We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to install, and scales well
  • "The installation was straightforward and easy."
  • "The performance is good but we have had some issues when we use virtual machines."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Windows Server as an operating platform. It's an Operating system.

We host our products on the Windows Server.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

While it is easy to use, it could be easier.

The performance is good but we have had some issues when we use virtual machines. Loading and processing a lot of data leads to memory-related issues. As such, while the performance is good, it could still be improved.

We are using version 2012 and it could be that other versions have improved this feature.

We are currently using Windows Server 2012. We have been using this solution for approximately 12 years.

I have no issues with the stability of the Windows Server.

It's scalable. I am satisfied with the scalability of this solution.

We don't have plans to increase our usage.

We don't deal with Microsoft support directly. Our service team is in contact with them if there is an issue.

Previously, I did not use another solution.

The installation was straightforward and easy.

We have a team of server maintenance and network engineers to maintain this solution.

We had help from the Server team to implement this solution.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I  would rate Windows Server an eight out of ten.

Deputy IT Manager at ICAPP (Americana Group)
Good stability and feature-rich, but the integration with other operating systems should be improved
  • "We have had no problems with Windows Server and we plan to continue using it in the future."
  • "I would like to see better integration with other operating systems."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability. We have had no problems with Windows Server and we plan to continue using it in the future.

This product has very good features.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with other operating systems. For example, when I migrate from services from Linux or Unix to Windows Server, it's hard to do. I expect it to be easier.

We began using Windows Server between 10 and 12 years ago.

This is a scalable product. We have more than 150 people in 20 different groups who use it. In my personal group, we have four people.

We have not faced any problems that we couldn't solve, so we have not needed to contact technical support.

I have worked with other operating systems such as Linux and Unix, and I find that they are more complicated.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes between two and four hours to deploy, depending on the type of service.

We installed it ourselves and we have an IT staff of about six people that use it regularly.

We have a corporate deal with Microsoft and pay licensing fees annually. It is an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product that is easy to use, it has very good features, and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Windows Server. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,143 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Associate Manager at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
Reliable, easy to use, and simple installation

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a server OS. Due to security reasons, we have created some virtual machines instead of on-premise deployments and we are writing SQL queries.

What is most valuable?

The main feature of the solution is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

There should be the ability to add other databases to be installed and configured instead of going to other virtual machines. They should be better integrated so they are all in one place.

I have been using this solution since I started my career, which is a long time ago.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The main feature of the solution is the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The solution is stable. We created virtual machines with huge configurations and based on our volume of data or jobs it is running it has been performing very well.

It is not scalable because we are dealing with virtual machines. You just log in to the system and you can run the queries. It is not like a database, where you can integrate and process. You can only use it and let the query control the system.

We have five people using this solution in my organization.

If we have an issue we write a ticket to Microsoft and they are able to help us with a solution.

The installation is straightforward, it takes approximately 30 minutes.

There is an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server a nine out of ten.

IT manager at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
An easily deployable solution
  • "The deployment can be done with rapidity and much ease."
  • "While the solution is stable, it could be more so."

What is our primary use case?

I use Windows Server 2015.

We have data center and now we use the software to do the virtualization. We develop certain functions.

What needs improvement?

While the solution is stable, it could be more so. There are times when there is a need to make corrections.

It would also be nice to see more integration.

I have been using Windows Server for awhile, at least for a couple of years.

Although the solution is stable, this could stand some improvement.

Owing to the distance which is sometimes involved, the technical support can stand improvement.

Windows Server is very easy to install. There is no issue in this regard. It can be done on one's disc, if he has one.

The deployment can be done with rapidity and much ease.

While I have five people in my organization, the deployment can be handled by a single engineer in my company.

There are no fees involved in the solution.

The government directly pays the licensing fees for all public organizations, of which we are included. The organization's name is IDU, which does license development for the country in the computer science department. They give us the SQL Server and Microsoft Office to install in our public hospital.

What other advice do I have?

I work in MS Office, Oracle and SQL Server. Our company primarily uses MS Office.

We have, perhaps, 200 users.

I would recommend the solution to others, as I have done so in the past.

I rate Windows Server a ten out of ten.

PPM Services Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Pretty stable and not too hard to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We deploy our solution in Windows Server when our customers are working in Windows. So it depends on the customer's requirements.

What needs improvement?

