Business Development Manager - Security at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
You don't have to worry about a patch not being there in the software
  • "Deep Security provides us with a lot of reassurance about security threats. You don't have to worry about a patch not being there in the software. You're confident that all the patches and vulnerabilities are taken care of."
  • "I think more work could be done on Deep Security's ability to handle dynamic threat scenarios."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Deep Security specifically for virtual patching of the virtual disks. The average customer for this is typically a government agency, and they're employing it on critical servers and services. It is usually on a database server, especially a purpose-built aggregation server. Unlike a web server or something like that, these servers aren't generally publicly connected. We have about 20 Deep Security customers, including most of the bigger banks.

How has it helped my organization?

Deep Security provides us with a lot of reassurance about security threats. You don't have to worry about a patch not being there in the software. You're confident that all the patches and vulnerabilities are taken care of.

What needs improvement?

I think more work could be done on Deep Security's ability to handle dynamic threat scenarios.

We have been using Trend Micro Deep Security for the last three years.

Trend Micro Deep Security
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Trend Micro Deep Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Deep Security is a highly stable product.

Deep Security is scalable.

Setting up Deep Security isn't that complicated. The entire process takes 90 days, including a proof of concept to demo the product in the customer's environment and show them what it can do. Typically, it takes about 90 days to close a deal. We have 15 members on our team.

We have different people to handle the implementation. Our technical team gets involved at that point then we finalize the scope and document whatever the customer wants for this solution.

Deep Security isn't expensive for what it does. Our customers understand what the product is doing, so they are always willing to pay for that. In India, the price isn't an issue with this product actually because the competing Symantec product is much more expensive than Trend Micro. The pricing isn't that cheap, but every customer will ask for a discount regardless of the price you quote.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Trend Micro Deep Security nine out of 10. I recommend Deep Security to all our customers for server security. We sell quite a few security solutions, and we offer two products for server security: Trend Micro and Symantec. Since Symantec isn't really focusing on this area, we are primarily suggesting Trend Micro Deep Security.

Venugopal Potumudi - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Consultant at Tata Consultancy
Easy to implement, good integrations, and helpful technical support services
  • "It's scalable."
  • "We'd like to see extended capacity in the on-premises versions."

What is our primary use case?

It is mainly an antivirus product for both desktops as well as servers. It has additional modules which can be enabled in fast manner. It uses the same agent and additional modules like FIM, Filing Integrity Management and ELP services.

What is most valuable?

The product is easy to implement and easy to integrate with additional advanced services.

It's scalable.

It has been mostly quite stable.

Technical support in Europe is good.

What needs improvement?

They are working to improve the solution. For example, nowadays, they're offering cloud based EDR which addresses a lot of this scalability challenges like storage requirements, et cetera. We'd like to see extended capacity in the on-premises versions.

They recently put out some more additions which I have yet to explore. They've already addressed a lot of previous concerns.

We'd like the cloud model to have better pricing.

I've used the solution for more than four years.

It is very stable. That said, there are certain agent problems. Once in a while we see certain agents get corrupted, so we clean up the agent and we need to install the agents again. However, that is rare.

It is scalable within some limitations of compromise. For example, since its an on-premise, there will be servers limitations. If you need to scale to large areas, then you need additional hosting solutions to extend the capacity. Otherwise, it's a good tool for scalability.

Within Europe the technical support services are very good. I have not worked in other regions, however, within Europe the support was fantastic. They respond very fast.

We deployed the solution to about 3,000 servers. We had is implemented in lesss than three months.

The pricing on the cloud model could be better. It's a bit high.

What other advice do I have?

It is very stable product and it's easy to deploy and easy to maintain. It is recommended as a product.

I'd rate the solution ten out of ten.

Trend Micro Deep Security
November 2022
655,774 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BobenGeorge - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr.Customer Engineer- Projects at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Easy to deploy with the traceback feature that lets you trace back an attack
  • "The traceback feature in XDR is amazing. You can trace back an attack. You can playback where an attack actually occurred and see how the attacker moved. We can easily show this to management, and it makes it easy to make them understand and convince them, which is the best thing."
  • "There should be more tools to trace back. Some sort of module needs to be included to attach all the things. It should be more stable, and the traceback feature should be improved. There were cases when we got virtual analyzer or CMC errors. We got false-positive malware notifications, but we couldn't trace them. I raised a case with Trend Micro two or three times, but they couldn't resolve it. Their support should be improved in terms of technical abilities to troubleshoot complex issues. They should be more knowledgeable."

