Sr. Consultant, pSeries & Open Systems at Glasshouse Systems
Reseller
Beneficial centralized backup, highly scalable, and stable
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the centralized enterprise backup."
  • "The solution could be more user-friendly and provide better monitoring. The monitoring should be improved first since it is a higher priority."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect server runs on Linux and collects the backups from the clients. Either direct clients, backup archive clients, or through a proxy in the case of VM, which is TDA.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is the centralized enterprise backup.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be more user-friendly and provide better monitoring. The monitoring should be improved first since it is a higher priority.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for approximately 30 years.

IBM Spectrum Protect
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM Spectrum Protect is stable.

I have found IBM Spectrum Protect to be highly scalable, it can scale up to 1,000.

I was in the IBM Spectrum Protect support myself and it is high quality.

The installation could be improved, it takes a lot of effort.

The pricing model of this solution is another difficult area, it's very sophisticated in the way they charge. It's based on PBU, which is a type of processor, how, many processors, and you need to put everything into an equation. However, they have different ways of charging or licensing. One way is a back-end volume or front-end volume, which is quite complicated.

I have evaluated Veeam.

What other advice do I have?

IBM Spectrum Protect is very good for high volume enterprise costs. If you are a small to medium-sized business I would choose a cheaper and more straightforward solution, such as Veeam.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect approximately a six out of ten for small to medium businesses but for enterprise companies, I would rate it a ten out of ten.

When combining all factors, I rate IBM Spectrum Protect an eight out of ten.

Director at Magnamious Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Reseller
Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are valuable, but it needs a lot of improvements
  • "Support of the IBM X platform and the backup data replication to DR are the most valuable features."
  • "It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management. It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for backup.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It has a lot of areas for improvement. Its reporting for job completion or incompletion can be improved. It should also provide a granular recovery, ease of operation, data life cycle management, and media management.

It should support a backup in such a format that in case of a disaster, one can start the virtual machine out of the backup itself. Its reliability can also be better. It is also expensive, and their support is also poor.

I have been using this solution for the past five to six years.

From a security point of view, there are fewer concerns about the backup as long as you encrypt the data.

It is scalable. The scalability also depends on your network architecture, etc.

Their technical support is very poor. We are not very happy with them.

Its initial setup is complex. It took three to four days.

My team members handle the deployment. The number of people required depends on the number of IT assets that we are trying to protect.

It is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it depending on the use cases, but it is better to avoid IBM now. It is a new era of other solutions. IBM should catch up or allow itself to become extinct.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a five out of ten.

IBM Spectrum Protect
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
manager technique at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
Stable legacy solution for tape libraries, but lacks unified GUI
  • "The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best."
  • "They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using it for protecting the physical environment.

What is most valuable?

The feature we have found most valuable is when you want to integrate it with a Tape Library and then do the DRM life cycle. That is when it works the best.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, the integration with Cloud and a simplified, unified GUI. They do not have a unified GUI, they only work on CLI and operations center, which is really complicated for the installation and configuration.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for almost 15 years.

It is very stable.

Yes, it is scalable. It is scalable with Db2 and it can be scalable with the metatext.

Their technical support is good.

The initial setup can be a little bit complex.

It could be simplified.

The pricing is costly.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I would give IBM Spectrum Protect around a 7.

To raise that score, I would like to see Cloud integration and full Cloud support.

Additionally, they have much less support in terms of backing up the SQL databases than other applications.

There are many modernized applications out there in the market. If someone has a full legacy with tape in front or if they have purely tape and they want to use tapes, then for them I would say it is a very good solution. But if they want to move towards Cloud and modernize more, then I think there are better solutions to look into than IBM, such as Veeam or Cohesity or Rubrik.

Thiago Souza - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at Net Place
MSP
Feature complete, scalable, and high availability
    • "The installation process could be simplified."

What is most valuable?

Overall the solution is fairly complete.

What needs improvement?

The installation process could be simplified. However, the tool is comprehensive and if the installation is too easy, then the tool itself will be too simple as well. I do not see any pain points. The only issue I see is the pricing, it is expensive.

We have been using the solution with the last 12 months.

It is a really capable tool. It is the best solutions on the market regarding recovering and the way it functions.

The scalability is really good. It is very capable, it has high availability, multiple backup servers, many posts, and workloads.

The installation is complex. It is a comprehensive solution as IBM has evolved from the TSM and Tivoli Storage Manager. It has multiple integrators, allowing it to communicate with most of the kinds of workloads. It is not easy to deploy.

