We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Saurabh Deora
Safety Data Analyst at Novo Nordisk
Good visibility on a single pane of glass, and one-click reporting saves us time
  • "The drag and drop functionality provides an easy and fast development approach."
  • "We have faced some issues with NPrinting, so I feel there is some improvement needed such that it would allow the use of variables and calculative fields from Qlik."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the Pharma industry and we get a lot of patient-related data for our products. This data contains post-marketing cases and clinical cases that my organization conducts, and we use Qlik to analyze the data.

We also use Qlik in some of the reporting we do with health authorities with different affiliates. We track the information sent to affiliates, whether the reporting was done on time or not.

We use the GxP setup, so it is very controlled and split by three different environments: Dev, Val, and Production.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the amount of time it takes to get information out to the business in a few ways. It gives a detailed and high-level overview on one single page. We can generate reports with a single click, which saves a lot of time.

It has also helped by providing cleansed data to analysts so that they can create their own analysis. It also created an associate model that connects different data and combines them into one single view. We have a complex setup for our patient-related data and Qlik has fixed it.

What is most valuable?

On one click, it filters out most of the information, which gives an opportunity to drill down into the data. The drag and drop functionality provides an easy and fast development approach.

The associative searching and filtering capability is a unique feature among other BI tools, and one does not need to deeply understand the underlying data.

The powerful data handling and preparation ability to transform data is very helpful.

The associative model that connects the relevant column by looking at the same column names is a good feature.

What needs improvement?

We have faced some issues with NPrinting, so I feel there is some improvement needed such that it would allow the use of variables and calculative fields from Qlik.

The reload error could be explained a bit more in detail, and if they can also include a debug mode in the load script while writing code, that could also advance the performance and minimize the effort.

Lastly, if the Qlik Continuous Classroom could be available for free for trained users, that would be great.

We have been using Qlik Sense for approximately the past five years.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, the product is very good so far.

Microsoft Azure
      Willie Jacobs
      HOD Analytics Department at OneLogix (Pty) Ltd
      All the users getting the same data enables them to use the data and not spend hours preparing data
      • "We have been using Qlik Sense to generate reports that have taken hours to prepare before that we are now able to update in a couple of minutes and are available to users on a centralized platform where they are able to get the required reports."
      • "From the initial setup of the product we had some struggles getting connections to some of our databases to function, this indicated that some of the data extract drivers can be improved and addition of some of the older database engines need to be added in Qlik Sense."

What is our primary use case?

We have been using Qlik Sense for centralized reporting and analytics where we have one source of truth that can not be manipulated by users like spreadsheets. We want users to utilize the reports to analyze the data instead of spending hours producing reports that are never analyzed.

How has it helped my organization?

We have gained incredible value by using Qlik Sense by now enabling the users to utilize the data and the reports in an analytics platform, with all the users getting the same data and reports that will enable them to use the data and not spend hours preparing data. We now have data at our disposal ready for consumption on an hourly basis that use to take users hours to prepare for use.

Being able to see the reports, numbers, and analysis of the data on a more frequent basis have enabled the company and executives to focus on the problem areas and track this on a regular basis.

What is most valuable?

We love the automated reload of data function and being able to join data together from various different sources. The centralized management console gives you incredible power over the security of your reporting platform and data.

We are able to blend together data from our tracking data, operations data, and financial data to display a complete view of driver behavior, productivity, and financial impact.

The capability of the software has enabled us to extract tracking data through our tracking provider's APIs using the REST connector built into the software.

What needs improvement?

From the initial setup of the product, we had some struggles getting connections to some of our databases to function, this indicated that some of the data extract drivers can be improved and the addition of some of the older database engines needs to be added in Qlik Sense.

One of the features that would add amazing value to us if we could have a mix of perpetual licenses and subscription licenses. This would give us the benefit to have less frequent users rather on a subscription license and use the perpetual licenses for frequent users.

We have been using Qlik Sense since July 2018.

