We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Project Manager at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to use with a good UI and excellent scalability
  • "The UI is very familiar, which makes it very user-friendly and easy to navigate."
  • "The stability could be a bit stronger - if they were going to work on any specific aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for pretty much everything at the company. We use it for a lot of daily routine tasks.

What is most valuable?

Microsoft is a very trusted brand.

We've found the solution to be quite stable.

The product scales well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall the solution having any missing features. We've been happy with its abilities so far. Nothing strikes me as lacking in terms of how it operates.

I've been using the solution for many years.

The stability of the product is very reliable. The performance has been good. We don't deal with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. That said, if they could continue to improve the product in any way, it would be great for them to continue to work on stability.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We have five people in our organization currently using the product.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I do not recall using a different solution before working with Windows 10.

I did not handle the implementation and therefore cannot speak to how easy or difficult it was. I'm unsure as to how long the actual deployment took as I didn't play a role in the process.

There was someone who handled the implementation for me, however, I can't speak to if they were a consultant or integrator.

I cannot speak to the exact licensing costs. It's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with.

What other advice do I have?

I use the solution both for personal purposes as well as part of my employment duties.

I can't speak to which version of the solution we are using. I can't say if it is the latest or not.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it as a nine. We've been very pleased with its overall capabilities over the time that we have used it.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Mostafa
System Administrator at Suez Canal Insurance
Review about Windows 10
Microsoft has been closely watching the onslaught of this new ransomware epidemic and added a slew of new features to the second major update of Win10 which is called "Creators Update" — Win 10 CU for short — which has been rolling out for a few weeks, consumers first. Presenting new anti-ransomware protection features added in Win 10 CU, Robert Lefferts, Director of Program Management, Windows Enterprise and Security, said that no Windows 10 customer was affected by the recent WannaCry ransomware outbreak that took place in mid-May and no currently known ransomware strain can infect Windows 10. From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement. The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS…

From a security perspective, CU is a massive improvement.

The new security features include the following list, apart from a host of non-security related additions like a 3D version of MS Paint. :-)

• Click-to-run for Adobe Flash in Edge — which prevents ransomware and other malware from landing on Windows 10 PCs via exploits kits and drive-by downloads.
  • Instant cloud protection via Windows Defender — According to Microsoft, starting with CU, Windows Defender AV can suspend a suspicious file from running and sync with the cloud protection service to further inspect the file.
  • Fast remediation mechanism at detection — Microsoft says it has made great strides to "remediate ransomware infection and limit ransomware activity from minutes to seconds, reducing its damage from hundreds of encrypted files to a few." Microsoft credits this to Windows Defender AV’s behavioral engine, who can aggregate malware behavior across processes and stages.
  • Improved detection for script-based attacks — Microsoft says its Antimalware Scan Interface (AMSI) was modified to intervene during the strategic execution points of JS or VBS script runtimes, two infection vectors often used by ransomware.
  • Wow64 compatibility scanning — In CU, Windows Defender AV added a process-scanning feature that uses the Wow64 compatibility layer, enabling it to better inspect system interactions of 32-bit applications running on 64-bit operating systems.
  • Process tree visualizations — feature added to Windows Defender ATP, the commercial version of Windows Defender.
  • Artifact searching capabilities — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Machine isolation and quarantine — feature added to Windows Defender ATP.
  • Windows Edge browser — better protection against remote code execution attacks.

Overall, your average user will probably not notice the difference

Overall, it's a good update, but it stands out for its incremental tweaks and behind-the-scenes improvements to matters such as security, updates and privacy, rather than for spectacular new features.

Obviously, you will not be able to roll this out immediately in your organization, despite the CU security improvements. Implementing CU is likely not a priority if you have just started to deploy Win10, and you might jump straight to the next major update, codenamed Redstone 3 which is due later this year.

The update is available to MSDN/TechNet subscribers running the Enterprise, Education and IoT Core edition. Organizations that have Windows via the Volume License Service Center have been able to get the update since May 1.

Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abdulla Pathan
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Stable, easy to use, and scalable
  • "We have found the solution to be stable."
  • "The price could be cheaper. If they want to compete with Linux, they need to actually come out at a lesser cost."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for development. Mainly, it's easy for developers to learn, and allows for adaptability of the Windows platforms to make it easy for developers to develop any application. Its development environments might not be available on Linux or other platforms such as Ubuntu.

What is most valuable?

It's easy to use.

We have found the solution to be stable.

The scalability is great.

What needs improvement?

I've used the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

It's pretty much used by everybody in the company. That's likely 1000 or more users.

