IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
SOC Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Gives the ability to play around with the ciphers and has a immediate display of the support IDs when a real blockage occurs
  • "My favorite feature of F5 is the ability to play around with the ciphers. I also like the ability to have an immediate display of the support IDs when a real blockage occurs. The protection offered is great."
  • "The reporting portion of F5 Advance WAF is not great. They need to work out something better, as it is very basic. You only see the top IPs, I think there is more they can offer."

What is our primary use case?

We host public-facing web applications or APIs. There are web applications that are owned by the company that is exposed to the outside. The internal infrastructure is within the premise. We use F5 to protect them. It's an HA model, and we have two sites.

How has it helped my organization?

We need to have an extra layer of protection. We were previously exposed to the public API. The deployment and the rate of deploying web-based applications had increased. After we introduced the web application firewall, it increased our ability to expose more of the services to the public.

F5 Advanced WAF
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about F5 Advanced WAF. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for four years, since 2018.

F5 Advanced WAF is a stable solution.

For the initial deployment, from what we were planning to implement, it was scalable.

We now have other requirements that we need to engage with. They believe we need to increase our license, so we can accommodate more features.

There have been issues in the availability of quick support. For general issues there is no concern. The issue is when you need support right away, but it is not available.

Positive

The solution was deployed using network security. At the time of deployment, the appliance was there, but we did not have any person that was able to accomplish the deployment. It took six months to deploy.

We have definitely seen a ROI by using F5 Advanced WAF.

As far as the pricing of F5 Advanced WAF I would rate it a four out of five depending on what features I am looking for. Imperva is more expensive.

The price has remained consistent at a constant rate. There have not been any increases or any unforeseen increases when we're renewing our license. The price is fixed.

I reviewed Imperva only to compare pricing.

What other advice do I have?

On the initial engagement, you should try to look on how best you can accommodate the quick support features, as this was a big struggle for us.

Overall, I would rate F5 Advanced WAF an eight out of ten.

Network Engineer at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Reliable with good WAF and APM modules
  • "It can scale."
  • "The BNS module needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Most of the time, we use it as a load balancer. It's for the client’s applications. They then apply WAF policies, of course, if the customer wants, and also an APM solution, like VPN access or Web Box, like a web and reverse protocol. Customers vary in terms of what they want.

What is most valuable?

The WAF and APM are very useful. I like the modules.

The solution has been mostly stable and reliable.

It can scale.

What needs improvement?

The BNS module needs improvement.

I’ve been using the solution for the last four and a half or five years. It’s been a while.

Most of the time, the stability is okay. For the most part, we don’t have issues with bugs or the solution crashing. It’s fine.

The solution can scale as necessary.

We have a lot of telecom and banking clients that use the solution. I’m not sure how much in total each client has in terms of users. Whoever would be using it would be more on the technical side.

We do plan to increase usage and to continue to offer this to our clients.

We help with the support as well as implementation. If a client runs into issues, they can always talk to us.

I’ve contacted the technical support of F5. However, I haven’t used them that much. They have always been okay. I’ve never had issues with them.

Sometimes the setup is straightforward. Other times it’s more complicated. It depends on the client and the project. How long the deployment takes depends on what they want.

You only need one person to handle deployment and maintenance tasks.

We are an integrator and can help customers set up the solution.

While there may be a potential for ROI, I don’t track it.

I’m not sure about the licensing. I don’t handle this aspect of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We’re platinum partners with F5 in Greece. We’re integrators and resellers. We work with different versions.

The solution can be deployed both on the cloud and on-premises.

I’d recommend the solution to others.

I would rate the solution nine out of ten. We’ve been pretty happy with its capabilities.

Microsoft Azure
F5 Advanced WAF
August 2022
622,949 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Richard Polyak - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr. Architect Individual Contributor at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Protects our environment and is easy to use and scalable for our needs
  • "Identification, ease of use, and ease of modifying it to most of our needs are valuable."
  • "There should be more ability to rate limit certain scenarios. The majority of the time, it is either on or off. For certain types of use cases, there should be the ability to rate limit, not just enable or disable."

