Roos Joakim - PeerSpot reviewer
Business System Analyst at a tech company with 201-500 employees
Good logging, offers a single pane of glass for administration, and has effective anti-spam capabilities
  • "Better logging allows us to find problems and take appropriate steps to lock them out."
  • "In the future, I would like to see more plug-and-play capabilities that use AI to tell you what needs to be done. It would be helpful if it scanned our devices and made security suggestions, on a configuration basis."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary reason for implementing this product is to deal with spam email.

How has it helped my organization?

In general, this product helps to best secure our network.

It has features that help to improve our security posture that include better logging and better detection of threats. Since implementing it, we have been finding more malicious emails and files. Better logging allows us to find problems and take appropriate steps to lock them out.

We really like the fact that we have a single web-based pane of glass for administration. We can use our Azure Active Directory accounts to access it, and we don't need a local application.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the anti-spam capabilities.

What needs improvement?

Since implementing this solution, we have had more support calls regarding false positives. This means that we have had to do a little more work finding these issues, although it is getting better. It is just a matter of fine-tuning the system at this point.

The false positives we have experienced so far are rare and have come from customer-specific programs. I can't say that it would be easy for Microsoft to solve them. Fortunately, we have not had any false positives for known software.

In the future, I would like to see more plug-and-play capabilities that use AI to tell you what needs to be done. It would be helpful if it scanned our devices and made security suggestions, on a configuration basis. For example, it could make more suggestions that include specific points, or offer to have something configured in the standard way.

Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using Microsoft Cloud App Security for approximately three months.

Stability-wise, so far, I'm satisfied and it works well. We haven't had any issues that I attribute to Microsoft. There were a couple of days where we had problems logging on but I think that it was related to an issue with SolarWinds. My understanding is that some sites were shut down and a lot of companies had the same problem.

At this point, we have not had the need to scale up or scale down. We have approximately 250 devices that we are protecting.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

We were using F-Secure before implementing Microsoft Cloud App Security, and we are still using it. In fact, it is just another layer of protection. If in the future we see that the Microsoft product is good enough, then we might stop using F-Secure. However, that is not the plan at the moment.

The main reason that we chose this product is for its good compatibility with Office 365 and Azure Active Directory.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. There were some Azure Active Directory options that we needed to tweak before we got everything running properly.

Our deployment took approximately one month to complete. Part of this time was spent adjusting for false positives.

We followed a step-by-step process for deployment where we started with the computers in our location, then moving to other devices. After our location was complete, we moved to other offices.

We set it up with the help of an external consultant. The company sold us the product, set it up, and we use it. We have an ongoing support contract with them. Our experience with them was good and the consultant's knowledge of Microsoft products was very good. They are a Microsoft partner.

We are still learning the product and over time, we are getting more versed in it. There are two of us, myself and my colleague, responsible for the maintenance. We are both system administrators.

The pricing is a little bit high but right now, we are okay with it because of the compatibility with Office 365, Teams, and Azure AD. These features make it worth the cost.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this one.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to get assistance with deployment from somebody who can help you. Don't do it by yourself, if you're not a reseller for it. As a company, get somebody who has experience with the product.

In summary, we have just begun using this product but so far, it works well and we are satisfied with it.

Microsoft Azure
Enterprise System Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
We have become more aware of what services our users are using and how often they are using them
  • "We have become more aware of what services our users are using, how often they are using them, and what data is being sent out of the organization and to which services. So, it is really a lot about visibility and helping us make decisions based on that. It drives some of our policy decisions for adding extra security controls."
  • "They should continue integration with all other Microsoft security-related products. The integration with all the other products is still ongoing."

What is our primary use case?

The use case is for getting visibility over cloud applications that our users are consuming, how they consume it, and using the protection which comes with Cloud App Security with that visibility. It provides monitoring and visibility into cloud apps that our users are using and has ;a layer of security wrapped around that. It identifies malicious activity, if it's occurring, and provides overall protection of our company data from things like data exfiltration and all the other integrations that it has with other Microsoft security products.

It is protecting approximately 800 users. We have four other sources feeding into it from other products that we use. We have several thousand applications for which we get reports and visibility.

