We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Software Engineer at a educational organization with 501-1,000 employees
It is well-structured and provides good performance
  • "I like its performance. It is well-structured and offers a lot of practical options. Because of the visual design of the product, it is very easy to find icons and other visual elements. It took me more than two weeks to understand how it works. I had an intensive training session to understand it, which was enough. It was not hard to understand how it works."
  • "I am a researcher. For people to be able to research a solution, there should be at least a free trial. Just advertising a product or saying that this product is better doesn't work. I would strongly recommend providing a lot of free trials and trainings. This will also help Microsoft in having more users or customers. Oracle provides some free trials. You can just go for a free trial and use your database online, which is very good."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for a project thesis for my school project.

What is most valuable?

I like its performance. It is well-structured and offers a lot of practical options. Because of the visual design of the product, it is very easy to find icons and other visual elements.

It took me more than two weeks to understand how it works. I had an intensive training session to understand it, which was enough. It was not hard to understand how it works.

What needs improvement?

I am a researcher. For people to be able to research a solution, there should be at least a free trial. Just advertising a product or saying that this product is better doesn't work. I would strongly recommend providing a lot of free trials and trainings. This will also help Microsoft in having more users or customers. Oracle provides some free trials. You can just go for a free trial and use your database online, which is very good.

I have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for three months.

It was ready when I started to use it. I just had to do my project.

Its price could be better. It was a school project, and I got it for free. If I try to pay through my company, it is a little bit more expensive as compared to Oracle.

I am also using an Oracle solution. Oracle has been in the database field for a longer time, and it provides you more familiar terms that the users understand. When users start to work with an Oracle solution, they are more familiar with the terms. They just need basic training to understand it, but with Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse, they have to be a little bit more experienced. In order to understand this product better, they have to know how other Microsoft products work.

What other advice do I have?

It is a powerful asset if we can use it and learn more about it. If Microsoft can give some free training sessions for students and amateurs, it would be helpful in knowing more about this product from inside.

I would rate Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Solution Principal at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good documentation and does not incur costs when not in use, but needs support for query caching
  • "The most valuable feature is that you can suspend the computer if it is not being used, which means that you don't incur costs."
  • "This solution needs to have query caching so that if the same query is run and the results are available, it will return the data from the cache without having to re-run the query."

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting agency and the Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse is what we use for general BI reporting and visualization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that you can suspend the computer if it is not being used, which means that you don't incur costs. This is better than Amazon Redshift, where the costs continue to accumulate.

The documentation is good.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs to have query caching so that if the same query is run and the results are available, it will return the data from the cache without having to re-run the query. As it is now, you still have to use compute for each query.

We would like to have integration with the data lake so that we can avoid retrieving the data from it, just to store it in Synapse before we can use it. From an architectural perspective, avoiding this replication would be good.

I have been using this product for about one year.

Stability-wise, this is a good product.

This solution is scalable, although I don't expect that we will expand it beyond the current usage.

We have not had to reach out to support. Rather, we have relied on the documentation. It is easy to solve your own problems.

I also have experience with using Snowflake. It has the option to cache query results, which is helpful.

Amazon Redshift is another similar solution that I have experience with, although it lacks the ability to suspend the computer to save costs when it is not being used.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The Azure SQL Data Warehouse has been renamed to Synapse, although not all of the features have been implemented yet. I am looking forward to a more mature version of this product in the future.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,148 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chitra Govindasamy
BI Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward installation, beneficial dedicated SQL pooling, but performance could improve
  • "The integrated workspace in Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics where everything comes together, such as Power BI and Data Factory, is very good. Additionally, the ability to do dedicated SQL pooling is a benefit."
  • "In the future, Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics could improve the performance, there are other solutions that are better, such as Databricks."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can be used for analytics and brings together data integration.

What is most valuable?

The integrated workspace in Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics where everything comes together, such as Power BI and Data Factory, is very good. Additionally, the ability to do dedicated SQL pooling is a benefit.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can improve querying. I have recently used Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics to connect to the Delta Lake file and I have noticed some issues. It has not been able to read the latest version of the Delta Lake file and I have found this to be a disadvantage that they can improve.

In the future, Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics could improve the performance, there are other solutions that are better, such as Databricks.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for approximately six months.

On the client's side, there are approximately 100 users of this solution.

Have I reached out to Microsoft technical support in a few instances and we have raised a couple of tickets. A couple of agents have been knowledgeable, but not everyone is.

The installation of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics was easy. It was not complicated, but I have not explored the VNet Injection or the Private Endpoint though I think it would be straightforward.

We are on a monthly payment plan for the use of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics.

We have done some comparisons between Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics in many areas, such as processing queries, versus Databricks. We have found Databricks to be better in performance.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. The client that I am working for, their preferred database is Synapse.

I rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics a seven out of ten.

Manager: Data Analytics at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Cost-effective, reliable data warehousing that is user-friendly, and it is easy to scale
  • "They are very reliable and cost-effective."
  • "I am pretty sure that there are areas that need improvement but I just can think of them off the top of my head."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for data warehousing and analytics.

