IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Engineering Student at a university with 501-1,000 employees
Good collaboration capabilities, efficient, and has a user-friendly interface
  • "The interface is very user-friendly and it is not a hassle to use the site at all. They did a really good job in that regard."
  • "The UML diagram that it gave me initially was a huge flow with a bunch of UML tables, and I wasn't going to need that many. If it was a more simple linkage between the tables then it would be easier to finish projects, instead of having to select unnecessary tables and delete them."

What is our primary use case?

I am an engineering student at college and I was using Lucidchart for a research project. I was using it to create flow diagrams.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart is a free application and it is very helpful for documenting processes and workflows. It is very easy to use and it can assist in every possible way.

It's important that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users because due to today's technology, not every person is going to be situated on a Windows, or Linux, or iOS platform. Lucid's accessibility on any type of platform allows more users and therefore more downloads. With more users, it leads to more reviews. With the additional coverage and scrutiny, it means that the product will be expanded and better maintained.

My classmates and I were using real-time collaboration and it had a positive impact on our development process. It made things very easy for everybody to understand and it was super helpful.

The real-time collaboration saved me time, considering other projects took much longer. Lucidchart allowed me to enter information and shape my project very effectively, probably shaving off more than 20 minutes per chart.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is developing flowcharts and being able to collaborate on them.

Using the product to create charts is efficient. It meant that I didn't have to rely on Microsoft Word or another application to draw them from scratch.

Lucidchart is really good and very informative.

What needs improvement?

When you start the software, it requests what type of diagram you would like. In one instance, I chose UML because I needed it for an assignment. The UML diagram that it gave me initially was a huge flow with a bunch of UML tables, and I wasn't going to need that many. If it was a more simple linkage between the tables then it would be easier to finish projects, instead of having to select unnecessary tables and delete them.

Lucidchart
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about Lucidchart. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have used Lucidchart a handful of times.

Lucidchart is a very stable application, and at the moment I see not too many bugs or errors, so it's running very effectively.

Scalability was not a problem. It did exactly what I needed to do and it didn't require that I spend several hours to figure it out.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I tried some other applications and websites, such as Draw.io, and I found that Lucidchart was very efficient compared to the others.

Lucidchart and Draw.io are fairly similar applications and I have used them both for creating charts. I found that it was more difficult to draw and work with charts using Draw.io.

The initial setup is a straightforward process. It took me under a minute to complete it, and it explained every step, very well.

I was using the free version of Lucidchart, which was very helpful.

What other advice do I have?

This is a well-rounded application and I have recommended it to my classmates.

If Lucid could make a deal with universities, where it was free for students to use for projects over the duration of their courses, then it would be very good because many more people would become familiar with the platform. It is user-friendly to the point where it is easy for anyone to understand and use the platform, and Lucid is a top company because of that. I also think that for business owners, Lucid should have a bulk package that is available for multiple workstations.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Other
Senior Business Analyst at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to communicate amongst technical and non-technical stakeholders to draw everything out so that we are all on the same page
  • "Documenting complicated workflows and technology integrations so that we can go back to it has also been a benefit. And without having to dig into a lot of technical, the codes, the documents, I can simply understand on a high level what's happening."
  • "In terms of improvement, there can be more templates. There are good templates but there could still be more."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases have been mostly for software development. We use it to integrate software and for processes, like representing different business processes.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of benefits, it's easy for me to communicate amongst technical and non-technical stakeholders to draw everything out so that we are all on the same page and discussions can be made. That's the most valuable part.

What is most valuable?

The features where you can draw the business process diagrams and flowchart and where you can control the ERD diagrams are what I find the most valuable.

I find Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows and workflows to be pretty good. There are a fair bit of choices between different visualizations, so it's pretty flexible. Their examples and knowledge base is good. I'm finding that really to be valuable.

It's important to us that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users because I use both devices.

The ability for people to look at the diagram rather than reading through written documents saved time, and as a result, money. If the diagram is good, then it quickly gives you understanding. It saves time.

Lucidchart helped to realize efficiencies in the projects we use it for. It's been pretty user-friendly so far.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, there can be more templates. There are good templates but there could still be more.

The ones they have are pretty general. It would be good to have templates for real business needs. It would be a lot easier if they had use cases that people could relate to. There are templates, but they could provide examples of real use cases.

