.

What other advice do I have?

I would prefer Linux to Microsoft. However, Microsoft is releasing Windows 11 and they have made some great advancements. We will see in the near future the new features.

I rate Windows 10 a seven out of ten.

HR Operations Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and customize with helpful technical support
  • "We've found the scalability to be good."
  • "Nowadays, everything needs to be online, which I do not prefer. I prefer a few files, few applications to be available offline without connecting to the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using the solution as an operating system.

What is most valuable?

I do prefer the dark mode. They did not have a dark mode on Windows 8 or XP.

The product offers very good customizations.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The stability is very good.

We've found the scalability to be good.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I don't like that Skype has been discontinued and so is Internet Explorer. Those kinds of things, things you are really comfortable with and do not have much of a footprint on your computer, those are getting eliminated.

I'd like them to work on building tools that take up less space, as I tend to work offline.

I've been using the solution for a long time. I've used it since it was originally rolled out.

The stability is good and I find it to be a reliable OS. That said, at certain times it takes a lot of time to get those patches updated. That's every now and then, however, apart from that, it's fine.

In terms of scaling, for us, it was pretty much a comprehensive rollout, so I don't see any problems there. The product can scale.

We've reached out to technical support in the past. We find Microsoft to be helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with their level of service.

This is the only operating system I am using at the moment.

The initial setup is not difficult or complex. It's straightforward and simple.

I don't handle payment resolutions and therefore cannot speak to the licensing for this product. I'm not sure how much we pay or if we license it in monthly or yearly increments.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user. I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'm using the latest version of the solution at this time.

Compared to previous Windows iterations, this is a great OS.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
KrisVan De Vijver
Senior Infrastructure and System Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
An intelligent OS that is stable with a great interface
  • "Every new version is always an improvement on the last."
  • "In Windows 10, the magnifier is really bad in comparison to the macOS zooming feature."

What is our primary use case?

The solution runs on some of my laptops and I personally have it on my own devices.

What is most valuable?

What I like about Windows 10 is that it's a very intelligent OS. The interface is great. It's stable.

I love the interface. It's very smart. The customization capabilities and all the advantages of Windows 10 are great.

You have a lot of third-party software for the Windows environment.

I have to use it for work, however, it's also a good choice for me as well to use it in my private time.

Every new version is always an improvement on the last.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

On a MacBook, in macOS, whatever application you have opened or are using, whether it's Apple or third-party or part of the OS or not, it doesn't matter, at any point you can always zoom in on the screen by just simply pushing a button and rotating the mouse scroll wheel for example, at any time. It's very smooth and fast zooming capabilities. You can zoom in very a lot or zoom in limited, whatever you need, at any part of the screen. I love that feature.

However, in Windows 10, the magnifier is really bad in comparison to the macOS zooming feature. I don't exactly remember what Apple calls it, however, the Windows magnifier is really bad. I tried also some third-party zooming tools and software for Windows, which were also really bad. This is something I really miss in Windows. In Windows, the magnifier really isn't that great.

I've basically used the solution since it was released.

The solution is quite stable. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I don't use technical support. It's my understanding that many private users don't. therefore, I can't really speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

The initial setup is quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have any issues with the process.

What other advice do I have?

I work as a consultant for companies and it depends on the client. So sometimes I work in large environments, sometimes medium, sometimes small environments.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I've been very happy with its capabilities.

Telecommunication Department Head at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, very stable, and simple to setup
  • "I have found the product to be scalable."
  • "The security could always be better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the product for running personal applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers a high amount of stability. It has not been corrupted at any time and the performance is good.

It's holding all of my software and normal applications that are used on the PC.

The product has been very user-friendly.

I have found the product to be scalable.

The initial setup is very easy.

What needs improvement?

I have no notes on how to make it better. For my purposes, it has worked perfectly.

The security could always be better. I'd like more security specifically on my PC and I have noticed that Windows does not yet offer very good security.