It's my understanding that we don't really need technical support. Everything seems to be working. Microsoft, quality wise, if you take a look at it, has less of a likelihood of facing any quality slippage that would affect the whole operating system. It's very reliable.

I have always used Windows. I did not use any other solution.

The installation was handled by our IT team. I was not a part of that process. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was. However, my understanding is that it went pretty well.

We have a centralized team of five to ten people that handle deployment and maintenance on this and many other solutions within the company.

The solution is pricey. If cost is a problem, users should look at Linux.

We paid for the solution one time and don't have any recurring fees.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user and a customer.

We are using the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with the product.

I would recommend the solution, however, I don't really need to. People prefer Microsoft. It's not me recommending the solution that will make people buy it. It is already a market leader and it doesn't require any help remaining so.

Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable with great updates and an easy user experience
  • "It offers an easy user experience for our customers."
  • "Users should be able to access the system remotely."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution alongside a system center configuration manager. I am installing it on mobile devices to upgrade and update the security.

What is most valuable?

The solution is modern and updated often.

It offers an easy user experience for our customers.

We find the product to be quite stable.

You can scale the solution easily when you need to.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by simultaneously adding more features and also giving the user more ability to decrease some features to help keep the speed of the device decent.

Users should be able to access the system remotely.

The solution should be more responsive and faster.

It would be helpful if the solution was able to integrate better with other platforms, like Android or Apple.

I've been using the solution for five years.

The solution is quite stable. We don't seem to have any bugs or glitches on the system. It doesn't crash or freeze at all. I consider it to be reliable.

The solution is highly scalable. From Windows 7 to 8 to 10, you can upgrade at any time and you can add storage and remote access. A company that needs to expand it shouldn't have any issues.

Currently, we have more than 3,000 uses on the product. We do plan to increase usage int eh future.

We've used technical support in the past and have found them to be very knowledgable and responsive. I'd rate them nine out of ten in terms of the service they provide.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward.

Deployment took about three years. We had to upgrade many files from Windows 7 to Windows 10. There were some minor issues with the process, however, we were able to overcome them.

We have four people on staff that handle deployment and maintenance.

There are different licenses available, however, I don't know what the costs are. It's not a part of the solution I handle.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

I'd recommend the solution. I believe a lot of people and companies already use it, to be honest. However, I do need to pay more for monitoring and to fix some issues related to the product.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

Graduate Trainee at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up with good technical support and excellent scalability
  • "Technical support is available 24/7 and we find them to be helpful."
  • "The solution could always be more secure, even though I am quite happy with its level of security at the moment."

What is our primary use case?

The product is basically used to run all of your products. It's an operating system. It's the platform of my choice, and I've never used any other OS. I'd describe its use as basically a facilitator of all the platforms that I work with.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly and extremely easy to use. It's intuitive and easy.

The scalability of the product is excellent.

Technical support is available 24/7 and we find them to be helpful.

It's easy to install the solution.

What needs improvement?

We've been using the solution for more than five years at this point. We started using the solution around the time it first came out. It's been a while.

The scalability of the product is excellent. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's relatively easy to do.

Pretty much everyone at our organization uses it. It's fairly widespread.

We've dealt with technical support in the past. We don't have one-on-one support, however, they are online all the time, allowing you to connect 24/7. We have found them to be helpful and responsive and we are satisfied with the level of service that is provided to us.

I have not used another solution. This is the only OS that I have experience with.

The installation is not overly complex or difficult. It's quite simple and very straightforward.

The deployment is relatively quick. The installation only takes maybe two to three hours.

I'm able to handle the installation process myself. It's not difficult. I didn't need to enlist the assistance of a consultant or integrator, for example.

You do need to purchase a license from Microsoft. We paid for it just once, and not monthly or yearly. I can't speak to the exact price that we pay.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the latest version of the solution. It gets updates directly from Microsoft.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. I've been quite happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend it to other users and other organizations.

IT Manager – Information Technology Office at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Offers helpful technical support, is easy to use, and has a simple initial setup
  • "The interface is easy to use."
  • "I would prefer it if the solution was cheaper."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my personal needs. I use it for browsing the internet and things like that. It's fairly basic usage.

What is most valuable?

I'm generally using the solution as it is the latest option from Microsoft and I prefer the most up-to-date products with the latest features.

The updates are good and not particularly invasive.

The interface is easy to use. Overall, it's quite good and easy to navigate.

The initial setup is not difficult. It's pretty straightforward.

I have found the solution to be quite stable.

Technical support has always been helpful.

What needs improvement?

There is nothing particularly unique or special about the solution.