Learn what your peers think about Qlik Sense. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
      563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
      reviewer1246062
      User at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
      Easy to find information and to shrink large charts but needs to needs to offer basic competitive functionalities
      • "Showing a miniature version of the chart if the case chart is bigger than the screen resolution allows us to have full context at all times."
      • "They should generally focus more on the evolution of current capabilities rather than doing everything but only at 50% effectiveness."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a self-service for business users without heavy knowledge of IT products. It allows them to create their own content either on custom data or pre-prepared structures and calculations by IT.  On top of that, there is also IT-prepared end-to-end content and global reporting covering mobile reporting mainly in big pharmaceutical corporations.

We are running an on-premise version in the cloud on Amazon EC2 and Azure

We are using also additional Qlik products such as Mobile, GeoAnalytics, nPrinting, Alerting, and Qlik Data Catalyst

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense is a great tool if you want to start with simple self-service inside your company and get familiarized your business partners with company data and extend a user's data literacy.

For that, Qlik also provides various programs to help a company adopt the tool. These include the Qlik Continous Classrooms, Data Literacy program, etc.

The only disadvantage is the custom language which users need to learn from scratch even though we are finding it more user-friendly than DAX or MDX for multidimensional querying of data.

What is most valuable?

The Insight Advisor (Natural Language Processing) feature allows users to find information through a chat bot which also recommends interesting views on data. It's a very nice feature.

Showing a miniature version of the chart if the case chart is bigger than the screen resolution allows us to have full context at all times. Alternative dimensions and measures in charts help to limit the number of visualizations on-screen and make analytics easier for business users.

What needs improvement?

Providing the same basic capabilities as its competitors - such as an easy setup of colors, pixel-perfect reporting (if needed), better control of visual behavior of visualizations (currently legend and axis names are missing based on screen resolution), et cetera, is needed.

They need much better server management. Currently, even a single application can crash the whole server.

They should generally focus more on the evolution of current capabilities rather than doing everything but only at 50% effectiveness.

I've used the solution for over three years.

We did use Cognos and PowerBI and we switched because of the demand of our clients.

We did not evaluate other options.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are partners of Qlik company
      Corporate ERP Manager at BEA Europe
      Easy to use with an intuitive interface and good performance
      • "The most valuable feature is the interface for the end-user."
      • "We want the next version of this solution to be cloud-based so that each user can access it from anywhere in the world with their phone, tablet, or computer without a VPN connection."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary uses for Qlik Sense are sales statistics, order intake, invoicing during a period of 10 years, and customer statistics. Our statistics are grouped by segment, country, business unit, customer, and customer groups.

Statistics are used to compare costs considering sales price and margin.

We conduct a complete review of the sales statistics including KPI and Highlights, following all of the information available on the order, customer, and product.

We cover all requirement requests by the sales department and generate reports on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to use a simple drag-and-drop interface to create flexible, interactive data visualizations. We can explore data with smart visualizations that automatically adapt to the parameters we set. There is no need for developers, data scientists, or designers.

This has allowed us to turn our team into creators. They maximize their skills and experience by letting them focus on the things they are best at, instead of setting up data. By unifying data sources we gain a complete view of information, without gaps, and make it easier to discover hidden insights.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface for the end-user. Each end-user can create their own pages and customizations. This frees up IT resources to work on other problems.

Qlik Sense is intuitive and very easy to use.

The speed at which you get information is impressive. In one click, you have the answer to your question. That's important for the business but also for the user experience.

What needs improvement?

We want the next version of this solution to be cloud-based so that each user can access it from anywhere in the world with their phone, tablet, or computer without a VPN connection. This is very important for us because we have an initiative called 'Cloud first', and in five years, all software must be in the cloud and easy to access. Essentially, we want to stop using a physical server and avoid on-premises maintenance.

We have been using Qlik Sense for three years.

