IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Mohammed_Sajid - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Network Administrator at Al Babtain LeBLANC
Good application filtering, anti-spam, and IPS features
  • "The interface is user-friendly."
  • "We have had some issues with technical support, which is an area that needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Cyberoam UTM as our centralized gateway and it is useful for web filtering, application filtering, anti-spam, and IPS.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the IPS and anti-spam functionality. The application filter is also very good.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Web filtering capability that allows the blocking of web sites needs to be implemented.

Support for cloud security sandboxing would be a helpful addition to this product.

I have worked with Sophos Cyberoam UTM for about 10 years.

Sophos Cyberoam UTM
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Sophos Cyberoam UTM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Cyberoam is mostly stable but sometimes there are bugs. During such periods, we have resolved the issues by either rolling back firmware or updating.

Overall, it is a good experience in terms of stability and performance.

We have not had the requirement to scale because it has been more than enough for us. We have about 300 users and have not had any issues in terms of performance.

The speed of response from technical support is very good. However, the solution that they gave us was not working afterward. We implemented the solution and did not get the desired result.

We did not use another similar product prior to Cyberoam.

It is very easy to implement and configure.

Our in-house team was responsible for the deployment.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

This product is going to be at the end of life this year, so we are going to be looking at other devices and other vendors. The best product that we have tested so far is from Fortinet. My second choice would be Sophos UTM.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that if Cyberoam continues in the future then it is a product I recommend. However, my understanding is that the product will no longer be available next year.

For people who want to migrate from Cyberoam, the best option that we have seen so far is from Fortinet.

Network & System Administration at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly portal, easy to scale, stable, and good price
  • "Its portal is user-friendly. I am able to manage the user data and access control through this device."
  • "It should have better VPN protection. Some of the VPN applications are not blocked by this firewall. Some VPNs are able to get through this firewall, which is why I am planning to replace this firewall with a good one in the near future."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it as a firewall for getting the internet for our users. I am using CR100i, which is an old model. I am going to replace this one.

What is most valuable?

Its portal is user-friendly. I am able to manage the user data and access control through this device.

What needs improvement?

It should have better VPN protection. Some of the VPN applications are not blocked by this firewall. Some VPNs are able to get through this firewall, which is why I am planning to replace this firewall with a good one in the near future.

I have been using this solution for the last five years.

It is stable.

It is easy to scale. There are no problems or issues with it.

We have two administrators and 200 users. Out of these, 70 users are contract users.

We didn't face any issues with it so far.

I have used Cisco ASA, which is a different product. This is a UTM device, whereas Cisco ASA is purely a firewall. Some of the features that are available in this solution, such as user activities, user values management, and user time active, are not there in Cisco ASA.

Its initial setup is simple.

The first installation was done by the integrator. In terms of maintenance, at one time, there was a problem with the hardware of the device, and a memory part wasn't configured. They had replaced this memory. That was the only issue we had.

It is a cheap firewall. We are not paying for any license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It is a good solution for an entry-level firewall. It is not suitable for large data center networks.

I would rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM a nine out of ten.

Sophos Cyberoam UTM
July 2022
621,548 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Abayomi  Ajisefinni - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Officer at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Easy to use, provides VPN capabilities, and improves our network security
  • "The user interface is well laid out and understandable."
  • "Sometimes, users are timed out intermittently."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Cyberoam for securing our network. We also use it for VPN.

What is most valuable?

It is not possible for anyone to enter our network until after they are able to log in, which is the most fascinating aspect for me.

The user interface is well laid out and understandable.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, users are timed out intermittently.

We have had trouble logging into the firmware.

We have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for almost 10 years.

This is a stable product.

Cyberoam UTM is a scalable solution. Everyone on our network uses it, so it protects the whole organization. There are perhaps 300 or 400 people.

The customer support is wonderful. We only had to contact Sophos once. They helped us and it was awesome.

The first time you configure the device, you may find it complex. However, in time, you will see that it is simple. It's well laid out and fine to use. The deployment will take approximately a week.

We implemented in-house and when we experienced problems, we contacted the reseller to assist.

We paid for a two-year FullGuard license that includes support.

Cyberoam will be reaching end-of-life in two years, so we will be moving to something else. We think that if we upgrade to Sophos XG, some of the problems that we are having could go away.

What other advice do I have?

Our experience with this product so far has been wonderful. Everything about it is fine and I would recommend it to everyone. That said, there is always improvement that one can make at all times.

Hybrid Cloud
Muhammad_Irfan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Network Administrator at ACMC
Integratable, easy setup, good for medium business, but has firewall limitation
  • "The solution is easy to integrate."
  • "I had an issue when I was trying to stop a user from using too much bandwidth while I was using Azure, I was not able to stop them."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution mostly internally for security, a firewall and internet. We have a lot of users with many user policies. Additionally, we use it for a DOS-specific file exchange.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to integrate.

What needs improvement?

I had an issue when I was trying to stop a user from using too much bandwidth while I was using Azure, I was not able to stop them. You normally can just right click and block them but in this solution, it was not working in the firewall settings.

I have been using the solution for 10 years.

I was running the solution for seven years and I did not have issues. I would rate the stability a four out of five.

