We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Director of Product Management at a engineering company with 11-50 employees
Reliable, good scalability, and easy to configure through the command-line interface
  • "One of the most valuable features is the MatchBox Switch."
  • "They need to simplify the Web GUI and make it easier to use, and more intuitive for the users."

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for AV, Audio-Video applications, over IP solutions. It's to forward Audio-Video IP packets based on the ITMP protocol. I also needed a POE port to power the transmitters and receivers.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the MatchBox Switch.

What needs improvement?

I used to use the CLI, the command line, but some users may want to use the Web GUI.

They need to simplify the Cisco 2960 Web GUI control, but not the entire version or the functionality for the Web GUI control.

IT people will most often use the CLI to configure the Cisco Switch.

I have more than ten years of experience working with Cisco Switches.

It's stable. The Catalyst Switches are reliable.

The scalability is good.

I have not contacted Cisco technical support.

There are several training videos available on YouTube.

If you Google, you can very easily gather material or training videos on how to configure the Cisco switch.

The Cisco website itself is too complicated for the user and there are too many things on it. If the users are not familiar with Cisco, it's very difficult to find useful information on the Cisco website.

In general, I don't use the Cisco website. I just Google the Cisco user manual or training video on YouTube to learn how to configure some features.

If you are familiar with the Cisco Switch, it is pretty straightforward to configure it using the CLI.

If you are not familiar, in general, you will use the Web GUI.

What other advice do I have?

There are several YouTube videos available to help configure the Cisco switches. It is very easy to configure them.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches and eight out of ten. It's a pretty good switch.

Owner & General Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Advanced customization and manageability

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for a full range of layer two and only limited set of layer three services. We are a backbone company and we provide a public service. The traffic of millions of users traverse Cisco switches, but they are not within our company. It's a public service. We plan to increase our usage of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The operating system is great.

What needs improvement?

They need to implement sFlow, other than that, I can't think of anything else that needs to be improved — I am happy.

We have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for roughly 10 years.

Cisco Catalyst Switches are very stable. We've been using them for 10…

What is our primary use case?

We plan to increase our usage of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The operating system is great.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for roughly 10 years.

Cisco Catalyst Switches are very stable. We've been using them for 10 years without any issues.

We use an old model, they're not designed to be scalable. But in general, the Catalyst networking suite is scalable.

For our application which is rather simple, we are using only 5% of the features that Cisco Catalyst switches offer. We haven't encountered any problems and therefore, we have not had to call technical support.

We used to use other products, but our CTO loves Cisco.

The initial setup is straightforward and very fast. In total, the whole installation process took two days.

We deployed this solution by ourselves.

3-years

The price could always be lower.

Arista, Fiber Store, Dell, Extreme Networks

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Cisco Catalyst Switches a rating of ten.

Other
Learn what your peers think about Cisco Catalyst Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Network and Security Engineer at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Stable, easy to use, and familiar to local engineers
  • "Catalyst switches are highly stable and easy to use. It's a technology well known by most engineers."
  • "It is kind of expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the Catalyst 9200 series as a network switch and the 9500 as a core switch. We sometimes use a 9300 for the distribution switch.

What is most valuable?

Catalyst switches are highly stable and easy to use. It's a technology well known by most engineers.

We are an enterprise end-user. We also consult for other government entities and recommend using certain technologies to them. I've been working at this business and using Catalyst Switches for a year now.

Catalyst switches are highly scalable.

I'm satisfied with support from Cisco and the vendor as well as their partners here in Egypt.

It is a straightforward installation. You don't need anyone to install Catalyst Switches for you. You just add it to your network and then do the installation and configuration as well as the pre-setup preparations. It doesn't take a lot of time. You take the switch from the box and put it in the network, then configure it directly. The switch will only take about 30 minutes to configure.

Cisco licenses are yearly. A single 9000 series Catalyst switch is about 75,000 Egyptian pounds. It is kind of expensive. But compared to other switches, it will save you in the long run. You need to hire specialized engineers who know how to operate those devices, and some of them are rarer in Egypt, like FortiSwitch or HPE Switch. Most engineers know how to use Cisco Catalyst. You would need to hire a specialist engineer and train them, and that will cost money. There are other cheaper technologies, but for Cisco, the price is expected.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cisco Catalyst Switches 10 out of 10. I would recommend it. This is a leading technology, and the price is reasonable, especially the Catalyst switches I mentioned. Other types of Catalyst switches are more expensive, but the ones we use are more affordable.

Ravikumar Subbiah
IT MANGER PAN-INDIA at Escon Elevator Private Limited
Flexible, easy to use, and offers good performance
  • "The product is very robust."
  • "The price is something we would definitely like improved. It would be nice if it was more economical."

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use. We've found that it isn't overly technical and is, in fact, quite user-friendly.

The product is extremely flexible.

The stability of the solution has been very good. We've found the performance to be very reliable.

The initial setup is mostly pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex.

The product is very robust.

What needs improvement?

The configuration setup is a little more complex if you go into detail.

I've been using the solution for about four years or so. It's been a while. I've had some time with the technology and am pretty comfortable with it.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. We like the performance. It's reliable.

We have about 50 people using the solution currently.

I previously Juniper switches. I am not using them anymore. I was using them about three years ago.

