Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
User at Fluor Corporation
Compact and reliable storage solution that supports high performance workloads
  • "PowerEdge Rack Servers offer good performance in handling the evolving needs of high-performance workloads and offer good value for money."
  • "The security of this solution could be improved. We have very specific needs as an engineering company and require multiple layers of security. This is not offered when implementing the Dell hardware."

What is our primary use case?

We run the 900 and 700 models.

How has it helped my organization?

PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel offer good performance in handling the evolving needs of high-performance workloads and offer good value for money.

The Intel Xeon scalable processor has helped to improve the performance of our targeted workloads. Dell's OpenManage console is easy to use.

PowerEdge Rack Servers has affected the overall flexibility of our operations. We are able to build our data centers with multiple clusters, and that provides sufficient scalability for us to do bigger deployments.

What is most valuable?

The support that you receive from Dell after buying this product is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

The long lead times in receiving hardware could be improved.

We have experienced issues with memory. We received help from the Dell team and this has been resolved.

The security of this solution could be improved. We have very specific needs as an engineering company and require multiple layers of security. This is not offered when implementing the Dell hardware.

Dell's OpenManage console is easy to use but could be better by offering additional features. The console has not decreased the time it takes to deploy new data centers.

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel for over 15 years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

The customer service for this solution is very good. I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Positive

We have used different solutions including Lenovo. We currently use Dell for all of our needs from our user hardware to our infrastructure data center.

The initial setup is straightforward. We had 10 staff members involved in the deployment. The server bill team set up the hardware and the DMR team ran the virtualization layer over it. The security team completed the checks. We have about 55,000 users supported by this solution.

The licensing is expensive and inflexible.

What other advice do I have?

For anyone looking for a reliable storage solution, I would recommend PowerEdge.

Yaroslav Shehtman - PeerSpot reviewer
Integration Engineer at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Good when it comes to handling high-performance workloads, and security features work great
  • "I love the updates from the iDRAC, they are very nice. The installation is easy. Replacement, if something fails, is so easy and so good."
  • "There are issues, of course, but not major issues. On a scale of one to 10, the stability is a nine."

What is our primary use case?

We install a lot of VMware and vSAN on the Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel.

How has it helped my organization?

All the customers that I have implemented PowerEdge for are very happy and like the performance. I think PowerEdge has improved the entire system where I have implemented it.

Intel's Xeon scalable processors used in PowerEdge Rack Servers have helped to improve the performance of the targeted workloads by about 20 percent, according to feedback from our customers.

What is most valuable?

• I love the updates from the iDRAC, they are very nice.
  • The installation is easy.
  • Replacement, if something fails, is so easy and so good.

PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel are also good at handling high-performance workloads. It depends on the CPU, of course, and the type of server, but the performance is great.

In addition, all the security features work great. That is a very important part.

Dell's OpenManage console is user-friendly. You can connect to everything from Dell. It's simple. In the companies where I have implemented it, I have shown the IT staff how to use it and they are happy with it. I don't know if they use it every day, but during the implementation, it seems like it's good for them.

What needs improvement?

I don't really know where PowerEdge could be improved. I really like these servers. Even VxRail works great with them. Maybe they could change the logo to something more beautiful.

I have been using Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers for about five years.

PowerEdge is very stable.

There are issues, of course, but not major issues. On a scale of one to 10, the stability is a nine.

The scalability of all brands is great, and that includes Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers powered by Intel.

I like Dell's tech support very much. Not just for PowerEdge Rack servers but for all of Dell's products, if I have issues, the online support answers and gives solutions very quickly.

Positive

It normally takes one day to integrate PowerEdge.

Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers
September 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Mohammed Farooqui - PeerSpot reviewer
Platform and Backup Support Senior Manager at Alinma Bank
A centralized data processing solution that offered immediate ROI
  • "The complete hyper-converged infrastructure of this solution has been most useful. PowerEdge has helped to reduce data processing time by 20%."
  • "Since the start of COVID, there is a shortage of support resources and it is challenging to get queries resolved quickly."

What is our primary use case?

We used PowerEdge Rack Servers to transfer all of our physical servers and legacy systems into a virtualized environment on VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

When we moved to PowerEdge Rack Servers, we converted all the physical legacy servers to the virtualized server. This reduced the operational cost, maintenance, and availability of the environment by 30 to 40%.

