IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Ahmed-Ramy - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at TMentors
Great support and good availability of resources but the Windows Server Core needs to link to a console
  • "The support that Microsoft provides for this is very good."
  • "For countries in the Middle East and Africa, their pricing is a little bit high."

What is our primary use case?

We do software services, and most of the time we use this for UAT and testing purposes.

What is most valuable?

The availability of resources that are aware of Windows is great. It's more than any operating system.

The support that Microsoft provides for this is very good. If you have an issue with the Windows Server, you'll get a lot of support from Microsoft.

The integration is great.

The interface and dashboards are fine.

What needs improvement?

While I would say scripting needs improvement, I've noticed that they started to do this couple of years ago. They do have their own WSL and PowerShell Scripts.

Generally, there is always room for improvement. However, nothing comes on top of my head right now.

For countries in the Middle East and Africa, their pricing is a little bit high. Microsoft is having unified pricing across the globe. That's an issue. They don't negotiate on that. It's very expensive for many countries in this region.

They have something called Windows Server Core, and it doesn't have a graphical user interface, which is fine. However, there should be a management console or something that you can hook up to Windows Server Core so you can manage it much easier if you need UI or something.

We have used the solution since the beginning of the company, about 12 years at this point.

Windows Server
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Technical support is great. If a company needs assistance, Microsoft is great at helping assist in troubleshooting. We are satisfied with the level of support.

We use Windows and Azure, Google Cloud GCP, and many flavors of Linux. For the database, we also use SQL Server and MySQL.

The pricing is high in certain regions as they don't price adjust for certain countries. They also do not negotiate their pricing. The cost is the cost.

What other advice do I have?

We use various deployment models, including on-premises, on the cloud, and hybrid.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. If the pricing was more flexible, it would be better for the customer.

Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, easy to implement, and has a nice interface
  • "We find the initial implementation process to be quick and easy."
  • "The technical support needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mainly used for personal tasks. A lot of the customers are working with Microsoft solutions. This product works well with Microsoft. That's why we provide the Microsoft Windows Server solution to a lot of our customers.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability has been good.

We find the initial implementation process to be quick and easy.

The interface is good.

We've found the level of security to be fine.

What needs improvement?

The technical support needs to be improved.

I've been using the solution for eight years. It's been a while. I've used it for almost a decade.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution is very scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We only have about 14 people on the solution currently.

Microsoft technical support isn't ideal. They could improve their services. We're not 100% satisfied.

They could be faster, more knowledgeable, and more customer-friendly. They need to provide more direct answers.

The installation process isn't too difficult. It's fairly straightforward.

The deployment is fast and only takes about three or four hours or so. It doesn't take long.

In my organization, we have eight people that can handle deployment or maintenance tasks.

As integrators, we can set up the solution for our clients. I can handle a deployment myself. It's not overly complex.

Customers do need to pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I work with both the on-premises and cloud deployment models.

We're an integrator.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We're pretty happy with its capabilities.

That said, in Thailand, they do not sell many Windows Servers, so it's difficult to use the product, Windows Server, a lot.

Windows Server
July 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Technology Officer at a financial services firm with 11-50 employees
Easy to install, scalable, and stable
  • "The product is scalable."
  • "The solution needs container compatibility."

What is our primary use case?

It's there just hosting the SQL Servers and they're not using IIS or some Microsoft-specific technology. We're just hosting some MSSQL.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The product is scalable.

The solution is pretty easy to install.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to any missing features. I don't have any opinion on how to improve the product.

The solution needs container compatibility. Windows Server is not able via Docker, for example.

I've been using the solution for half a year.

The solution is stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The solution scales well. A company shouldn't have any issues if they want to scale.

That said, I didn't choose Windows Server for that kind of purpose. It's just there for hosting the SQL Server.

There is one user for the Windows Server itself. Everyone else is using just the database and not the Windows Server.

We haven't dealt with technical support yet. I haven't been in contact with them.

We're also using Linux Servers.

The solution is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex.

While I didn't handle the installation myself, I would estimate deployment takes about 20 to 30 minutes.

We have four team members that are able to handle deployment and maintenance.

We had a team member who handled the implementation in-house. We did not need a consultant or integrator.

I don't have any insights into the licensing.

What other advice do I have?

We use the solution both on-premises and on the cloud.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten. I'm neutral on it. It doesn't impress me. It just does what it does.

I'd advise those considering the solution that if they want to run some Microsoft-specific applications, then there's a lot of choices.

Principal Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Stable platform that is easy to use and integrates well, and has a supportive technical team
  • "The features that I like the most are that it's easy to use and the integration."
  • "In terms of support, it's pretty complicated when you have to study the documentation."

What is our primary use case?

Our use cases are usually data and analytics. We are building platforms for our clients to exploit their data. We are building the data curation.

Also, the analytics for the front end, and the presentation of the data for the end-user.

What needs improvement?

It would definitely be helpful if the documentation could be more straightforward.

I have been working with Windows Server for eight years.

We are usually working with the latest version.

Windows Server is stable.

It's a scalable product. The number of users depends on our customers. Some customers have as many as 50 users while some others have 15 users. It really depends on the clients, but we're not in the thousands of end-users.

The technical support is pretty good. We have a good relationship with our vendor's specialists. We mostly work with Microsoft and some other vendors.

Overall, they are supportive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

It took approximately a month to deploy, but it depends on the number of installations we have. Some are larger and some smaller.

We need two or three staff members to deploy it. They are PDAs, they are infrastructure people who have the tech knowledge.

We have a team in our organization that we call specialists to configure the server. They are tech-savvy, and they know all about the backend.