The initial setup is okay. It's not overly difficult. The configuration can be a bit tricky, however, depending on the complexity involved.

The pricing could be improved.  It's a bit high right now.

What other advice do I have?

A lot of my colleagues are using Cisco switches. I often touch base with them to share know-how on the technology.

I'm not using the latest version of the solution. I'm using an older version right now.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate the solution at a nine. We've been quite pleased with the solution overall.

I would recommend the solution to other users, companies, and organizations. It's quite robust and flexible.

Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Useful for core switching, very stable, and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

Cisco Catalyst Switches are more for core switching because they are enterprise solutions. We mostly use Cisco for all of our infrastructure, so these switches are used everywhere as core switches.

What is most valuable?

These switches are very stable. We haven't had any problems. We also have some old switches that are working for almost ten years.

What needs improvement?

Their price should be cheaper. We lose a lot of work because of the price that they have.

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

They are very stable.

We have a hundred users and maybe a hundred other…

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for more than 10 years.

They are very stable.

We have a hundred users and maybe a hundred other ports for connecting servers with each other.

I have opened a case with them for the FirePOWER Services, not Cisco Catalyst Switches, and it is the first time that I haven't got a response. It has been a week since I've sent the request, which was just a question, but I don't have any response so far. For the previous cases that I had with tech support, they were very quick.

If you have experience in working with Cisco solutions, the initial setup is easy. Otherwise, it may be complicated.

The deployment doesn't take a long time. We already have the guidelines, and we have been doing it and using Cisco for a long time. It usually takes a maximum of one hour to configure the switches. Two people will be enough for deploying these switches.

These switches are expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend these switches to others. We plan to keep using them.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches a ten out of ten. We are happy with them.

Telecommunication Department Head at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reasonably priced with good routing capabilities but needs to be more stable
  • "The installation process is very straightforward."
  • "We would like the solution to be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for getting network switching and routing for the telephone exchange here.

What is most valuable?

The solution is rather inexpensive.

The product has very good routing capabilities.

The installation process is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We would like the solution to be more stable.

I've been using the solution for about five years or so. It's been a while.

The solution's stability is questionable. It's something they could work on. It would be ideal if it had better performance and reliability.

I've bever dealt directly with technical support as everything so far has been fine. We haven't had any issues or required any assistance so far.

We previously used Huawei switches, however, we do not use them anymore. We have completely moved away from them.

We have found that the installation process isn't overly complex or difficult. It was pretty straightforward and simple for us. We didn't face any complexity issues.

For every switch, it took a few hours to be adjusted and managed.

We only needed one technical person for deployment and maintenance.

We had a manager that was able to handle the initial setup. We didn't hire any consultants or integrators.

We found the product to be reasonably priced. It's not too expensive.

We do not pay a licensing fee to use the product.

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solutions, including versions 12 and 15X.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're mostly happy with the product.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

System Administrator at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Helps us connect drivers and desktops, the expandability provides flexibility
  • "A very expandable solution."
  • "The switches could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is for connecting up drivers and desktops. I'm a system administrator and we're a customer of Cisco.

What is most valuable?

I like the expandability of the solution. I have a pair of 6509 catalyst switches and they use the add on boards. I also like the dual power supplies.

What needs improvement?

We are not working off the latest version so the switches on the product are very old and that could be improved. The one gig boards are strictly one gig and not backward compatible. This switch also does not have power over ethernet, so that's old.

I'd like to see a better web interface. I can't tell you what the existing generations have so I'm sure there have been improvements. These are so old and I'm sure modern switches now have much better tools to interface with them.

I've been using this solution for over 10 years.

It's clearly very stable, otherwise we wouldn't be using it anymore. The fact that we still use it shows how stable it is.

That switch was very scalable because itwas one of the ones that had nine slots in it. So it could have additional boards within.

The initial setup was fairly straightforward but we're not doing anything fancy with it.

We're not paying maintenance - these switches were end of life years ago. Maintenance is separate from licensing. Now there is no additional monthly recurring cost on the Cisco switches that we are running.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has been good to us, it's very solid.

I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Science Technician at a government with 201-500 employees
Is easy to configure and resolves our internal problems
  • "The most valuable feature is the interface, it's easy to configure. The command line uses a switch that gives us security."
  • "They should also have a graphic interface for the switches too without the command line."

What is our primary use case?

We have an Academy, we know how to manage it. We have the knowledge to manage it and it gives us security. We can configure the switch to resolve our internal problems. We can use one switch for five to six years.

It's used for our processor, a small data center, and we have our network with at least 500 users.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface, it's easy to configure. The command line uses a switch that gives us security.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, they should lower the price. It's too expensive.

I have been using Cisco Catalyst Switches for ten years.

The stability is good.

We have 500 users.

It requires us to have at least 10 technicians. Five technicians and other administrative staff.

In the future, we need to do disaster recovery in the cloud. We are working on-premise and our future is to use it on the cloud for our disaster recovery.

We have a contract with a company that gives us support.

The initial setup was not very complex.

We used a consultant for the implementation.

Licensing is on a yearly basis. We usually spend up to $20,000.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it because it's a good solution that gives you security and is easy to use.

I would rate Cisco Catalyst Switches an eight out of ten. They respond to all of our needs.

Download our free Cisco Catalyst Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.