We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Software Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Easy to deploy, simple to set up and stable
  • "The scalability is okay."
  • "The solution should be less expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for some database applications.

What is most valuable?

The solution is mostly stable.

The scalability is okay. We just need to get the correct edition of the Server.

The initial setup is easy and the deployment is fast.

What needs improvement?

There are some limitations around scalability.

The solution should be less expensive. Linux options are far less costly.

I've been using the solution for five years, at least, in this company.

The product, for the most part, is stable. I would say the hardware will cause some issues before the operating system.

In terms of hardware, it is scalable, if we can increase the hardware resources. We are not using the data center version of the OS. We're just using the standard version.

We have around 30 people using the solution.

I haven't dealt with technical support. So far we haven't escalated anything as our installation is very simple.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It is basically like any other Windows operating system. It's fairly straightforward.

The implementation only takes about 30 minutes.

We have a team of three in the IT department that can handle deployment and maintenance.

We did not need any integrator or consultant. it's very easy for a company to handle by itself.

The pricing could be more competitive.

We only pay a one-time fee and do not have to continuously pay monthly or yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

We are still using 2012, and we're planning to upgrade to 2019.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

Owner and business consultant at networks srl
A stable solution for file sharing and centralized authentication
  • "Compared to other solutions, the ease of administration is great."
  • "If the service could be better integrated with the Azure Cloud, I think it would be a plus for Windows."

What is our primary use case?

We used Windows Server for file sharing and centralized authentication.

We stopped using Microsoft Server in 2012 due to hardware failure and licensing costs. For these reasons, we decided to move to open-source solutions.

What is most valuable?

Compared to other solutions, the ease of administration is great.

What needs improvement?

In regard to the next release, I would like to see a more scalable solution. I would also like to see any future developments on the market because there was a time when most companies would run away from centralized authentication systems, like Active Directory — they moved to cloud solutions. If the service could be better integrated with the Azure Cloud, I think it would be a plus for Windows.

I used Windows Server from 2003 until 2012.

Windows Server is absolutely stable.

I can't comment on the scalability as we were only using two to three servers and we never attempted to scale out any further.

The technical support is okay. As I have a special relationship with them, It's quite easy for me to get a hold of them.

I started with FreeBSD, then moved to Solaris. Right now I am only using and recommending Linux.

The installation was easy compared to other operating systems, but the documentation part took longer than usual because I typically specialize in Linux-based operations.

I usually handle the implementation myself. If I encounter a specific issue then I may have to apply for a consultant.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. If your environment requires it, I would absolutely recommend Windows Server.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
High performance, scalable, and straightforward installation
  • "If everything is configured correctly this solution provides high performance. Building a Failover Cluster is comparatively much easier in Windows Server than any of the Linux-based solutions."
  • "They should release a command-line version of the solution."

What is our primary use case?

Windows Server can be used for various mission-critical applications, such as SAP, web servers, SQL databases, and hosting. Various security applications, for example, Symantec or McAfee, all need Windows Servers as the back end to operate. Additionally, this solution can be used to build up a Failover Cluster.

What is most valuable?

If everything is configured correctly this solution provides high performance. Building a Failover Cluster is comparatively much easier in Windows Server than any of the Linux-based solutions.

What needs improvement?

They should release a command-line version of the solution.

I have been using the solution for approximately 15 years.

Windows Server is stable. However, there is some maintenance required for smooth operations.

The solution can easily scale.

The installation is straightforward and takes approximately one hour.

If the server environment is large I would advise using an integrator. We have a team that does the maintenance of the solution which is important because it is used for mission-critical applications.

The solution could improve by changing the licensing model. In Windows Server 2008 they provided two versions, one regular and the other was free with no graphics. In Windows 2012 they stopped providing the free version. They should go back to the previous model and let customers have the choice whether they want to opt for a free version or have the Microsoft supported version or the OEM version.

If you choose Windows Server on-premises, you will receive a perpetual license and there is also a subscription license option. For the cloud version, there are several options available, such as a monthly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Windows Server a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Maan Othman
Senior System Engineer at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
A server operating system with a valuable user interface
  • "I like the views in the user interface."
  • "It would help if Microsoft made it lighter to run on the servers and made troubleshooting much easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows Server to host applications, host files, emails, Windows server emails, and data exchange. But for the most part, we use it to host applications, directory services, and DNS services.

What is most valuable?

I like the views in the user interface.

What needs improvement?

It would help if Microsoft made it lighter to run on the servers and made troubleshooting much easier. I have to deal with unexpected errors and faults that happen in Windows. It also crashes.

When it's a big environment, especially in an industrialized environment, we see unexpected errors. They create instability, or unexpected errors happen in the infrastructure. You need to restart the server or restart the services. You don't know the root cause of these errors.

I've been working with Windows Server for about 20 years.

Sometimes we have to deal with unexpected errors that create instability.

Windows Server is mostly scalable. However, you run into problems if it's going to be very big. If something happens, troubleshooting it will be very difficult.

Microsoft technical support is good.

The initial setup is mostly straightforward.

The Windows Server standard edition is affordable. But the cost of the data center edition is high, especially compared to some competitors. Some competitors are offering their operating systems for free.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential customers of Windows Server that they need to study it. They need to understand their business case very well. If features are available in Windows Server, they can safely go for it, but they need to study the design very well.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Windows Server an eight.

Lead Solutions Architect - International Projects at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable, easy to install and best used for Microsoft applications
  • "The solution is scalable."
  • "The solution is less stable than Linux."

