IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Manager: Data Analytics at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, has a good dashboard, and meets the needs of our clients
  • "It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard."
  • "I am very sure that there are areas in need of improvement, but I can't recall what they are off the top of my head."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this product data warehousing and analytics.

What is most valuable?

Pretty much all of the features are valuable, including storage and compute. All of the features are essential to what you do. It's very reliable and cost-effective. It meets the needs of our clients. It's user-friendly and has a good dashboard.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for a couple of years.
Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a stable product and we're satisfied and comfortable with it. Our clients and partners have found it to be very stable and scalable, as well.

Synapse Analytics is a scalable product.

Generally, support from Microsoft is always good. I can't recall the specific instance where we had to contact them, but it was good.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It only took five minutes to set up.

We deployed the solution in-house, and we also deploy it for our clients.

This is a cost-effective product.

What other advice do I have?

I highly recommend this solution to others, and we recommend it to our clients. Overall, it's exceptionally good. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Co-owner, Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A stable and useful solution for business intelligence
  • "The whole solution is interesting for us."
  • "They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed."

What is our primary use case?

It is for business intelligence. We are gathering all the data from legacy systems and transforming the data. We are then pushing the data back towards Power BI.

What is most valuable?

The whole solution is interesting for us.

What needs improvement?

They should provide a less expensive version with a smaller setup for small businesses. Currently, its price is quite high for entry-level or small businesses. In terms of integration, new connectors are always welcomed.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It is quite stable.

We don't scale up because the current level is enough for our customers. Our customers are small and medium companies in Europe.

I don't use their support.

It is complex. There are too many products that we need to involve in its setup, such as data factory and machine learning, and they're integrated so intricately. You need to have quite good skills to work with this. You would need a partner. You cannot do it yourself. The deployment usually takes a month.

It requires a less expensive version because currently, not every customer is able to buy it. If it could have a smaller setup that doesn't require so many resources, it would be helpful, and we would be able to use it in more cases. We are a small country, and most of our customers are quite small businesses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics
May 2022
599,220 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Data Platform Architect at APN Promise
Scalable and comprehensive, with easy Microsoft integration
  • "Fills the gap between big data and classic data warehouses."
  • "Comes with a pretty steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is as a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its filling of the gap between big data and classic data warehouses. As a solution, Synapse allows you to do almost everything.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be advanced analytics. The product also comes with a pretty steep learning curve, which could be improved. In the next release, I would like an improvement in internal security, which currently doesn't work at all.

I've been working with this solution for about two years.

Initially, the product had some issues with stability, but these seem to have improved with time.

Scalability is one of the main advantages of this solution.

Tech support is ok but more difficult tickets can take a long time to solve.

The setup was complicated because the data must be organized differently from the classic SQL database. There are also different techniques for query performance and managing caches, which makes the process more complicated.

Synapse is a very costly solution, and other products are available for less.

What other advice do I have?

One of the main pros of Synapse is the ability to work with the classic data warehouse and the big data. Another is the ability to use the Spark engine for preparation. Before implementing this product, consider whether it will provide the results you want. If you are already using Microsoft products, Synapse is easy to integrate. I would score this solution as eight out of ten.

President at a tech company with self employed
Good analytics, and has good technical support
  • "I have been working with Microsoft, and they have been very helpful."
  • "If I'm looking for something good in the cloud, I would want it to have better standard connectors."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for analytics.

What needs improvement?

If I'm looking for something good in the cloud, I would want it to have better standard connectors.

I have been working with Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for two years.

We are up-to-date with the latest version.

I have been working with Microsoft, and they have been very helpful.

It's the only product I've used. I'm not sure what's wrong or what could be done better.

I don't know about the price, but I'm trying to get a sense of the cost. I believe having a good comparison would help.

What other advice do I have?

This is the only product I've ever used, as such, it's extremely difficult for me to say anything about it. For example, if I needed a bike, and now I have one and am riding it. If you ask me some questions, it's difficult for me to say, "Oh, I really missed this one on my first bike," unless I've ridden a few bikes. I'm not sure why everything is the way it is. I had a need, and I'm only using it now.

I'm trying to understand what else is out there and how it compares to what is out there.

I am able to use it. If I am able to use it, I would rate Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics an eight out of ten.