I have been using Lucidchart for two to three weeks. I use the web-based version.

So far, the stability is pretty good, but sometimes when I load up a new template or something it takes a while for it to load. It can be a bit resource-intensive. Sometimes it becomes a little slow, but I haven't had real problems. I'll probably find out more as I start using it more intensely.

It has APIs and integration you can do. But I haven't tried to scale it yet.

I haven't needed to reach out to technical support. I only had a call from the account manager, and that was really helpful. He showed me a lot of knowledge bases, templates, and things like that.

I have used Visio. The migration to Lucidchart was very easy because it's pretty much the same.

When it comes to intuitiveness and ease of use, I only used Visio in the app and sometimes you have to load up the app and it can take time to get started. So compared to that, because it's web-based, I find Lucidchart to be easier and quicker.

I briefly used Draw.io. Whenever you need to do something quickly, you just log in to it, but I haven't used something for a long period of time or for a lot of different projects.

The initial setup was pretty general. It didn't take much time, probably half an hour to log in, go through and understand the different tabs and everything.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good tool and it's easy to get started with. It's web-based and has a good knowledge base and templates. It will meet your needs to get something up and running quickly.

I would rate Lucidchart an eight out of ten.

Lucidchart
August 2022
621,593 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CarlosRamos1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Student at Universidad Galileo
Allows you to collaborate online and modify things in real time, saving time
  • "The sticky notes are among the most valuable features. Also, the fact that it has templates so that I don't have to do things myself, starting from scratch, is very helpful. In addition, it's really easy to use. You can add stuff by clicking, without having to go to the options. You just click on something and the options you can use appear."
  • "One downside is that you can only modify things online, but when you download work, you download it as an image. It would be useful to have an option to modify it locally."

What is our primary use case?

I started using it for projects that I have to deliver at university. I see it more as a collaboration tool where you can create things, present them, and you can do idea maps. For me, it's mostly a graphics tool. If I had to present something that represents a hierarchy or a process, I could use it as well.

How has it helped my organization?

The ability for people to look at diagrams, rather than reading through written documents, saves time and money. It makes a presentation even easier to digest. It's faster.

What is most valuable?

The sticky notes are among the most valuable features. Also, the fact that it has templates so that I don't have to do things myself, starting from scratch, is very helpful. In addition, it's really easy to use. You can add stuff by clicking, without having to go to the options. You just click on something and the options you can use appear. So in general, what I like is how simple it is to use, and the templates.

The fact that it is compatible with both PC and Mac is important. I am a PC user, but I work with people who use Macs.

In addition, the fact that you can collaborate online and modify things in real time helps a lot. If you had to send things to a friend it would be a little more complicated. It saved me about five hours, due to the fact that we didn't have to send things back and forth.

What needs improvement?

One downside is that you can only modify things online, but when you download work, you download it as an image. It would be useful to have an option to modify it locally.

Also, in the web version, when I'm trying to log in it takes a while to load. It shows you a progression bar and that it's loading a document, but if it worked a little bit faster, it would be easier. Loading the projects I'm working on takes a lot of time.

I started using it about three or four months ago.

It's pretty stable. I haven't had any problems with it.

I would give the scalability a five out of 10. You have to download an image, which doesn't work as well.

Tech support is pretty good.

I used some online tools, but I don't remember what they were called. When I was looking for a tool to help me, I found Lucidchart easier to use, without a requirement to purchase it. The other tools ask you for your credit card to try the free trial, and I didn't like that. That's why I chose Lucidchart.

Setting it up was easy. I just created an account and started using it. It wasn't complicated.

My return on investment has been on hours spent. Going back and forth on documents is not only tiring but it takes a long time to complete a project that way. The ability to look at things in real time makes it a whole different experience. It makes work a little bit faster, helping you to more quickly finish stuff. It makes it easier for a team and makes projects easier to do.

I only use the free version.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out, because it's really good. It might be good to download the desktop version. The desktop would be easier because it doesn't take as long to load. But overall, it's good.

I rate it a nine out of 10. The reason it's not a 10 is the load time. But other than that, everything is good.

Jude Ann Brunt - PeerSpot reviewer
Co-Owner at Globe Cafe & Tapas Bar
Organizational charts help to visualize and understand team hierarchies and relationships
  • "Lucidchart enables me to put down on paper what I was visualizing in my head. It makes it more shareable than only using words."
  • "A couple of times when I tried to move a line, connecting two shapes on an organizational chart, occasionally the line doesn't move as intuitively as I think it should. I have to fiddle around with it a few times to get it to do what I want it to do."