What is our primary use case?

We have an asset management system from a vendor that requires Windows Server. That's where the old content of customers is being stored.

What is most valuable?

The solution is perfect for Microsoft applications.

The stability is okay.

The solution is scalable.

The installation process is easy.

What needs improvement?

I don't like it. However, I'm forced to use it, due to the applications, or the vendor supply, that need to run on it. Many of the applications only support Windows Server.

The solution is less stable than Linux.

We've used the solution for a while. We use it constantly.

The solution is pretty stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable. That said, Linux is even more reliable.

The solution can scale. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so easily.

We also use Linux. We're 50% Linux, 50% Windows.

The installation process is very straightforward. It's very easy. It's not too complex. A company shouldn't have any problems handling the process.

What other advice do I have?

We use various versions of the solution, including 2008, 2012, 2016, and 2019.

We're a service provider. I have colleagues who are MSP-certified. They are the consultants to our customers.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. it's okay. However, it's not my first choice. I find Linux, for example, more stable.

I would only recommend the solution to a user if they really needed to use it for specific applications. I would not advise it if you needed to install it. I'd only advise it if your application requires Windows. If that's the case, then, of course, you should use it.

Emmanuel FOMUDE
Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
It offers a lot of services, but there are limitations on the number of simultaneous users on the basic license
  • "The biggest advantage of Windows Server is the services. It offers the ability to configure services, so your application can run on a Windows Server."
  • "But one issue I have with Windows Server is the limit on the number of concurrent sessions. You cannot have more than three simultaneous users unless you activate a license. You have to install it so that more people can access the applications simultaneously."

What is our primary use case?

Window Server is for the front-end applications. It is on the client-facing side.

What is most valuable?

The biggest advantage of Windows Server is the services. It offers the ability to configure services, so your application can run on a Windows Server.

We've been using Windows Server for a couple of years. Since the company was founded, we've been using Windows Server and Linux. We're still using Red Hat. When I joined the company, I migrated all the databases over to Linux. Everything on the application side is on Windows Server.

Windows Server is stable as far as I know.

I can't really say that it's scalable. At the application level, we only have about 20 users.

I'm not the one in charge of the platform. The person in charge takes care of things when there is a critical error and there are new updates or patches from the Microsoft site. They're the one who contacts the technical support team if needed.

Installing Windows Server is straightforward. We have a technical team to manage the solution, but I can handle the deployment by itself.

I think it's a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server six out of 10. I would recommend Windows Server if you are working with .NET applications. But one issue I have with Windows Server is the limit on the number of concurrent sessions. You cannot have more than three simultaneous users unless you activate a license. You have to install it so that more people can access the applications simultaneously.

ICT and Cyber Security Adviser at a security firm with self employed
Easy to set up and works for any size organization, but needs to be more secure
  • "We can scale the solution if we need to."
  • "The performance from time to time can be a bit suspect."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for many things. It's an operating system. We use to run many different application servers like SAP exchanges, and applications in our environment.

What is most valuable?

Overall, we've been happy with the solution.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

We can scale the solution if we need to.

The stability is decent.

Technical support has been okay.

What needs improvement?

We're concerned about Windows vulnerabilities and how to manage those vulnerabilities ourselves. These are the main things that are tricky in Windows, the environment.

The performance from time to time can be a bit suspect.

I've used the solution for quite a long time. It's been something like 20 years or so that I have been using this product.

To a certain extent, I would say the stability is fine. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The product is scalable. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so. It's not a problem.

The size of the company doesn't matter. It works for any size of organization from small to large.

Technical support was okay. We haven't really had any problems with them.

You do have to pay for licensing of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user of Microsoft. We do not have any special business relationship with them.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. We're mostly happy with its capabilities.

I would advise potential users to secure it well and keep it up to date.

OmidKoushki
Solution Architect at KIAN company
Can be used to implement and configure Active Directory environments for organizations
  • "Integration with other Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center Configuration Manager has the great ability to manage all of the different features on system support, like upgrading, securing, and troubleshooting different Windows systems for clients."
  • "Microsoft needs to expand to integrate the Windows Server with Azure and Linux distribution to provide a simple container environment for running dockerized applications."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to implement and configure Active Directory environments for organizations. Projects can be related to running WS systems as well as implementing and performing System Center Configuration Manager, assisting the OM, Operation Manager, and monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The biggest and the most important services used in most of the organizations in the world is the Active Directory. The policy management feature is a great option for managing different policies in the domain environment.

Also, integration with other Microsoft solutions like Exchange and System Center Configuration Manager has the great ability to manage all of the different features on system support, like upgrading, securing, and troubleshooting different Windows systems for clients.

What needs improvement?

I think integration with Linux operating systems would be a great idea, as well as focusing on the simplicity of running containers in the Linux environments. I think this would be a requirement for the next generation of applications running in .NET and Microsoft programming languages.

Microsoft should expand to integrate the Windows Server with Azure and Linux distribution to provide a simple container environment for running dockerized applications.

I've been using it for around 10 years.

It is scalable. We currently have around 30 engineers using the Windows Server, but we hope to increase this number.

The initial setup is very simple.

I implemented it myself.

One of the problems with Microsoft is the price of licensing, and volume licensing for educational systems is a great option to bequeath licensing for small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate it at nine.

For authentication and identity management, without a doubt, I would suggest using the Active Directory with Microsoft Windows Servers.