Fabio Xavier - PeerSpot reviewer
Director of Systems of the TCESP at a government with 501-1,000 employees
Simple analytics, good interface, and multiple database comparability
  • "The most valuable features of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics are the user experience because it is easy to make analyses, load different databases, and different resources. Our end users can do the analysis by themselves without IT supervising. This is a great aspect of the solution, it's better for our environment."
  • "Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can improve by increasing the size of the files that we can load on the platform. We have some files that are too large to be loaded and it would be a benefit to us if the limit was increased. Additionally, the way we use the tool for generating reports can be made better. They should add some drag-and-drop rules without the need of programming these rules using some programming language. It would be helpful if we did not need someone that was technically advanced to be able to do it with, such as someone with no IT background. Having a reporting tool without code would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics to find some evidence or outlier in our analysis about the application of the public health service and public money in the sector in Brazil. We are a public institution that is responsible for auditing other public institutions. We use these kinds of tools to find some evidence and outliers to audit with a little bit more documents or evidence.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics are the user experience because it is easy to make analyses, load different databases, and different resources. Our end users can do the analysis by themselves without IT supervising. This is a great aspect of the solution, it's better for our environment.

The interface of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics can improve by increasing the size of the files that we can load on the platform. We have some files that are too large to be loaded and it would be a benefit to us if the limit was increased. Additionally, the way we use the tool for generating reports can be made better. They should add some drag-and-drop rules without the need of programming these rules using some programming language. It would be helpful if we did not need someone that was technically advanced to be able to do it with, such as someone with no IT background. Having a reporting tool without code would be great.

I have been using Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics for approximately six years.

Microsoft Azure
RaniG - PeerSpot reviewer
Azure Data Specialist at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides a lot of design options, is very interactive and flexible
  • "Very interactive and provides flexibility."
  • "Documentation could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're using this solution for general data integration. We are customers of Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics and I'm a data specialist.

What is most valuable?

I like the solution because it's very interactive and provides flexibility. It's mostly a drag-and-drop procedure. It also provides a lot of design choices.

What needs improvement?

We've only recently starting testing this solution and it would be helpful if the documentation was better or if the company could provide some kind of presentation to help us understand how the tool works and what's required to optimize use of the solution.

We've been testing this solution for a couple of months.

I haven't seen any issues with stability or scalability. We have an infrastructure team of around 40 people.

The company chose Synapse Analytics because the price is fair and I understand it's cheaper than Snowflake.

We're also hoping to evaluate Snowflake which is an advanced version of both Azure and AWS together. Snowflake has advantages, especially in terms of scalability which can also be implemented separately at the storage level and also at the computer level.

What other advice do I have?

I think Synapse Analytics is definitely better than the traditional high solution data solutions that we've previously used. It's definitely worth considering and I haven't come across anything negative, only advantages for now.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Chief Data Architect - Europe at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Seamlessly integrates with Azure services, but should support cross-database queries
  • "Its seamless integration with Azure services is most valuable. If somebody wants to use all Azure services, it is the best solution."
  • "Its stability is an issue. They have been releasing a version every six months to one year, which means that there are many versions available, and clients are not up to speed on the latest one that they're offering. From a stability point of view, they could do better. They're still upgrading their Synapse Analytics workspace, and it is not that stable. Its scalability can also be better."

What is our primary use case?

It is useful for Azure services. I am using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its seamless integration with Azure services is most valuable. If somebody wants to use all Azure services, it is the best solution.

The ability to integrate with different Azure services from within the Synapse Analytics workspace is also valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its stability is an issue. They have been releasing a version every six months to one year, which means that there are many versions available, and clients are not up to speed on the latest one that they're offering. From a stability point of view, they could do better. They're still upgrading their Synapse Analytics workspace, and it is not that stable. Its scalability can also be better.

I would like to see support for cross-DB queries.

I have been working with this solution for three years.

Its stability is an issue because they're still upgrading the Synapse Analytics workspace.

It is scalable to a certain limit. It is not as scalable as Snowflake, but it is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

There are many available versions of Azure Synapse, such as Azure Synapse SQL Datawarehouse, Azure Synapse Analytics, and Azure Synapse Analytics workspace. You need to be aware of the features that you are looking for and accordingly choose the offering.

I would rate it a five out of 10.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Intwgrator
Co Founder & CTO at a manufacturing company with 1-10 employees
Provides good insights into vehicle data

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for gathering data and analytics. We provide insights into vehicle data. We gather millions of records per second and we have various millions of vehicles running across.

I have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for three years.

It could be more stable.

It is a Cloud platform and so it is easy to scale.

When it comes to first level support, most of the time it's not a technical issue, it's a configuration issue where data mismatches. I get support anytime I want. Within an hour I can get anybody on the call and get the issue resolved. They have a one-to-one support channel which we can email when we require assistance.

We installed Datawarehouse in a couple of minutes. However, the configuration based on our data models took time. It can take us weeks because that's where our optimization sits. Just tuning the parameters can take several days' at a time.

The price of the package is not expensive and depends on how much it is used.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse a nine out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft Azure Synapse Analytics Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022