Loay Mohamed - PeerSpot reviewer
System Service Representative at IBM
Good support, simple installation, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSAN as a VDI solution.

What is most valuable?

The performance of VMware vSAN is very good.

I have been using VMware vSAN for approximately two years.

VMware vSAN is a stable solution.

VMware vSAN
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The support from VMware vSAN was good. When I had to contact the support for my clients everything was as expected.

The initial setup is straightforward. It took us approximately one month to implement for one of our customers but there were some delays on our customer's side. We could have done it in a shorter timeframe.

My customers have found VMware vSAN to be a little expensive.

What other advice do I have?

VMware vSAN is the most trending hypervisor that most of the customers are working with.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate VMware vSAN a ten out of ten.

Manager at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
Lets you efficiently use hardware resources, but the UI needs work

What is our primary use case?

The vSAN is similar to other VMware products that are quite popular in Thailand. Everyone uses virtualization to more efficiently utilize hardware resources. That's the main point of vSAN and VMware.

What needs improvement?

The UI falls short compared to other solutions. It needs some development to make it more user-friendly.

I've been using vSAN for six years.

vSAN isn't easy to install, because it's separate from VMware. You have to install vSAN and monitoring separately. Configuration is not straightforward. You have to define the policy first and then allocate through the virtual machine.

We used the VMware professional team to install, and it took them around two days. After it was deployed, we used one engineer to maintain the system.

The license for vSAN is a yearly subscription.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vSAN seven out 10.

VMware vSAN
November 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Omar-ElsharQawy - PeerSpot reviewer
Business Development Manager at iVolve Technologies
A highly-scalable and innovative storage virtualization software

What is our primary use case?

vSAN is fully integrated with VMware vSphere, as a distributed layer of software within the ESXi hypervisor.

One of the use cases is that, vSAN can gather the local or direct-attached data storage devices, to create a single storage pool shared across all hosts in a vSAN cluster.

Another use case is that vSAN designed for the software-defined data centers (SDDC), thus you can build and architect your own private, public or hybrid cloud environment based on the vSAN software.

How has it helped my organization?

the come feedback always I here from our client is that vSAN Simplified Operations and ease of administration.

What is most valuable?

Manage both of virtual machines (VM), containers and cloud ready solution

What needs improvement?

Traditional infrastructure, Private cloud and the hybrid cloud

I am always recommend the vSAN technology when it comes to power a Hyperconverged infrastructure as well the traditional and cloud native applications.

Hybrid Cloud
System Analyst at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Decent storage virtualization that is beginning to integrate modern technologies but needs to be cheaper
  • "VMware has been around for a long time are are doing a decent job at catching up with the latest technologies i.e. bringing in kubernetes and containerization. Overall, this is a great tool for virtualization."
  • "I would like for the next release to be a bit cheaper."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I would like for the next release to be a bit cheaper.

I have been using VMware vSAN for 10+ years.

VMware is not a cost effective solution, especially if you have a Microsoft shop. In this case, you would have to purchase the VMware license when there are already Hyper-V solutions that could do it for much cheaper.

What other advice do I have?

If you are already using VMware, then it is great to fun your applications and carries your infrastructure to the cloud. But, I would not recommend this solution to new customers. I give this solution a seven out of ten.

IT Manager at Triara
Storage software that is dynamic and compatible with many other solutions including VCF and VMware Cloud Foundation
  • "The feature we have found most valuable is the compatibility of VMware products with VCF and VMware Cloud Foundation."
  • "We often run out of space but we have enough capacity for memory and CPU. It's difficult to find the balance between storage and memory CPU."

What is most valuable?

The feature we have found most valuable is the compatibility of VMware products with VCF and VMware Cloud Foundation.

What needs improvement?

We often run out of space but we have enough capacity for memory and CPU. It's difficult to find the balance between storage and memory CPU.

Overall, this is a simple solution but could be improved due to the issue with vSAN ReadyNodes. There are many compatibility requirements for storage using this solution that are difficult to meet.

We have used this solution for two years.

The enterprise customer service and support are very good and feedback is fast.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

The initial setup was straightforward but we have experienced some setbacks with deployments.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Omar_Samir - PeerSpot reviewer
Public Sector Sales Manager and DBA at Diverse
Very easy to implement in any existing environment

What is our primary use case?

The use case is mainly for greenfields deployment. I'm a senior solutions architect and we are system integrators. Our company is a partner with VMware.

What is most valuable?

Very easy to implement in any existing environment.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more storage terabytes available after excluding the management.

I've been using this solution for two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good.

The initial setup is straightforward and it's very easy to implement in any X86 server so anyone can use it in their existing environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution nine out of 10.

Shams K - PeerSpot reviewer
Vmware Administrator at Intertech
Scalable and secure with easy setup

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is to combine old storage into logical volumes. You can create a VMS partition and deploy it among the host, which provides the best performance.

I've been using vSAN for almost three years.

The scalability is good - storage is expandable with no extra cost.

Setup is simple because the product is automatically installed once the license is activated.

The pricing is something of a concern.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that if you need more storage-level performance, scalability, or security, you can definitely consider using this solution. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022