What is our primary use case?

I'm using their web-based application. I've just come off the free trial, so I'm a very new user.

We use it for the organizational charts and for documenting new teams. We'll probably use it for processing systems at some point.

I would rate Lucidchart a seven out of ten for documenting things like new teams. I'd give it this rating purely because I don't know all the features yet.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidchart enables me to put down on paper what I was visualizing in my head. It makes it more shareable than only using words.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use is the most valuable feature. It's simple to learn pretty quickly.

I have used the organizational charts for visualizing and understanding team hierarchies and relationships. It's been very good so far. It's easy to use, it's easy to manipulate and change quickly if I need to change something. It's a good product.

What needs improvement?

A couple of times when I tried to move a line, connecting two shapes on an organizational chart, occasionally the line doesn't move as intuitively as I think it should. I have to fiddle around with it a few times to get it to do what I want it to do. That's probably because I'm a new user and I'm not experienced enough, rather than it being an issue with the software itself.

I have been using Lucidchart for around three weeks.

It seems very available and very stable so far. The follow-ups have been good.

Nobody else is using it yet, but my business partner and our general manager will probably be using it. So there will be at least three of us.

I know I can add other users and stuff like that. So, that's good.

I tried to do charts in Word before.

Lucidchart is definitely more comprehensive, more professional-looking, and more flexible.

The initial setup was of medium-level complexity.

It didn't take very long to set up. There wasn't anything really difficult about it. I'm just not the most computer savvy person on the planet.

I hope to see ROI soon.

The price was low enough to make me think that it was fine, I'll go for it. I think it's $80 or so. It's not too expensive. Even if I don't end up using it that much, I feel that it's still a good deal.

I didn't evaluate other solutions.  I had a quick look at Lucidchart when a co-worker of mine used it about a month ago.

What other advice do I have?

I haven't integrated it with third-party solutions. I've only shared it through its share function, like with email and Outlook.

I liked the fact that I could extend my free trial for seven days. That was good because I wasn't ready to make a decision to buy it in the first seven days. I haven't had a chance to really use it properly. I have a pretty busy life and giving me that extra seven days was very useful.

I would rate Lucidchart an eight out of ten. I only give it this rating because I haven't had a chance to really explore all its functionality yet.

Sr. Eng Program Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Fairly intuitive, has a low learning curve, and it's easy to get immediate output
  • "When it comes to documenting things like processes, systems, and new teams, I'd give it an eight or nine out of ten. It's very high because it's fairly intuitive, there's a low learning curve, and it's easy to get immediate output. You can get results very quickly without a lot of direct effort. You don't usually take a week-long series of training. You don't need to go through a lot of hoops to make it work."
  • "The main improvement I would like to see is for them to improve the help section on the flow charts or on the formatting."

What is our primary use case?

We use Lucidchart for the lateral flow charts.

How has it helped my organization?

I've used Lucidchart for a status report. I gave it a particular format and was able to set it up in minutes.

What is most valuable?

It's fairly intuitive. It has a fairly low learning curve. The only tricky part, and it's only because I have not spent time on it, is some of the formatting. They should enhance the help section on the formatting.

When it comes to documenting things like processes, systems, and new teams, I'd give it an eight or nine out of ten. It's very high because it's fairly intuitive, there's a low learning curve, and it's easy to get immediate output. You can get results very quickly without a lot of direct effort. You don't usually take a week-long series of training. You don't need to go through a lot of hoops to make it work.

I would also rate Lucidchart's capabilities for visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows a nine or ten out of ten. It's much easier to use than Visio.

I plan to use Lucidchart to create database schemas or modify existing data structures. That's the next step, but I'm still at the beginner's level.

We have used Lucidchart in real-time collaboration among users. The solid collaboration has saved us time.

I have received good feedback about its ability for people to look at the diagram rather than reading through written documents.

Lucidchart has helped us realize efficiencies in the projects we use it for. I did use it for a status report. It saved emails, but I can't quantify how many emails we would have sent.

What needs improvement?

The main improvement I would like to see is for them to improve the help section on the flow charts or on the formatting.

I've only been using Lucidchart for a few months. I use the web-based application.

