IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Principal Associate - CloudOps at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable with good filtering and perfect for SMB-sized companies
  • "The filtering is excellent."
  • "The product likely isn't a good fit for a large organization."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security. It's used as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. It's an excellent product for an SMB. The filtering is excellent. The solution is quite stable. We found the initial setup to be straightforward. You can scale the solution to a certain extent.

What needs improvement?

The product likely isn't a good fit for a large organization. They need to elaborate on their business from a technical point of view.

I've been working with the solution for about four or more years at this point. It's been a while.
SonicWall NSa
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The product scales quite well. There are no bugs. It's not glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze. I find it to be reliable.

You can scale the solution. We haven't used it beyond 1,000 to 1,500 users. Beyond that, I'm not sure what it can handle. I haven't really tried to scale it too much.

I've also used Palo Alto. I used it at my previous organization.

We found the initial setup to be very straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult. A company should have any problem with the process.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user. We don't have a business relationship with SonicWall. I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. While we've been mostly happy with it, it's more for SMBs as opposed to larger organizations. I'd recommend the product to small organizations for sure.
Balaraju K - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at 64network security pvt ltd
Reseller
it has the CFS agent, which isn't available in any other competing solution
  • "SonicWall has all the usual functions, like LAN configurations, security features, word filters, etc., but it also has the CFS agent, which isn't available in any other firewall. Reporting port support is also there."
  • "The thing main thing is that there's no user admin and in other firewalls, we can enable the scalable features, but SonicWall doesn't have that feature."

What is our primary use case?

SonicWall is for general security purposes.

What is most valuable?

SonicWall has all the usual functions, like LAN configurations, security features, word filters, etc., but it also has the CFS agent, which isn't available in any other firewall. Reporting port support is also there.

I also like the ability to manage all the firewalls from a single location. We can support all those things from this application. It's a cloud-based solution.

What needs improvement?

The thing main thing is that there's no user admin and in other firewalls, we can enable the scalable features, but SonicWall doesn't have that feature.

I've used SonicWall for about seven years.

SonicWall NSa is reliable.

It's cloud-based, so the scalability is good, and it's suitable for any size of customer.

SonicWall support is good. I rate it 10 out of 10.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

SonicWall NSa is easy to understand. The initial setup for any firewall is straightforward. Having a single console is also good. The deployment time can vary depending on the client's requirements, like VPNs, routing, policies, load balancing, etc. At most, it will take one hour. I rate it 10 out of 10 for ease of setup. After deployment, SonicWall doesn't require specific maintenance.

We are resellers, so the clients who purchase the firewall deploy it themselves. We provide support, too.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall NSa nine out of 10.

SonicWall NSa
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Project Specialist at integra software
Feature-rich, scalable, stable ,and priced well
  • "We like the features, but the main thing is from a commercial and cost perspective it is very good."
  • "Vendor support needs improvement. The frequency of time and support should be increased."

How has it helped my organization?

SonicWall suits our business, also cost-wise, and commercial-wise. It is in a feasible range for our organization.

What is most valuable?

We like the features, but the main thing is from a commercial and cost perspective it is very good.

The interface is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

Vendor support needs improvement. The frequency of time and support should be increased.

From a vendor perspective, we were expecting more support.

When we experience a technical issue, it should be rectified immediately. We are facing a delay with response and resolution.

I have been using SonicWall NSA for approximately eight years.

SonicWall is stable.

This is a scalable solution.

We have approximately 2,000 users.

We are facing some issues with compatibility. We have moved to the latest version.

Previously, we were using another version and the 5000 model of NSA.

It is fine. It is user-friendly.

It took a month and a half to deploy

We have a dedicated team here. They handle all of our deployment and troubleshooting.

We have a team of six to seven administrators to deploy and maintain this solution.

SonicWall is not an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this version of SonicWall to others who are interested in implementing this solution. This latest version is quite fine.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

CISO at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
A stable perimeter firewall with good support, but it is not scalable
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "The scalability is something that should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the SonicWall NSA as a perimeter firewall to control the traffic flowing in and out of my system. It is also a wireless gateway, it used for traffic shaping, mapping, and publishing certain web tables on the internet.

What needs improvement?

The scalability is something that should be improved.

I have been using the SonicWall NSA firewall for five years.

This is a stable product.

This solution is not scalable. We have approximately 2,000 users.

The technical support is very good.

We also use the Cyberoam 320AI.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took seven or eight days to complete the installation.