We are integrators.

There are licensing costs for this solution, although it's not expensive. Microsoft is relatively inexpensive compared to other database platforms.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who want to use Windows Server.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Solutions Specialist at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to install, and can be deployed on-premises or on the cloud
  • "It is very stable and easy to install."
  • "I would like Windows to come up lighter because the footprint itself can consume more than 300GB. It would probably take close to 100GB of space to install a Windows operating system because it has got so many features."

What is most valuable?

It is very stable and easy to install.

Installation doesn't require a technical team.

Windows Server can be deployed anywhere, like on your desktop, laptop, cell phone, or on the cloud.

What needs improvement?

I would like Windows to come up lighter because the footprint itself can consume more than 300GB. It would probably take close to 100GB of space to install a Windows operating system because it has got so many features. It should be a core minimalistic addition, and users also should be allowed to add other features when needed. It should be more modular in nature.

The software should be minimalistic. Instead of offering so many options, it should be ideally the core system. Then, if a customer wants to have Active Directory, they should be allowed to do it separately.

There are hundreds of services which are running unnecessarily and slowing the system down or affecting the performance, and that wouldn't be there, which will be an advantage. It will only be the key services that the customer wants to run.

Microsoft technical support could be improved.

I've been dealing with this solution for more than 14 years.

You can deploy it anywhere, like on your desktop, laptop, cell phone, or on the cloud. I have mainly worked on-prem, but recently, I have had a few cloud instances for testing.

The Windows operating system is stable.

My experience with Microsoft technical support has been bad. Getting support from Microsoft is really tough, but if you have some skills around Microsoft, you can do the troubleshooting yourself.

It is easy to install.

It's very simple and doesn't require a technical team.

If you're buying an instance in the cloud, then you'll pay for it monthly. Otherwise, a normal purchase is always upfront; there is no subscription model with Microsoft, at least for the Windows Server licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
A simple solution that's easy to use and has okay stability
  • "The product, overall, is very simple. It's easy to use and navigate. It's got a good design."
  • "The stability is okay, however, it could be better. It's an area that they could improve on if they wanted to."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a database.

What is most valuable?

The implementation is very easy. It doesn't give you any trouble.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for two years at this point.

The stability is somewhere in between good and bad. It's so-so. It could be better.

We have 15 people that use the solution, and five engineers that manage everything as necessary.

We do plan to continue to use the product going forward.

I don't really need the assistance of technical support. I'm an engineer. Typically, I can fix any issues that may arise. Therefore, I don't contact Microsoft. I can't speak to their support service and how helpful they are.

We found the initial setup to be very simple and straightforward. It's not complex. We didn't have any issues.

I can't recall how long the actual deployment took. It was a while ago now.

I handled the installation by myself. You only really need one person to deploy the product.

We have engineers that can handle maintenance on the solution in our company.

I handled the implementation myself. I didn't need to have the installation done by a consultant or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We only really use Windows Server for one thing. We don't have too complicated of a setup.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. I've mostly been happy with the product overall.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
SA at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
Enables you to use as a NFS file sharing space and has GUI
  • "From the very beginning, I have been using a Windows-based OS so for me, it's very easy because it's GUI compared to command line or something Linux-based."
  • "The only thing that could be improved is the price."
  • "The license is a one-time purchase. The cost could be less expensive. We have education pricing, so it's okay now because we pay less than other agencies."

What is our primary use case?

Currently, we are trying to use the solution as the host for a specific system. Another use case is as NFS files sharing space.

The solution is deployed on-premise.

What is most valuable?

From the very beginning, I have been using a Windows-based OS so for me, it's very easy because it's GUI compared to command line or something Linux-based. I prefer GUI, so Windows is very good for me.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that could be improved is the price.

I just installed the evaluation because I got the license product key, so I need to activate it. But to my surprise, I cannot activate the evaluation version so I need to recreate the VMs using the ISO that Microsoft gives to me.

I have been using this solution for around two years.

We haven't had any issues with stability. We have about eight people using the solution.

I haven't had any issues with the scalability because I'm using virtualization.

When I wanted to activate the Windows Server using the product key that I have just purchased, I used Microsoft support in Malaysia. They wanted me to forward the problem to the Microsoft support machine. It's very fast and they will respond even at night.

I haven't used any other solutions because my IT career began with using Windows.

The solution was easy to install. It didn't take longer than 10 minutes. We have two engineers for maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10. I recommend this solution.

Assistant Vice President Global IT at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up with good performance and helpful technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for hosting applications. We have six applications, which are VMs.

What is most valuable?

The stability and performance are great.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution can scale.

Technical support is great.

What needs improvement?

We've had a few minor compatibility issues.

We have been using Windows Server for 20 to 25 years at this point. It's likely been over two decades. We've used it for quite a while.

The solution is extremely stable and the performance has been great. The product doesn't crash or freeze. We don't experience bugs or glitches. It's a reliable system.

The scalability is good. We moved from the 2012 version to the 2019 version and found that the scalability has improved.

We have about 10,000 users on the solution currently.

Technical support has been fine. We are satisfied with the level of support we get.

We previously used the 2012 version and have since moved to the 2019 version of Windows Server

The initial setup was very straightforward for us. We didn't run into any issues and didn't find any complexities or difficulties. We upgraded from the 2012 to the 2019 version and that took us about one day. It was pretty fast.

We have a team of about 15 technicians that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We did not use a consultant or integrator when we did the implementation. We handled it ourselves, in-house. We were quite capable of handling the process internally.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the 2019 version of the solution, which is the latest.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations and companies.