What is our primary use case?

It protects our public entities. Its use case is very directed at a resolution of security.

How has it helped my organization?

It protects our environment. It protects our entities.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There should be more ability to rate limit certain scenarios. The majority of the time, it is either on or off. For certain types of use cases, there should be the ability to rate limit, not just enable or disable.

It is a very CPU-intensive application. I understand why, but I'm hoping that they could optimize the CPU utilization a little bit better.

I have been using this solution for eight years.

It is stable.

It is very scalable for what we need. It is a public-facing service. So, everybody on the internet would be able to utilize this type of service.

We are exploring areas to increase its usage.

I would rate them an eight out of ten.

Positive

We used other public entities for similar use cases.

It is pretty straightforward. A typical setup for these types of projects takes three months.

It is all done in-house. We do everything in-house.

In its maintenance, I and other people are involved. The daily operations, which include modifying policies, are up to the individual application owners because they understand their applications a lot better than I or our standard operating team would. So, their usage might go higher than mine.

We have very much seen an ROI. It protects our revenue stream.

The way we deployed it, I would rate it a four out of five in terms of pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise doing your homework. It could be very simplified, or it could be very complex, but definitely, do your homework with the owners of the application because they understand the application more than certain people.

Information Security Coordinator at a non-tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Enables us to monitor IP locations
  • "We can monitor IP locations, but we have constraints from each country. It has a replication feature. Licenses can be shared, taking turns with each license."
  • "The reporting could be clearer and embedded to include our movement data."

What is our primary use case?

We have many types of service, provided by the company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The reporting could be clearer and embedded to include our movement data. The product could improve the interface by reducing the bookmarking more frequently and some other features. Ideally, it could do with a brand new interface. There is sometimes information overload in the logs. It is sometimes difficult to detect attacks on the firewall because it is hidden amongst many other data. The logs are not always helpful in this regard. I was disappointed in the reporting.

We have been using F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall for about one year and the same for Fortinet FortiWeb.

Scalability is fine, and we don't have any complaints so far. It's flexible once you want to expand it, but that includes the license upgrade for additional features.

We use a reseller for technical support. Technical support is very good.

We have looked at other options, but they have different solutions to the F5 Advanced Web Application Firewall.

Setup and installation are easy.

We use the reseller to implement it from scratch until it is fully deployed. Implementation does not take long.

There are various plans available for Fortinet FortiWeb Cloud WAF as a Service, including a trial version. You are only charged by the total data transferred, and there are hourly charges for the protected web application.

We are constantly looking out for features which are not available in the current product. We have set alerts to flag when these features become available.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as 9 out of 10. They can combine firewall software with other software solutions with this product. It has a good community to see what other ideas for the product are out there.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Key account manager
Easy to use and configure, stable, and secure
  • "The most valuable feature is that it is secure."
  • "The interface is old-looking, it's not modern, which is why it's not always comfortable to use."

What is our primary use case?

I was working in sales. We would provide more corporate products. I am not implementing or deploying this solution. I would sell it for projects in the enterprise direction, but it was mostly for financial institutions and some government companies.

It usually used for e-commerce and financial services. Products that banks provide to their customers. It also offers protection of the services.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and it's also easy to configure.

The most valuable feature is that it is secure.

What needs improvement?

I would hope that they provide some updates sooner rather than later.

I have used F5 Advanced WAF for three months in the last year.

We were using the latest version and we update on a regular basis.

It's a very stable solution.

This is a scalable product.

Our customers are in the banking system and we have approximately 200 to a few thousand customers.

We have official support from the distribution channel. One of our distributors is in Ukraine.

They have their own support definition provided with some certifications who are responsible for providing support at the vendor level.

We usually ask for their support and they provide it to us.

Previously, we used BIG-IP and we used Web Application Firewall.

I was not involved in the installation.

What other advice do I have?

I am currently working on a B2C channel, which is more for retail companies.

I have also been working with Apple company for a little bit more than a month.

I am working with all-in-one products with all services included.

I would recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. It's not popular in our country but it's unique in itself. There are some segments that became more important on a regular basis, especially for large companies and enterprise segments.

