We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
reviewer1441917
Information Technology Engineer at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
Bolsters security, improves performance, and the technical support is good
  • "Using Kemp as a front-facing service appliance, it allows me to have the flexibility of swapping out real servers behind the scenes without any intervention from my network team."
  • "If there is anything that needs to be updated, the GUI can get a refresh to make it look more like 2020, although it is just a cosmetic change."

What is our primary use case?

We have a small number of internal web servers that we host on-premises in our data center, along with other services that need to be accessible from the public internet. These include Remote Desktop servers, an SFTP server, Exchange, etc.

All of these servers need extra protection on top of our standard firewall, intrusion detection, and endpoint protection.

The primary use case of Kemp is the reverse proxy for added protection, and load balancing for better performance. We are able to leverage Kemp to protect our web servers by adding content rules and restrictions.

We will continue to add more resources as needed behind Kemp.

How has it helped my organization?

Kemp is a great product to have in our organization.

For our use case, it provides an additional security layer by using the reverse proxy process to protect my real servers. Using Kemp as a front-facing service appliance, it allows me to have the flexibility of swapping out real servers behind the scenes without any intervention from my network team.

Using the content rules restriction gives me the power to block off certain sections of the web pages if there is a need to do so. The load balancer aspect will allow me to optimally offload traffic evenly across my servers.

What is most valuable?

For now, the reverse proxy feature is a great feature used to protect my public-facing servers. It is configured to restrict/control certain protocols from hitting my actual servers.

Though not a feature of the product, tech support from the company is also a feature as part of the overall solution that is very valuable. I was able to get in touch with an engineer within a few minutes of calling the support line. I was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly once we restructured a few things within the environment.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the Kemp appliance seems to have performed very well for me over the years.

If there is anything that needs to be updated, the GUI can get a refresh to make it look more like 2020, although it is just a cosmetic change.

It would be a plus if there were a real-time live traffic capture that allows administrators to see the current traffic that is coming into the appliance. Currently, you can only start the TCPdump capture and have the information logged into a file.

Maybe a configurable dashboard to show more detail about each VS service would be welcome.

We have been using Kemp LoadMaster for three years.

KEMP is very stable as we have not had any downtime using this appliance.

Scalability-wise, it works very well for me.

Very pleased with the experience of talking to the tech support team.

We have another solution in place and we are currently planning to retire it, now that Kemp has been implemented.

The selection was made before I came on board.

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product and service support is awesome.

Other
reviewer1443183
System Administrator Senior Supervisor at Xceed
Enhances our security, availability, and performance
  • "The most valuable features for us are the Load Balancing and Web Application Firewall, as we have a lot of web applications."
  • "It has all types of logs and they are very detailed, but it's a little bit hard to search for a single event."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the Kemp LoadMaster is load balancing our exchange and IIS web services to be able to meet the high availability standard for our organization. We get additional security features so there is no need to make these configuration steps on a server again. With the offloading capability, you can even secure servers that normally can't be secured.

Currently, we are using it with our web servers and exchange, for both internal and external access. Also, the reverse proxy is one of the greatest benefits.

How has it helped my organization?

We use Kemp to improve the security and availability of our web properties to external customers and partners, as well as a custom banquet application that is accessed over a cloud connection.

The Kemp LoadMaster gives us load balancing/reverse proxy capabilities as well as a web application firewall to protect our web application environment and website.

We use the technology across the entire organization to solve the issue of site performance and availability issues of our applications to external users when booking and managing events.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the Load Balancing and Web Application Firewall, as we have a lot of web applications. It was difficult to meet the high availability without doubling most of the work. With the WAF, we can publish without risking our infrastructure being internet-facing.

The following features are also valuable:

• TLS (SSL) Offload
  • Layer 7 Content Switching
  • High Availability (Active/Standby)
  • Health Checking
  • Permit /Deny Access Control Lists
  • IP address filtering
  • IPsec Tunnel support
  • DDoS mitigation, including L7 rate-based attacks
  • IPSec VPN to Azure, AWS, vCloud Air public clouds
  • Authenticated NTP

What needs improvement?

From my point of view, the only minor thing that needed to be improved is log management. It has all types of logs and they are very detailed, but it's a little bit hard to search for a single event.

Log management is critical for investigating an attack or unwanted behavior. Since they have a lot of logs, it takes a lot of time to look for a specific event. Also, for the WAF, it would be great if they can provide a dashboard or insight dashboard for WAF logs.

other than that there is nothing need to be improved from kemp

We have been using Kemp LoadMaster for three years.

very stable, since 3 years we didn't face any issues

very easy to scale the solution

very helpful technical team

We used to work with Windows NLB, and we switched to Kemp to meet a higher level of stability and quality of service.

straightforward, using the documentation provided by kemp

in-house

This product has good value and features for the money.