This solution's analytics have helped to decrease downtime. We were previously maintaining functionality by 92 to 93%, and this has increased to 98 to 99%.

What is most valuable?

The security features that PowerEdge provides have been very useful for our environment. We have integrated iDRAC Telemetry with our internal centralized monitoring tool, HPSM.

The complete hyper-converged infrastructure of this solution has been most useful. PowerEdge helped to reduce the data processing time by 20%. The system's management frameworks enabled us to progress towards full automation.

This is a very stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We have almost 800 servers hosted on PowerEdge as well as almost all major banking applications.

I would rate the technical support for this solution a seven out of ten. Since the start of COVID, there is a shortage of support resources and it is challenging to get queries resolved quickly.

We previously used HPE servers, but found that Dell offered enhanced features in comparison and was the best option in Saudi Arabia. Dell offered stability and scalability.

Deployment took approximately a week. Initially, we required three people to do the deployment. After the deployment, we have three people dedicated to doing operations and maintenance.

The initial setup was completed by Dell.

Within 24 months, we saw return on investment by using this solution.

The pricing is good compared to other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend PowerEdge Rack Servers because it is very stable and easy to deploy, manage, and maintain. It also offers reliable performance.

Private Cloud
Dragan Lazic - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Technology Manager at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
Memory processing and storage solution that has increased staff productivity by 25%
  • "This solution has helped decrease production down time by 25%. The system management capabilities of PowerEdge has helped increase staff productivity by 25% and helped to reduce data processing time in our organization by 10%."
  • "The data analytics for this solution could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We specifically used the VMware and ESX host.

How has it helped my organization?

The system integration details are our favourite feature and the fact that we can maintain and control the systems remotely.

The iDRAC Telemetry for monitoring the PowerEdge system is useful. Some of our servers are not in our data centers so we are able to manage them remotely, in case of an outage or any other problem.

What is most valuable?

This solution is really reliable. The storage functionality is our favourite feature. I would rate this solution a ten out of ten when it comes to running the latest high-demand applications. It is easy to work with, maintain and deploy.

Lastly, this solution has helped decrease production down time by 25%. The system management capabilities of PowerEdge have helped increase staff productivity by 25% and helped to reduce data processing time in our organization by 10%.

What needs improvement?

The data analytics for this solution could be improved.

I have been using this solution for 15 years.

This is a stable solution. It offers reliability and we have not had any outages. It improves with every generation.

This is a scalable solution. We have 200 employees making use of a full stack of applications supported by this solution.

I would rate the support for this solution a seven out of ten. This is due to the fact that there is sometimes a shortage of parts.

Neutral

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took two days. We implemented new power servers in a cluster one by one.

This solution is reasonably priced and licenses are easy to acquire.

What other advice do I have?

The PowerEdge system management frameworks have enabled our business to progress towards full automation. This has freed up time to focus on different parts of the business, rather than constantly monitoring issues.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Business Continuity and Data Center Manager at a outsourcing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A perfect and stable solution with reconstructive compatibility
  • "The reconstructive compatibility with VMware ESXi is the most valuable."
  • "The only thing that could be improved is documentation. During the installation, it would be good to have some information about how is it going."

What is our primary use case?

I use Dell R740 servers series as the main compute server to host IT workloads.

It's an excellent choice and it's integrated well with Dell-VMWare virtualization OS (ESXi).

How has it helped my organization?

Dell R series are very good engineered servers. Reliability and durability are the key to choose this product. This is a cornerstone to build a highly available IT system.

What is most valuable?

The reconstructive compatibility with VMware ESXi is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that could be improved is documentation. The product is highly customizable with a lot of options for each component. These options are not easily understood. It would be great to offer more user-friendly interface/Documentation to build up the system.

I have been using this solution for four years.

It is very stable.

It is scalable. We can scale it by adding nodes, but some software and licenses are required for that. We have around 60 users using it on a daily basis

I never contacted them. We are usually able to resolve any issues within the company.

Yes, I installed and administered HP Proliant servers. It was a good product in my experience.

I switched because we got a competitive price.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We have three team members for its deployment and regular maintenance.

It's easy to install and configure with suitable server administrator.

iDrac management solution is included with the server. It provides suitable zero-cost solution for monitoring and managing your hardware.

