We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Technical and Project Manager Industrial Directorate EES CLEMESSY at a construction company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly, stable, good online support, and easy to maintain
  • "It's important to us that it is easy to use and has easy maintenance because we don't have specialists"
  • "The initial setup could be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We have many brands that we use here in our firm. As an example, we use Dell for our Laptops, we use Lenovo, we use IBM for our computers, Cisco for our switches, and Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

It's important to us that it is easy to use and has easy maintenance because we don't have specialists. It is necessary for us to have very simple maintenance procedures.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup could be simplified.

We have been using Windows Server for more than two years, maybe five or more.

It's a stable solution. We have not had any issues with stability.

We have 200 users in our organization who are using Windows Server.

We have plans to keep using this solution.

We have not contacted technical support.

I only use the support online.

We use Windows Server, and Windows 10 for our laptops and PCs.

The initial setup depends on the preparation of the units.

If it is prepared by a specialist then the installation is easy.

We have to make sure that it has been configured properly.

We have a team of 20 for the deployment and maintenance of this solution.

It is important to have the cheapest price for all of the material and licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We have so many customers with Windows Servers that we are obliged to use the same technical path.

We don't have any significant issues with Windows. I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
CEO South East Asia at a engineering company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, quick to deploy, and fairly scalable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for many purposes, the Active Directory, SQL, web server, and many other features.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very scalable.  The installation process is very straightforward.  Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The stability needs to be improved. I don't find it to be very stable. It's something they need to work on.

I've used the solution for many years at this point. it's been so long I've lost track of the exact amount of time, however, it's been a while.

The solution isn't as stable as it could be.

The product scales very well.…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The solution is very scalable.

The installation process is very straightforward.

Technical support is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution isn't as stable as it could be.

The product scales very well. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

We have about 2,000 users on the solution at this time. I can't speak to if we have plans to increase usage or not.

I am satisfied with technical support so far. They've been helpful and responsive.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's straightforward and pretty easy to execute.

The deployment is fast. It only takes us about 50 minutes to get everything up and running.

I handled the installation by myself. I did not need the assistance of an integrator or consultant. It's a pretty simple process.

What other advice do I have?

Right now, we are not on the latest version of the solution.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. For the most part, we have been happy with its capabilities.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,327 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GM: Information Systems at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
User friendly and compatible with other solutions
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of use and the compatibility with most other products."
  • "I would definitely like to see bolting monitoring tools. To monitor the server you usually have to install third party tools. I would like to be less reliant on third-party tools. They always create some sort of security issue regarding ports that need to be opened, that type of thing. Windows Server has internally monitorable software but remote monitoring software would be a great add-on."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server on virtual machines running off-premise.

This operating system for business can be useful for personal documents or any daily or routine stuff.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are its ease of use and the compatibility with most other products.

What needs improvement?

I would definitely like to see bolting monitoring tools. To monitor the server you usually have to install third party tools. I would like to be less reliant on third-party tools. They always create some sort of security issue regarding ports that need to be opened, that type of thing. Windows Server has internally monitorable software but remote monitoring software would be a great add-on.

In the next version I would like to see monitoring tools or maybe an easier way to figure out who were the last people that were working on the server, something that gives me better insights into the actions taken by different users who need to access the server. Our server is definitely not for everybody to access, but even if it had logging installed or activated, it's quite difficult to figure out who did what.

I have been using Windows Server for a couple of years.

It is a stable solution.

Windows Server is definitely scalable.

We have 200 users using it in the network.

I was not part of the initial setup, I'm not part of the technical team. But I know from the people who did install it that it was quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give Windows Server a nine.

I would recommend Windows Server for users who want to start using it.

Global Head ICT (CITP & MIE) at The Aga Khan Academies
Good performance, easy to use, stable, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for all of our on-premise application servers. The latest version is Windows Server 2019, but we are using Windows Server 2016. We haven't felt the need to upgrade it.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and its performance is good.

What needs improvement?

When it comes to virtualization, VMware is a bit more advanced in terms of security. Hyper-V does provide facilities, but it probably has to do a bit more work in terms of encryption. People will normally go for VMware because of the features that it has as a server, particularly the virtualization feature.

I have been using this solution since 2012.

It is stable. …

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is easy to use, and its performance is good.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution since 2012.

It is stable.

It is scalable. In terms of its usage, the license that we currently have is good enough for us. We will increase its usage, but we don't need to purchase anything in the foreseeable future. We have enough.

We are also doing a PoC for moving the server that we have at each location to the cloud. After that is done, we will look at the cost and think about migrating to the cloud.