Prior to choosing Kemp, we evaluated Zen Load Balancer and NGINX. Comparing price and features, Kemp was the best option for us.

What other advice do I have?

Basically, Kemp covers every critical thing that must be needed to complete the task at hand.

Learn what your peers think about Kemp LoadMaster. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
    564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    reviewer1442193
    Manager, Building and IT Infrastructure at Gaz Métro Plus, Inc.
    Reverse proxy enhances our security, and the support team is helpful
    • "When you configure the listening services, you can implement a lot of security features like the Edge Security Pack that intercepts the requests and processes those before they are sent to the real servers."
    • "I think there should be more visual instructions on how to configure advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Kemp as a reverse proxy for Microsoft Exchange. We are also using the product for load-balancing internal services.

The Kemp virtual appliance is installed in the DMZ and forwards the traffic to the internal servers. We configured the Edge Security Pack (ESP) so that the virtual appliance captures the credentials of the user, validates those against the authentication services, and then lets the user pass through.

Using this solution, it doesn't publish Exchange servers directly over the internet, thus providing security.

How has it helped my organization?

Having a reverse proxy is a secure way to protect access to inside services like Microsoft Exchange. With the ESP configured, we feel that the services are more protected from external threats. There's a lot of attacks possible on Exchange and we needed a solution that would prevent direct access to the web interfaces.

Having the virtual appliance sitting between the internet and the real servers, it intercepts the requests, process them, and can block unwanted requests with the Web Application Firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reverse proxy with ESP since it protects forms and provides authentication of web services.

There's an integrated Web Application Firewall module that you can activate to protect your online services. The module has an auto-update feature, where Kemp pushes the latest rules automatically to protect you against new threats.

What needs improvement?

The configuration of basic services is pretty straightforward but when you want to configure more advanced settings like the Edge Security Pack feature, it can be somewhat challenging! Even with the documentation, I had to contact the support to get help set this up properly. I think there should be more visual instructions on how to configure advanced features.

Support-wise, I've nothing to complain about. The support technicians are knowledgeable and were able to quickly help me set up and get things working.

The logging feature is somewhat archaic, as you have to go through text files. I think they should implement something more user-friendly for logging.

We've been using Kemp for several years. We used the physical appliances for about five years and we recently switched to the virtual.

We've been using the product for several years and it never crashed.

This product is pretty scalable with the virtual appliance.

Great support, fast and really professional.

Kemp was the first solution we used as a reverse proxy.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

We implemented in-house with help of Kemp support.

Nowadays, going with the virtual appliance is the easiest way and the cost is reasonable.

We did not evaluate other products before choosing Kemp. Instead, we looked at product reviews before purchasing.

reviewer1373811
    Consultant at DXC
    The features are not only reliable and stable but being an integrated solution makes troubleshooting and pinpointing issues much easier
    • "The base feature of Kemp LoadMaster load balancing ticks all the boxes but the most valuable features would be the security features Intrusion Prevention (IPS) and Web Application Firewall (WAF)."
    • "Overall, the Kemp LoadMaster has been an all-rounder great product and stable. The free trial and virtual edition make it a breeze for any potential customer to give it a spin before actually deciding to put it on the infrastructure or even talk to the CFO."

What is our primary use case?

The client required an infrastructure solution for the internal development team that was complaining regarding the performance and issues with the previous open-source solution. The usual infrastructure staging/development/production is available to the development team. Kemp LoadMaster serves as the internal load balancer for the application and web security layer with the Intrusion Prevention (IPS) and Web Application Firewall (WAF) that replace the opensource solution previously implemented.

How has it helped my organization?

Kemp LoadMaster has definitely reduced the complaints from the development team since its deployment. Even the administrators/support are pleased with the intuitive administrative portal and ease of usage. In terms of stability, the application is much more reliable and the security feature of Web Application Firewall (WAF) fully has the auditor requirement. With the virtual version of the Kemp LoadMaster, it was simply carving a virtual resource to spin up a virtual instance to test or put in use for another section.

What is most valuable?

The base feature of Kemp LoadMaster load balancing ticks all the boxes but the most valuable features would be the security features Intrusion Prevention (IPS) and Web Application Firewall (WAF). Both the features are not only reliable and stable but being an integrated solution makes troubleshooting and pinpointing the issue much easier than fumbling around on different devices/logs. The RESTful and PowerShell APIs are definitely come handy in this automation era and makes network development easy.

What needs improvement?