For a medium-sized organization, the scalability was good.

The support was good. Whenever I needed to contact to support to create tickets, they contact me within a reasonable time and they resolved the issues.

The setup was easy.

On a yearly basis, it cost me approximately $1,500. While having 400 users and comparing the price to other solutions, what I was paying yearly was good.

What other advice do I have?

Cyberoam is going to end this year. They already have announced last year if you are an enterprise and have the support it will end.

What I have learned from using this solution is when choosing another product in the future I will do more technical feature comparisons. Having done the comparisons I most likely would not have been having some of the issues I was having because I would have gone with another solution.

I rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Samaila Yusuf - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Officer at a non-profit with 201-500 employees
Good interface and seamless technical support, and the control options for live users are valuable
  • "The most valuable features are the firewall section, the VPN, and how you control live users."
  • "I would like to see real-time alerts on traffic insights."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to serve as a captive portal for staff to authenticate before they gain access to the network.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the firewall section, the VPN, and how you control live users.

The interface is good.

What needs improvement?

So far, I have not encountered any problems.

I am not happy with my last pricing experience. The pricing could be better.

I would like to see real-time alerts on traffic insights.

I have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for three years.

It's a stable product. We have not experienced any crashes or bugs.

I haven't tried to scale it yet.

I have contacted technical support once and the experience was seamless. They walked me through the right rules to create. Everything went well.

The initial setup was a bit complex. Over time, I grew and I could navigate around everywhere. It's pretty easy to find what you are looking for.

The implementation only takes a couple of hours to complete.

We used an agent to help us with the implementation.

We do all of the maintenance in-house.

For any solution that has to pass through Sophos, we do the firewall configuration ourselves.

I am not happy with the pricing, it could be better.

We did not evaluate other solutions because we knew that we wanted to use this one.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I could recommend to others if they had a direct contact with Sophos.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Solutions Consultant at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
A stable security solution, but the interface needs improvement because it is not user-friendly
  • "The product, itself, doesn't seem to have any bugs or glitches."
  • "Cyberoam UTM needs to have more certifications with third-parties, such as NSS Labs."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service provider and Sophos Cyberoam UTM is one of the security products that we have experience with, in that capacity. It is primarily used for layer three gateway protection.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a managed service, which means that the customer does not need to purchase hardware and employ a system integrator to install it. Rather, they just have to subscribe to it. The service includes reports that we provide to the clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the layer three gateway protection.

What needs improvement?

The GUI is not very user-friendly and should be improved. One of our customers had trouble with the configuration and needed somebody to help manage it for them.

The vendor needs to generally invest more in the development of this product.

The product, itself, doesn't seem to have any bugs or glitches. However, one of our customers had a lot of trouble with it because it wasn't being managed.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

We recently had a customer that was using this product, although we later persuaded them to switch to the Fortinet product, FortiGuard UTM. The suitability of Cyberoam UTM depends on the required sizing.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, I don't think that Sophos Cyberoam UTM is a friendly product to work with, and I would recommend the solution by Fortinet instead.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It works fine but needs a better VPN client
  • "It has been working fine. You just turn it on, and it works."
  • "It should have a better VPN client. We decided to find something different than Cyberoam because of the VPN client software. It would be nice to have a user interface not only in English but also in different languages."

What is our primary use case?

It is the gateway to the internet connection in our company.

What is most valuable?

It has been working fine. You just turn it on, and it works.

What needs improvement?

It should have a better VPN client. We decided to find something different than Cyberoam because of the VPN client software.

I have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for ten years.

It is stable. There have been no problems with it.

I don't have any experience with technical support because we did not use technical support.

It was quite easy to configure this device. There was a very nice Cyberoam knowledge base on the internet, so it was quite easy to configure the whole device.

We ordered the device, and our partner commissioned it. We manage it ourselves. There are two persons responsible for the network setup in our company.

It is not cheap.

What other advice do I have?

We are in the process of changing the firewall in our company. We have been using Sophos Cyberoam UTM for ten years, and now the device is quite old. It has been working fine, and we are looking for new equipment only because of the age of this device. We have requirements for features like filtering, VPN connections, and we are trying to find the best solution for our requirements at a reasonable price.

I would rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM a five out of ten.

Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Effective load balancer, easy to use, but needs better documentation
  • "The main features I have found best are the load balancer and ease of use."
  • "In my experience the solution can be easier to configure with more documentation, we need more training."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution as a firewall to protect my network and the two main computers for our website.

What is most valuable?

The main features I have found best are the load balancer and ease of use.

What needs improvement?

I have been using the solution for a short time.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. We had approximately 500 users using the solution.

I was using Kerio Control before this solution and I liked some of the features but we only used it for a short time.

The solution was easy to install, it was straightforward. It took approximately three hours to configure it. We have one security and network administrators for the maintenance of the solution.

We have used consultants in the past for the implementation.

There is a license for this solution and it is priced competitively. We paid approximately $2,000 for the license.

What other advice do I have?

We stopped using the solution because we needed more training and the documentation needed improvements.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Sophos Cyberoam UTM a seven out of ten.

Download our free Sophos Cyberoam UTM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: July 2022