It's highly available. Once you have all the users on the same licenses, it's very available.

All of us are in the project. There are multiple users.

I have not actually had to call up support yet, which is a good sign. I haven't really had any calls with them.

We used PowerPoint, Word, and templates. It seems like Lucidchart is the most intuitive out of the entire set.

The intuitiveness is the main difference. The ability to get to see it very quickly seems to be the big advantage for Lucidchart.

The initial setup was very straightforward, except for the formatting. It took a little bit more to try to add bullets or anything to touch it up.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to give it at least a good hour to try it before you make any decisions. It shouldn't take that long, but if you put in effort for an hour, I think that you will get immediate results to see the benefits.

A nice thing is that this platform's very forgiving, so I would say to learn to experiment.

Overall, I like it. I just need to find some dedicated time to learn some of the nuances of using the tool.

I would rate Lucidchart an eight out of ten.

VikramSingh1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Software Engineer at Gartner
We don't need documentation on how to use it because it is self-explanatory
  • "The interface is very good and easy to use. We don't need documentation on how to use it. It is self-explanatory, which is very convenient for a new user."
  • "I am not quite sure what different functionalities it provides as well as the difficulties other people are facing. When I have a better understanding of the solution, I will increase my rating of it. No solution is perfect, so I am sure that I will be facing some problems in the future."

What is our primary use case?

I use it to filter data and create data models for applications.

We are in the starting phase. We are going step-by-step. We have just created our data diagram, and there is not much collaboration on this part. When we go to our architecture diagram, we will be having more collaboration.

I have used it for technical purposes and support.

I am still exploring the tool.

How has it helped my organization?

Our team asked me to create a data diagram for our applications. We have different tables in our applications and needed to come up with a diagram depicting the complete data structure in our applications, e.g., what are the different tables that we are using, what are the relationships between them, and how can we improve them. So, Lucidchart should easily help me to complete my work.

There are three more members on our team. We are sharing our document with team members, which is pretty good. Multiple users can add to it and comment on parts, e.g., whatever they want to ask. They can comment on the table structure or diagram. It is very easy to use. This real-time collaboration has saved us time.

What is most valuable?

Creating a collage diagram is the most valuable feature.

Lucidchart is very good and convenient for creating database structures. I love it.

The interface is very good and easy to use. We don't need documentation on how to use it. It is self-explanatory, which is very convenient for a new user.

It is a very good tool that is easy to use. I can save time when collaborating with team members.

What needs improvement?

I am not quite sure what different functionalities it provides as well as the difficulties other people are facing. When I have a better understanding of the solution, I will increase my rating of it. No solution is perfect, so I am sure that I will be facing some problems in the future.

I just started using Lucidchart a month ago.

My team has been using it for a long time. I just started using it.

The stability is good. I have not faced any difficulties when using it.

We are a growing team. My colleagues include managers, a Scrum Master, and a business user.

This is the first time that I am using a tool of this kind, e.g., data modeling. I have never used other tools.

My initial setup was very straightforward. My company already purchased the tool. When I tried to sign in with my company email, they automatically sent me an email with some steps, then I started using it.

It did not take me long to set it up. I just signed up for Lucidchart and my team provided me with the license. It was very easy to use.

I work for Gartner. They provide us with an account from the paid version.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very interesting tool. I love using this tool. I would rate it as an eight out of 10.

I have recommended Lucidchart to my colleague and other developers in different companies. It is a good tool that is easy to use with a good UI. It is also easy to understand.

Frederic Pascalon - PeerSpot reviewer
Enterprise Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Templates eliminate creating something from scratch and help realize significant efficiencies
  • "For documenting processes and systems, I would rate the solution a nine out of 10. I'm not aware of any other software that is as usable as this, because of the templates. They make documenting these things really easy."
  • "Perhaps it already exists, but if there were software to install the solution on a Mac, that would be helpful. I see that it's not in the App Store, so that's something that could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I have two main use cases. I am an IT architect, so I'm drawing IT architecture with Lucidchart. The second use case is that I'm using it to build some business models to describe my customers in a single slide.

It's a SaaS solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It's good for teamwork. If you need to collaborate on a certain drawing, whether a business process, or architecture, or anything else, having the team on the same platform is good.

Also, the ability for people to look at a diagram rather than reading through written documents absolutely saves time and, as a result, money. An image is worth more than a book of words. It's impossible for me to quantify the savings.

