IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Team Leader Presales at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Great for hosting virtual infrastructure with helpful technical support and good performance
  • "We're hosting virtual infrastructure on the 3PAR storage and it's been very good for that."
  • "The product is quite expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We've only used this solution for two instances. Most of the time we are using HP MSA fiber channel storage, the 1060 or 2060. We primarily use the solution for virtualization. We're hosting virtual machines on the 3PAR storage.

What is most valuable?

We're hosting virtual infrastructure on the 3PAR storage and it's been very good for that. The product is stable.

What needs improvement?

The product is quite expensive. The costs involved are high. We would like the product to make it more of a straightforward procedure when we need to configure storage. There were quite a lot of options and parameters that we don't have knowledge of. We used some external company to make the configuration for us, for the 3PAR storage.

We've been using the solution for a few years at this point.
HPE 3PAR StoreServ
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE 3PAR StoreServ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability of the product is good. They offer good performance. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches.

We haven't attempted to scale the solution yet. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy it would be to expand it.  That said, from what I've seen, it does appear to be simple to scale.  We have 100 users on the product right now. At this point, we do not have plans to increase usage.

We've contacted technical support from HP for 3PAR in the past. We needed to upgrade the firmware of the storage. We needed some support from HP, which was excellent. We are satisfied so far. There have been no issues.

We did not previously use a different solution. We're aware of a few different storage options. 3PAR, Nimble, and Premier Storage are pretty expensive. This brings the cost up too high for some projects.

I didn't handle the initial setup or the configuration. I can't speak to how the setup went, however, it was my understanding that it was a bit complex. There was two or three technical personnel that were used to handle the initial setup. They were admins and engineers.

It is my understanding that we had an external company configure the storage. It is not so straightforward, as far as I remember.

It's a very expensive product. Companies need to be aware of that going in.

What other advice do I have?

I cannot recommend 3PAR. Most of the cases can be covered with entry-level storage, which is the HP MSA. 3PAR is needed for some quite big platforms or environments. Most of the time, the entry-level MSA storage is more than enough. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

System Administrator at CDBL
Useful features and reliable performance
  • "We use all the features, but some of the most valuable are the replication, priority optimization, provisioning, and deduplication. There are a lot of good features in this product."
  • "The GUI interface could be improved. I have been having trouble with one issue in particular. If you look at the DC and DR, if there is a communication break and the link went down—so the data is not replicating from DC to DR—there is no way to find out how much data is ready for transmission. Only the size of the data that needs to be transferred after the link comes up. If the firewall link is down, there is no way of seeing how much data is waiting to be transferred. This is a weak point of 3PAR."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to store all share market data. It's a depository system and we store the share market data and transactions in the central repository. This solution is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

I have been using 3PAR for five years.

This solution is stable and reliable. It has good performance and we have a team of three to monitor the 3PAR on a daily basis. The required technology is smarter, so in terms of on-site utilization, it's very good.

This solution is scalable. If I need more storage, they can just plug in to add it. I haven't faced this issue yet, but it seems like an easy process. I believe 3PAR is most suitable for small or medium sized companies.

HPE's technical support is very good, compared to other vendors. I appreciate their support.

The initial setup process is simple and straightforward. The HPE team handled most of it, but we take care of the day-to-day monitoring. If I test an issue and communicate with their team, they provide online support. If we need physical hardware, they provide the physical hardware.

The HPE partner team helped us with deployment.

I'm not sure on the pricing of this product because a different team handled that. I'm on the engineering team, so I handle the maintenance and those sorts of operations.

What other advice do I have?

I rate 3PAR a nine out of ten. Maybe there are better storage options, but from my experience 3PAR's performance is better than the other storage solutions I have used. The market has other big storage options, but I don't have experience in those. As of now, we are satisfied with this solution and I would recommend it to others.

HPE 3PAR StoreServ
June 2022
606,596 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Tomas Stasek - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT Department at Sonepar
Good performance, proactive monitoring and support , and quick to deploy
  • "We never had a blackout and we have never been offline."
  • "The price of this solution should be lower."

What is our primary use case?

The StorServ is the main storage for our infrastructure. Our ERP system runs on it, as well as 15 other servers including Active Directory, synchronization servers, and more.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good. This is a full-flash storage device and it is very quick.

HPE monitors each storage device and if there are any problems, such as an issue with a hard drive, the technical support will quickly and proactively contact us to change the part.

What needs improvement?

The price of this solution should be lower.

We have been using our current HPE 3PAR for the past year and a half. For the previous six years, we had an older version of 3PAR storage.

3PAR is a stable product. We have used the current device and an older version for more than seven years and although we had accidents with nodes and hard drives, it is high-availability storage. We never had a blackout and we have never been offline.