Or Medina
      Head Of Business Intelligence at Israel InterUniversity Computation Center
      Offers good performance and connects to a variety of data sources
      • "It allows you to create a new column using split on a current column, which we find very useful."
      • "The security rules should be made easier to use."

What is our primary use case?

Qlik Sense is the BI platform for my company.

At Carasso Motors, we use Qlik Sense and QlikView as back and front end tools for building data warehouses that are used across the company. We also build a variety of data GUI models that are also vastly used.

The main operation of the company is selling new and used cars, which is our focal point on building decision support models that are used by managers of all ranks.

In order to support all fields of operations within the company, we needed a platform able to connect to different kinds of data sources. Qlik Sense makes it easy for us.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense helped us with extracting insight from our data more quickly than before.

We have a need to connect with different kinds of data sources and combine data from different sources into a joint ERD. We find it easy to use the Qlik native data connectors.

As an example, we are now working on a new app that combines data sent to us from a survey that we sent using SurveyMonkey. The survey responses were gathered by email in Excel XLSX files and combined with survey data taken from Salesforce objects using the API connector.

This kind of ERD would have taken much more time to build with PBI.

What is most valuable?

The data manager on Qlik Sense allows you to clean the data before uploading it into the intuitive interface that creates an automatic script you can later edit to your needs.

It allows you to create a new column using split on a current column, which we find very useful. This feature saves us a lot of development time.

What needs improvement?

Adding a process tree so that we can see task dependencies would be an improvement.

The security rules should be made easier to use.

I have been using Qlik Sense for three years.

Thales Azevedo
      Gerente de BI at a government with 201-500 employees
      Easy to use, user friendly, and good technical support
      • "There are a lot of features available in this solution, it has been very easy to use. We have found it to be less complex and user-friendly compared to other solutions we have used."
      • "My advice to others is to make sure they have a good technical team. We have found that a lot of the consultants go in and out of the business and sometimes you are left alone without assistance."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is an analytic platform and we are in the early stages of development for our data center.

What is most valuable?

I have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The stability of this solution is very good.

The technical support is good.

We are currently using SAP and Qlik Sense.

The initial setup is simple.

The implementation is very easy, we did it ourselves.

I have evaluated other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is to make sure they have a good technical team. We have found that a lot of the consultants go in and out of the business and sometimes you are left alone without assistance. We have been using two solutions simultaneously and I would not advise doing so, focus on one solution at a time.

I rate Qlik Sense an eight out of ten.

reviewer1613658
      User at University of Kent
      Clean to view, easy to use and intuitive to develop with
      Qlik Sense has assisted my company in providing management information to users across all levels of the organization. It is extremely clean to view, easy to use, and intuitive to develop with. There are a host of online resources to provide assistance to new users. The setup is easy and painless, as is data integration and application deployment. I would recommend this platform to any business looking to pick up a new BI solution, or any that have an existing BI platform but who might be looking to change. In terms of improvements, Qlik Sense is being constantly updated and new features are being added all the time. Moving forward I would like to see more features that are currently available in QlikView, such as being able to better customize coloring within charts. I would also…

In terms of improvements, Qlik Sense is being constantly updated and new features are being added all the time. Moving forward I would like to see more features that are currently available in QlikView, such as being able to better customize coloring within charts. I would also like to see the ability to add calculated dimensions to the selections tool in the page.

Petr Rusnák
      BI Consultant at dolphin consulting
      Easy to use with a modern design, but it would benefit from better customizability

What is our primary use case?

We are working with Qlik Sense Server Edition, installed in an international company with more than 10,000 users.

How has it helped my organization?

Lots of end-users are now familiar enough with this solution to create quick dashboards based on their own data sources, like Excel files, CSV, TXT files, and databases. They also have the ability to connect to a data mart.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the user experience. It is easy to use and has a modern design.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have the ability to better customize the visuals including changing fonts, sizing, colors, axes, and titles. Additional functionality would improve this solution.

We have been using…

What needs improvement?

Additional functionality would improve this solution.

We have been using Qlik sense for two years.