It is one of our core tools for monitoring and managing our security posture. In the future, I don't see that changing much. At this stage, I think we are at a good level of how we are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped identify areas where we should improve, make changes to improve, the reason why we should make a change, and the impact of making the change. So, it helps drive us to make changes and see the benefits of those changes.

It has all been very seamless to our users. It indirectly positively impacts them because we are keeping them more secure. No one has been saying, "Because we are using this product, it is slowing me down or causing me problems." As standard users, they wouldn't really need to know that this solution exists. They just rely on us to keep them safe.

What is most valuable?

• Helps us have a view into our overall security posture and how we can improve it.
  • The ability to perform investigations is very useful.
  • Identifying the number of applications, particularly connected via OAuth.
  • Has great, general overall visibility of who is using what and how.
  • We are using it as an indicator for any indicators of compromise that might be coming up.

Identity security posture points out a preset number of security posture improvements, or areas of focus, and whether they are being met. It also points out what changes need to be made in order to meet them. Therefore, we can have better security posture.

There is a feature called security configuration. This is across the whole Microsoft set of products regarding what changes can be done. Specifically within a product, we use it to improve the security posture by making changes.

What needs improvement?

They should continue integration with all other Microsoft security-related products. The integration with all the other products is still ongoing. However, the solution has already begun scaling to meet the needs of getting visibility through from other products as well.

About three years.

The stability has been fantastic. I have no complaints at all. It has been 100%.

The scalability is really good. It has improved while I have been using it. It definitely appears to be able to scale easily and well.

The technical support is very good. They are responsive, knowledgeable, and skilled. We have great communication with them.

This is the only CASB product that I have ever used.

Anecdotally, I believe the initial setup is quite straightforward.

According to the person who originally set up the solution in our organization, but has since left, it was originally straightforward to set up.

My colleague and I share the day-to-day maintenance for one person. It needs only a few hours a day to get a lot out of it.

We have seen ROI. Its main capabilities are:

• The protection that it gives.
  • Visibility
  • The protection for cloud products.
  • It helps with the improvement of our overall security posture.

What other advice do I have?

Make full use of all the options available and focus a lot on policies. There are a lot of policies and alerts available which might not be used to their fullest extent.

We are pretty happy with how it all works and fits together.

I would rate this solution as a solid nine (out of 10). The product is constantly improving. It has a low amount of false positives, i.e., true alerts identified as requiring attention.

Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps
November 2022
656,862 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Planning Manager at a construction company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Robust, straightforward integration with strong capabilities and a vast number of features
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is its monitoring."
  • "Sometimes the support is actually lacking."

What is our primary use case?

They were testing Microsoft Defender and performing some checks with Microsoft Defender. On the Microsoft side of the same security cloud app, I believe.

We have a complete portfolio of election solutions. These election solutions, in general, require a high level of security. There are preparations to have within them, such as cloud apps or websites, or even an off-premise or on-premise type of solution. As a result, we must have both types of services and products in order to secure them. For example, we used the Microsoft denial-of-service attack. It's a software subscription service from Asia that you get for a set period of time.

If you are running a live elections operation, you should seriously consider using such a service from them because it is extremely reliable. It essentially protects your entire environment. So you wouldn't be too concerned about someone hacking into your environment or anything because you need to have results that you should be publishing. That is when having a security system becomes extremely important for you. That's on the app side of things, then, on the web, we publish these results. You must also have a system that will never fail due to an attack. That's also one of the things we usually think about when we have an election operation going on.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its monitoring. The monitoring of the application.

Integration is simple, and you can monitor your applications at the enterprise level. As a result, you can have a holistic view of all applications and their statuses.

It's very robust and it's very good.

The capabilities are very good. It has a lot of features in it, which is why many people recommend it.

What needs improvement?

It's not the cheapest. I believe it can be more reasonably priced.

Sometimes the support is actually lacking. But we are talking about Microsoft.

I have been doing the testing for the past six or eight months.

Because it is a cloud-based solution, I believe that versioning is not a critical factor to consider.

Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps is a stable product.

Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps is scalable.

Sometimes you don't get to the appropriate support channel from the start. When you open a ticket, you don't always get what you're looking for right away. We tend to get stuck in loops or go from one support guy to the next until we escalate. That happens quite frequently. I believe that this is one of the areas that should be looked into.