With respect to the capacity, it is easy to add to. We just have to get more boxes with hard drives. We have quite a small environment so, in terms of scalability, it's okay for us. We have never needed to expand.

There are four of us who administer the 3PAR. I am an IT manager and I have three colleagues in my team.

The technical support is tremendous.

I have worked with other storage products from Dell, although that was more than ten years ago. The reason that we switched to HPE was the comparison between performance and price.

The 3PAR is high-level storage and at the time, it was cheaper than the competitors.

The implementation was done by our partner and it took less than a day to complete. It was deployed within approximately five hours.

The deployment was completed by a gold HPE partner. They delivered the storage devices in addition to the ESXi servers that we ordered.

Any maintenance that needs to be done, such as updating the firmware on the devices, is the responsibility of our external partner. We don't have experience in this field.

This product is quite expensive and in addition, we subscribe to 24/7 support with a four-hour response time.

What other advice do I have?

HPE is a vendor that I recommend in general, and especially for storage solutions.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Presales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Performs well, the support is good, and it is a stable product
    • "This product has come to the end of its lifecycle."

What is our primary use case?

We use the StoreServ as our main storage device. We have one unit in the main site and the other in the DR site, with replication between them. We have a file server running, it hosts our database, and it acts as our Exchange server.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

This product has come to the end of its lifecycle. We could keep it for many years but we are following the recommendation from HPE and are looking to either the Nimble or the Primera.

This is an expensive product, so the price could be reduced.

We have been using the HPE 3PAR StoreServ in our organization for about five years.

This is a stable product.

This solution is scalable. We have 50 users in our company and our clients have approximately 500 people who are using it.

Technical support is perfect.

We did a comparison in the market, and HPE was the best service providers for regular configuration and for the remote configuration.

Previously, we were using HPE MSA.

The installation, which included migration from our old system, took approximately one week.

The HPE partner installed this solution for us.

We have an IT member in our organization to maintain it, but we have a support contract with a center that is a supporter of HPE. They provide us with support and services. This is not only for storage but for everything that is included.

The SSD is a little bit expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We are now thinking about transitioning to the HPE Nimble or Primera, although not this year. This may happen in 2022. We plan to continue using this solution for performance, and availability. We are following the recommendation of HPE. They have recently started to mention the Primera and Nimble, which is why we are studying them.

We are not looking as much at Nimble because we are interested in the 100% availability that Primera has. The Primera is a little more expensive than the Nimble, so this is something that we have to think about.

This is a good solution and I can recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Sr, Storage Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Straightforward with good duplication but the replication is a bit complicated
    • "The solution offers good stability."
    • "The replicating software is pretty complicated. I probably would have put it on a sequence."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for Oracle Databases. We're are also using it for VMware and NetBackup. It's one of the storage solutions for NetBackup.

What is most valuable?

The primary system comes with not too much software and is pretty simple and straightforward. You're not really using too much. The solution doesn't make things that are too complicated.

The replicating software is very good and the duplication part of it is very efficient.

Technical support is pretty good.

The solution offers good stability.

It has a good ability to scale.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for about a year now. It hasn't been too long.

The stability of the solution is pretty good. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

In general, the solution can scale. That shouldn't be a problem.

The technical support on offer is very nice. They are knowledgeable and responsive. We're very satisfied with their level of service so far.

We were using Synergy. The company wanted to go to an all-flash drive. At the time, HPE was one of the biggest manufacturers of all-flash drive. Therefore, it made sense to switch.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward. It was easy to go back and look at it. It wasn't too complex at all.

The solution is moderately priced. It's not the cheapest, nor is it the most expensive option.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

Anyone interested in any solution should probably research the software that comes with their own system a little bit better. If you do that, there's a chance that you might not buy some of the things that we bought and that were defaulted on setup. That was not good. Knowing what works together well will help in the long run. Don't be afraid if a third-party asks you questions. They're probably just trying to get to the bottom of how your setup looks.

I'd rate the solution six out of ten overall.

ICT Director KA Infra at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Obsolete, stable, overall great support
    • "The technical support is good."
    • "The performance of the solution is not good anymore and the software is different from all the other types and is not compatible. There are more negative things at this moment than positive. This is why we are removing them all from our organization this year."

What is our primary use case?

We have used HPE 3PAR Flash Storage in the past for all our IT data. For example, we have used it for claims, office management, business intelligence, business information. It can be used for a lot of purposes.

What needs improvement?

The performance of the solution is not good anymore and the software is different from all the other types and is not compatible. There are more negative things at this moment than positive. This is why we are removing them all from our organization this year.

I have been using HPE 3PAR Flash Storage for approximately 10 years.

The solution is stable.