We've used the solution for many years. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time, however, we implemented it around the time it was first offered. It's been a long time.

The stability is excellent. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's quite reliable and the performance, overall, is very good.

The solution so far seems to be quite scalable for my purposes.

I only have it for personal use and use it on my three PCs. I don't have a large setup.

I've never had the opportunity to contact technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I previously used Windows 7. I've used older versions of Windows, however, when I log into my server, I'm using Windows Server 2016.

The installation is very straightforward. It's easy to install. The process is not overly difficult or complex.

The deployment, from what I recall, is very quick. It might have taken around 20 minutes or so.

You can choose a monthly or a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'm not sure if we are using the latest version of the solution. I cannot speak to the version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten We've been very pleased with its capabilities.

I would recommend this solution to other users.

President at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Easily navigate between several apps and programs simultaneously
  • "We can be certain of what documents are being worked on and by who — that is, of course, essential."
  • "If the desktop version could be a little bit more like the mobile application, that would be great. It's just easier to navigate."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the staff in the office use PCs but I'm using Windows 10 on my Mac.

We use Windows 10 mostly for document management, Word, Excel, presentations — things of that nature.

We have an additional license. Within our organization, there are 25 people, ranging from finances, registration, faculty members, etc. We also have a student body of around 80, all of whom use Windows 10.

How has it helped my organization?

We can be certain of what documents are being worked on and by who — that is, of course, essential. We can also keep better track of who is responsible for what. That's really helpful.

What is most valuable?

If I am being honest, I'm not a big Microsoft fan myself. I just find it a little bit clumsy, at least with the desktop application, it's just hard to navigate. I find the online interface, the mobile version, a lot more simple to use which makes it easier to collaborate with my staff. When you open up the mobile version, it's already fed to the cloud and you can share it from there, but I think that it could be a generational thing. Most of the staff in my office don't always make sure that the documents are safe in one draft. Sometimes we end up having multiple copies in one day.

I find the interface with Teams to be very useful.

I like the library feature (connected to OneDrive). You can check back in-house to see who the last user was — I find that to be extremely helpful.

In terms of Microsoft Word, if the desktop version could be a little bit more like the mobile application, that would be great. It's just easier to navigate.

It's relatively useful, in terms of navigating and finding what I need.

I have been using Windows 10 for at least two years.

Personally, I don't find it to be very stable.

We have our own technical support personnel; however, we have contacted Microsoft support and they were very helpful. I would give them a rating of ten out of ten.

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to use Windows 10, make sure to opt for the staff training. It's two sessions and it's very helpful.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Windows 10 a rating of nine.

Mr. Antonio Damian
Sales Manager at INFOSEC
Feature-rich, intuitive, fast, and integrates well with third-party applications
  • "I like that it has many features that are easily displayed."
  • "It is incompatible with some communications when you need to share some data."

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows 10 to manage clients, the CRM or ERP such as SAP or Microsoft Dynamics.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 is an established operating system. It's a good solution.

It is easy and simple to use, and it's also fast.

It's a quiet operating system, that integrates well with third-party applications.

I like that it has many features that are easily displayed.

It is also very intuitive. For example, if I have a printer with no drivers, the Windows Operating System installs it for me. This makes everything easier for me.

What needs improvement?

We are always excited and interested to learn about new features. It would be helpful to know of the newly available features in advance.

I would prefer to talk to the computer as I would speak to a secretary rather than use the keyboard. It would be nice to be able to speak to the computer and ask it to do certain functions or tasks. A voice-activated assistant would be very helpful.

When compared to MacIntosh, or Linux, it would be helpful to include some of their operating system philosophy.

It is incompatible with some communications when you need to share some data.

I have been using Windows 10 for ten years.

I don't have any issues with the stability of Windows 10.

Windows 10 is a scalable product.

We also use Windows Server. It's a good operating system. The features meet the requirements of the network.

