Director at a engineering company with 51-200 employees
Easy to add more storage, reasonably-priced, and reliable
  • "It is reliable, and it seems like a solid product. It has been working well so far."
  • "The speed of the hard disk could be better. The performance is the main issue for us. The performance of the VMs is not comparable to desktop machines, for instance, and we might need another solution to improve the performance. Other than that, we don't have any issues. We already have a great part of storage with SSDs, and the performance is not as good as I expected."

What is our primary use case?

It is for shared storage for virtual machines running VMware.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for about three years.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is stable. I didn't have any issues.

It is scalable. You can add storage quite easily.

We have only 10 users. It is a small system.

I never contacted HPE support because I have a selling partner,  but we didn't have many issues. So, we rarely needed any support.

Its initial setup was done by our partner, who has previous experience. So, it was relatively easy.

It is reasonable. As compared to other solutions, it doesn't seem to be much different.

I tried to look, but it was more about the products that our IT partner had available than me choosing. They had previous experience with HPE and 3PAR, and they recommended it to us, and we followed their advice.

What other advice do I have?

I can't compare it with other brands because we only have this system.

I would advise having some reference implementation that you can test and see if it's good for your needs. In my case, I would have liked to have the opportunity to test it first to see if it's good for our use case, but I couldn't.

I would rate it an eight out of 10. Performance is the only thing that I would like them to improve.

Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
Data storage, LANs and virtual volumes are very well managed
  • "The intelligence around the solution is good."
  • "Scalability and management could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for multiple business applications, with SharePoint, our internal management system and Exchange 2016. We are customers of HPE 3PAR and I'm a system engineer.

What is most valuable?

I think the main thing of value to me is the intelligence around the solution and how data is taken care of on the storage side of things, with your LANs and your virtual volumes and how it sort of manages everything else.

What needs improvement?

The scalability could be improved plus management. Currently, you can only identify what's connected to it through the system names and the like and it would be helpful to have an overview of everything that comes to it. It's easy to upsize but you can't downsize.

We've been using this solution for about seven years.

This is a stable solution.

The product used to be very scalable but its end of life will be in about a year so there's no point to upgrade or enhance it.

The support is quite good and we'll continue to use this product.

The initial setup is complex, it requires you to do your volumes, fibre channel volume from the switch and the same connection from the storage. You also need to make sure you've created warning profiles. I don't recall how long the primary setup took, but the secondary one took us four to six hours to get it going. We used a consultant and we have 1,200 users.
We have about six people involved in maintenance, they are admins.

What other advice do I have?

The product is at end of life so although we'll continue to use it, I wouldn't recommend it.

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ
November 2022
655,465 professionals have used our research since 2012.
JohnMitchell - PeerSpot reviewer
Head Of Information Technology Division at a construction company with 11-50 employees
A tier-1 storage system that offers rapid and automated provisioning
  • "The features which are most valuable are the availability of the system and the management."
  • "We do see room for improvement, especially in regard to expanding the defined storage areas."

What is our primary use case?

This solution hosts our core banking system. Mostly everyone in the bank uses it — about 1,000 users.

What needs improvement?

The alerting system could also be improved. If there are issues with the system, it's supposed to send emails and SMS alerts — this could be improved.

I have been using this product since 2017 — about five years.

It's very stable. It has never broken down.

It's scalable. Only now it has reached end-of-life.

The technical support is very good.

We were working with an HPE storage called HPE EVA. We switched over to HPE 3PAR StoreServ because EVA's technology was end-of-life.

The initial setup was complex because we didn't have experience with it.

We had a consultant set it up for us. It took about a month.

This solution is expensive. We pay every year for support. It's a lump sum because we pay for data center support services, and everything is included in one.

Currently, we're looking at HPE Primera and Nimble Storage

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good system, especially the All-Flash system. That's quite good. The only downside is the price — otherwise, the product is perfect. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Helder Valente - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure and Networks at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Flexible, stable, scalable, no licensing fees, and good support
  • "It works well and we don't have any issues with this solution."
  • "I would like to see more storage, a better interface, and to move from mechanical disks."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for everything. We have server files and we have SQL's.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution.

What needs improvement?

Currently, we are finishing the possible quotation to upgrade the 3PAR we have here in Portugal.

It's a case of obsolescence. Since we have had the machine for four years we must remove the old one to put in the new one.

I have been using this solution for four years.

We have had the solution for four years and the software has been updated.

It's a stable solution.

This is a scalable product. We have approximately 1,000 users in our organization.

We are considering the possibility of a move to Primera or PowerMax.

We have contacted technical support and it's pretty good.

We purchased VMAX three years ago.

We also used the NetApp Series but decided to go with 3PAR.

The initial setup is straightforward with the help of the technicians from the company.

The deployment was completed in one week.

We had help from a consulting integration company for the deployment.

We also have a production team of 34 admins and engineers to deploy and maintain this solution.

