Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Easy to install, scalable, and stable
  • "We have found the solution to be very scalable."
  • "The price for the hard drive, for vSAN, is very expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for data storage for the virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable.

We have found the solution to be very scalable.

For VMware, it's almost perfect.

The installation is straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The cost of the product is very high. The price for the hard drive, for vSAN, is very expensive.

We've just recently deployed the solution. It's been about two or three months or so. It hasn't been that long.

VMware vSAN
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability and performance of the solution are good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been very good so far, although we haven't used it for very long.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

At this time, the administration team for the vSAN infrastructure is just three people.

We do not get support via VMware. We get it through our local integrator.

We did not previously use any other solution.

The initial setup is easy. It's not overly complex or difficult.

You need to do it as one complete infrastructure. It maybe takes one hour.

We had an integrator assist us with the implementation process.

The price of the product is very high. We want to rescale it, however, it's expensive to do so.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We have been pleased with its capabilities so far.

I would recommend VMware. The vSAN is just part of VMware.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Deploys on any server or hardware, reliable, and good overall support
  • "One of the valuable features of vSAN is it has a universal type of technology that allows you to deploy it on any server or hardware. Competitors, such as Nutanix, provides the AOS and can be deployed only on certified hardware. For vSAN, it does not require any kind of certified hardware."
  • "In a future release, they could add micro-segmentation or security level features integrated into vSAN."

What is our primary use case?

We have a lab setup using VMware vSAN which is on Nutanix. We are using the vSAN for testing purposes and attempting to answer some questions. For example, how will the application be supported, how will the exit configuration be, and what would happen in terms of failures.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features of vSAN is it has a universal type of technology that allows you to deploy it on any server or hardware. Competitors, such as Nutanix, provides the AOS and can be deployed only on certified hardware. For vSAN, it does not require any kind of certified hardware.

Additionally, the dashboards and user interface provide a lot of details.

What needs improvement?

In a future release, they could add micro-segmentation or security level features integrated into vSAN.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

We have never had any kind of hardware issues or problems. The solution is stable.

The technical was responsive and was helpful. There is a lot of documentation online if we need assistance.

The initial setup was complex.

We had assistance doing the implementation from the vSAN engineers.

This solution is expensive.

Nutanix provides us with Acropolis Operating System (AOS) along with its hardware, while VMware provides vSAN, vCenter, and vSphere which all have separate licenses and costs.

We have evaluated Nuranix and HPE.

What other advice do I have?

If you have storage, separate servers, or any kind of traditional architecture you can convert it to FCI with vSAN. It is a very simple and easy-to-use solution.

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

VMware vSAN
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Total hyperconverged facility
  • "The valuable feature of the solution is the total hyperconverged facility."
  • "The solution functions as the marketing says, as long as you follow certain rules."

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature of the solution is the total hyperconverged facility. And that either it's hyperconverged, or it's standalone with storage arrays.

What needs improvement?

From the implementer side, the solution is very comparable to Nutanix. The only difference is that VMware requires more initial nodes.

I've been working with VMware for fifteen years.

Regarding the scalability of the solution, you've got 64 nodes into a stretched cluster for VMware. Nutanix goes a little bit above. The only problem is that due to licensing things, such as when you have Oracle and other things, what you tend to do is multiple clusters in order to avoid licensing costs.

The biggest network I have implemented was 16 nodes.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others looking into implementing VMware vSAN is to stick to the rules. That's where the problem is. If you don't stick to the rules and prerequisites, you end up having a nightmare.

People have a tendency to take hyper-converged solutions for granted. They function as the marketing says, as long as you follow certain rules. If those rules are not followed, you end up with a slower infrastructure than you ever had before.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten because it lacks flexibility. Those rules I'm talking to you about, how you have to follow the prerequisites, that is well hidden, is that you can't do what you want. You don't have total freedom. You have to respect the rules and that's why respecting the rules sometimes is a burden.

They always recommend that nodes are the same type, have the same disk structure, and if you change some disk structures, you have to change them on all the nodes. Although somewhere it's understandable, it's a burden. It should not happen.

Senior Expert Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Load times and hardware re-synchronization needs improvement, but saves on hardware
  • "The most valuable feature of VMware vSAN is you do not have to use additional hardware for storage. The operation of VMware vSAN does not take a lot of effort. If you have VMware technology on your site, then it's easy for the operational support of the system."
  • "VMware vSAN could improve by having faster reload time and a single point of failure. Resynchronization of many hardware could be better. If you have an outage of a disc or a full system, the replication time is too slow. This has room for improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using VMware vSAN for many purposes, such as NVI workload, edge computing, open run 5G for large customers, onsite installations, and low latency systems like mobile edge computing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of VMware vSAN is you do not have to use additional hardware for storage. The operation of VMware vSAN does not take a lot of effort. If you have VMware technology on your site, then it's easy for the operational support of the system.

The orchestration is well integrated into the stack of the VMware management suite.

What needs improvement?

VMware vSAN could improve by having faster reload time and a single point of failure. Resynchronization of many hardware could be better. If you have an outage of a disc or a full system, the replication time is too slow. This has room for improvement.

I have used VMware vSAN for approximately three years.

The stability is satisfactory, it has been working well.

VMware vSAN is scalable, it is easy to scale out.

The number of people that use the solution can be anywhere from 1,000 to 10,000,000 depending on the customer.