Overall, the Kemp LoadMaster has been an all-rounder great product and stable. The free trial and virtual edition make it a breeze for any potential customer to give it a spin before actually deciding to put it on the infrastructure or even talk to the CFO. Kemp could create a more structured lab oriented training program as part of its certification bundled with an online cloud lab that makes it easy for a client to learn and try out the Kemp LoadMaster immediately. The sales team would also benefit from this cloud lab service.

It has been roughly about a year plus since the solution was deployed for the client.

The Kemp LoadMaster perform extremely well and stable during the POC testing and actual going live with the users.

Very scalable product.

Technical support is smooth and responsive.

We previously used a different solution and we switched mainly due to cost restriction.

Straightforward setup.

The deployment was done through a vendor team.

There must be a balance between cost and features. Going opensource usually goes up in terms of learning/training cost.

We evaluated F5, HA proxy, NGINX.

Microsoft Azure
    reviewer1374081
    Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    The load balancer is stable and meets the customer's expectations
    • "The most valuable feature that I found is the load balancing feature, it is the core function of the product."
    • "Third, the password history restriction needs improvement. For example, the password policy will restrict the user to always use a unique password combination. The password should not be reused for a minimum of three generations of passwords."

What is our primary use case?

Our use case included product testing on how to configure the load balancing products.

My primary use case is to deploy the load balancer. We provide the deployment professional service to the end-user. Due to Singapore's government policy, government sectors do not allow the connection of the internet. Therefore, we will be the hands and legs of the Kemp professional service. We will seek advice from the Kemp professional service team before and after every time we onsite to the customer's site.

How has it helped my organization?

As a partner of Kemp Technologies, we're using the load balancers as a demo and testing environment. This helps us in providing product issue support for load balancers.

Other than that, the demo is also conducted during product introduction, pre-sales stage.

Next, we also conduct feature testing on Kemp's load balancing products.

Functional testing is done on our environment before we implement to a customer's environment. Other than that, we can also try to simulate the customer's issues when we were handling support cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature that I found is the load balancing feature, it is the core function of the product.

The load balancer is stable and met the customer's expectations. So far, there have not been any issues reported on the basic load balancing functions.

Besides that, there is also a load balancing mode that fits into the customer's requirements. This also gives more choice for the customer to change their load balancing mode in the future due to the yearly improvement of the audit requirement.

What needs improvement?

I would like to give some advice on security improvement:

• First, is the password complexity's restriction. For example, there should be a password restriction policy on the password that only can be made up of a minimum of 12 alphanumeric characters with upper & lower cases.
    • Second, is the password age restriction. For example, the password should be changed at least every 90 days.
    • Third, the password history restriction needs improvement. For example, the password policy will restrict the user to always use a unique password combination. The password should not be reused for a minimum of three generations of passwords.
    • Last but not the least, the default administrator account should be able to rename. This is to prevent a hacker to use brute force attack on the known default administrator ID.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

We have fewer issues reported from the end-user. The support response is fast.

So far scalability has been good.

Technical support is good. So far every case is handled properly.

We did not previously use a different solution.

We implemented through the vendor team. They are very experienced.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're the partner of Kemp Technologies
    reviewer1443225
    Cloud Architect at Gallup Organization
    Improved uptime and reduced need for maintenance, with a support team that is both knowledgeable and helpful
    • "The Global WAF has saved us more than one time from unwanted traffic."
    • "Over the last several major versions, the GUI has remained virtually unchanged and still seems lacking."

What is our primary use case?

We use this to load balance internal and external IT systems ranging from a few connections per minute to well over 10k connections per minute.

We also leverage the Global WAF features that Kemp offers.

We run these LoadMasters in an HA environment, to better allow for failovers and increased uptime. We use to balance HTTP/HTTPS traffic on the public internet for public sites, some with near 0k connections per minute. We also use to balance internal IT services such as LDAP, LDAPS, and DNS through various VIPs.

How has it helped my organization?

Kemp has greatly improved our uptime, reduced time we spend on maintenance, and increased the reliability/trust we have in our load balancing system.

We had issues with the network architecture that was needed with our previous balancing system, and we found that we could run a much simpler network setup with the Kemp HA pair.

We can now avoid scheduled downtimes for infrastructure events, through the use of Kemp's HA setup and multiple real servers behind each VIP.

HA failovers are seamless and have allowed for a huge improvement in agility and flexibility in our environment.

What is most valuable?

We leverage HTTP/HTTPS  load balancing, WAF, and DNS load balancing the most. We have found Kemp to be the most reliable for these services and have not had any issues at all.

The Global WAF has saved us more than one time from unwanted traffic.

