We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Wira Chinwong
Service Director at scsi co.,ltd
Stable and offers good backup capabilities but the licensing is confusing
  • "The licensing isn't very clear. They should work to simply or clarify the cost structure."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security purposes. We implement this solution for many of our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

Due to the rapidly provision new server in my organization, the backup resource needs to add more also. But IBM Spectrum Protect can help me to optimize the backup resource.

What is most valuable?

The backup aspect of the solution is very good. The solution allows for incremental backups forever. It saves your backup files while also saving space.

The product is quite stable.

The API is simple to integrate into a custom application.

What needs improvement?

You need to use command line rather than the console. It would be better if users didn't have to use command line in order to use the solution.

Technical isn't so great. It's a bit slow in terms of response. They need to get back to their users a lot faster.

More than 10 years

We have enjoyed very good stability while using this solution. It's reliable and seems to be free of bugs and glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We've been happy with it.

We have a pretty big setup. There are users across ten servers. I'm not sure exactly how many there are in total.

Technical support is a bit too slow. They really should be more responsive.

There is no remote support.

As long as you have a bit of experience, you shouldn't have any trouble with the initial setup. I didn't handle it directly, however. We had someone who did it and he was quite knowledgable. Due to that, the deployment was pretty quick. He had is up and running in three or four hours.

We handled some aspects ourselves, however, we did enlist some outside help as well for the initial implementation.

The licensing process is very unclear and a bit complicated. Many of our clients have trouble figuring it out. They'll buy a license and then they find out the limits are wrong.

What other advice do I have?

We're an implementor.

Overall, we've had a good experience with the solution and I would easily recommend this product to other organizations.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at a seven.

CTO at a educational organization with 5,001-10,000 employees
Complex solution; able to overcome data losses
  • "The business value comes from the capability to overcome data losses."
  • "The software is complex; setup is complex."

What is our primary use case?

The whole product is for doing backups, and it's a reliable tool. Everything stored can be retrieved. We have databases and virtual data storing systems we are covering, but the vast majority is what the backup guys call unstructured data. So we do direct backups from various flavors of file service.

How has it helped my organization?

The business value comes from the capability to overcome data losses.

What is most valuable?

There's no single feature. It's the overall product, the reliability, and the ability to work at the scale we are working at. It's that incremental forever approach, which we definitely need for the amount of data we are handling. It's more a philosophy of product, but a certain feature.

What needs improvement?

The software is complex.

I've been using the solution for about 20 years.

It is definitely stable.

It's very scalable. We are running in the multi-petabyte range and it works very well.

Once you overcome the first level of IBM tech support, they are great.

It's a complex software, so it's a complex task, especially at the large scale and the software is accordingly complex. You won't set up this software or any competitor within a few clicks. So it is complex, but it's adequately complex. And on the client side, it depends on the documentation given by the central IT on the server side.

It was not a software deployment, but it went along with a strategic shift here. When we introduced Spectrum Protect, we introduced centralized backup service. So it was very little a matter of software deployment, but very much a matter of mentality and processes.

We used our own team to deploy, and have two staff to maintain the solution.

We have very non-standard license conditions, so I can not comment on this

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten. It has some weaknesses, but the rating is a hundred percent use case sensitive. When you have a single side and very huge amounts of data, it's definitely a 10 plus.

My advice would be to start with a use case analysis and what you want to achieve to determine if Spectrum Protect is the best solution. There's no absolute ranking without looking at the use case scenarios.

Learn what your peers think about IBM Spectrum Protect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohamed Youssef
Sr. Pre-Sales Engineer at Advanced Technology Company
Scalable and robust with good compatibility capabilities
  • "You can scale the product."
  • "It's difficult in terms of the configuration at set up. In our case, it required another admin, one person dedicated to the backup."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Spectrum as a backup solution. We use it to backup all of our data, which is different kinds of databases and software, with a virtualization environment. Also, we have more than a hundred remote sites. We are taking backups through Spectrum for all of those.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect is the fact that it combines all types of data.

It's compatible with many other products, including Oracle, VMware, and Hyper V products.

The replication is great.

The solution is robust and problem-free. We have not had any issues with Spectrum since we implemented it around 2012.

The solution is very stable.

