IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
IT Manager at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Plenty of useful features, scalable, and good technical support
  • "The solution has many useful features, such as content management, user management, user filtering, and domain controller connectivity mapping."
  • "The reporting and monitoring are a bit complex and should be easier in SonicWall NSa because other firewalls I have experienced have been more simple, such as Palo Alto. We are able to receive a clear view of our network. As a general user with little experience, it would be difficult for them to handle."

What is our primary use case?

SonicWall NSa can be used as a perimeter and ELAN firewall.

What is most valuable?

The solution has many useful features, such as content management, user management, user filtering, and domain controller connectivity mapping.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SonicWall NSa for approximately seven years.
SonicWall NSa
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have found SonicWall NSa to be stable.

The solution is scalable. We have approximately 180 users using this solution.

The support of the solution has been good. We normally go through our partner support but if anything is outside the limits of their knowledge then it gets passed onto the SonicWall support.

The installation is not easy, you should have a basic understanding of your network and what your requirements are. Generally, the implementation is done by the vendor. We have an external party who used to do the basic configuration. However, the new generation firewalls do not take much time and are easier.

We used an outsourced vendor for the implementation of the solution.  We have approximately two individuals that do the maintenance of the solution.

There is a license required for this solution and you can purchase a one, two, or three year term. Typically businesses choose the one year subscription and then later choose the three year licensing option if they are satisfied.

I have evaluated Palo Alto firewalls.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I rate SonicWall NSa a seven out of ten.

Vinothkumar-Narasimman - PeerSpot reviewer
Cyber Security at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Easy to setup and has great VPN capability
  • "Easy to setup and implement"
  • "Potential improvement around the associated VPN cost"

What is our primary use case?

We have installed this firewall appliance across cloud and on-premises environments, our clients primarily use the VPN functionality.

If a customer wants to use the firewall, they have to pay more money for the cloud. By having a firewall solution, they can configure the VPN through the firewall, enabling them to avoid the high costs. Once you deploy the firewall in the cloud solution, then you will get protection for the gateway as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a service-based company and have implemented over 200 appliances for our customers.

What is most valuable?

The VPN functionality and intrusion prevention service (IPS) are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

I am a technical engineer, I have complete knowledge of SonicWall. I can do all of the configurations for the firewall. We are a service-based company and I handle the different solutions. If they need any requirement or they any action on the firewall then I can do that myself.

The only thing that needs improvement is the VPN because we need to pay to connect the points.

I have been using SonicWall for 5 years.

We have found the NSa appliance to be stable and is comparable to FortiGate.

We have expanded the solution with several of our customers and this worked great. We have over 200 customers who use SonicWall.

Level 1 and 2 support issues are handled by our in-house team, but for more complex, level 3 issues we utilise the vendor. The call response is great.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We are a service-based provider and implement in-house.

We also implement similar appliances from Fortinet and Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's a good security product, so I wouldn’t give it a lower rating.

Hybrid Cloud
SonicWall NSa
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
TanveerBhatti - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at Next Step
Good threat protection, but the UTM needs improvement
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are the GUI pre-filtering and the ATP (advanced threat protection)."
  • "The content ID needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are integrators, but for SonicWall, we use it for a specific project in industrial cybersecurity. It was for ransomware recovery and network restoration.

We did the firewall and the configuration for the ransomware prevention.

Our clients were using it to control the SCADA System in their industry.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the GUI pre-filtering and the ATP (advanced threat protection). Also, the ATP packet capture is helpful. We used these features during our restoration.

What needs improvement?

The content ID needs to be improved. If I compare it with Palo Alto, there are more features in Palo Alto that are not included in SonicWall. For example, PDoS is not available in the current version, that I could find.

They do have DLP and Host protection, but not PDoS.

Also, the IPS and the UTM need to be improved.

I haven't found anything regarding the IoT security in the device security on SonicWall.

I have been working with SonicWall for one year.

We are working with NSA 3600, which is the latest version.

We have no complaints about the model.

The scalability level is medium. They are okay with the model, the throughput, and the traffic rate.

We did not require technical support.

Currently, we are running Palo Alto, Check Point, and SonicWall.

Two or three months ago, we were working with Fortinet FortiGate. We have also used Vyatta.

This solution was not implemented properly.

What other advice do I have?

The AV enforcement feature in SonicWall is limited to only one vendor for antivirus, which is Kaspersky. It's the only antivirus solution that we can enforce through the firewall.

Other vendors provide you with multiple options such as Sophos, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, and Bitdefender.

I would rate SonicWall NSA a six out of ten.

NOC Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reliable, good intrusion detection and protection, and has responsive support
  • "The most valuable features of this solution are intrusion detection, intrusion prevention, and the advanced capture client, which provides live traffic analysis."
  • "It only has a single power interface, which has limitations in terms of high availability."

What is our primary use case?

We use SonicWall NSA for IDS, IPS, Intrusion detection, and intrusion protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are intrusion detection, intrusion prevention, and the advanced capture client, which provides live traffic analysis.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the only issue that has been experienced is with expansion.

The model that we are using cannot expand very well, and the firewall is not able to handle all of them.

They could add some more features.

The current version does not have a duo power interface. It only has a single power interface, which has limitations in terms of high availability. Duo Power is a good feature to have.

The interface is an area that can be improved.

We acquired it in 2017. We have been using SonicWall NSA for four years.

We are using NSA 6600.

SonicWall NSA has been very reliable, mainly because of the ATP Capture Client and the IDS and IPS.