We usually had three people doing the deployment. The solution uses multiple integrators, for example, they integrated with Oracle, SAP HANA, Microsoft, and Bare Metal. You will normally need one senior deployer, and a senior analyst to deploy it. If the individual that is going to do the deployment is a high-level senior person, he can do it by himself depending on experience. If there is not a senior person, you are going to need more than one to assist.

The solution is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is capable of connecting to the cloud, public or private, but we are currently using it on-premises on this particular project.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect a nine out of ten.

Anower H  Mozumder - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Manager at Thakral
    MSP
    Easy to deploy product with good load replication
    • "IBM Spectrum Protect is a scalable solution."
    • "We did not see any drawbacks to IBM Spectrum Protect before assisting a customer using Windows that wanted to migrate to using UNIX. IBM Spectrum Protect does not offer an option to migrate from other operating systems."

What is most valuable?

The feature I have found the most valuable is load replication.

What needs improvement?

There are some drawbacks to load replication as well. On their site, you only have the option to restore a backup. You cannot download it. That is a limitation.

I have been working on IBM Spectrum Protect since 2006.

IBM Spectrum Protect is a stable solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect is a scalable solution.

How good the technical support is depends on the severity level of your problem. We solve most issues ourselves. But, when we have to escalate an issue and contact IMB's tech support, it can take a long time to get in touch with them because you have to go through Passport Advantage Online.

Prior to 2006, I worked with the 7TECH backup system. However, I did not work on a large scale. We had it deployed on a single machine on a single server.

The initial setup was easy but it does require focus. You have to have experience with IBM Spectrum Protect to deploy. However, if you do have the experience, it is easy.

The price of IBM Spectrum Protect is a bit higher than other products.

Lead Engineer Storage at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
    Reseller
    Highly reliable, scales well, and helpful support
    • "The scalability of IBM Spectrum Protect is good."
    • "I need two separate solutions for virtual and physical systems. I need IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for virtual systems and Spectrum Protect for physical systems and that's a pain. It would be an improvement if they were combined."

What is our primary use case?

IBM Spectrum Protect is used for the physical server databases.

What needs improvement?

I need two separate solutions for virtual and physical systems. I need IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for virtual systems and Spectrum Protect for physical systems and that's a pain. It would be an improvement if they were combined.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for approximately 10 years.

IBM Spectrum Protect is highly reliable.

The scalability of IBM Spectrum Protect is good.

We are backing up approximately two petabytes of data using IBM Spectrum Protect.

I have contacted the support and my experience was good.

The initial setup of IBM Spectrum Protect is complex and the process took a few weeks.

IBM Spectrum Protect was implemented in-house. We have two people who deploy and maintain the solution.

With backup solutions, you never see a return on investment.

The price of IBM Spectrum Protect is expensive and there is only a standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is if they need a rock-solid solution this is a great solution. However, the problem is it is not future-proof because you never know where IBM aims to go.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner and reseller
    Albert Hernaus - PeerSpot reviewer
    Storage Consultant at E-Storage
    A scalable and stable solution that we have been using for around 20 years

What is our primary use case?

We are using a specific version of the solution, ten something.

We use it to increase our recovery capabilities.

What needs improvement?

The solution should have better integration with VMware and with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for around 20 years, although I have been utilizing IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for two to three.

We have no complaints about the stability.

The solution is really scalable.

Technical support could be so much faster.

The installation is straightforward and required around 20 servers.

It took us about an hour.

When it comes to the deployment and maintenance, certain administrative skills are required.

We have a special license, the name of which is escaping me at the moment, which grants us use for an unlimited number of years.

We must pay for a full license.

What other advice do I have?

Since our organization affords use to 50 clients per server, this comes out to around 1,000 clients.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect as an eight out of ten.

Technology Analyst at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good customization and ability to backup across all platforms, but needs better support and reporting

What is our primary use case?

I am using it for standard data protection, backup recovery, and disaster recovery.

I am using its most recent version.

What is most valuable?

The customization and the ability to backup across all platforms are the most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

Their support is not as strong as most of the products.

It should have the ability to break down the data that's being backed up. It should have better reporting.

I have been using this solution for a little bit over a year.

It is quite stable. It is pretty much set-and-forget.

It is scalable.

It can be fairly complex depending on what is being set up.

That's a hard estimate. It depends on the licensing, the hardware, and other stuff, but it is fairly expensive. It is generally more expensive than other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a seven out of 10.

Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022