Windows Server could always be more secure.

I've been working with Windows Server off and on for many years. I'm not an end-user, but my company deploys our product from time to time on Windows Server when our customers are using that environment.

In my experience, Windows Server is pretty stable. Then again, I don't have much experience administrating that environment, so I can't really say. But, so far we haven't had any significant issues with Windows Server.

How are customer service and

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

Windows Server could always be more secure.

I think Microsoft support is probably pretty standard, but we haven't had any issues with the operating system that would require a ticket. Most of the time we use basic stuff for the operating system, so we're not facing any significant issues on that side.

Setting up Windows Server is pretty straightforward. It takes anywhere from a few hours to a day. One person can do it if it's not a complex environment. At our organization, it would only take a couple of technical experts. We have 100 plus specialists, consultants, and some field teams as well.

We have a partnership, so we get all of the licensing through that.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Windows Server eight out of 10, but that's not an expert opinion. I don't specialize in that operating system.

IT manager at a agriculture with 10,001+ employees
A stable and easily installable deduplication solution

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows for its Single-Instance Storage, SIS, capabilities. The solution has deduplication default features. In respect of Windows security, the solution offers a GUI, graphical user interface, that is very convenient for the user. Linux, for its part, does not offer a graphical user interface.

What needs improvement?

The solution's licensing price is on the expensive side. This is an issue which Microsoft should address right away.

I have much experience with Windows Server, having used it my entire career, in excess of 15 years.

The solution is stable.

We do not have plans to…

The solution is stable.

We do not have plans to increase usage for at least the coming two years.

We did not use a different solution for our desktop prior to Windows Server, although for our server we used Linux.

The installation is not difficult. I found it to be very straightforward.

It lasted 35 minutes.

The installation can be done on one's own. Only one person is needed for the deployment. However, as we have a large scale data center, we have a team, consisting of five members, who are responsible for maintaining the entire infrastructure.

The price of the solution's license is expensive and this an issue which demands Window's immediate attention.

Our licensing fee is perpetual.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server as a nine out of ten.

Senior System Administrator at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is easy to install, but integration and automation need improvement
  • "Windows Server is very useful and easy to install."
  • "It is not fast and is very slow. Versions before 2002 are not stable."

What is most valuable?

Windows Server is very useful and easy to install.

It has been stable after 2002, so versions 2016 and 2019 are stable.

What needs improvement?

It is not fast and is very slow. Versions before 2002 are not stable.

It is not easy to use, and it could be cheaper as well.

Windows Server could use low resources and have automation abilities.

Automation and implementation could be changed to work better with other systems. It needs be easy to integrate with other cloud and open source systems. Generally, people want to use open source systems because Windows Servers don't integrate easily.

I have been using Windows Server since 2003.

It is stable, particularly after 2002.

If you use Microsoft application servers and if you use Microsoft products, you can generally get good technical support.

I used Linux operating systems.

It is easy to install and takes about half an hour.

I installed it myself.

Windows Systems use more resources than Linux systems and can be very costly. If you use a Linux system, two CPUs are enough, but if you use a Windows system, you need eight CPUs. You should use a minimum of eight CPUs, and CPU resources are very expensive.

We have enterprise agreements regarding licensing.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Windows Server at seven on a scale from one to ten.

Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 10,001+ employees
A robust, scalable, and low-maintenance solution
  • "The most valuable feature of Windows Server is its scalability and robustness."
  • "Windows could add more tools to monitor the health of the server."

What is our primary use case?

We use Windows Server for process control in process control systems. Right now, the operations team is the only one using the solution. They conduct day collection for our process control system.

How has it helped my organization?

Windows Server provides a robust operating system that keeps our processes running 24 hours a day without any downtime.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Windows Server is its scalability and robustness.

What needs improvement?

Windows could add more tools to monitor the health of the server.

I've been using Windows Server for 15 years.

Windows Server is highly robust. We only have to do maintenance on the system once yearly.

Windows Server is very scalable, but we don't have any plans to increase our usage in the near term.

So far, we've only had good experiences with Windows support.

We were previously running Unix, but the manufacturer of our control system forced us to switch to Windows Server. We didn't have a choice.

We set up the servers ourselves. The time needed to deploy varies from server to server.

Windows could always lower the cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Windows Server about a nine out of 10. It's very robust, but there is always room for improvement in monitoring and other features.