Its initial setup is very straightforward. The duration depends on how big the installation is in terms of the database and the domain you want to use. It can vary from about an hour to a couple of hours with updates, etc. It could be anywhere from 60 minutes to 3 hours.

All of our people are adept at handling its installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Mazen Kassem
Senior Digital Services Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly with good scalability and offers multiple deployment methods
  • "The solution is very user-friendly."
  • "The solution needs more integration capabilities."

What is our primary use case?

The product is primarily used for applications, data storage, and communications. We also use it for the directory.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very user-friendly.

The scalability is very good.

You can deploy the solution either on the cloud or on-premises.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs more integration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for 15 years at this point. It's been well over a decade. I've used it for a long time.

The scalability of the solution is good. It's not a problem to expand it.

Likely the entire company is using the solution, however, I cannot speak to exact numbers that are on the solution right now.

I've never been in touch with technical support in the past. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We did not previously use a different operating system.

I wasn't a part of the installation process. I can't speak to how straightforward or complex it was.

We have 12 to 15 team members that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. There are a manager, an admin, and engineers.

I don't handle the licensing costs. I don't have any visibility as to how much the company pays for licenses.

What other advice do I have?

We use multiple deployment models, including on-premises and cloud.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using.

I'd recommend using the solution to other companies.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Muhammad_Irfan
Sr. Network Administrator at ACMC
Good integration and easy to use
  • "One of the most valuable features of Windows Server is that it is easy to use. Also, with Windows, everything is integrated."
  • "Windows Server could be improved with cheaper licensing costs."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of Windows Server is running our business applications, such as ERP.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of Windows Server is that it is easy to use. Also, with Windows, everything is integrated.

What needs improvement?

Windows Server could be improved with cheaper licensing costs.

We have been using Windows Server for more than 10 years.

Windows Server is stable, and we have had no problems.

The scalability of this solution seems good.

We have more than 150 people in our organization using this solution. We don't currently have plans to increase our usage.

Before implementing Windows Server, we used Oracle Linux. We switched to Windows Server because, when we upgraded, the integration was good with the FieldServer.

For installation, 2016 took even less time than 2012. '16 takes maybe fifteen to twenty minutes, maximum. I can handle the installation myself.

For deployment and maintenance, we have a team of one or two people.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

To use Windows Server, we pay for licensing yearly. The licensing cost should be cheaper—it is expensive and should not cost that much.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server a ten out of ten. I would recommend Windows Server to others, but it depends on their requirements. We can meet our requirements with Windows because we have a Microsoft ERP. It has good performance with the Windows Server, which is why we use this solution.

Control Systems Supervisor with 201-500 employees
Stable, reliable, and is able to run many applications
  • "The only thing that is extremely valuable about the solution is that most applications run on it. That's where it brings the value in as we have the server to run our applications."
  • "There's always room for improvement. However, I'm not in the main IT department, and therefore, I'm not as close to the product as others on my team."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as our general operating system.

What is most valuable?

The only thing that is extremely valuable about the solution is that most applications run on it. That's where it brings the value in as we have the server to run our applications.

The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

I can't think of any improvements off the top of my head.

The company has used the solution for quite a while. They were using it well before I arrived at the organization.

The solution seems to be quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

To my knowledge, we have not dealt directly with Microsoft support. We haven't really had a need.

For the most part, we didn't do the initial setup on it. We either buy the product with Microsoft already installed or the system integrator will install it.

We have systems administrators that can maintain the solution. We have a few people on our team that can handle any tasks.

Occasionally, we have a systems integrator that assists in the installation or it comes pre-installed.

I don't deal with pricing or licensing. I can't speak to how much the licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall. We've been overall very pleased with the product.

Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to install, and scales well
  • "The installation was straightforward and easy."
  • "The performance is good but we have had some issues when we use virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server as an operating platform. It's an Operating system.

We host our products on the Windows Server.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

While it is easy to use, it could be easier.

The performance is good but we have had some issues when we use virtual machines. Loading and processing a lot of data leads to memory-related issues. As such, while the performance is good, it could still be improved.

We are using version 2012 and it could be that other versions have improved this feature.

We are currently using Windows Server 2012. We have been using this solution for approximately 12 years.

I have no issues with the stability of the Windows Server.

It's scalable. I am satisfied with the scalability of this solution.

We don't have plans to increase our usage.

We don't deal with Microsoft support directly. Our service team is in contact with them if there is an issue.

Previously, I did not use another solution.

The installation was straightforward and easy.

We have a team of server maintenance and network engineers to maintain this solution.

We had help from the Server team to implement this solution.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I  would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.