With Windows Server, the user can print, use the internet, and can use some applications. It is a good characteristic for one server. You don't need several servers because one Windows Server is sufficient.

I would rate Windows Server a nine out of ten.

Windows Server is a scalable product, and it is also stable.

Windows Server integrates well.

I have some common issues with Windows when running the setup again. Sometimes it is difficult because of the new features that have been added. Given the time to learn about them, it would be easier for me.

The initial setup can sometimes be simple and other times it can be complex. For a new user, it may be complex.

What other advice do I have?

I started working with Windows in 1993.

I would rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

BobenGeorge
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Installs easily, is reliable, and is easy to use
  • "It is easy to use."
  • "The security should be increased."

What is our primary use case?

Windows 10 is an operating system that I am using on my laptop to run applications.

What is most valuable?

Windows 10 is very good.

They build a lot on the stages, which has helped in making Windows 11 an improved version.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security should be increased. More people are using Windows 10, which makes it more vulnerable. With more people using it makes you prone to attacks. It has to be updated frequently, along with the market trends.

Frequent updates can be frustrating.

The technical support should be more feasible, and more viable. Their work strategy needs to be changed.

I have been using Windows 10 for four years.

Windows 10 is stable, unlike Windows 7, the previous version.

Everyone in the organization is using this solution. Some also have it installed on their personal laptops for personal use. We even have situations where it is installed on a Mac.

It is difficult to approach them to get a solution.

We don't have a dedicated technician who is connecting to us or to address any issues we are experiencing.

You can try to call, and it just rings, or we connect to some local corner in the world to tell our story and what we need from them before we can get a solution.

This is an issue that we have with Microsoft.

I am using Windows 11.

As a technical team, we use many solutions in several different environments.
For example, testing environments, and virtual environments.

The installation is feasible. In terms of the installation, it is straightforward, they have improved the installation process quite a bit.

It can take 15 to 20 minutes to deploy.

We don't require anyone to maintain the solution, we push it through an SCCM. They get connected to the LAN network.

I was able to complete the installation myself.

We pay Microsoft a yearly license fee. Our payments are made through the portal.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using this solution.

I would rate Windows 10 a nine out of ten.

Founder, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Straightforward installation
  • "I think that they have been doing a great job for a long time now when it comes to installation and user experience."
  • "Although the solution has been pretty nice to use, I have encountered certain bugs in the updates."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the latest version.

I use it on my personal computer for such things as emails and Youtube. What with the current pandemic, my kids use it for homeschooling.

What needs improvement?

Although the solution has been pretty nice to use, I have encountered certain bugs in the updates. Other than that, things have been pretty good, although I do prefer Mac over Windows nowadays, having a couple years' experience with it in the past. I feel it to be a better operating system when compared with Windows.

While I consider Windows to be one of the most user-friendly operating systems and a market leader, the bugs which have plagued it's updates all along are problematic. This is why I choose to deduct a point from its rating.

An example of a bug I encountered one or two months back involved the malfunctioning of certain keys on the laptop. When I removed the update, things reverted to normal. This can be a problem when one of the keys is part of your password. It necessitates use of the virtual keyboard, which is open to others. These are issues Microsoft should be addressing and should resolve prior to releasing the patch.

QA needs to be improved.

I've been using Windows 10 for the last two to three years.

While the solution has been good, overall, the bugs I have come across have been an issue.

I have never had occasion to contact technical support. As a technician, myself, I've managed to fix things on my own.

The installation has been pretty straightforward. I think that they have been doing a great job for a long time now when it comes to installation and user experience.

A single installation takes no more than 25 minutes.

One can handle the installation on his own.

Every time I've bought Windows, it came bundled with the laptop, so we are talking about a perpetual license. I'm not sure how this would operate in the retail market.

What other advice do I have?

I would, definitely, recommend this solution to others.

I make personal use of it.

I would not rate Windows 10 as a ten out of ten, but would give it a rating of nine.