It's a secure product. I would rate F5 Advanced WAF an eight out of ten.

Territory Manager at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Useful balancer, simple policy changes, and scalable
  • "The most valuable features of F5 Advanced WAF are the balancer and you can change policies very easily."
  • "The overall price of F5 Advanced WAF could improve."

What is our primary use case?

F5 Advanced WAF can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud. When it comes to local governmental organizations, it's mostly on-premises solutions they use. However, we recommend using virtual ones.

F5 Advanced WAF is used for protecting applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of F5 Advanced WAF are the balancer and you can change policies very easily.

What needs improvement?

The overall price of F5 Advanced WAF could improve.

I have been familiar with F5 Advanced WAF for approximately one year.

I have not had any customers complaining about the stability.

F5 Advanced WAF is scalable.

The initial setup of F5 Advanced WAF is easy.

I rate the setup of F5 Advanced WAF a four out of five.

The ease of maintenance of F5 Advanced WAF depends from customer to customer. If the company had someone trained or they have an inside person who is reliable for this maintenance, they typically do not have any problems.

The price of F5 Advanced WAF could improve it is expensive.

There can be extra features added at an additional cost.

I rate the price of F5 Advanced WAF a three out of five.

Our clients pick this solution over others because it is one of the leading companies in the category.

What other advice do I have?

I can recommend F5 Advanced WAF to any customer because we have experience, and referrals from customers using it within different models. If it comes to WAF, LTM, or whatever. I'm very happy to sell it because it is one of the leading vendors within its line. Our customers within the financial market, such as banking organizations, are very happy with it.

I rate F5 Advanced WAF a nine out of ten.

Head Of Information Security (CISO) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Strong security solution with many valuable features though it could be more scalable
  • "There are a lot of good features."
  • "I would like for there to be a cloud-based solution, this would also help to improve scalability."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web application protection. The solution offers layer seven protection of the applications and can be configured against attacks.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of good features.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about a year or so.

This solution is quite stable.

Scalability is limited since it is an on-premise solution. You will have to size your box properly, based your throughput and capacity. Our company uses it to protect all traffic of out 5.5 thousand users and we have plans to expand the usage.

Support was helpful when we reached out.

We used Kona Defender and Akamai Web Application Firewall for about a year prior to using F5. The main reason that we switched was due to costs.

The initial setup was rather complex taking a lot of time and information to be configured. We have two administrators for maintenance.

Our consultant was able to help us integrate the solution in a day or two.

There is a perpetual license that comes with your hardware. There is also an additional fee for support.

What other advice do I have?

When you choose to go with F5, be sure to size your box properly so that the capacity is taken care of. From there, you will be able to easily configure the platform to provide you with a lot of value. Overall, I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Quoc Nguyen - PeerSpot reviewer
F5 Product Manager at Westcon-Comstor
Reseller
A solution that would benefit with more documentation regarding bot protection
  • "The most valuable features of F5 Advanced WAF are the security features and the protection."
  • "F5 Advanced needs to improve its bot protection. The solution needs to have machine learning to learn the behavior of the customer to recognize the human versus the bot. This is a difficult feature to explain to our customers. I would like documentation about the bot feature to make it easier for the customer to understand."

What is our primary use case?

We are distributors in Vietnam. We consult for our customers and I am a Product Manager. We use F5 Advanced WAF as a firewall for our website applications and the websites of our customers.

What is most valuable?

In the future, I would like to see F5 include AI in the hardware of F5 Advanced WAF.

What needs improvement?

I have been using F5 Advanced WAF for two years.

The solution is stable.

F5 Advanced WAF is scalable.

We tend to handle our own technical support for our customers. My experience with F5 support is a three out of five overall. They need to improve the information and training of the receiver.

Positive

The initial setup was neither easy nor difficult. I would rate setup as a four out of five.

The pricing of F5 Advanced WAF is more expensive than other solutions like Radware and CD18, it is quite high. I rate the product a one out of five for price, with one being expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, I would rate F5 Advanced WAF an eight out of ten overall.

Download our free F5 Advanced WAF Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022