We have an in-house ABAP development team that works on ABT software. I have heard the technical team conducting this evaluation, but I'm not sure which SAP application they're testing.

The price could be better and should be reconsidered.

We're evaluating Microsoft. We're also looking into SAPs, and other options are being considered at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

From what I've seen, it's a good product. We occasionally encounter some, inefficiencies in its performance. But not all of the time, because our country has a lot of internet problems. As a result, the synchronization side tends to disconnect from time to time. So whenever we get disconnected, it causes some problems. You have to have a good connection after all because it is a cloud service, you must have a good internet connection in order to connect to it. We believe it is one of the best on the market. I believe it is a good option for anyone to use. But, once again, there are other players in the mix, which is why we are always doing some benchmarking and continuing with trials for other solutions.

I would rate Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps an eight out of ten.

Delivery Practice Director at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
MSP
Enables us to sanction applications of our choice and prevent users from using them
  • "The ability to prevent users from using certain applications is one of the most valuable features. It doesn't require any configuration for implementation from the client perspective. It just works right away and gives you the information you need."
  • "I believe it's only set to be integrated with Microsoft Defender for identity and identity protection. I would like to see it available for use with something like Office 365 Defender. I don't think it's integrated with that yet."

What is our primary use case?

One thing our clients want to know is what cloud applications their users are using. When you enable Cloud App Security, you can sweep up all the applications that the endpoint is using, such as Dropbox, Box, or OneDrive.

At Microsoft they use OneDrive and would probably want to restrict it to just that, unless there was a compelling reason to use a third-party application. With Cloud App Security, you can find all the users who are using Dropbox, for example, and then you can sanction those applications and prevent users from using them.

We also use that for alerting and creating policies for notifications and alerts.

What is most valuable?

The ability to prevent users from using certain applications is one of the most valuable features. It doesn't require any configuration for implementation from the client perspective. It just works right away and gives you the information you need. There are other features that you do need to configure. For example, the capability of the solution to discover the apps.

Another helpful feature is that you can add some connectors, not only from Office 365 and Azure, but external connectors. If you have logs from Palo Alto or Cisco, from  Barracuda, Checkpoint, or SonicWall, you can ingest them into Cloud App Security. It integrates well with third-party vendors.

What needs improvement?

There were things that were lacking but they are available in the newer version, such as an integration with the threat protection that Microsoft has with Microsoft Defender. However, I believe it's only set to be integrated with Microsoft Defender for identity and identity protection. I would like to see it available for use with something like Office 365 Defender. I don't think it's integrated with that yet.

I have been working with Microsoft Cloud App Security for three or four years.

We're a Microsoft partner, so we do pretty much anything Microsoft, including security, endpoints, and cloud. We don't do website or application development. We focus on architecture, infrastructure, security, and delivery.

It is stable. I haven't seen it go down.

You don't have to worry about the scalability because it's a SaaS application. As you add logs and data sources, it builds up. But you don't have to worry about the scalability because it's in the backend.

It's a little bit hard to deal with Microsoft tech support, especially on Cloud App Security. It's hit and miss. It depends on your type of support. If you have premier support, you get an okay type of response. They definitely need to up their tech support. There should be some improvement in that regard.

The initial setup is simple because it's software as a service. You don't build a server and you don't do upgrades. There is no OS. It's built into the cloud. All you have to do is purchase the license.

In terms of maintenance, it's all Microsoft. All you need it to do is configure it so that it will work for your unique environment, according to your organization's requirements. There is nothing else to worry about.

It comes as part of a bundle. If you have the Microsoft 365 license called E5, it comes with that. Otherwise, if you're going to buy it a la carte, the pricing can vary. Because we're a Microsoft partner, we get discounted pricing.

What other advice do I have?

It doesn't require a long configuration process. There's no testing. You just need to tailor it to suit your organization's needs in terms of the data and the information that you want to get. In terms of discovering apps, it works pretty much out-of-the-box. It presents you with the data. The only decision that you need to make is whether to sanction an application. And then you have to sanction it and set up an alert if users are using a sanctioned application.