For security reasons, they should continue to update certain aspects. It would make the solution safer in the long run.

The stability could always be strengthened.

I would prefer it if the solution was cheaper.

I've used the solution from the beginning - since it launched. It's been many years.

I've never faced any issues with stability. For my usage, I have found it to be very reliable. there are no bugs or glitches. it doesn't crash or freeze.

That said, stability could always be a bit better.

I only use the solution on my PC. I have not attempted to scale the product. I wouldn't be able to really determine how scalable it is.

I have no plans to increase usage.

While I haven't contacted technical support for myself, I have for my business, and I have found Microsoft support to be helpful and responsive. I'm satisfied with the level of support I have gotten.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The solution is a bit expensive, and it would always be preferable if it didn't cost as much as it does.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a Windows 10 user. I use it on my own personal PC as well as at work.

We are using the latest version of the solution. We use the most up-to-date as we routinely update the product.

The system, as it is right now, is sufficient for my purposes.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

At this time, finding that it meets my needs, I would rate the product at a nine out of ten.

Venkateswarlu Paturu
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to use with good productivity tools and good support
  • "The most valuable features are ease of use, usability, and user-friendliness."
  • "As a user, I should have a facility that I can secure an entire folder with a password."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the use of productivity tools such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. These are very popular and I don't see any alternatives.

There are some open-source, and even Mac has good products.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use, usability, and user-friendliness. These are great from the Office products perspective.

From an organization's perspective, we use Office 365 cloud version for the office, which is excellent.

It's quite straightforward and has all of the features that I was looking for.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas that need some clarity, is when trying to secure a specific folder between the file system with a password. I am not sure if it is possible.

As a user, I should have a facility that I can secure an entire folder with a password. This is a feature that I would like to be added to the Windows System.

Also, It could be more secure.

When I first purchased my laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 in 2013 or 2014, then when Windows 10 was released it was automatically updated.

It's a very stable product.

I am not using it extensively.

In our organization, we have approximately 200 people.

I am not sure of the exact number of internal users, but all of the laptops and desktops have Windows 10 installed.

The need is always there on a daily basis.

I have had some very basic issues that I needed some additional help with. They were formulas in Excel and the support was very helpful.

Microsoft technical support is good and the documentation is very good. It's very helpful.

I have used Ubuntu for some time and also OpenOffice. Office products are superior to OpenOffice and other products.

I was not a part of the installation, but from what I understand it was straightforward.

When I purchased my laptop, it was already installed.

I completed the upgrade myself.

Windows 10 is licensed. It was included with the purchase of my laptop.

What other advice do I have?

When I spend time on documentation, this is a very good application to use.

I would recommend using Windows 10 to anyone who is interested in implementing this solution.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

IT Business Relationship Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to install with an intuitive interface that works well on tablets
  • "The solution is easy to install. Even my child could set up the system."
  • "It would be great if the solution was more stable. It's a mass-produced product and people around the world use it extensively, which makes it a target for attacks. It needs better security against hackers."

What is most valuable?

We like the solution as it offers basic functionality and you don't need to be an expert to use it.

The solution supports touch screens, which is useful for me, as I utilize touchscreen devices often. It supports tablets, for example, which is great.

It's a massively popular product. About 80% of the operating systems in the world are Microsoft Windows.

The solution is easy to install. Even my child could set up the system.

The interface is intuitive and very self-explanatory. It's easier to use than Mac or Linux.

The product offers very good instructions.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more resilient against viruses. Apple computers, for example, are great in this sense.

The solution could be more lightweight. The OS should be built lighter. Users shouldn't have to buy the highest-end processor or devices in order to run the OS smoothly. There should be less demand on the hardware.

They could build or create an operating system that's less powerful than now. Currently, every year, we have to buy new devices just to have the best of Microsoft Windows products. If you want to have the best SharePoint, you have to add RAM. You have to have more and more powerful machines, just to have it run properly. It's demanding on the consumer. There are too many upgrades that are necessary and they happen too often.

We've been using the solution since its first release. It's been a while now.

The solution in my opinion isn't very stable. It's vulnerable to attacks.

The initial setup was very straightforward. We didn't have any trouble at all. I simply asked the customer center to set up my particular version. There are no admin privileges on my work laptop, so I don't have authority to add anything, therefore I needed their assistance.

What other advice do I have?

We're Microsoft customers.

We're always on the latest version of the solution. Part of our security policy requires us to be on the latest update at all times.

We have a patch server that will deploy the latest patches, with updates to the clients, to regular machines.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. If it was more stable and offered better data protection, I would rate it higher.