We are one of the largest customers on the site for this kind of usage worldwide, and the support is very good. We have direct access to the development, R&D, and third-level support, they are very good.

The cost of VMware vSAN is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

A good solution should be small and fast and at the moment VMware vSAN is the best product that can solve our use cases.

I rate VMware vSAN a five out of ten.

Devendra-Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Ease of integration is key in addition to a very good VCG notification feature
  • "Very good VCG notification feature."
  • "Reporting currently depends on third party applications and that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to host our hyperconverged solutions. I'm a project manager and team leader and we are implementers of this solution. We carry out everything from implementation to rollout. We are customers of VMware vSAN.

What is most valuable?

The VCG notification feature is key for me.

What needs improvement?

We faced some latency issues but it's been a little better lately. I'd like to see a single dashboard product and an improvement in reporting which currently depends on third party applications.

I've been using this solution for almost seven years.

It's relatively stable now although we had some issues in the past.

The solution is scalable, we have around 5,000 users. I think there are about 15 people in the company who deal with monitoring, management, and implementation.

We had a very good team early on so we were not dependent on Microsoft or VMware to help mitigate issues.

We previously used Nutanix and I was very happy using Prism. We ended up with vSAN following a bidding process.

The initial setup took around 15 months. It was reasonably simple but there were some issues. We migrated around 150 VMs with applications on them.

We have a deal with them so we don't pay for individual licenses, it's a complete solution with an overall license.

What other advice do I have?

There are many similar solutions on the market. With VMware you get ease of integration because any new product they bring to the market has VMware.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

MinaMagdy - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Infrastructure Solutions Specialist at Fiber Misr
Good replication, deduplication, and compression features, with remarkable support
  • "The most valuable features are Erasure Coding, Deduplication and Compression, and the advancement in stretching regarding replication."
  • "They should provide Deduplication and Compression over the hybrid drives."

What is our primary use case?

We are service providers.

vSan is a system with defined storage, it doesn't work on a public cloud. It works and is built in your private cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are Erasure Coding, Deduplication, and Compression, and the advancement in stretching regarding replication.

What needs improvement?

They should provide Deduplication and Compression over the hybrid drives. The Deduplication and Compression are locally only on all flash drives.

When you compare with Nutanix, you will find the performance in the Deduplication and Compression is over hybrid and on the flash drives. This feature is needed in vSan.

I have been working with VMware vSan for five years.

We are using the latest version.

VMware vSAN is very stable.

It's scalable up to 96 nodes. We have over 500 users in our company who are using this solution.

VMware technical support is remarkable.

We did not work with a similar software preciously. We were working with traditional solutions such as storage, and servers, but not software-defined storage like vSAN.

The vSAN is very easy to deploy.

To deploy a full cluster in a data center, can take four hours.

We are all engineers. We don't need a team to maintain this solution, as everyone services themselves.

The price could be lower. vSAN has many versions with standard and advanced including Enterprise and Enterprise Plus. Regarding the Enterprise and the Advanced, it could be lower.

Private Cloud
Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Extremely reliable, provides good performance and agility
  • "Good performance, reliable and agile."
  • "Licensing costs are a little too high for smaller sized companies."

What is our primary use case?

We sell and deploy this solution for our customers in a variety of settings from small data centers to big data analytics clusters. Most recently, we have deployed vSAN for VDI solution. We are VMware partners and I'm a solutions architect.

What is most valuable?

I like the reliability of this product because we can lose more than one host, more than one disk, and everything still works okay. It's also good on performance and agility. You can change and add things without any issues.

What needs improvement?

It would help if the cost of the solution was reduced for smaller sized companies.

We've been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution.

Scalability is good. We had a customer who bought five hosts a year ago and this year they expanded their infrastructure to 12 hosts, and everything was fine.

I think the support is very good. They figured out what the issue was and responded very quickly. The problems we had were from a network perspective, nothing to do with the solution.

The initial setup is very simple and doesn't take long, perhaps two to five days.

The license is perpetual and there is an additional payment for technical support which is an annual subscription fee. I think it could be cheaper, especially for smaller companies. It's okay for big deployments with a lot of servers and high level of input-output IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

I like this solution very much and I would recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Muzamil Yakub - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Infoview Limited
Frequent feature updates, beneficial webinars, and simple to manage
  • "The most valuable features of VMware vSAN are that it receives updates frequently, has good compression, optimized storage, and they provide webinars on what is new. Additionally, the integration with third-party products is good and it is easy to manage."
  • "Customers who are using Essentials Plus or even Essentials have to pay for technical support. However, they should not have to pay for support."

What is our primary use case?

We are using VMware vSAN for data center virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has benefited our organization from all the consolidation features, such as disaster recovery and backups.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware vSAN are that it receives updates frequently, has good compression, optimized storage, and they provide webinars on what is new. Additionally, the integration with third-party products is good and it is easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately seven years.

The solution is highly stable.

VMware vSAN is scalable.

We have approximately 20 to 30 customers using this solution.

The support is very good. However, there are times it could be quicker.

I have worked with other solutions, such as Hyper-V and Citrix. Our preference is always VMware.

The initial implementation is straightforward. The time of installation can vary, it depends. If you're looking at virtualizing a host only, it can be done in five minutes.

We use one engineer for the installation and maintenance of the solution.

There is a license required for this solution, it is a one-time payment. However, if they want support for the solution, it can be paid annually or for three years.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN a nine out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022