You can scale the product.

The management is pretty good and it covers all of our technical requirements.

Technical support has been excellent.

What needs improvement?

It's difficult in terms of the configuration at set up. In our case, it required another admin, one person dedicated to the backup.

Compared with others, the pricing is high.

There needs to be some sort of personalization within the environment. We cannot back up a shared storage desk through Spectrum.

I've used the solution since 2012 or 2014. I've used it for more than seven years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is very stable and very reliable. We've had no issues with it. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Over the years we have not had any issues.

The solution can scale, however, it's a matter of the license you have. That said, if you need to expand, you can.

We've had a very positive experience with technical support. We are satisfied with their level of service.

I also have experience with Dell EMC. I use them both.

The initial setup can be a bit complex, specifically in terms of configuring everything. We had to bring on an extra admin to assist us.

The solution is a bit expensive, especially if you look at other competitors. They cost less. The licensing could be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners with IBM.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

Unique Storage and Backup Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Boasts good technical support, performance and security
  • "We are talking about a stable solution which boasts good performance and security."
  • "I find the solution somewhat difficult to use with virtual environments or VMware."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect as a backup solution. We do so with robots, each pair robot, making use of the LCO tapes.

What needs improvement?

The ability to schedule myVM on operation center should be addressed.

Setting up the server is not easy; really difficult, in fact. It requires some skill sets.

Automation should be added in the next release.

It is difficult for the Windows team, as it cannot make use of the solution.

IBM Spectrum Protect is a big solution. As such, I have been using it for four years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

I feel support to be good and they have resolved all issues of mine which have arisen.

I did not use a different solution prior to IBM Spectrum Protect.

In my previous job, I handled the installation independently. However, we currently have support, as well as the central architecture and the manager sites. When it comes to the initial setup or an upgrade, we work in tandem with their support.

We definitely need certain people to maintain the solution. In respect of just storage, a backup engineering team can work with the IBM Spectrum Protect solution. The Windows team cannot make use of the solution, which poses a challenge for it.

I am not in a position to comment on the licensing terms, as this is handled by the central team.

What other advice do I have?

We are the client. At the moment, however, I am focusing on the project involving our migration and upgrading from Spectrum Protect 1.6, dot 7 to spectrum version 1.8.

The solution is not deployed in the cloud, but onsite.

I have experience working with TSM and have trained on the old versions of TSM 6.

Our team exclusively uses the solution.

I rate IBM Spectrum Protect as an eight or nine out of ten.

IT Infrastructure and Architecture Manager at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
A robust, stable, and easy to administer solution that allows us to directly back up virtual servers
  • "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that IBM Spectrum Protect is highly integrated with IBM ESS. In addition, it allows us to back up our virtual servers directly to take VM snapshots. It runs on Linux as well."
  • "They can include more cloud-enriching features. I would like IBM Spectrum Protect to have the functionality for backing up a VM directly in Azure. I would like to be able to back up a VM directly in Azure without spinning up a Hyper-V cluster and backing up the virtual server."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM Spectrum Protect with another product from IBM called IBM ESS. IBM ESS allows us to open up multiple screens of the backup box or the soapbox when doing backups or restores.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that IBM Spectrum Protect is highly integrated with IBM ESS. In addition, it allows us to back up our virtual servers directly to take VM snapshots. It runs on Linux as well.

What needs improvement?

They can include more cloud-enriching features. I would like IBM Spectrum Protect to have the functionality for backing up a VM directly in Azure. I would like to back up a VM directly in Azure without spinning up a Hyper-V cluster and backing up the virtual server.

I have been using this solution for over five years now.

It has always been stable. We never had any issues with it.

It is definitely scalable.

Their technical support has been excellent. You always get the support that you require.

I have worked with Veeam Backup and Replication, Backup Exec, NetBackup, and Commvault. We switched because we are an IBM partner, and we preferred IBM technology.

The initial setup was quite complex.

It was set up by IBM. We have six backup administrators. We have two backup administrators internally in our company, and we have four external backup administrators.

It is fairly reasonable as compared to other solutions in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect an eight out of ten. It is very robust, stable, and easy to administer. The backup related to the cloud is the only challenge that we have with this product. We're happy with everything else. It is a good product.