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage was scalable in the past but in the current market, it is a four out of ten. You are not able to add more power to the solution, it is not stackable.

We have approximately 6,000 users using this solution.

The technical support is good.

I have used Nimble and Primera.

The installation is not that difficult nowadays. It takes approximately two days.

When we need to do the implementation HPE comes with us and does it together with our maintenance department and an external company.

We have three engineers that do the maintenance of the solution.

The price of the license depends. Some people expect more from the hardware. Some expect more from the licensing, and that is because you can receive several licenses nowadays, such as the terabyte license. You buy the storage, and you pay extra for the terabyte license for the software. There is a one-time purchase for the license and you pay annually for the maintenance.

I have evaluated NetApp.

What other advice do I have?

HPE 3PAR Flash Storage is old and is obsolete and we are moving to newer versions of the system.

HPE has several storage options, such as Nimble. HPE has a lot of operating systems for their storage, and they all have a different approach. They were all from different companies which HPE bought, for example, Nimble and Primera.

I would not recommend this solution anymore. I would advise others to look for new types of storage solutions.

I rate HPE 3PAR Flash Storage a four out of ten.

Ricky Santos - PeerSpot reviewer
    System Administrator at ON Semiconductor Phils. Inc.
    Fast, reliable, and provides disaster recovery for our database-related storage
    • "Remote-copy provides high availability and disaster recovery for the connected clients."
    • "The cloud-based monitoring Infosight would be better if users are automatically enrolled in the cloud/group based on the configuration or information gathered or uploaded on the internet."

What is our primary use case?

We have deployed HPE 3PAR systems on all database-related storage including MSSQL and Oracle. All of the SQL databases are running on VMware, and the database-related storage is mounted as RDM. The Oracle database is mounted directly to HPE 3PAR with remote-copy enabled.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE 3PAR provides fast and reliable storage for our critical systems like the database (MSSQL and Oracle). It also improved the availability of the system and at the same time provides a Disaster Recovery solution by using the remote-copy feature.

The adaptive optimization is also a factor in maximizing the capability of the system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are Remote-copy and Adaptive Optimization.

The Adaptive Optimization provides tiering and optimizes the storage requirement of the client based on its load from time to time.

What needs improvement?

The auto-discovery of the system is not easy for first-time users.

I have been using this solution for 5 years.

This is one of the best solutions if you want to have a stable and highly reliable system.

This is a highly scalable system.

Technical support assisted us with a smooth and fast installation.

Previously we were using HP EVA but since this is an old solution, we wanted to upgrade. We wanted to try a newer solution with almost the same features, like HPE 3PAR.

The initial setup for this solution is indeed straightforward, although HP will not allow non-HP engineers to do the initial setup.

The implementation was completed by an HP engineer through the vendor.

The cost is reasonable given that the licensing is all included once you purchase it.

We did not evaluate other options before choosing this solution.

What other advice do I have?

The setup is pretty straightforward but HP only allows their engineers to do the setup. This gives us peace of mind for the setup.

Solution Architech at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    A storage solution with a useful team provisioning feature, but cloud integration could be better
    • "I like that 3PAR can remake the disk online. That's one of the best features because when we first started, that was the best. The team provisioning feature was also a good one. Those features are the best for me, provisioning and online optimization, and the tier you can have for storage."
    • "Cloud integration could be better. They can also add an NVMe to port to that. I would like to see NVMe in the next release. That's the future or the near future for storage. That will give us a real high throughput and some performance."

What is our primary use case?

We use it mostly for databases and file share.

What is most valuable?

I like that 3PAR can remake the disk online. That's one of the best features because when we first started, that was the best. The team provisioning feature was also a good one. Those features are the best for me, provisioning and online optimization, and the tier you can have for storage.

What needs improvement?

Cloud integration could be better. They can also add an NVMe to port to that. I would like to see NVMe in the next release. That's the future or the near future for storage. That will give us a real high throughput and some performance.

I have been working with HPE 3PAR StoreServ for about ten years or since the beginning when the product was in the market.

It's quite stable. The only problem that I have found with this product is when you are missing storage space. When you lack storage space, and the disk is full is when you have most of the problems with this product. But if you don't have these issues, you'll almost never have a problem with it.

Scalability could be better. I think it's getting short right now, and another product has more scalability. This product, I think, is medium if that's acceptable. I don't know how to measure it.

I think it's excellent. I actually think they are very good.

The initial setup is easy. It takes between two to four hours to upload the functions.

It's a good price.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to run this solution, I would say that this product is mostly dying from my point of view. If you're my customer, I would recommend not to buy a 3PAR because there are a lot of new products. I would recommend Nimble, depending on the size, or a Primera if they need a really big solution.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE 3PAR StoreServ a seven.

Download our free HPE 3PAR StoreServ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022