What is our primary use case?

I used it in my previous company, and it was basically used for security levels. My company was into the implementation of projects, and we used to implement security solutions. Along with Trend Micro, we used to implement these devices. We had several customers of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The traceback feature in XDR is amazing. You can trace back an attack. You can playback where an attack actually occurred and see how the attacker moved. We can easily show this to management, and it makes it easy to make them understand and convince them, which is the best thing.

What needs improvement?

There should be more tools to trace back. Some sort of module needs to be included to attach all the things.

It should be more stable, and the traceback feature should be improved. There were cases when we got virtual analyzer or CMC errors. We got false-positive malware notifications, but we couldn't trace them. I raised a case with Trend Micro two or three times, but they couldn't resolve it. Their support should be improved in terms of technical abilities to troubleshoot complex issues. They should be more knowledgeable.

I have been using this solution for the past three years.

It is stable in a way, but you get false-positive malware notifications.

Their support can be improved. For our case related to the virtual analyzer or CMC error, they couldn't trace back the issue. We were frequently getting notifications on that server, which were false-positive. They couldn't say why this is happening, and what is making this client trigger these errors. They couldn't advise on that. They should be more knowledgeable.

Its initial setup is straightforward. Deployment duration depends on the environment. Sometimes, we needed to deploy two or three devices, and we had to consult Trend Micro. Their best practices are also there.

We had a technical team of four engineers, including me.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution, but it has scope for improvement.

I would rate Trend Micro Deep Security an eight out of ten.

SYEDALI13 - PeerSpot reviewer
Management Trainee Supply Chain Excellence at fatima group
Simple to use, straightforward to set up, and reliable so far
  • "We've found stability to be great so far."
  • "The solution could use more integration."

What is our primary use case?

Basically, we are using the solution for protecting our server.

What is most valuable?

The product is very simple to use. It is more simple than Kaspersky, for example

The solution is easy to set up.

We've found stability to be great so far.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure about what could be improved. I don't look at the solution from this angle. Some other person from our team is managing that at the moment.

The solution could use more integration. I've heard that if we are going to deploy the XDR of some other solution, it'll not be integrated. It would be helpful if everything could come together.

We've used the solution for the last three months. We've only recently deployed it.

The stability has been good. It's reliable. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

It is a scalable solution. We've had no issues with scaling.

We have deployed this for our server infrastructure only. We have around 7,200 machines which we are protecting through Trend Micro.

At this time, we do not have plans to increase usage.

We have some local companies here that provide support for Trend Micro. So far the experience is good with this.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We also have familiarity with Kaspersky.

The initial setup process is very simple.

The deployment took one to two days. Within one day it was mostly deployed.

The licensing is user-based.

We are in process of evaluating the XDR solution. We might go with Vision One. I'm not sure about what has been finalized.

What other advice do I have?

I am not sure about the version we are using. Another team member is managing this.

Principal Solutions Architect at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Price is reasonable and competitive
  • "Deep Security's most valuable features are antivirus and host intrusion detection."

What is most valuable?

Deep Security's most valuable features are antivirus and host intrusion detection.

What needs improvement?

Deep Security's biggest shortcoming is its reporting.

I've been using Deep Security for about two or three years.

Deep Security is pretty solid.

Deployment took a week or two because we didn't know what we were doing. But once we got it up, it's not like I had to install it multiple times. But if I did, it wouldn't be that bad. Deep Security is pretty low maintenance. It patches itself then downloads all the new buyer signatures, the common vulnerabilities, and everything like that. So it pretty much takes care of itself. However, when we're patching everything else, it could knock one of the agents offline. So we have to deal with that aspect a little bit.

I'm not sure about the exact price, but it's reasonable and competitive. Compared to its competitors, you get a lot of bang for your buck. This was the way to go. There aren't any hidden costs. Everything was straight-up. However, it has a built-in malware detector that sends you alerts, but you need someone to monitor and respond to that. You need an incident response team, and Trend Micro Has a service for that called XDR. So if you want that monitoring service, you have to pay extra.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Trend Micro Deep Security nine out of 10. It met all our requirements, and Trend Micro provided us with a lot of help getting it set up. I would almost give it a 10, to be honest, but there is some room for improvement with the reporting. For someone implementing Deep Security, I would advise them to pay attention to their kernel numbers. But then again, if we were using Red Hat Linux, Deep Security would be so seamless. Sometimes the kernel versions get out of sync, but as long as you stick to the standards, it's seamless. Once you deviate, the mileage may vary.