Senior Solutions Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and meets business requirements but provides too many false positives
  • "If your business requirements are relatively simple, it can get the job done."
  • "There are challenges with detection and there are challenges with false-positive rates."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for cloud visibility and getting a better understanding of what the data footprint is, including what kinds of files are exposed, and getting our heads around compliance. It's a component that adds DLP. Presently, there are two separate DLP policies between Microsoft's traditional DLP and the MCA DLP.

What is most valuable?

The solution is bundled with E3 and E5 licenses. That's the reason it's most commonly deployed. It's part of the bundle. It's not a separate cost.

If your business requirements are relatively simple, it can get the job done.

What needs improvement?

If you have more elaborate needs or if you have some more sophisticated use cases, for example, if you need an in-line component, or if you need to distinguish between sanctioned and unsanctioned applications, this solution doesn't cut it. You need to have some other solution.

Microsoft seems to want to mitigate that visible gap by deploying Microsoft DTP Defender for the in-line component. If you consume Microsoft, the more pieces you have, the better it is, although that's not necessarily true, technically speaking. They have limited deployment options. You have limited use cases for an endpoint with the firewalls port for IP tunnels for real-time traffic interception. You have to rule the endpoint. It's a less flexible deployment than the more mature players.

They're improving it all the time. I haven't looked at it for six months or so, however, the last time I looked at it, they had to be configured in two different spots.

I've been dealing with the solution for a while, on and off.

A lot of customers that we work with have the solution installed today and we see them running it by themselves as well.

The solution is stable. I haven't bumped any stability issues.

I haven't tested the scalability. I don't have any opinion on the scalability. It seems to me that it fits the customer's needs from a scalability perspective.

I don't work with technical support directly.

The solution is super easy to configure. All it requires is an admin for the various apps. Once it's authorized it can start the scans. Mainly, you need to be mindful of policies and what you're looking for. Tuning policies and making sure that your policies are set properly is important. It's very easy to do, especially the out-of-box stuff.

You can buy it alone, however, it's not worth it. Nobody buys it alone as it's not that good as a standalone product. It's better as a part of the E3 and E5 suites. We don't sell it.

What other advice do I have?

We're a Microsoft partner.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Mainly you want to just be clear on what your use cases are, and what you're trying to accomplish, as everything's use case driven. If you know what you need to accomplish from a security strategy standpoint, it's better. For example, it might be helpful for compliance or having an understanding of where sensitive data is. It might be part of a broader initiative around classification and data protection. Having those use cases written out first and going from there is better. Then, I suggest taking a measured approach as you go in. Implement it right. Test for or validate that the policies that you have in place are working as expected. However, you have to build out requirements for the policies.

Sujeet Bhardwaj - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Security Engineer at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good usability with helpful policies and a straightforward initial setup
  • "The general usability of the solution is very straightforward."
  • "I want them to enhance in-session policy."

What is our primary use case?

I used to deploy it in the customer's environment and set the requirements. It's used for blocking downloads, for example, and is a security feature for data centers.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution is helping a lot. We get a lot of very detailed reporting on security that really shows what users are doing, including what they've opened, what else they're sharing, downloading, viewing, et cetera, as well as when they are logging in. It's a very detailed activity and reporting of my units.

What is most valuable?

The file policy and activity policy are very useful aspects of the solution.

I can get information, for example, data location, IP address, et cetera. I use it for getting information about what's happening in my environment with certain files. I can see, for example, which user is sharing files externally, and if they're downloading or might be downloading, the documents on their personal device, a corporate device, or if they are sharing any folders with the outside world.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The general usability of the solution is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We've had an issue where an in-session policy was not working. I want them to enhance the in-session policy. It's something I came across while adding the application into MCAS as I wanted to apply some MCAS policies on those applications.

I've been using the solution for about five years now.

The solution is 99.99% stable.

The solution is extremely scalable.

I've handled technical support for my customers.

I've only really worked with this solution.

The initial setup is straightforward. I already have experience putting the solution into place and therefore I'm pretty adept at setting it up. The implementation simply requires understanding how the customer wants to use it and what they want to monitor.

It's an ongoing deployment and I've been deploying the solution for almost six years now.

I basically use authority to integrate all users and exchanges together. We have basically a Microsoft-oriented system.