Private Cloud
Noel Bezuidenhout
IBM Product & Technical Sales Specialist at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Seamlessly integrated with other IBM offerings and has strong stability
  • "The most valuable features are the stability and also how it's seamlessly integrated with other IBM offerings."
  • "This product comes up against other products available that are marketed better but the other products that it's in competition with are a single product and this is one of IBM products. If it could be marketed as more for competitors I think that's where it comes short."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use cases are for data protection and data backup.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the stability and also how it's seamlessly integrated with other IBM offerings.

What needs improvement?

Their marketing needs improvement. I don't think it's market correct.

There are massive choices when it comes to data backup, in terms of products. VMware is known on the market, for example. But VMware only can market that. IBM on the other hand has 20,000 products and the Spectrum Protect does not get the same presence in the market, because of the vastness of the organization. But a competitor, VMware, only has to market that product offering that they have because that's all they have. IBM has to market their solution better.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for five years.

It's very stable.

It's highly scalable.

Their support is excellent.

The initial setup was complex.

What other advice do I have?

The capability of the product now has been remarketed in IBM. So IBM Spectrum Protect is part of the Spectrum Suite. If you've got time, look at that. There are about 17 software-defined products that all interlink with each other. You'll get maximum usage out of the Spectrum Suite. I would recommend it.

The Spectrum that we know now was the old IBM Tivoli Storage Manager. Check up on Utility Storage Manager. IBM repackaged it as part of their fully software-defined offering. And one of the Spectrum Suite products is Spectrum Protect.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Architecte Technique at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Stable and easy to use, but better integration with third-party solutions is needed
  • "The interface is easy to use."
  • "Better integration with other tools and databases is needed."

What is our primary use case?

We are a technology provider and IBM Spectrum Protect is one of the solutions that we are certified in. Our customers are using it for databases and applications.

What is most valuable?

The interface is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Better integration with other tools and databases is needed. Some examples of this are Oracle RMAN and Veeam.

I have been working with Spectrum Protect for three years.

The stability is ok. We are working with different databases and different clients, and we haven't had any issues.

Scalability is good.

The technical support is good but it isn't easy to convince somebody to use it more often because of the cost.

I have used similar products by several different vendors and I feel that many of them are better than IBM Spectrum Protect. For example, Veeam is better because it provides better protection for a physical server. They offer both an on-premises and a virtual edition.

I think that the initial setup is simple, although the solution overall is somewhat complex in terms of detail. Our deployment took one month to complete because it took time to identify the full workload.

We were able to deploy it for databases on four or five systems, some of which are not Windows-based. We have different technologies in use.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend, although I think it depends on the sizing of your IT systems. That said, there is a need to have a solution that is recognized by most companies.

Overall, I feel that this is an average product. In my opinion, there are many competing products that are better than Spectrum Protect.

I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reseller
Good functionality and perfect for medium and big companies, but needs better pricing and support
  • "It is good in terms of functionality. My clients are very satisfied with this solution."
  • "Its price can be better. It is very expensive. Its interface is very old and not user friendly. They can improve its interface. Their support can also be better. My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick."

What is our primary use case?

We implement this product for our clients and customers. We configure this solution for the requirement of the customers.

We have hybrid deployments. It is deployed in the cloud and on-premises, and we are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

It is good in terms of functionality. My clients are very satisfied with this solution.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be better. It is very expensive.

Their support can also be better. My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick.

I have been using IBM Spectrum Protect for three years.

It has good stability.

It has medium scalability. Most of our clients are medium-sized companies.

My clients are not very satisfied with the support because they are not really quick. Sometimes, you get good support, and sometimes, you don't.

It has medium complexity. We have a lot of experience in implementing this solution, and that's why it is easy for us, but the other partners of IBM say that it is not easy to set up.

The deployment duration depends on the clients and their setup. Generally, it takes one to two months.

It is really expensive. Its price is not good for Latin America. Its price is good for the United States or Europe.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. It is a perfect solution for medium and big companies, but it is not a good solution for a small company because of its scalability, support, and prices. It is perfect for bigger industries and banks and financial institutions.

I would rate IBM Spectrum Protect a seven out of ten. It is a good solution, but it is expensive.

Download our free IBM Spectrum Protect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.