We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Information Security Coordinator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to monitor IP locations
  • "We can monitor IP locations, but we have constraints from each country. It has a replication feature. Licenses can be shared, taking turns with each license."
  • "The reporting could be clearer and embedded to include our movement data."

What is our primary use case?

We have many types of service, provided by the company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be clearer and embedded to include our movement data. The product could improve the interface by reducing the bookmarking more frequently and some other features. Ideally, it could do with a brand new interface. There is sometimes information overload in the logs. It is sometimes difficult to detect attacks on the firewall because it is hidden amongst many other data. The logs are not always helpful in this regard. I was disappointed in the reporting.

We have been using F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall for about one year and the same for Fortinet FortiWeb.

Scalability is fine, and we don't have any complaints so far. It's flexible once you want to expand it, but that includes the license upgrade for additional features.

We use a reseller for technical support. Technical support is very good.

We have looked at other options, but they have different solutions to the F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall.

Setup and installation are easy.

We use the reseller to implement it from scratch until it is fully deployed. Implementation does not take long.

There are various plans available for Fortinet FortiWeb Cloud WAF as a Service, including a trial version. You are only charged by the total data transferred, and there are hourly charges for the protected web application.

We are constantly looking out for features which are not available in the current product. We have set alerts to flag when these features become available.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as 9 out of 10. They can combine firewall software with other software solutions with this product. It has a good community to see what other ideas for the product are out there.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Key account manager
Easy to use and configure, stable, and secure
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is secure."
  • "The interface is old-looking, it's not modern, which is why it's not always comfortable to use."

What is our primary use case?

I was working in sales. We would provide more corporate products. I am not implementing or deploying this solution. I would sell it for projects in the enterprise direction, but it was mostly for financial institutions and some government companies.

It usually used for e-commerce and financial services. Products that banks provide to their customers. It also offers protection of the services.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it's also easy to configure.

The most valuable feature is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

I would hope that they provide some updates sooner rather than later.

I have used F5 Advanced WAF for three months in the last year.

We were using the latest version and we update on a regular basis.

It's a very stable solution.

This is a scalable product.

Our customers are in the banking system and we have approximately 200 to a few thousand customers.

We have official support from the distribution channel. One of our distributors is in Ukraine.

They have their own support definition provided with some certifications who are responsible for providing support at the vendor level.

We usually ask for their support and they provide it to us.

Previously, we used BIG-IP and we used Web Application Firewall.

I was not involved in the installation.

What other advice do I have?

I am currently working on a B2C channel, which is more for retail companies.

I have also been working with Apple company for a little bit more than a month.

I am working with all-in-one products with all services included.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. It's not popular in our country but it's unique in itself. There are some segments that became more important on a regular basis, especially for large companies and enterprise segments.

It's a secure product. I would rate F5 Advanced WAF an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about F5 Advanced WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Solutions Specialist at FPT
Feature-rich, provides good protection, and has excellent technical support

What is our primary use case?

I use F5 for on-premises infrastructure to provide protection.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are the WAF protection, Data Safe, and the seven-layer DDoS.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the API Protection improved.

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for two years. We are using the latest version.

It's a stable product. We have no issues with the stability of the F5 Advanced WAF.

We have not yet tried to scale with this solution. We have increased by 15% to 20%.  There are approximately 100 people in our company who use this solution.

How are

What is our primary use case?

I use F5 for on-premises infrastructure to provide protection.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the API Protection improved.

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for two years.

We are using the latest version.

There are approximately 100 people in our company who use this solution.

I have contacted technical support several times. They have support consultants to provide help with your cases. I have received advice from them when I have tried to build new systems.

Overall, the technical support is excellent.

I am using it on my personal account on Google Cloud. It is used with cloud solutions. I use Google, Gmail, and Google Drive.

I was not a part of the initial setup.

The solution does not require any maintenance.

This solution was installed by a third party. It may have been the reseller.