Yes we evaluate all possible alternatives like:

HP and Lenovo

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for rack servers. It is perfect.

I would rate Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers an nine out of ten.

IT Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Compact storage solution that can be customized to suit any environment
  • "iDRAC is the most valuable feature because of the ease of use and management and everything that it provides is super useful. The security features that PowerEdge provides, including firmware threat detection is good."
  • "The quality of support for this solution varies. Sometimes you get agents who are amazing and other times you get agents who take a long time to resolve your query."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for general computing and for ESX hosts for our virtual environment.

How has it helped my organization?

We are a partner who sells PowerEdge to many different customers, and we also use it in our own environment. The solution can be customized based on a customer's needs and allows us to build whatever we need in our own environment at that particular moment.

The system management capabilities of PowerEdge helped increase stack productivity. The solution's accelerated GPUs helped support demanding workloads for some of our customer's environments. PowerEdge helped to reduce data processing time in our company which has made us work faster.

What is most valuable?

iDRAC is the most valuable feature because of the ease of use and management, and everything that it provides is super useful. The security features that PowerEdge provides, including firmware threat detection is good.

We do not currently use this solution's CloudIQ functionality for predictive analytics but we would like to use it in the future.

I have used this solution for five years.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is scalable. The way this solution is able to scale is impressive. Depending on how you build your PowerEdge server, it can serve the lowest end of customers up to the highest, depending on what their needs are. Whatever a customer is trying to accomplish, can usually be customized for their environment.

The quality of support for this solution varies. Sometimes you get agents who are amazing and other times you get agents who take a long time to resolve your query. I would rate support for this solution a six and a half out of ten.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took one to two hours.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Florent ADODO - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Easy to use and the documentation is good, but response time from support could be improved
  • "You are provided with excellent instructions."
  • "They need to improve the support, as they are not very responsive, and they don't get back to you right away."

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use.

For every option, there is documentation with at least two lines of explanation.

You are provided with excellent instructions.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the support, as they are not very responsive, and they don't get back to you right away.

We have been working with Dell EMC PowerEdge Rack Servers for several years.

It's a stable solution and we plan to continue using it.

Dell EMC PowerEdge is not very scalable. This is an area that can improve.

We have 389 users in our organization.

The critical issue is when you send them an email, you will not get a reply for two or three days.

They are happy to fix your issues but they are not very responsive.

We started when we had Windows 7 in 2012, and have now upgraded to Dell EMC.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took two days to complete the installation.

We have one person to maintain it.

We had help from an integrator during our implementation. We have been using these integrators for five years.

It's a one-time licensing fee for the device and we pay a quota per year for the support.

What other advice do I have?

We deploy both on-premises and on the cloud, but at this time we are using on-premise only because we have to get additional access to the cloud.

This is a good product. I would recommend it for small to mid-size companies, but not for large companies who manage several computers. The response time for their support could be faster.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Vendor Account Manager at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Centralized storage solution that has minimized downtime and allowed us to solve problems remotely
  • "This solution keeps us up and running and reduces downtime. PowerEdge helped us to reduce data processing time. The PowerEdge systems management frameworks enabled us to progress towards full automation."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our SAP system to catalogue our sales, sales products and pricing. We also use this solution for all Microsoft applications.

How has it helped my organization?

The patches that are often released for this solution help us stay on top of our game, which is essential as we provide solutions to the government.

This solution keeps us up and running and reduces downtime. PowerEdge has helped us to reduce data processing time. The PowerEdge systems management frameworks have enabled us to progress towards full automation.

What is most valuable?

The automatic updates provided in the system have been the most valuable. The notifications that get sent out help us keep on top of making sure security patches are updated weekly.

The iDRAC commentary embedded in this solution allows our IT department to detect problems whenever and wherever they arise. They are then able to resolve these problems from a remote location 80% of the time.

This solution does everything we need to do.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We have 35 employees who focus primarily on sales.

The technical support for this solution is good.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward. The solution's deployment team that assisted are on top of their game. They are easy to contact and set it up fairly quickly.

The pricing for this solution is competitive compared to others on the market.

What other advice do I have?

Our IT department have not had any complaints using this solution and have preferred its performance compared to what they used to use.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
    Download our free Dell PowerEdge Rack Servers Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022