Lucidchart helps realize efficiencies in the projects I use it for. For example, I will use Lucidchart for each of my customers to describe their business processes. For efficiency, it's really good in that sense. I would estimate it increases my efficiency by 30 percent.

What is most valuable?

The templates are good. They eliminate creating something from scratch and allow me to create from a framework. That saves time.

For documenting processes and systems, I would rate the solution a nine out of 10. I'm not aware of any other software that is as usable as this, because of the templates. They make documenting these things really easy. And when it comes to visualizing and understanding process flows or workflows it makes things easy to understand.

It's also integrated with Google Drive. This is mandatory because all the content I produce is stored in Google Drive. If this was not directly linked to Google Drive it would be a pain.

The fact that Lucidchart accommodates both Mac and PC users is also important to me because I'm using a Mac. If it didn't work on Mac I could not use it at all.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps it already exists, but if there were software to install the solution on a Mac, that would be helpful. I see that it's not in the App Store, so that's something that could be improved.

I have been using Lucidchart for one month.

I have never experienced downtime, so it has made a very positive impression.

Because it is a SaaS version, it should be really scalable. But that's just a guess because I haven't had to scale it, given that I have just started using it. But I will use it more and more with my customers.

I have no idea how many people are using Lucidchart in our organization, but I can imagine that all the solution architects would be using it. That would amount to 10 percent of the company using Lucidchart.

I have not had to use their technical support.

I switched from PowerPoint because in PowerPoint you have to build everything, while in Lucidchart it's already there with templates. It's easy to use.

Because it's a SaaS, the setup was quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

Leverage the existing templates. Doing so is like taking advantage of someone having already done your job.

I rate it a nine out of 10. I would love to have the software on my Mac. That would make it a 10.

Managing Partner at Seegmiller Gardner, PLLC
Flexible and easy to use, with a helpful and extensive template library
  • "Lucidchart is a lovely tool for creating visual representations of any process or organization."
  • "When you want to add text to a connector arrow, I have not figured out how to position the text vertically. It always wants the text to stay horizontal."

What is our primary use case?

I used Lucidchart to build-out items such as business org charts, business processes/workflows, and product diagrams.

Lucidchart is much better than competitors that I have used, such as Visio. I am able to easily save off charts I have created in a PDF document, which is primarily what I do.

The flexibility of Lucidchart is great. It is easy to create swim lane process documents with as many rows as you would like. It is also very easy to include columns into the swim lane that allows you to show where one process ends and another picks up. This feature has allowed me to generate very detailed process documents that my employers have loved.

How has it helped my organization?

People always ask me what I build my charts in, as the graphical rendering in Lucidchart is superb. The tool is super user-friendly and intuitive and comes with hundreds of templates to get you started. The user interface for Lucidchart makes it easy to build visual diagrams very quickly.

The full tool kit included in the product has more features and functionality than I will ever need, including the ability to publish diagrams directly to a web page.

What is most valuable?

I love the template library. It makes it easy to get started on a project without having to expend a lot of energy upfront trying to recreate the wheel. There are many, many templates to choose from across a wide variety of categories. It is easy to find a template category that works and then even find a template with a color scheme that works for what you need. I have often taken a template, with the color scheme I like, deleted everything out of it, and started from scratch just so I could get the colors I liked quickly.

What needs improvement?

When you want to add text to a connector arrow, I have not figured out how to position the text vertically. It always wants the text to stay horizontal. This is frustrating when I would like the text to stay in-line with a connector arrow, or otherwise.

Also, printing hard copies of PDF files that I have saved from Lucidchart has always been a problem. Although I don't print copies very often, every once in a while I need to do that for a meeting. The hard copies always come out missing colors and components of the chart I have created. I'm not sure if this is an issue with my printer, Adobe Acrobat DC, or otherwise.

I have been using Lucidchart for one year.

The Lucidchart cloud offering is super stable. I've never had any issues with it, even when my network has gone up and down.

The tool is not scalable, per se, but it does allow the user to easily share diagrams with other parties.

I used Visio in the past. Lucidchart's user interface is easier to use. I also prefer the look of the Lucidchart diagrams.

Pricing comes in at about $100 for a year's subscription, which is very reasonable if this is a tool that you will use more than once.

I have only used Visio and Lucidchart.