HTTPS/HTTP balancing has been smooth and Kemp handles extremely high traffic loads with ease. We really also like the ability to do LDAP/LDAPS balancing for our internal customers.  This allows for a more smooth experience for our end users and for our internal applications.

What needs improvement?

The one area that really could be improved upon is the GUI. Over the last several major versions, the GUI has remained virtually unchanged and still seems lacking. Since there is no "save" or "confirm" button, it is very easy to accidentally make a change on a live, production VIP, or endpoint.

Adding some sort of saving or confirming mechanism in the GUI would be nice and would make it seem more modern. This is not a show stopper for us, but really just a "nice to have".

Overall, there is little that needs to be improved with this product.

We have been using Kemp LoadMaster for six years.

They are very stable and reliable. We have had no issues at all over the last six years.

This product is very easy to scale up and grow. If in an HA pair, it can be done without downtime.

Support is a ten out of ten. They are quick to answer and very knowledgeable from the start.  They are far better than other IT vendors I have worked with.

reviewer1475778
    Managing Computers & Telephone System Infrastructure at Techjet
    Easy to implement, good support, and it helps keep email synchronized in a geographically diverse team
    • "The most valuable features are synchronizing email with mobile devices and synchronizing with Outlook."
    • "We have experienced at least one problem with stability, although it was fixed with an upgrade."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is to synchronize mail to mobile devices and specifically, the Outlook application on laptops.

I have a virtualized environment that contains Exchange Server 2016 and I need a service in the DMZ that knows how to handle emails that have arrived, as a reverse proxy product.

My employees are using mobile phones like Samsung. They need to be able to send and receive emails anywhere with their mobile phones and laptops, so now, for about one year, we are working with Kemp and the users are satisfied. There is no complaining, as they had done before.

How has it helped my organization?

Using Kemp LoadMaster has solved the problems that I was having with my previous solution, PineApp.

What needs improvement?

We have been using Kemp LoadMaster for one year.

The product is stable and very easy to implement. Since it was installed, there has been one small problem that has been resolved in a version upgrade.

The product does its job for the users and I do not receive any complaints.

I recently had one small glitch when syncing to an iPhone. I received support that was courteous, polite, professional, and fast.

Prior to this, I had a product from Cybonet called PineApp.

It is supposed to perform as a  reverse proxy and synchronize emails to mobiles phone and Outlook but I had a lot of issues and it did not work smoothly. I asked them to suggest to me what to do and they told me that they can only handle 20 to 30 users. They said that if I wanted me then I need to purchase another dedicated product.

I was not satisfied and this caused me to replace it.

As I mentioned earlier the installation went smoothly without any issues with the help of the company support

I was helped by the KEMP support team and they were very professional and would be happy to work with them

The product definitely provides what the organization needs and its cost is reasonable considering the value it brings.

What other advice do I have?

At this time, the only features that the organization needs are the synchronization of emails to mobile devices and Outlook, so overall, we are satisfied with this product.

I would definitely recommend the product to my friends.

IT Director at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
    Reliable, easy to set up, and can increase your security score
    • "Mitigates content security policy issues."
    • "UI is very basic and unattractive."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of this solution is as a web application firewall.

How has it helped my organization?

Kemp mitigated our cross-scripting vulnerabilities, cookie-related issues, and content security policy issues. Instead of working on each application, we can do everything with Kemp. In addition, using Kemp has raised our site score from average to fully-secured.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that Kemp can be integrated with our active directory, so then we can use ESP. Then SSL certificates can be hosted or deployed from Kemp rather than going through the application.

What needs improvement?

The UI is very basic and not very attractive, so this could be an area for improvement. In the next release, I would like to see global load balancing and the ability to connect to networks not physically attached to the individual device (VPNs or point-to-point connections, for example).

I have been using this solution for three years.

Kemp is very reliable.

I had some difficulty getting the correct load balances, but it's very reliable otherwise.

I have had no issues at all with their support team.

I previously used an open-source version of this solution, but it was very hard to maintain and suffered frequent crashes, so we switched to Kemp for better reliability. I also used Citrix, but the use case for it is completely different than for Kemp.

The initial setup was very straightforward, requiring only around an hour of configuration.

A team wasn't required because the product is straightforward.

Our aim in implementing Kemp was to improve our security posture and increase our security ratings because we were losing business due to our rating being a bit low. Once we implemented Kemp and shared our new security scorecard, our projects got extended, so I believe that Kemp has helped to bring us more business.

We pay around $10,000 a year for licensing. There are no additional costs.

I evaluated the on-premises version of Citrix but found Kemp to be more helpful, while Citrix was more expensive and not very user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

Each and every organization that hosts applications should have this solution. I would rate this solution as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)