When I deployed it, I applied it to around 4,000 users. I indirectly did it myself and it took around one month for me to integrate everything and to meet those policies to ensure they were in line and working as to my expectations and that I was getting the expected results that I wanted.

You only need one person to handle the deployment. Maybe two people.

We do not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant.

I'm not acquainted with the licensing and pricing of the solution.

I did not evaluate other options previously.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have a business relationship with Microsoft. I deploy the solution and I am managing MCAS for customers.

If a person has an Office-specific environment and they are looking for a solution, this is a good option. It's a good native application. Even if they were in a different cloud, I'd advise migration to a Microsoft environment.

I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
David Frerie - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT & Database Management at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Gives us an ecosystem with a single portal to manage everything
  • "It's very easy to install and it includes the Intune portal from Microsoft where I can control all the devices from one place."
  • "I would like to see them include more features in the older licenses. There are some features that are not available, such as preventing or analyzing cloud attacks."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our users' devices against attacks.

How has it helped my organization?

We see stories about attacks in the news, including phishing and spam, Defender helps protect us.

It also gives us an ecosystem. We have one portal where we can manage everything. We don't need to log in to another portal to manage the devices, the antivirus, Defender, or Office. It's a single place to manage everything and that's very good.

What is most valuable?

It's very easy to install and it includes the Intune portal from Microsoft where I can control all the devices from one place. And because it's a Microsoft product, it integrates with Windows 10 and Windows 11. We don't need to buy anything else.

We have an M365 license and we have an Office admin portal. I manage all the users and licenses through the portal, making it very easy to manage. We have a lot of users coming in and going out of the company, and this makes it simple to provide licenses to people.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see them include more features in the older licenses. There are some features that are not available, such as preventing or analyzing cloud attacks. We have Defender P2 licenses and Microsoft proposed P3. If it included what was in the old package, such as the M365 license and Office, that would be very good.

I have been using Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps (MDA) for two years.

The stability is very good. We haven't had downtime. When we receive a message that the service is down, it's only for a few minutes and then all is good. That's true for the whole Microsoft universe, since we use Outlook and Teams.

We haven't had any problems with scalability. We moved all devices from Windows 10 to 11 and it was very easy. We didn't need to test the machines. It worked very well.

We have 50 users of the solution.

The support from Microsoft is very good. Their chat system is very good because it's an alternative to phoning and it's very quick. Through the chat we quickly have someone to respond to our questions.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

At first we used Panda, and after that we had McAfee. We replaced McAfee with Defender. Panda's client was very heavy on the device and, with McAfee, the benefit versus the cost was not so good.

Also, I spoke to colleagues at other companies that have implemented the solution and they said it's very simple to install.

We have seen ROI because there have been some attacks, but they have always been contained.

It's expensive because we have to pay for an M365 license and it is included in the package.

We tested Cisco Umbrella but the price was a little higher than Defender's price, and it would have been another product to install. Defender was almost "included," meaning it was easy to install.

Cloud Security Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to use, scales well, and is good for our clients who are transitioning to the cloud
  • "It is very easy to use, which is what we look for in these types of solutions."
  • "This service would be better if it had a separate license, only for this service, that could be used to track usage."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting firm and we configure this service for our clients.

Our clients use it for Shadow IT systems and processes. It is used specifically for cloud services, such as services that reside in Microsoft Azure.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to use, which is what we look for in these types of solutions.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Microsoft Cloud App Security for the past month.

This is a stable product.

This solution is scalable. You simply buy licenses and access the platform.

Currently, we have five people in the company who are using it. With new clients using our service and other clients moving to the cloud, I want to have a security broker in place so I expect to increase our usage.

I have not contacted technical support yet.

As a cloud-based service, there is no installation.

Our clients normally use the Microsoft E1 licensing, which is renewed yearly. It gives them access to many Microsoft services, and one of them is Microsoft Cloud App Security.

We are currently evaluating other products such as Netskope, to see what it can offer us. We primarily want to see if it is easier for our clients to use. It seems that the integration with the cloud service is much more difficult.

Licensing for this product is not as expensive as Netskope.

What other advice do I have?

This is a pretty good service and I definitely recommend it if you are using Microsoft Azure or Microsoft services.

Download our free Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022