What is most valuable?

Pretty much all of the features are valuable. The storage, compute, all essentially differentiate what you do.

They are very reliable and cost-effective. It meets the client's requirements.

It's user-friendly, has a good dashboard, and my team is happy with everything.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a while, I would say approximately two years.

We are using the latest version. It's always updated on the cloud.

We found it to be a very stable product.

It's a scalable solution and we find it to be easy to scale.

Generally, support from Microsoft is always good.

I can't recall where we had an issue that we had to contact technical support, but the support is very good.

The initial setup was very straightforward. It took only five minutes to set up.

We completed the deployment in-house, we did it ourselves. We also implement it for our clients.

It's pretty straightforward, we do not need help with this.

Because it's a cloud solution, the cost is a different convention and the licensing costs are not the same.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution to others who are interested in using it. We recommend it to our clients.

It's exceptionally good, and our clients and other partners find it both stable and scalable.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Manager: Data Analytics at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, has a good dashboard, and meets the needs of our clients
  • "It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard."
  • "I am very sure that there are areas in need of improvement, but I can't recall what they are off the top of my head."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product data warehousing and analytics.

What is most valuable?

Pretty much all of the features are valuable, including storage and compute. All of the features are essential to what you do.

It's very reliable and cost-effective. It meets the needs of our clients.

It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for a couple of years.

It's a stable product and we're satisfied and comfortable with it. Our clients and partners have found it to be very stable and scalable, as well.

Synapse Analytics is a scalable product.

Generally, support from Microsoft is always good. I can't recall the specific instance where we had to contact them, but it was good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It only took five minutes to set up.

We deployed the solution in-house, and we also deploy it for our clients.

This is a cost-effective product.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution to others, and we recommend it to our clients.

Overall, it's exceptionally good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Co-owner, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A stable and useful solution for business intelligence
  • "The whole solution is interesting for us."
  • "They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed."

What is our primary use case?

It is for business intelligence. We are gathering all the data from legacy systems and transforming the data. We are then pushing the data back towards Power BI.

What is most valuable?

The whole solution is interesting for us.

What needs improvement?

They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It is quite stable.

We don't scale up because the current level is enough for our customers. Our customers are small and medium companies in Europe.

I don't use their support.

It is complex. There are too many products that we need to involve in its setup, such as data factory and machine learning, and they're integrated so intricately. You need to have quite good skills to work with this. You would need a partner. You cannot do it yourself. The deployment usually takes a month.

It requires a less expensive version because currently, not every customer is able to buy it. If it could have a smaller setup that doesn't require so many resources, it would be helpful, and we would be able to use it in more cases. We are a small country, and most of our customers are quite small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics a nine out of ten.

Data Platform Architect at APN Promise
Scalable and comprehensive, with easy Microsoft integration
  • "Fills the gap between big data and classic data warehouses."
  • "Comes with a pretty steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is as a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its filling of the gap between big data and classic data warehouses. As a solution, Synapse allows you to do almost everything.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be advanced analytics. The product also comes with a pretty steep learning curve, which could be improved. In the next release, I would like an improvement in internal security, which currently doesn't work at all.

I've been working with this solution for about two years.

Initially, the product had some issues with stability, but these seem to have improved with time.

Scalability is one of the main advantages of this solution.

Tech support is ok but more difficult tickets can take a long time to solve.

The setup was complicated because the data must be organized differently from the classic SQL database. There are also different techniques for query performance and managing caches, which makes the process more complicated.

Synapse is a very costly solution, and other products are available for less.

What other advice do I have?

One of the main pros of Synapse is the ability to work with the classic data warehouse and the big data. Another is the ability to use the Spark engine for preparation. Before implementing this product, consider whether it will provide the results you want. If you are already using Microsoft products, Synapse is easy to integrate. I would score this solution as eight out of ten.

President at a tech company with self employed
Good analytics, and has good technical support
  • "I have been working with Microsoft, and they have been very helpful."
  • "If I'm looking for something good in the cloud, I would want it to have better standard connectors."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for analytics.

What needs improvement?

If I'm looking for something good in the cloud, I would want it to have better standard connectors.

I have been working with Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for two years.

We are up-to-date with the latest version.

I have been working with Microsoft, and they have been very helpful.

It's the only product I've used. I'm not sure what's wrong or what could be done better.

I don't know about the price, but I'm trying to get a sense of the cost. I believe having a good comparison would help.

What other advice do I have?

This is the only product I've ever used, as such, it's extremely difficult for me to say anything about it. For example, if I needed a bike, and now I have one and am riding it. If you ask me some questions, it's difficult for me to say, "Oh, I really missed this one on my first bike," unless I've ridden a few bikes. I'm not sure why everything is the way it is. I had a need, and I'm only using it now.

I'm trying to understand what else is out there and how it compares to what is out there.

I am able to use it. If I am able to use it, I would rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics an eight out of ten.

Product Categories
Cloud Data Warehouse
Download our free Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.