The scalability of SonicWall NSA is good.

We have regular contact with technical support.

When we send a support ticket, they respond to us within the day and resolve the issue.

They have a good response time.

We purchase the license on a yearly basis.

They do have the option to purchase yearly, or two years, and three years of renewal.

I believe the pricing is reasonable. There are some competitors that offer more features but are more expensive.

For organizations and small businesses should choose SonicWall.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to others who are at an enterprise level.

With the features that are offered such as IDS, IPS, and ATP Capture Client, SonicWall is a bit higher than the average firewall.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

Presales Consultant at General Technologies
MSP
Their support is better than most competitors
  • "SonicWall's sales support is much better than other vendors'."
  • "Competitors provide SSL encryption licenses for free, whereas SonicWall only provides two licenses by default, but you have to pay for the rest of the licenses."

What is our primary use case?

SonicWall prevents and restricts access to websites for employees as well as anyone who comes into the office.

What needs improvement?

Most firewalls have active/active high-availability mode. If I'm paying for two firewalls, why shouldn't AI utilize both? It would be better if SonicWall came with n active/active feature instead of active/standby.

I've been working with SonicWall NSa for more than five years.

SonicWall NSa is simple to scale. You can easily add more firewalls to the cluster.

SonicWall's sales support is much better than other vendors'.

Deploying SonicWall NSa is straightforward. A new user can easily configure the firewall. You can usually complete the deployment within a day. Setting up the prerequisites takes about two hours and then it takes some time to deploy the policies. That varies depending on what the customer wants.

Maintenance is primarily configuration-related stuff, and our customers have their own engineers, but we give them advice. One engineer can maintain the solution.

You don't need to pay an annual fee, but any cost matters to the customer. Let's say SonicWall is giving me a firewall at a certain price, while a FortiGate firewall costs the same but offers added features like free SSL and active/active. Then customers might think it's better to buy a FortiGate.

Competitors provide SSL encryption licenses for free, whereas SonicWall only provides two licenses by default, but you have to pay for the rest of the licenses.
However, when most customers go beyond 20 or so users with SSL licenses, they usually go with a dedicated appliance, so a firewall should provide at least 20 to 25 SSL licenses for free.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall NSa eight out of 10.

Owner at it logic
Good stability but the pricing is too high
  • "The stability is better than other products."
  • "The pricing for this product in India is high and the fees should be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We are system integrators and we install products for our customers. It is mainly used in Universities, for corporate use, and in the government sector as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is that this is a one-time purchase with no renewal fees.

The stability is better than other products.

What needs improvement?

The pricing for this product in India is high and the fees should be reduced.

The visual process needs improvement.

Because of the price, our customers prefer PSA. The price is what needs to be addressed in the next release, it's the only that that matters.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

I have been using this solution for approximately 22 years.

This solution is stable.

This is a scalable product. As our customer need increases we plan to increase our usage.

Technical support is good and it is available online as well as offline.

Currently, I am using SonicWall and Wildcard.

The setup process was perfect.

It was straightforward and easy. This is not a complex product at all.

We handle the integration for our customers.

SonicWall is a one-time purchase and there is no renewal license.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution because the price is too high. More than 30% of our customers prefer PSA because of the price.

In summary, the product is good but the price is too high.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Senior Manager Information Technology Infrastructure at a wholesaler/distributor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great support, reasonably-priced, and the VPN facilitates people working from home offices
  • "This product has kept us safe and we haven't had any breaches."
  • "Initially, it may be difficult for some people to learn and become acquainted with it."

What is our primary use case?

This product is the firewall that protects us from attacks from the internet.

How has it helped my organization?

This product has kept us safe and we haven't had any breaches.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us at the moment is the VPN, given that everybody has moved to home offices.

It is easy to integrate.

What needs improvement?

Initially, it may be difficult for some people to learn and become acquainted with it. I have been using it for a long time and find it straightforward to use.

I have been using SonicWall NSA for about 20 years.

SonicWall NSA is very stable. It is refined and well-tested, and it has been around for almost 30 years. It's a proven technology.

Each model scales to a certain point. If you outgrow it, then you buy another version.

Nobody specifically uses this product but every day, all of the company traffic goes through it.

The technical support is great.

At this site, SonicWall NSA is the only firewall that has been used.

I found the initial setup to be straightforward.

The price is reasonable for what it does.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to get some training if it is your first time. It can be a little complex for new users.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Ravinder  Singh - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Administrator at cogniter
Easy and quick to deploy, good stability, and helpful support
  • "SonicWall NSA is easy to deploy, easy to maintain, and easy to configure."
  • "The reporting feature could be better because most of the companies want to have the analytics included, which is something that you have to buy separately."

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company, and we have approximately 100 to 125 users working at the same time. This firewall is part of our security solution and we are planning to upgrade it to a TZ or another NSA model.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the antivirus and reporting.

SonicWall NSA is easy to deploy, easy to maintain, and easy to configure. There are lots of features, which is really good for us

What needs improvement?

We bought our SonicWall NSA between nine and ten years ago.

This is a stable solution, as per our needs. We have not experienced any problems with it.

We have 125 concurrent users at this time.

We are planning to replace the current model with either a TZ or another NSA.

The NSA model is very easy to deploy and it does not take a long time to do.

I deployed it myself. I watched some videos online and then completed the deployment.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis, and we are happy with the pricing. This is one of the reasons that we choose this product.

What other advice do I have?

This is definitely a product that I can recommend to others.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022