I don't have any issue with the pricing of this solution. I am only involved with the technical portion of it.

What other advice do I have?

I am not sure about recommending solutions.

I would rate F5 Advance WAF a nine out of ten.

Mahdi Karimian
Security Specialist at Saman Electronic Payment (SEP)
Scalable and very easy to manage
  • "It's scalable and very easy to manage."
  • "I would like to see a better interface and better documentation compatibility with other products. It's more complicated with OWASP."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ASM and ATF. I am working at the PCI company, and I am a manager of F5. I work with F5 WAF and ASF.

Currently, I use version 50.1.4, and I'm going to update to the new version, 50.144.1.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution for ASM. There is an online update certification, but access is locked so we couldn't use it.

What needs improvement?

F5 has a learning university, but it's very complex. I teach other people, and it can be confusing with the different versions of software. It's very hard to support that.

I've been working with this solution for four years.

The product is very stable. It is a PCI company, so there are 10,000-12,000 people using the solution.

My TLS connection is unlimited, so I have a lot of clients because of internet payments. All of the internet payments are behind the ASM for the F5.

It's scalable and very easy to manage.

I worked with FortiWeb for a few years. It's a good product, but it's not very good for a big company. So we decided to migrate to F5.

The initial setup is from a configuration utility.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

In APM or IT intelligence, it's the best. But in the ASM model, it's not as good as a 40G for Palo Alto.

Deputy Manager at Saraswat Bank
Easy to implement, works well and has a very good signature update feature
  • "Very easy to implement and works well."
  • "There is a gap in report management."

What is our primary use case?

I'm the deputy manager of information security and we are customers of WAF.

What is most valuable?

We're in a banking environment and the signature update is a good feature. It's also very easy to implement WAF. The product works well for us.

What needs improvement?

Although we're getting some reports, we're not getting all the reports we need. There seems to be a gap in report management.

The solution is stable.

We haven't really tested scalability; we currently have one network team, two or three people who handle the product and we have multiple applications and servers hosted on the WAF so there's no need to scale for now.

We're satisfied with the technical support.

The initial setup was a good experience. We had support from the WAF team and a consultancy team for implementation who also provided good support.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution, it's very useful and offers easy application management, which is good to have at the perimeter level. It provides good security against threats and attacks.

From a security point of view, I rate the solution eight out of 10.

Security Technical Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Helpful support, stable, and useful local traffic manager

What is our primary use case?

We use the F5 Advanced WAF for TicTac on house applications at our Induction University.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the Local Traffic Manager.

What needs improvement?

The Sandbox integration feature could be improved.

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for approximately one year.

F5 Advanced WAF is reliable.

The solution is scalable. We have one customer that has multiple sites that use this solution. They have 24 universities using the clusters.

The technical support is good.

The…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the Local Traffic Manager.

What needs improvement?

The Sandbox integration feature could be improved.

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for approximately one year.

F5 Advanced WAF is reliable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is good.

The installation is straightforward.

I am able to do the installation by myself.

There is an annual subscription for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others that are satisfied with the load balancer provided. If not then they could go to another solution with different load balancers for their needs.

I rate F5 Advanced WAF a nine out of ten.

Head of IT Security at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
The dashboard and reporting are great features of this solution, load balancing and iRules are great as well.

What is our primary use case?

I worked with the solution before starting at this new company and I'm now implementing it in my new job. I'm head of security at our company and we are a customer of NGINX Web Application Firewall.

What is most valuable?

The product is very easy to use and they provide great support. I like the dashboard and reporting.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could be improved. There is a version with 25 and 200 Mbps, no options in between

I've been using this solution for one year.

It's a stable solution. I haven't had any problems with it.

How are customer service and technical

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for one year.

It's a stable solution. I haven't had any problems with it.

The technical support is good, I'm happy with it.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this product an eight out of 10.

Download our free F5 Advanced WAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.