We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Professional Member at a tech company with 1-10 employees
Beneficial multi-homing feature and straightforward installation
  • "I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution."
  • "I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified."

What is most valuable?

I have found that the multi-homing feature is very valuable in VMware vSAN. It is an easy-to-use solution.

What needs improvement?

I have used the VMware Replication but I can't get it to work properly. The process should be simplified.

I have been using VMware vSAN for a couple of years.

VMware vSAN is stable.

I have not contacted support.

The Initially setup is easy. We have only three or four hosts. However, I might need to use some more services. A larger environment requires more hosts.

I have been told that if I used VxRail it would be cheaper than the system we are using now with buying the products separately. The solution is expensive overall.

In my company have some new consultant technicians who have more experience in the bigger setups. They suggest that I look at the VxRail solution.

We have been evaluating VMware Horizon and we are thinking about using it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Systems Engineer at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
It is stable and easy to work with, but it is expensive

What is our primary use case?

We have around 70 to 100 VMs, and we use VMware vSAN to store our data. We have a lot of daily data.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to work with, easy to handle, and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be improved. It is too expensive for our clients.

I have been using this solution for around a year.

It is quite stable.

We didn't increase our storage.

Their technical support is really helpful. They are very efficient. I didn't have any problem.

Its initial setup is not difficult.

What's

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is easy to work with, easy to handle, and easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

Its price could be improved. It is too expensive for our clients.

I have been using this solution for around a year.

It is quite stable.

We didn't increase our storage.

Its initial setup is not difficult.

It is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution to implement if you have a lot of data. It is quite stable and not too difficult to manage.

I would rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten. It is a good solution, but it is too expensive.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Rizki Ardiansyah
IT Coordinator at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A stable solution, but is overpriced and could have faster replication and compression features
  • "The solution is stable."
  • "While I like the replication and compression features, there is a problem with them running too slowly."

What needs improvement?

The user-friendliness could be better.

The solution is quite pricey in comparison with other products, such as HP or Cisco.

While I like the replication and compression features, there is a problem with them running too slowly. This is not of benefit to the customers, but it is important when it comes to migrating.

I've been using VMware vSAN for around two years.

The solution is stable.

It is difficult for me to comment on the technical support, as we are not the customer or user.

The complexity of the initial setup varies with the customer.

In comparison with other solutions, such as HP or Cisco, I find the solution to be quite pricey.

HP and Cisco have lower priced solutions than VMware vSAN, which I find to be quite pricey.

What other advice do I have?

I think I am satisfied with the product. I would say it is so so.

I rate VMware vSAN as a seven out of ten.

Maan Othman
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Simple, very stable, but needs easier implementation and better pricing

What is our primary use case?

It is inside the data center as software-defined storage for the infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing is the simplicity of the product. It is a well-established product with good stability.

What needs improvement?

Its installation should be easier, and its price should be cheaper.  It would be good for the product if they can include the data locality feature.

It has good stability.

It is scalable. We have around ten customers of this solution.

Their technical support is fine.

It is neither easy nor complicated. It is…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its installation should be easier, and its price should be cheaper.

It would be good for the product if they can include the data locality feature.

It has good stability.

It is scalable. We have around ten customers of this solution.

Their technical support is fine.

It is neither easy nor complicated. It is in-between. The deployment took one to two days. You need one to two engineers for its deployment and maintenance.

It is expensive. It should be cheaper.

It has a perpetual license as well as a subscription-based license, but they are moving towards subscription-based licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Solutions Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, reliable, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data storage virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, they can bring in the object storage capabilities to this solution. Currently, there is not any compatibility.

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

Technical support could be better for this solution, the response time is too slow.

The initial setup is easy but the deployment can take some time, approximately six hours.

We did…

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for data storage virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a couple of years.

I have found the solution to be stable.

We did the implementation of the solution and we do not need many technicians for the implementation.

I would like to use more advanced models of the solution but the price needs to be reduced. There are some extra costs for this solution including a license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Head of Professional Solutions at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Very integrated and is scalable

What is our primary use case?

VMware vSAN is software-defined storage. I think that says it all. You don't have to buy additional external storage, and you can manage all the storage entities from the console. That's very important to our customers.

What is most valuable?

vSAN is very integrated.

What needs improvement?

Ease of administration is one area where vSAN could be improved.

We've been using vSAN for probably four to five years.

For our purposes, vSAN's stability is okay.

vSAN is scalable.

As far as I know, any VMware tickets that we've escalated have been handled…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

vSAN is very integrated.

What needs improvement?

Ease of administration is one area where vSAN could be improved.

We've been using vSAN for probably four to five years.

For our purposes, vSAN's stability is okay.

vSAN is scalable.

As far as I know, any VMware tickets that we've escalated have been handled professionally. and their support team is very skilled.

It's straightforward. Because we are deploying it from the VxRail global setup, there is no dedicated vSAN setup that we are providing. It's all integrated into the VxRail setup. However, installing vSAN itself can be quite complex if you're doing it from scratch.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vSAN eight out of 10. I would recommend it to others.

System Engineer at GoVirtual
Overall good functionality, straightforward installation, and reliable

What is our primary use case?

I provide a workshop for VMware vSAN to the final customers. For example, in Chile, I installed the solution for a company called NG. I have customers in Colombia, Mexico, and Argentina. VMware vSAN is used as a storage solution.

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSAN could improve by having better integration with other vendors and the storage is limited, I prefer it to the traditional storage.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately 10 years.

VMware vSAN is scalable.

The…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is very good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately 10 years.

VMware vSAN is scalable.

The installation is straightforward. I have developed an automatic script that can install the solution which has been very good for customers.

I do the implementation and maintenance of the solution. Additionally, I support those who are wanting to do the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution.

I rate VMware vSAN a ten out of ten.

Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Lets you efficiently use hardware resources, but the UI needs work

What is our primary use case?

The vSAN is similar to other VMware products that are quite popular in Thailand. Everyone uses virtualization to more efficiently utilize hardware resources. That's the main point of vSAN and VMware.

What needs improvement?

The UI falls short compared to other solutions. It needs some development to make it more user-friendly.

I've been using vSAN for six years.

vSAN isn't easy to install, because it's separate from VMware. You have to install vSAN and monitoring separately. Configuration is not straightforward. You have to define the policy first and then allocate through the virtual machine.

We used the VMware professional team to…

What needs improvement?

I've been using vSAN for six years.

We used the VMware professional team to install, and it took them around two days. After it was deployed, we used one engineer to maintain the system.

The license for vSAN is a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vSAN seven out 10.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.