Consultant at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Provides a view of what's happening and enhances security, but we should be able to have an automated response for some of the threats
  • "In addition to providing our clients a view of what's happening in their data centers, it also does virtual patching in the data center. It enhances the security in the data center big time."
  • "What this product lacks at this stage is the ability to have automated workbooks to do the response. At this stage, the response is more manual, and it is not automated. If there is a response functionality in Deep Security, similar to what we have in EDR these days, to automatically respond to some of the threats, it would be cool. So, we'd like to have an automated response. There should be a response functionality."

What is our primary use case?

It gives clients an additional view of what's happening in their data centers.

Deep Security is on-prem at this stage, but it has got cloud workload protection that has similar functionality in the cloud.

What is most valuable?

In addition to providing our clients a view of what's happening in their data centers, it also does virtual patching in the data center. It enhances the security in the data center big time.

What needs improvement?

What this product lacks at this stage is the ability to have automated workbooks to do the response. At this stage, the response is more manual, and it is not automated. If there is a response functionality in Deep Security, similar to what we have in EDR these days, to automatically respond to some of the threats, it would be cool. So, we'd like to have an automated response. There should be a response functionality.

We have been providing this solution for a few years.

It is stable.

It is scalable, but it is fairly expensive.

In terms of its usage, we're not using it internally. We have three clients at the moment. They are fairly big clients.

Their technical support is good.

It is a bit more difficult because it needs a bit of hardware, etc. Deep Security is more complex to set up than web security. Implementing Deep Security properly is usually about a week's worth of work because of the change control in the company. It is the change control that's an issue.

In terms of people required for its deployment, one engineer is usually enough.

Most of it is annual at this stage.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it for medium enterprises.

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

Manager at a non-profit with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cloud-based antivirus with additional, useful features and quality support
  • "Aside from the basic antivirus features, there are additional features such as vulnerability protection, firewall, etc. which are helpful."
  • "Some of the reporting and integrations could be more robust."

What is our primary use case?

I am a manager for a non-profit and use this solution for its antivirus capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Aside from the basic antivirus features, there are additional features such as vulnerability protection, firewall, etc. which are helpful.

Since this is a SaaS service, we do not need to worry about getting version upgrades as everything is updated on the backend by Trend Micro.

Since this is a cloud-based product, we do not need any on-premise environment for antivirus.

What needs improvement?

Some of the reporting and integrations could be more robust.

I have been using the solution for four or five years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable.

Support is very good. There is a portal where you can go to raise support tickets, and there are three phone numbers that we can use to reach support. We also have been assigned a technical account manager to who we can reach out to with anything critical.

We used McAfee in the past.

The solution was straightforward to install. There is a default version that is ready to use as soon as it is installed and anything specific that the company desires can then be set.

We have about six to eight people with access to management.

We used a combination of an integrator, a technical account manager, and our in-house team.

There is a subscription cost to use this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product and would rate it a nine out of ten.

Anand Dhouni - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistance Manager-IT at ONGC Petro additions Limited
Good protection and patching features stable, easy to scale, and easy to install
  • "We like the Smart protection and the Virtual patching."
  • "I would like to see better pricing. The pricing could be lower."

What is our primary use case?

We use Trend Micro Deep Security in our server environment.

We are also using it for virtualization security and antimalware functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

From a security point of view, it has been performing very well against our malware and vulnerabilities that are now in the market. Previously, we were getting patches from OEMs, and now we get patching from the Deep Security Protection Cloud which helps us to mitigate and minimize the attacks.

What is most valuable?

We are satisfied with this solution.

We like the Smart protection and the Virtual patching. those are the two best features we have in Trend Micro Deep Security.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better pricing. The pricing could be lower.

We have been using Trend Micro Deep Security for four years.

We have no issues with the stability of Trend Micro Deep Security.

Trend Micro Deep Security is a scalable product.

We are using both Trend Micro Deep Security and Trend Micro Apex One.

One is designed for server security, and the other is for endpoint devices. These are mostly Windows 10 and Windows 8. We use Apex One for our endpoints.

The initial setup was easy.

Trend Micro Deep Security pricing is on the high side.

We are paying approximately $50,000 each month, it's definitely expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I think this solution is practically perfect.

I would rate Trend Micro Deep Security a nine out of ten.

Download our free Trend Micro Deep Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022