The vendor's team completed the initial deployment for us.

We have a team of three engineers who manage the firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

UTM boxes are now obsolete and next-generation firewalls are the things that need to be put into place. Within the next three months, we are going to upgrade to a next-generation firewall.

For an enterprise, I think that I can recommend a SonicWall next-generation firewall. This is a discussion that we are already having with them. For small segments, such as a small office or home office environment, SonicWall is perfect.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

ICT Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A stable and easily installable solution with good configurations, interfaces and user guides
  • "I like the solution's configuration, interfaces, and user guides."
  • "I would like to see better integration."

What is our primary use case?

Used as our Firewall and internet Gateway in our head office and branch office with site to site VPN configured

How has it helped my organization?

Improved our corporate security. we have bandwidth management configured, enable app control

What is most valuable?

I like the solution's configuration, interfaces, and user guides.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration, the easy of bandwidth monitoring.

We've been using SonicWall NSa for six years.

The solution is stable. We have not had any issues in this domain.

Good

I do have experience with technical support. The last time I interacted with them was fine. They handled and resolved my case.

The only other solution I have used is Cisco, although not as extensively as SonicWall NSa. This makes it difficult for me to compare solutions.

The solution is easy to install.

In-house

more than 85%

Cisco, FortiGate

What other advice do I have?

I do recommend the solution, although I have not compared it with other ones.

There are as many as 50 users making use of the solution in my network or gateways.

I rate SonicWall NSa as a nine out of ten.

Amjad Edris - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Support Engineer at Netco Security Solutions
Simple to configure and easy to handle and communicate with
  • "SonicWall NSa's most valuable features are the ease of configuration and the GUI."
  • "An area for improvement would be SonicWall NSa's integration with antiviruses."

What is most valuable?

SonicWall NSa's most valuable features are the ease of configuration and the GUI. It's a web-based application, so we can easily configure all we want in the browser.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be SonicWall NSa's integration with antiviruses. In the next release, SonicWall should include a wireless solution so we can implement the firewall in our networks and for wireless users and access points.

I've been using SonicWall NSa for about two years.

SonicWall NSa is a stable system that's really easy to handle and communicate with.

SonicWall's technical support is very responsive and helpful whenever we need support from them.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Previously, I worked with PMG Firewall, but SonicWall has a higher level of compatibility, and the integration between the software and hardware gives us more speed in traffic and processing the data over the firewall.

The initial setup was easy - we could implement rules for mapping, network traffic, and network address translation easily on our firewall. I would rate the ease of the setup as four out of five.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall NSa is a great choice for any growing company - it's really helpful, and it's suitable for networks with limited or unlimited users. I would rate SonicWall NSa as eight out of ten.

Balaraju K - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at 64network security pvt ltd
Reseller
Flexible, easy to set up and deploy, and the support is excellent
  • "The most valuable features are flexibility, ease of setup, and it's a good product cost-wise."
  • "There are a few areas that need improvement including the VPN, user management, and reporting."

What is our primary use case?

We are a reseller who provides products for our customer.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are flexibility, ease of setup, and it's a good product cost-wise.

What needs improvement?

There are a few areas that need improvement including the VPN, user management, and reporting.

It's a stable solution, we have not had any issues.

There are no issues with scaling this solution. It's a scalable product.

Technical support is excellent.

The initial setup is definitely user-friendly, it's easy.

It only takes an hour to deploy, which includes the configuration.

The pricing is good and we are satisfied with the cost of this solution. They provide good value for the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. The support is good, the product is good, it's easy to deploy and it can be done manually with no assistance from support.

Other than the hardware related issues that can be experienced, it's a good solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Darshil Sanghvi - PeerSpot reviewer
Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Built-in storage, stable, but better reporting needed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for network security in our branch office.

What is most valuable?

One of the main features is the built-in storage capacity.

What needs improvement?

The logging, reporting, and storage capacity size could improve in a future release.

I have been using this solution within the last 12 months.

The stability is good in this solution.

The solution is scalable. There are 200 people using this solution in my companies branch office.

The technical support was very responsive.

I have used SonicWall TZ previously.

The installation was straightforward.

We are on a three-year license for the solution. The price is inexpensive compared to other solutions.

We have evaluated Sophos and Fortinet, SonicWall NSa we found to be much better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to those who have between 150 to 500 users.

I rate SonicWall NSa a seven out of ten.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022