We don't pay for any licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

We would recommend this solution to others.

It works well and we don't have any issues with it.

I would rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ a ten out of ten.

GM at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
Robust, feature-rich, straightforward to set up, and the support is good
  • "This is a very robust product and it offers everything that we are looking for."
  • "There is a slight difference between what we expected and what was delivered."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product as our primary storage.

We are in the manufacturing industry and we use the HPE 3PAR StoreServ to store our company data and then we can retrieve it as required.

What is most valuable?

All of the features this storage product has, work well.

This is a very robust product and it offers everything that we are looking for.

What needs improvement?

There is a slight difference between what we expected and what was delivered.

I have been working with HPE 3PAR StoreServ for the past three years.

This is a very stable storage solution and we plan to continue using it.

This product is scalable and we have more than 100 users. We are planning to increase the amount of storage space.

We are satisfied with the HP Enterprise technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

HPE installed it for us and we did not hire a third-party consultant to assist with it.

This product is a little bit costly, although this is because it is a high-quality product.

There was a one-time cost when we procured this product and there are no monthly or yearly licensing fees.

We purchased this solution with an open tender and we invited several vendors to present their products.

What other advice do I have?

In general, this product works well. That said, it is not perfect because there is always a difference between what we expect and what is delivered. There has to be a gap.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Scalable, highly stable, and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The main use for this solution is for storing large data in the backend. It is used in many companies, such as financial institutions. Unfortunately, it has come to the end of service life, companies are going to other solutions because there are cheaper products, it cost too much to maintain the 3PAR.

What needs improvement?

HPE could improve by making an old flash system in order to compete with the current market. For the solution to be more competitive in the mid-range market they could increase the performance.

I have been using HPE 3PAR StoreServ for approximately 10 years.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable and we have approximately 10 customers using this solution.

The technical support is very good.

The time it takes for the installation depends on the number of enclosures. However, the average time is approximately six hours. The most time-consuming part is doing the scaling.

Most of the installation is done by the HPE because at the time of the installation there were not any engineers trained. We had approximately two engineers that were new to the product and we did the installation with the help of the HPE engineers remotely.

We have three engineers doing the maintenance of the solution.

If HPE reduced the price of 3PAR StoreServ they would be more attractive to mid-range companies.

What other advice do I have?

At this time I would not recommend this solution because it is at the end of its service life.

I rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ a nine out of ten.

Director of Technology Services at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Secure, stable, scalable, and has good support
    • "The interface could be improved to match the system."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our financial system.

What needs improvement?

The interface could be improved to match the system.

The initial setup could be simplified.

I have been using HPE 3PAR StoreServ for three years.

We are using a 3PAR 8800.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is a stable solution. We haven't had it go down.

It's a scalable solution.

Our experience with technical support was good.

We did not use any other solution previously.

The initial setup was complex.

I would suggest that you don't install it on your own, and you get help from an HPE solution provider or an architect to assist you with that.

We had help from an HPE solution provider.

You are not spending that money to truly get ROI on the equipment. You are basically trusting that device to keep you safe.

We have had it for three years and we haven't had one hiccup. It was money well spent. The $60,000 was well spent.

We purchased the total package for approximately $60,000. That was purchasing it outright.

We are an HP shop. It was natural for us to go with HPE for the storage solution. When we were looking, there were other solutions out there such as Dell EMC but we opted not to go with them. We decided to stick with an HPE brand solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ and eight out of ten.

Storage Infrastructure Engineer at Cambridge Health Alliance
    Full featured, great support, and easy to use
    • "HPE 3PAR StoreServ is easy to use, fully featured and has a great graphical user interface."
    • "The configuration and flexibility should improve."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE 3PAR StoreServ for all the storage needs for the hospital I work at.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE 3PAR StoreServ has improved our organization from its ease of use and high availability.

What is most valuable?

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is easy to use, fully featured, and has a great graphical user interface.

What needs improvement?

The configuration and flexibility should improve.

I have been using HPE 3PAR StoreServ for approximately seven years.

I have found the stability to be very high.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ is scalable but it has limits.

We have approximately 5,000 users using this solution across all departments. The solution is being extensively used in our organization.

The vendor support is very helpful.

The configuration is difficult but we had help from HPE 3PAR StoreServ. The whole process of the implementation took approximately one week.

We used vendor support to help us with the implementation of HPE 3PAR StoreServ. The representative was excellent.

We have one administrator that does the maintenance and upgrades of the solution.

The licensing cost for HPE 3PAR StoreServ is expensive.

We have evaluated the IBM FlashSystem solution and we are switching everything over from HPE 3PAR StoreServ.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to those wanting to implement this solution would be to find a good reseller who has expertise in HPE 3PAR StoreServ.

I rate HPE 3PAR StoreServ an eight out of ten.

Download our free HPE 3PAR StoreServ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022